LC
Years ago

2014 NBL Offseason Signings: Rumours & Confirmed

Expecting to see a lot more signings over coming weeks.

This is the thread to post all the rumours, possibilities, and of course the confirmed signings.

Corey Maynard was the first returning player from college to be snapped up by Cairns.

I am hearing rumours that the Melbourne Tigers are interested chasing hometown 7'1" center Jordan Vandenberg after he completed his college career at NC State.

Topic #34382 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Cadee to Sydney a probability, if not certain.

Took a trip to Sydney on the weekend (whilst in the midst of the NZNBL).

Wouldn't think he would be going over there for the weekend in the middle of the season if it wasn't to put pen to paper with Sydney (or at least facilitate serious discussion).

Reply #472849 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Or possibly he was just visiting his family who live there..... Or maybe catching up with mates fir an important bday/engagement etc?

That being said they are the perfect fit, hometown boy to lead the team and get the minutes he craves to take his game to the next level.

Reply #472850 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Vandenberg is sooo raw, but has potential to be a good player in time. Thats if a team is willing to give him the opportunity!

Reply #472853 | Report this post

Deimos 54  
Years ago

Perth need to announce something soon hey!

Reply #472857 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Statman,

Possibly, but he had only being in NZ for a week and I can't imagine any team would let their import go overseas for 4 or so days to attend a party. Might be reading too much into it, but id say it was a business trip.

Breakers still going hard after Fotu (which they should let go). Can certainly see Tai Webster coming to the Breakers this time next year if his SOPH season goes similar to his Freshman year.

Ritchie Edwards may be involved with the Breakers somehow. He went off for 40 on the w.e in NZ. But not surprised. Played at Valpo and Arizona State. With Abercrombie and Te Rangi at SF though, might be hard to get him in.

An Australian team should snap him up. Has unlimited potential.

Reply #472860 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Would love to richie Edwards get a crack in the NBL. Has been dominant for NZ from australian country cup right up to junior worlds.

Reply #472863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cant believe the comments about Vandenberg, the only thing holding him back is his own issues and fitting in with any team he plays for.
He's got the making of a Pro Baller. He would be a great NBL asset.
People need to realize the NBL in Australia is a poor league, with mediocre player who cant get a Euro gig.....simple as that.
Vandenberg is worth 300-500K in Europe just because of his size and mobility.

If the tigers get him it's a steal. I'm not saying he will be great but he will block shots, change shots and be hard to deal with above the rim.

Good luck to him.

Reply #472873 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Getting a gig in Europe is mostly about what type of passport you have, so the above comment seems a little under-researched.

Reply #472883 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Edwards' issue is not his skill level, with only eight teams other factors can scare teams off. Wellington the next season might be his opening if that is the case.

Reply #472884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul - Under researched?? I think your comment around what type off "passport you have" is very stereo typical.
Are you saying that every player in Europe has a Euro passport to make a team.
I don't think so.
Lets wait and see where he ends up. It's not Vandenberg's passport that's the issue it's his personality and issues fitting in with a team.

Reply #472918 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Vandenberg has his issue but as a back up big with good size he could be ok if you get him cheap.

That said it he holds a euro passport some lower league euro teams might be able to offer better money than the NBL min to get him.

The above said just because you have a Euro passport doesn't always mean better standard ball often it just allows you to better money as the NBL min isn't exactly good coin.

Reply #472925 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anon, what I'm saying is I'm pretty sure Brad Newley is the only Aussie currently playing as an import at a high level in Europe. The rest either have Euro passports or are the likes of Daniel Dillon and Ater Majok playing as imports in leagues below the level of the NBL.

Reply #472931 | Report this post

sammy  
Years ago

Anon- Vandenberg is no better than McMillan from the Tigers.

He is still young however. Plenty of room to improve. I can guarantee that even though he is 7foot1, in a small league like the NBL, it would be very tough for him.

(currently) a Role player at best. like i said, he has Plenty of time to develop into something more

Reply #472948 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti on Goulding: "he has a release clause he is likely to exercise" - Source: botinagy.com

Reply #472954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vandenberg has had behavior problems for years now and will never be a team player so will find it hard to fit in on any pro-ball team in Australia. shame because he does have talent

Reply #473004 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Must be overexaggerated to me.

Doubt the behavioural issues at college were as bad as what anyone makes it to be.

If it was, he wouldn't have lasted.

The pros have much more tolerance for bad boys than colleges in the States.

Reply #473006 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm interested to see if Muo gets another season at Wildcats, supposed to be a good defender and I anticipate watching him.

Reply #473039 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Muo already had a multi-year deal.

Reply #473041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crosswhite had a number of high profile issues at college although seemed really well behaved as a pro in the nbl.

Reply #473056 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeha, bit hard to judge people on how they act at college compared to either at home, or in a professional environment... It's easier to fix an attitude problem than it is to teach 7ft tall.

I never knew (still don't really) too much about him, but from the clips I've seen he's certainly worth looking at by most teams. Looks a lot more solid than MacMillan, won't get pushed around, if he can play decent D and smash the boards, I think he'd be a decent pick up for teams that need help there...

Hawks could really use that sort of help since Harris-Tunks never really got a look in (too slight a build?) and you'd think Gordie would work any attitude problems out of him quick smart...

Reply #473077 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think Crosswhite was an example of just how stressful/strenuous being a college athlete can be.

I think he was and always has being a good guy, but just needed something to relieve the stress and pressure whilst at College; hence the drinking and drugs. Not saying drugs are normal, but the drinking at bars after games was probably his attempt at restoring some normality and getting away from the scene.

"Behavioural issues" is such a wide net.

I hear it thrown around to describe many college basketball athletes.

But, people need to understand exactly what the issues are. These athletes are still kids. They are still going to make mistakes. Sometimes media outlets like ESPN etc. equate a college athlete going for a beer or two with heinous murder.

Reply #473081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Muo is a flatout shooter. He can hit threes from deep and is great finisher in the open court. He will be fun to watch.He will shore up the bench really well and with Martin and Wagstaff re-signing being a formality the Cats will be well placed to attack a back to back title.

Jervis is a 7 pointer and will be interesting if the Cats will re-sign him or just let him go.

Reply #473098 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Considering the players that they've got, would it be better for the Wildcats to keep Jervis over Wagstaff maybe?

They can still fit all their players from last season in under the cap and loyalty points, I assume any hold up is due to the loyalty points scheme needing to be finalised?

Reply #473103 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wagstaff would be a big steal for any team if Perth let him go. Bigger part of Perth than people realise and successor to Redhage as he nears retirement.

Reply #473105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagstaff is going to be the future Capitan of the Cats. He has another good 6 to 8 years left in him. The Cats are not letting him go unless he recives an offer to good to refuse.Wagstaff is staying.

Reply #473126 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:05 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754