Isaac
Years ago

Taipans confirm Shaun Bruce re-signing

The Skytrans Cairns Taipans today confirmed guard Shaun Bruce will return for his second professional season after signing a one-year deal.

Bruce played 21 games in his rookie campaign, making the most of limited court time behind Cameron Gliddon and import guards Demetri McCamey and Jamar Wilson.

Taipans head coach Aaron Fearne said it was Bruce's professionalism in his rookie season that had earned him another contract with the Taipans.

"Shaun’s number-one strength is his professionalism. He knows our scouting reports inside out, and spends a lot of time understanding and putting them into action on the training court," Fearne said.
Fearne gambling on Gliddon/Maynard/Bruce being enough in the backcourt so he can save import spots for elsewhere?

Full article on the NBL site

Topic #34353 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Risky move by Fearne...

Reply #472263 | Report this post

players  
Years ago

This signing really doesn't make sense unless it's just a minimum contract 10th man. But even then, i'm sure some returning players (not the same position would fill that void!)

Reply #472264 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pretty sure they will get an import guard to pair with Gliddon, with Maynard getting the bulk of the bench minutes and Bruce filling the gaps like last season.

Reply #472267 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I just don't know what to think. Fearne better be loading up for the league's best frontcourt because the recruiting news has been kinda depressing so far.

Someone who can lock down the paint please. Oh also it's rumoured they're looking at Ron Dorsey. Seriously.

Reply #472268 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I think its fine, add a import guard to the other 3 and you have a pretty nice guard rotation, start with Gliddon and the import, use Maynard as the main guard off the bench, if he is like Gibbo he will be able to play both spots, Bruce would essentially be the 10th man id say.

Reply #472278 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Bruce is not a bad player but just lacks the confidence in his offensive game. He needs to make himself a threat when he's on the court, at the moment teams know he won't shoot or drive so they lay off him.

The timing of the signing is interesting, like the Weeks signing in Sydney. They could've waited till the last minute to secure him.

Reply #472339 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Depressing? I'd hardly call Maynard's signing disappointing, while Bruce might not set you're French knickers alight - I'm happy to see him back.

Bit early for import rumors isn't it? esp this far away from the Summer League. At least no one has mentioned Dunigan yet....

Reply #472359 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

and I used the wrong 'your'......... my god........ my grade 7 English teacher was right... i am a failure...

Reply #472360 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

You doubting my credibility without even knowing me, Podge?

Reply #472364 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

haha how do you know I dont know you;)

i'm not doubting your credibility brother, just saying it's a bit early in the piece to be talking about import signings.

Reply #472372 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

It really is and I hope the rumours aren't true, makes sense if they're strapped for cash though.

Reply #472377 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

They work to a budget no doubt, but again I think the rumors are just rumors. Way to early. Who know's what bargains there are to be had at the summer league and what Australian players they're neging with.

Mind you, there are situations where Ron being signed wouldn't be a bad thing - but it would depend on who else had been signed to that point though.

Reply #472381 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

It wouldnt be the worse signing to bring back Dorsey imo especially as a cheaper option, maybe they are planning on one cheap import, 1 stud import.

Dorsey could be as good as McCamey, and possibly cheaper, so if they can get a star import guard to replace/upgrade Wilson it wouldnt be too bad.

Reply #472391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statsheet I agree.. He is very worthy of the contract. Last season I sensed when he was left open by other teams he was worried about shooting it because he was that wide open! Sometimes those shots are the hardest to make because in your head your unsure whether it's good for the team or not. I'm sure he has been working hard on his shot so when he does get out there he can shoot with confidence and knock them down. I felt Nate Tomlinson was the same in his rookie season he wasn't a confident shooter then next season he went away and worked on it then people had to guard him.

Reply #472396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry above was meant for Wilson Sting lol my bad

Reply #472397 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Yep, and I meant to write White instead of Weeks.

Reply #472581 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754