Anonymous
Years ago

Coach - What would you do

Two weeks out from State Champs. 12.2 game, your team scores. The opposition is handed the ball so it's in play. Player steps 1 foot into the court and out again. No calls.... Time out. Question the ref….

What do you expect the ref to say ?????

Topic #34385 | Report this topic

deimos  
Years ago

They are ten year old kids playing div 2. I expect the ref to tell the coach to stop complaining and remember that it is KIDS' SPORT.

Reply #472871 | Report this post

Slugger  
Years ago

Abuse the ref would be first option.
Don't worry about the kids or parents in your team.
Refuse to leave stadium after 3rd Tech as requested by ref.
Get reported and suspended for 3 weeks-- not allowed to coach, so problem solved.
Sorry- should be more serious. Why not tell us what ref said?
Get your revenge in State Champs

Reply #472889 | Report this post

Whitey  
Years ago

There is no game without the ref. I understand your frustration, but as a coach concentrate on what you can control.

A wasted time out in my eyes, ask the ref after the game.

Reply #472891 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Coach: WTF were you thinking you dumb green shirt?????
Green Shirt: I was thinking you had one too many cattle stations and the other coach didn't have one.

Reply #472894 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

I would expect the ref to say something along the lines of -

'You handle the coaching, I'll handle the officiating'

Reply #472896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My response would be, yes was the wrong call, my apology. I will discuss with the other ref to ensure they understand the rules for future reference.

But that would be doing what is in the best interest of all parties involved. No need for bad attitude. Admit mistake, learn from it and it will improve for next time that ump makes a call so the question raised benefits all. Instead everyone here is suggesting that no one should address the issue. This is why basketball has the poor relationships it has..... As I suspected…..

Disappointed in replies from you guys….

Reply #472902 | Report this post

Filthy Mexican  
Years ago

That is exactly the reason advantage/disadvantage was started (that exact call actually), as there is no advantage gained and the player was able to correct the mistake without disadvantaging the opposition no call should be made, If a player steps onto court and makes the pass... Violation!

If the ref makes that call, he/she doesn't understand the spirit of the game

If the coach argues the call should be made, he/she is a dick.

Reply #472905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whitey have you seen social games of basketball they do not have a ref everybody knows when a foul is made. I play social no ref and iam better protected.

Reply #472909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is district not domestic or social. Parents, players and coaches expect rules to be applied especially when a direct violation. This situation is not when discretion should be applied. The only way kids learn is by mistakes but only if it is identified and consequences applied. Basic teaching principle. Judgement can be made on fouls and so on. Refs want respect, earn it...

Reply #472911 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

I'm not being flippant.

Whatever actions you take as a coach is setting your team culture (especially as a junior coach).

Your action in (I presume) questioning a ref over something which is either a minor human error (or God forbid perhaps the ref didn't see it) - to me sends the victim mentality message.

I never react to step on the line, last touched, 3 second calls that I think perhaps I was on the wrong side of. My boys normally do react and I will always say shut up and play ....step in court and back - really I couldn't care less, my mind is on things I can control - e.g. what D are we running are my guards placed, have my big guys motored back with an eye on the play etc.

The only umpiring decision I may put my hands on my head are when one of my lads does not get a charge call and done for a block....and at least in this situation my player has done something to earn a call. Even then my reaction is to clap my player and let him know I'm happy. At the end of the day I'd say 90% of my players are looking for my blessing on how they execute the game plan.

If I'm beeyatching a in bound violation ....well I'm personally not happy with the look or message that sends.

On Saturday - on a timeout the ref gave the ball to the opposition without even giving us a word of warning. My reaction (after the game) - I praised the player who spotted it, called it and got us on court before they scored. Secondly I just said to the refs - guys normally a whistle and a warning is common courtesy and shock horror ...the refs said ''Sorry coach we did, next time I'll run a bit closer'.

Not sure what you want a ref to say ....when I used to ref any player bitching at a call, I would say 'are you shooting 100%?'

Finally - it's 12's basketball, my experiences is how I coach for 16's & 18's in rep ball ...the refs will be learning too.

Trust me - as a coach control what you can control, be focused on your team and expect your team to be focused on your team - you'll get far, far more W's for the effort.

Reply #472914 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I expect the ref to say "you are not allowed a timeout, ball is at the position ready for disposal".

I then hope he walks away talking to himself something along the lines of "coaches wonder why we don't listen. Clear basics like when you can and can't have a timeout, and they can't even get that one right".

The gifted idea in junior basketball especially not division 1 is progression of the game. Clearly not enough evidence here except the coach not having a clue. Could the player been returning into the court when the ref has given them the ball? Maybe cause it is under 12 after all the team has specific people who pass the ball in and this poor kid was confused.

I hope the young volunteer referee has enough skills to let you hear stories about how the game ends after you walk gracefully to the car park.

Reply #472915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FM all your assumed facts are wrong. Ask more questions before
you judge. This is a hypothetical and you all got so angry but no one wanted to clarify aspects nor consider the rules if the game no matter what the age. Everyone is clearly not on the same page hence all the issues with basketball.

Reply #472919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Answer: get a new coach who knows what to do.

Reply #472921 | Report this post

Years ago

I suggest the ref and coach have a dance off - winner takes all.

Reply #472924 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

'Everyone is clearly not on the same page hence all the issues with basketball.'

so we don't agree with your hypothetical and it's our problem?

think you need to be a little more introspective and see that YOU have the problem..not basketball

Reply #472926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hypothetical based on an actual situation on Sunday.

Come on hoops to either get support for the referee or coach from an altercation during an under 12 game and then try taking the high road?

Reply #472927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You burned a timeout over something like that????

If the ref didnt call it they didnt see it, no amount of arguing is going to turn back time.

My advice? Coach the kids and forget about it.

Reply #472928 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

OK - I'm really attracted to the dance off option but for the essence of fairness hypothetically what did the hypothetical coach say?

P.S. In my hypothetical - the team of said coach is losing.

Reply #472929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's u12 div 2 girls. I'm sure the refs umpiring this would have been learning as well. Would there be any rational reason to go off like a pork chop? Maybe a little life perspective is needed here. Great example for the 10 and 11 year olds playing......not.
And what relevance does 2 weeks out from State Champs have? Kinda giving it away there which club this relates to. Unbelievable.

Reply #472938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what does the fact that it's 2 weeks from state champs have to do with this??

Anyway, doesn't seem like a huge deal. Play on...

To the guy who said it's advantage/disadvantage - what rubbish! It IS a disadvantage to the opposition, as they should technically get the ball back.

Reply #472946 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nice post Maxymoo.

Reply #472956 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

If and NBA coach can let this slide , so can you

Reply #472957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maxymoo, spot on, well said.

Reply #472966 | Report this post

Big Ads of Perth  
Years ago

Great video YOLO - never seen that before, very funny!

Thanks for the peep message Maxymoo, timely reminder to all who coach where our priorities should be during a game.

(5/20 or 9 days)

Reply #472980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@YOLO, that is a classic case of NBA, where amazing happens!

Reply #472981 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ads, he takes three steps as part of the gather, dribbles once, then two more steps. Big travel but looks worse if you can't see the single dribble!

Reply #472987 | Report this post

Years ago

how do you embed you tube here ?

Reply #473035 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:53 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754