Marc Jackson to the Knicks?

Reply #473199 | Report this post

Step back  
Years ago

Mark

Reply #473200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the results on the court, you'd have to think there's more going on behind the scenes than we know about. He annoyed the hell out of me as a commentator but seemed to have done very well with the Warriors. Can't blame him for the first round loss with Bogut out, who is so important to them.

Reply #473204 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The behind the scenes stuff isn't so behind the scenes:

The pressure on Jackson began when the Warriors decided to pick up his contract option for the 2014-15 season last summer instead of negotiating a long-term deal as he had wanted. Management also encouraged Jackson to hire a strong tactician after top assistant Michael Malone, who had several disagreements with Jackson, left to become coach of the Sacramento Kings.

Instead, Jackson promoted Pete Myers and other assistants and hired Lindsey Hunter and Brian Scalabrine. While reports of rifts within the team surfaced on occasion, dismissing two assistants in a 12-day stretch before the playoffs perpetuated the idea that Jackson had fostered an environment of dysfunction, which Jackson repeatedly refuted.
Full article

Reply #473211 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

What a dumb arse move.

Hellllllo Knicks, though I have it on good advice that Sydney are circling ready to strike.

Reply #473213 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Wrong move and I disagree with it.

However it's probably been building for a few months now with allegations of tension between Office staff and Jackson.

Jackson will continue to grow and become a good coach in the future.

Reply #473225 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Goes to show that despite the on court success, you need to operate within the context of the overall operation. I read one article that said that he'd alienated himself from the whole of management & had nominal support from the GM Bob Myers... when Myers stopped listening to him, it was all over.

I saw another article that said that hopefully it'll be a learning experience for both sides. I hope GSW see that inexperienced coaches need support (like what Jackson is offering Kerr) & that Jackson sees that he needs to operate the playing/coaching group in-conjunction with the management/ownership group.

Reply #473230 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

I think this is a mistake. But GSW are big boys. Lets see how destructive this turns out with the roster.

Reply #473234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dumb move from Golden State, they would have made conference finals if they played in the east.

Reply #473236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not being fired because he lost in the first round without Bogut. He's being fired because he 'underachieved' in the regular season, only got the 6-seed, and had a tough first-round matchup without home court advantage. Pick up the 4-seed by winning more games, and maybe they cope without Bogut in the first round (and maybe they don't, but that's the case being made).

It sounds like management were in a tough spot, though, as he obviously wasn't prepared to take direction regarding his staff. So ideally, they'd have had him hire a top notch x's and o's assistant, and not have had to fire him. But while he's got tremendous support from his players, it sounds like that's come in large part by him creating a siege mentality.

Short term, terrible move for a Golden State team that has most of what it needs to be successful. Medium to long term, depends on the replacement, but could be a great decision.

Reply #473238 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Owners don't have any patience these days.

I feel sorry for any coach that has to come into the league. I also feel sorry for the players. By all accounts, Jackson was extremely popular. Australian fans should also be disappointed - Jackson saw a lot in Bogut and wanted him to be around for the duration of his career.

Mark Cuban is the benchmark for the NBA though. Love that guy. I think he shows some great qualities that a lot of other owners could learn from.

Just a classic case of unreal/unreasonable expectations. Don’t know how else the Warriors owners/GM’s thought the season would go – they didn’t have a PG, they had a bunch of sub-par defenders in Curry, Lee (undersized), an undersized Green (though he does hustle), they didn’t have a centre for the playoffs and their bench had no depth whatsoever.

Reply #473244 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

also he didn't get on with front office staff and a few players & coaches had issues with his "preacher" mentality and very religous outlook on a number of things....the 2 team buses to a game story is a great example of this!

I think the guy can coach but issues with his own asst coaches isn't a good look!

Reply #473246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was the two team buses story? Didn't see that one.

Reply #473248 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I tweeted the story about religion in teams from twitter.com/hoopsforum so you can check there.

Basically, they had a bus going to practice/game via a visit to Jackson's church and another bus for those who didn't want to partake. Bogut is implied to be the one guy who doesn't go for it.

They article contrasts this with Rivers coaching a group who had a pre-game prayer that excluded a Muslim teammate. Rivers shut it down and made it a non-denominational pre-game reflection that all could silently participate in, and the Muslim teammate was very appreciative. The original prayer leader came to see value in the inclusive approach.

Reply #473250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not only bogut but didn't o'neal miss the first round too?

But as stated this is purely a non court related decision.

Is he rumoured to be in consideration for Knicks role? Surely Jackson (Phil) wants a puppet in Kerr, who I cannot believe is this wanted by other teams such as lakers and warriors??????

Reply #473254 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

As Bill Simmons hilariously once said: Mark Jackson's entire coaching philosophy comes from inspirational Hollywood sports films.

Unfortunately his lack of a grasp of Xs and Os and his rift with management saw him out the door.

The Warriors need to also seriously think about what they are going to do with Bogut. I love the guy when he is healthy as he is a top 2 defensive big in the league, but he just can't stay on the floor.

Reply #473262 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

And this isn't purely an off-court thing. The management of Golden State wanted a seasoned veteran assistant to come in under Mark Jackson after the departure of Michael Malone to the Kings; someone who could help with offensive strategy (Jackson's defensive acumen is not in question). Mark Jackson decided to promote from within and hire more young assistants. The consequences were two-fold:

1). it opened the rift between management because Jackson ignored their please
2). on the court the Warriors were quite terrible on the defensive end, despite featuring some great individual offensive players

Reply #473265 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

their pleas*

Reply #473266 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

*terrible on the offensive end

Geez i'm struggling today...

Reply #473267 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Their offense really was an stagnate and ity.

"Oh hey Andre Iguodala has a mismatch. His opponent is two inches smaller than him, so let's iso him on the block regardless of how accomplished he is and stand around just seeing what happens." Same for Klay Thompson, although he is decent.

They have massive wings so mismatches happen every possession, doesn't mean the whole team should stagnate for the sake of it.

Reply #473271 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Guess I've joined the bad day club, Mick.

'Their offense really was an atrocity' is what I meant to go with.

Reply #473273 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

I read somewhere that they're keen on a coach who'll adopt a motion offense... hopefully that'll kill the stagnation.

With Bogut... I'd hope they reduce his minutes with Ezeli back. Though as Bogut himself points out, his injuries aren't wear & tear related... usually impact injuries

Reply #473274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good news I've never liked the arrogance & stubbornness of Mark Jackson. I remember when he was a commentator with ESPN (he was really bad) and he said he rates Kobe as a better player than Jordan, Greg Anthony also said the same thing around that time.

Wouldn't have had anything to do with Jordan's Bulls knocking their Knicks out of the playoffs every year?

Reply #473278 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

No, Kobe is just better at Basketball than MJ ;)

Reply #473336 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not a favourable story about Mark Jackson - suggests he undermined Stockton, disrupting the Jazz at that time.

Reply #473705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/08/former-warriors-coach-mark-jackson-preaching-on-a-los-angeles-street-corner-video/

Reply #482217 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754