Anonymous
Years ago

SA District and State Champs Fixtures out

Available on Sporting Pulse and BSA Website

Topic #34399 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thank Goodness for that! I couldn't go another day.

Reply #473203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parents need to let other sports know asap so they can find replacements Jack so those teams don't miss out on their game or forfeit. Organise transport if they have multipl kids, locations and many other things those without kids may not think of including babysitting for younger siblings if a late game. Parents appreciate information especially those for example working down south and have a Port game at 6.15 on Thurs or Lions going to Morphetvale. Work arrangements may need to be made. May not matter to you but to other it does and it is not being fiffict or precious, just being organise becaus they have to be..

Reply #473212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fiffict = difficult

Reply #473214 | Report this post

beef strogonoff  
Years ago

now we have seen the pools / draw - can a club in reserves put any team in any slot - i.e. some clubs have teams seeded top 2 and bottom 2 - is there any adherence to putting your gun team in the 15th seed spot with a better draw ? i know that stinks but can bsa enforce this ? i would be protesting that the higher seeded team placement was a tank.

Reply #473215 | Report this post

beef strogonoff  
Years ago

what i am on about here is -

the club has 1 team "fuchsia" and another team "midnight silver" nominated for reserves.

fuchsia team is top in their grade and midnight silver is second to bottom - so seedings reflect this as 1 and 11 seeds - team names have been nominated and put in already to BSA.

Pools and draw come out and midnight silvers draw is more favorable for a good result - so can we swap the 1 and 11 seeds around but play under their names ?

Reply #473216 | Report this post

beef strogonoff  
Years ago

team names not player names.....

Reply #473217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seedings really mean nothing as Summer Rd 10 teams can be completely different to State Champs team. And to guarantee a state champs win some switch all their 2nd years to Better Seeded team of 2 in a predominantly 1st year comp for most clubs. Oh and bet your last dollar they will zone ..... That will be all up to which ref and stadium lplayed at. Pools in some look completely out of line with current standings and predictions so you won't see the best top 4 in some groups as they are all in the same pool... Thats tournaments for you. I personally dislike the Seedings based on Summer and feel State Champs should come after Rd 10 of Winter.

Reply #473218 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

anon, don't worry been there, done that!

Reply #473222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THE ONLY DIVISION THAT COUNTS IS DIVISION 1

DIVISION 2 STATE CHAMPS COUNT FOR NOTHING

Reply #473223 | Report this post

Sideline  
Years ago

Results:
Boys -Sturt first, day light second.
Girls - Forestville first, daylight second.

Let all the kids from other clubs have some fun and not worry about the dark side twins - happy to see Sturt and F'ville beat themselves up and show everyone else what pratts the parents are are.

Reply #473227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought mavs was decent in girls?

Reply #473257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry mavs are decent in girls?

Reply #473258 | Report this post

beef strogonoff  
Years ago

mavs will win state u14/16 girls

Reply #473269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood to surprise!!

Reply #473284 | Report this post

Really!!!  
Years ago

Great to see the competition manager give himself a home semi final.

Plus schedule his away game against Centrals at Hillcrest so his team doesn't have to travel as far

Reply #473289 | Report this post

DIVISION 2 STATE CHAMPS COUNT FOR NOTHING

I thought they count for a bunch of points towards the State Champion Club Trophy.

Reply #473292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

284, Norwood? You can't be serious! Their 18's boys might have a chance of getting second. None of their other div 1 teams are likely to even make top 4. Maybe under 16 boys but the highest they'd get is third.

Sturt to win 12 boys and 18 boys.
Centrals to win 14 boys and 16 boys.

Mavs and Forestville to dominate the girls.

Reply #473295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is 14 boys that clear-cut? There have been some closer than expected results so far.

Reply #473297 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

Girls Reserve:
U12 - Forestville (lock)
U14 - Eastern/Sturt/Forestville
U16 - Forestville (lock)

Girls State:
U12 - Forestville/Sturt + Eastern/Norwood/South/Southern not without a chance
U14 - Forestville/Eastern
U16 - Forestville/Eastern + Sturt

Haven't seen enough of the U18s to judge.

It's great to see plenty of competition coming through the U12 competition!

As usual it looks like Forestville's to lose, but there's plenty of competition in each individual grade for Mavs or Sturt to take out State.

Reply #473308 | Report this post

giligan  
Years ago

eatern and forestville then daylight in u14g state and reserves - would not even mention another club unles an absolute boil over.

Reply #473309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

14 boys is pretty clear but. Centrals are the best team by a fair bit. Forestville are clearly the second best.
Then throw a blanket over another 4 or so teams (Eastern, Sturt, Woodville, South).

Reply #473310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that Centrals will win Under 14s but I don't agree that it is that clear cut. Forestville are not far behind but there is a huge gap after that.

Likewise in Under 16s I think Centrals will win but Sturt are also close. Again, quite a gap after that.

Reply #473314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt best player in U16s injured. Can you overtrain?

Reply #473356 | Report this post

Ulliminat EYE  
Years ago

^Off course you can over train/play recovery is crucial to longevity and we are starting to see more juniors strapping and carrying injuries than ever. Nothing wrong with keeping fit but repetition injuries are usually a sign of carrying injury and not allowing full recovery

Reply #473393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe the number of U12 and U14 players wearing ankle supports etc. There is something not right if this is occurring regularly. Are coaches at club or NITP level more worried about immediate success or long term development

Reply #473420 | Report this post

gilligan  
Years ago

way we play the game and treatment recommendations

Reply #473422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

parents are to blame as much as anyone else.

How many of these kids do GTA with Tucker, pay coaches to do Individuals, play school basketball, play other sports ....

Reply #473428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long term development definately. Ankle supports are an important injury prevention for some kind of pre existing conditions.

Reply #473429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is not wearing ankle supports "not right"? What a ridiculous statement.

Reply #473436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am suggesting that there should not be a prevalence of kids at that age needing ankle supports. There is something wrong with either the amount or type of training which is causing this or that parents have been "conned" into thinking they are necessary for injury prevention at that age.

Reply #473446 | Report this post

gilligan  
Years ago

if they need it, they need it. not enough mouth guards IMO

Reply #473449 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

446, what would make you think that injury prevention measures are unnecessary for kids?

I understand the point you're making, but kids are still growing and developing their coordination while basketball has an emphasis of sharp changes of direction and transference of weight.

Potential injuries would obviously be compounded by overtraining and/or poor training methods, but that isn't necessarily the case because parents are taking precautions.

Gilligan - agreed, more mouth guards are needed.

Reply #473456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know that NITP kids are 'advised' to wear ankle guards for injury prevention...

Reply #473459 | Report this post

Wearing ankle braces constantly is not good - I wonder how many jump to the "Cure" rather than prevention - ankle strengthening exercises - change of direction training?

IMO wearing a support should only occur after an ankle roll whilst in the healing phase else your conditioning your ankle to not support itself.

Reply #473460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The theory is that a badly injured ankle is never the same again, so injury prevention is the main objective.

Reply #473463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See extract of a study into effect of ankle braces on knees. I'll take my chances with an ankle injury thanks!!

While most research agrees that wearing braces helps prevent ankle sprains, not many studies have been done on the effects wearing braces can have on an athlete's knees. Recently, a few studies have come out specifically addressing the stress ankle braces can put on an athlete's knee joint. Research by Kandy Venesky at Indiana University showed that wearing ankle braces increased the twisting forces about the knee by 10%, increasing the potential for knee ligament injuries. It is important to note that this study was published in The Journal of Athletic Training, a population that is usually the most adamant about wearing ankle braces. In addition, research from The University of Kansas Medical Center concurred, showing that wearing ankle braces significantly increased torque at the knee joint during trunk rotation movement while standing on one leg (the same motion that happens during a one leg landing).

Reply #473467 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Ankle Brace Placebo, parents control the use of equipment e.g. ankle braces or mouth guards, while clubs/coaches control the implementation of strengthening exercises and plyometrics as part of a normal training regiment.

These two injury prevention methods are largely independent of one another, and certainly not mutually exclusive.

Reply #473468 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

467, thank you. Finally a worthwhile contribution.

Reply #473469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ankle strenthening exercises are completely irrelevant to whether you wear braces/tape or not. As always there are so many "instant experts"...

Reply #473481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

446, you are clearly not very knowledgable, I doubt whether you have much experience in the game. Ankle braces do not prevent chronic injuries from wear and tear they prevent acute injuries. These injuries are caused as a result of landing on a surface that is uneven (IE someone elses foot) or foot pronation (often genetic or from birth) or propioceptive feedback (can be trained but linked to predisposition, and maturity too).

A visit to a podiatrist can quickly diagnose whether you are at risk of an ankle injury. In this case I'd be taking any prevention measures possible. Also, when you play in a contact sport like basketball you are at risk of landing on someones foot and if it's at the wrong angle you have no control over getting injured or not. I've seen very bad ankle injuries effect team mates and player's I've coached for years and years. Often it's a lifelong impact and causes arthritis, collapsed ankles etc etc. They are simply never the same. So if you are after long term development prevention is better than the cure.

All the propioceptive training, strengthening training can and should still occur. Just do this (not wear ankle braces whilst involved in these activities) when there are not other people's feed to land on.

Reply #473482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

American Medical Society for Sports Medicine have studies suggesting there is NO further increase in potential for knee injuries...

Reply #473485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many studies but what would you rather do - a knee or an ankle. Where there are studies by reputable medical research organisation indicating from controlled tests an increase in torsional stress on the knee joints I would prefer to avoid that risk.

Reply #473497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd rather do neither. And will take preventative steps to stop that from happening.
Talk about only looking at evidence that suits your moral crusade...

Reply #473586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess as parents you should do your own research and investigations and not simply rely on comments from coaches who are far from experts on this area. You should make the decision and not be forced onto something you don't agree with.

It is like the ongoing debate as to whether lifting weights in an excessive manner too early stunts growth or leads to strain injuries. So much conflicting research so parents should make the decision rather than be forced into something

Reply #473711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After last night we might see Eastern girls pulling out the overall champion girls award. Winning well in the u14,16,18 girls over Forestville. Sturt maybe lucky to finish 3rd.

Reply #473714 | Report this post

gilligan  
Years ago

yep eastern look the strongest for sure - what will influence will be their 12s and 18s - 14s and 16s should win.

forestville will get 2nd probably win 12s and 18s - 14s and 16s runners up

sturt 3rd - dont know who would challenge them from the rest - 12s,16s,18s ahould all go top 4 - 14s could be anywhere between 4th and 6th

west may do well and be next

Reply #473716 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:10 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754