PlaymakerMo
Years ago

2014/15 Player Points Rankings Released

Article: http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/7hatkqin7737151xndvl5u7n7

"This year it includes a loyalty discount as a major change for the 2014/15 season."

Topic #34343 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson a 9!

Reply #472137 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Direct link to the PDF

Quick thoughts, ignoring some imports who are obviously rated high:

Schenscher high at 8?
McCamey high at 10
Ballinger high at 7
Hire touch high at 7
Drake U'u high at 4 ;)
Madgen high at 10, should be a 9 after that season?
Coenraad low at 6? Thought his season was more a 7

At first look, seems around the mark to me.

Reply #472141 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

God they are still persisting with this crap?

Reply #472143 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

How is t. Jervis and l.davidson ranked the same????

Reply #472145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Zealand:
Wilson 9, Cadee 5, Import 10, Vukona 9, Abercrombie 8, Pledger 7, Corletto 7, Webster 4 and Te Rangi 1 = 70 ;)

Reply #472146 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I think Corletto is high, Madgen is high and Hire and Ballanger should be 6.

Reply #472164 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Bad luck if your club folds, you lose your loyalty bonus.

Reply #472168 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

New Zealand not in a bad position with their 6 contracted players only taking up 36 of the 70 points and having both import spots to fill. If they can snag St Louis Billiken Rob Loe as backup to Alex Pledger (would he be a 3 as a former NCAA player?) that would leave them with potentially 30points for those last 3 spots 2 of which are Imports.

? (10)/ ? (10)
Corletto(7)/Webster(4)
Abercrombie(8)/TeRangi(1)
Vukona(9)/? (10)
Pledger(7)/Loe(3)

They can go for an Import PG & an Import SG and try to get a decent Aus/NZ PF to back up Vukona.
Alternatively they can chase an Import PG and the other Import can be more of a combo guard and again try and snag a decent local to backup Vukona.
The other option is chase a stud local PG to back up an Import PG and get an Import to backup Vukona.

Jason Cadee (5)
Casey Frank (6)
Daniel Dillon (6)

With 10 points available in either position, are there any better locals available who aren't under contract?

Reply #472169 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Bad luck if your club folds, you lose your loyalty bonus. "

and your job...

Reply #472170 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Probably around the mark and I am sure there is a way you could do it via DT points per minute played. (would that vary per position played though?)

While Luke has had a renaissance, an 8 is too much I would suggest, maybe 7 considering where he is at with his career. BJ @ 5 - possible 3 or 4?

Weigh @ 7? Mitch Young v good value @ 5.

Worthington @ 9 would be worth it under a good coach who can tease that out of him. Tomlinson v good at 7.

Breakers looking good. Corletto could be a point or 2 down for the same reason as Luke. A useful bloke in a squad and brings experience and leadership, but at the twilight end of his career.

Perth look a little hard done by with those 10's, but as we keep on getting told, they are the best team going around. Erik excellent value at a 2 would be a perfect "book end" to complete a roster.

Garlepp excellent value at a 7. Harvey a 5 maybe makes a point that after 10 seasons, or 200 games, you should apply a couple of "veteran concession points"

Townsville and Wollongong can't really complain. Oscar Forman an 8? Is that his higher points ranking of his career??

Reply #472171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm under the impression that every player should appeal their points rating and try to get it lowered.

That could take up most of the NBL's offseason.

Reply #472174 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I thought Garlepp was pretty decent last season. Played some solid defence and took his opportunities offensively when they presented themselves without forcing it.
He would be a nice poach.

Reply #472175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some guys in LA might be coming off contract soon.
I'm guessing Chris Paul is a 10 but maybe we could get Blake Griffin downgraded to a 6 on loyalty rewards...

Reply #472176 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Breakers
Import(10)/Webster (4)
Penney (10)/Corletto (7)
Abercrombie (8)/Te Rangi (1)
Vukona (9)/ Cheaper Import (10) would look for an import from the NZ League. Maybe Jamal Boykin from Nelson.
Pledger (7)/Loe (3)
Not sure they'll be able to get Penney though. CJ's salary will free up cap space. I'd look at Bartlett. Either way Websters points rising next year will be used.

Reply #472177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mostly ok, as others have said there are a few a little high, but not too bad.

I'd like to see the 36ers go with

C Schenscher (9)/Frank(6)
PF Petrie (8)/Anthony (5)
SF Import (10)/Creek (6)
SG Gibson (10)/Teys (1)
PG Import (10)/Carter (6)

(If we can squeeze him in Daly is now a 1, would love to give him a shot)

Would have taken Jervis at C but he is 1 point too high if we want two 10 point imports, Frank, albeit a veteran, is a high energy hustle guy on the inside who could really help us imo. I wouldnt mind someone of his mould in this spot. Maybe thats where a guy like J.Wilson could fit in as a 9 point import, even though id much prefer keep Ervin.

Imports, of NBL known guys for the guard spot id be very happy with any of Ervin, Lisch, C.Jackson, R.Clarke, if we need a 9 pointer J.Wilson could be a good option, but not the ideal for me, i also liked what i saw in pre-season of Stephen Dennis from the Tigers, so would be happy to grab him from them too. Probably unlikely to get any of them, id say Ervin or Wilson would be the most affordable options, would prefer Ervin, dont see why we dont keep him, sure he has his flaws, but he was a key part to the turn around and complimented Gibbos skill set well imo. But from what you read it seems unlikely Ervin will be back. So i hope we get someone as good as Ced Jackson to replace him or we could end up down grading.

Ebi Ere would be awesome also, i remember Joey was tweeting him last year, he could fill either the guard (move gibbo to pg) or sf spot. But yea unless Joey can convince him id say its unlikely.

Import forwards from the last couple of years that could suit this team imo are (havnt been a huge amount of top quality sf imports play NBL the last few years, obviously Ennis was very good, and would be happy to have him, but i expect him to not be in the NBL) Shane Edwards, Dorsey, A.Warren, could all be cheapish options if need be and could be nice fits imo, but not ideal, id be looking for a fresh face with a similar game to Ennis. Other alternative is we could sign say Daly (Teys plays sf again with Creek) or Leon Henry instead of Casey Frank and get a pf/c in the import spot like Wilkinson. Id rather see us go for a sf, with a versatile game and decent jumpshot, than a pf/c but could understand either way.

Reply #472178 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Penney would be great but apparently is finishing his degree this coming season.

the dream would be

Jackson/Webster
Penney/Corletto
Abercrombie/TeRangi
Vukona/Conklin or Hudson
Pledger/Loe

with the available points I'd way rather chase a Jason Cadee or Daniel Dillon or even take Rhys Carter over settling for Bartlett/Tait/Kenney in any of the guard positions.

Reply #472179 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

As a New Zealander would rather see Tait/Bartlett/Kenny instead of Cadee/Dillon etc prob cheaper too

Reply #472182 | Report this post

rooboy1982  
Years ago

So the Wildcats can swap Uu for Mou and find a import replacement for Ennis and thats it.....Just as long as everyone resigns they can keep there whole roster together and intact, Scary Scary stuff.

From what I hear Mou is a major upgrade on shooting if nothing else.

Reply #472187 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Teys a 5? Ouch

Reply #472189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Perth points and loyalty issue will raise its head next season and the next few season, especially with marquee players and has the potential to indirectly put a nail in some other less financial teams who will never be able to achieve finals and catch up...…… Beware NBL…..Short term gain, long term loss…….

Reply #472191 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Loyalty discounts saving Perth's bacon this time around. Shouldn't have a hard time putting together another competitive side.

An 8 for Redhage after loyalty discounts makes him pretty reasonable given the stage of his career that he is at.

Reply #472194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, an 8 for a NBL Championship key player who was previously an import and also a Peurto Rico Championship title holder last season...… Fair……… NOT… Damo, Boomer Best Defensive player 8, fair NOT.. Along with the Marquee player the only team that benefits is Perth as they are already in front.

Reply #472199 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I would have thought the Loyalty Discounts would not apply mid-contract.

I am happy for Wollongong that they are well placed to really reap the benefits of their player loyalty, an 8 point reduction can really be an opportunity for them to cash in.

I wonder if they cannot use their points cap due to financial limitations whether the NBL can let them turn the points into a marketable commodity to other teams. Another sort of luxury tax if you like.

Tom Jervis @ 7 is way too high for a second year player with limited offence.

Nate Tomlinson should be higher as the assist leader in the game.

Wortho's play last year does not warrant a 9 now.

I really hope Wollongong can use this to build a team that Gordie can really take to the next level.

Reply #472201 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"As a New Zealander would rather see Tait/Bartlett/Kenny instead of Cadee/Dillon etc prob cheaper too"

I'm also a Kiwi. Only Tait & Kenney are PG's and I can't see NZ winning a title with either of them as the backup PG.

Reply #472213 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would imagine the PGs will be an import and Webster again.

Reply #472215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are the only team that benefits from the marquee player rule as they are the only team that can afford it.

Just makes the league more lopsided imo...

Reply #472221 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ's owners and major sponsors aren't broke sorry anon.
If the right player came along that fitted their team needs and fulfilled their character requirements, they would shell out the cash.

Reply #472226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus, marketable commodity for sale. Would be like playing monopoly and selling your land to the guy who owns mayfair with a hotel on it...... He can afford to buy everyone out after players land on it and wipe them out of cash.....

Reply #472232 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Madgen is high and Hire and Ballanger should be 6.

Yeah, I agree that Madge probably coudl have earned a points drop to 9, but I don't think was ever gonna happen... Agree on Hire and Ballinger being the only other standouts, maybe DC could do with a point off too... I don't think Cody Ellis did enough to warrant a 2pt rise, either...

[Garlepp] would be a nice poach.

Hands off, re-signed already :p

How is t. Jervis and l.davidson ranked the same????

To be honest, after last season, I think I'd take Jervis over Davidson most of the time (at least for what my team needs)

Nate Tomlinson should be higher as the assist leader in the game.

He had a great season, but considering he's gone up from a 3pt player, and most of those assists would have been giving it to Goulding to shoot the lights out with, his league leading stats are a bit padded ;) Nice work for the Tiggers to get another season out of him at 3pts though... I wonder if this is his last contracted season?

Reply #472237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My apologies Mystro....2 teams can benefit from/afford the marquee player rule.

Still presents a lopsided competition.

Reply #472266 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Melbourne's owners aren't short of cash, and Sydney's spent a fair bit last season too. The changes to the points system don't make sense with the marquee player rule coming in though, not well thought out.

Reply #472269 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How so paul?

Reply #472276 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

If the anons are already out and crying about Perth's 6point reduction this year imagine the outrage for the 12 point reduction next season. ;)

Reply #472279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marquee player would be a 10 like any other stand out player/import...not sure how the marquee player affects the points system/cap?

I'm not sure Sydney have deep pockets, Melbourne maybe?

Even so, if you include them as being able to benefit from the marquee rule you will still see a lopsided comp with the same 4 or 5 teams generally making Finals.

Reply #472286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which team is signing Joel Naburgs?

Reply #472287 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

All Perth had to do to get the loyalty points reduction is keep the core of the team together I don't understand why some are bothered by it.

Reply #472288 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Even so, if you include them as being able to benefit from the marquee rule you will still see a lopsided comp with the same 4 or 5 teams generally making Finals."

That assumes spending more money gets you a better import, which is not always the case.

Reply #472290 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Pardon my ignorance but is the loyalty bonus new this year? Perth must have had a heads up on this otherwise why would they have signed Redhage as a 10 point player to his multi-year contract.

Reply #472351 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

There's a number of teams that could capitalise on the marquee rule, including any of Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, and New Zealand, and even outside of that it would not be a particularly hard sell if a team outside of those four had a player lined up to go to a sponsor and get a deal where they pay for the player contract but get priority use of that player for marketing purposes.

Reply #472352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.nblpa.com.au/1/post/2014/04/nbl-player-points-system-release-of-final-playerpoints-rankings.html

via twitter @TheNBLPA

Reply #472374 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I'm not sure, but I don't think the NBL Players Association is a big fan of the points system. <.<

Reply #472375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide would love said sponsor(s) Nathan of Perth - perhaps you can line one up for them?

Reply #472379 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Are the player points in any way tied to their contracts?

Reply #472386 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wilson, it's been around before in a slightly different form. The NBL is made up of the clubs and Perth is one of the power clubs so would've had a strong influence on rule changes like this.

I think the Redhage contract came after his injury and was a feel-good thing?

Contracts used to be loosely tied to points values (e.g., if a player was an 8 but signed for $40k, the league would be looking deeper at that) but not sure if it's still the case.

Reply #472388 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Adelaide doesn't seem to have a problem getting sponsors.

They just seem to have a slight issue with those sponsors then ... you know ... dying. Mid-season.

That's a different sort of issue.

Reply #472389 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

If the loyalty points reduction helps keep players together then i think its a great thing. Both Perth and Wollongong have done well out of it so far. It helps less experienced players with increasing ratings stay at the same club if they prefer to do so with out being squeezed out. And assists the clubs in retaining older players which maybe be on the decline in their careers. The loyalty goes both ways

Reply #472441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan of Perth....not sure where you are getting your info but it must be comfy sitting on those clouds?! The GM has repeatedly said obtaining sponsors is very difficult. May be easier now they are a little more successful than seasons past but still wont be easy.

Reply #472462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac does your brother ever ask you to not post about certain issues?

I guess I'm asking as I assume the NBLPA are trying to push against this system and your are raising points which go against the company line.

Reply #472679 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754