Punter
Years ago

Basketballers turning to Football

Of recent time we have seen a few Basketballers giving Basketball away and taking up football. Dean Brogan having the most success but Matt Illman is going alright playing League for West.
This week two basketballers starred in the Ruck for SA Under 18 Footy side. The two being Luke McEntee and Jordan Dodman.
Do you think a footballer could turn to basketball with the same amount of success?

Topic #3441 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

Reply #39549 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

By the way, Jace Bode & Brad Yeomans also played Division 1 for South up to U16 level (I think, may have only been U14's)

Reply #39552 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

The Crows ruckman Hudson was apprently a basketballer in Victoria and started football very late in his 20s.

I think switching to basketball would be much harder. The guys like Dodman played both sports growing up.

Chris Anstey started basketball late too, although he was still in his mid teens when he started. He grew up playing tennis.

Reply #39553 | Report this post

FMJ  
Years ago

definitely not!!

Reply #39554 | Report this post

Quiet one  
Years ago

Lol, iv seen footy players at social and u can tell them from the rest straight away. They seem to wreck havoc on the court and run around like nutcases. Most are fast and can run the game non stop, but skills wise they suck. This is a general statement though, but regards a majority.

Reply #39562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

actually years ago when footballers didn't play AFL unless they moved to melbourne and played in the VFL we had SANFL players playing social grades thru summer to keep fit

by memory Russell Ebert made a pretty decent basketballer Barry Robran could play and his brother Rodney was more than a decent player.

Reply #39565 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

basketball to football is ok - but footy back to bball would be harder - you only have to watch country men play and the tackles that go on !!!

if you are used to bumping etc - but it depends on the player

basketball is more refined in ball skills and that is usually an asset

Reply #39566 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Wasn't there a guy a few years back playing ABL (or at least reserves) for West (or maybe another club, I think it was West though) who used to play AFL for Geelong? No idea what his name was but by all accounts he was tough as nails. Anyone know who I'm talking about?

I think it could be done, an atheltic 6-5 specimin should be able to transfer between sports taking their qualities from one in to the next. An AFL player's desire to get the ball and general fitness levels and athletecism would be transferred over, I could see them as a hard nose rebounding role player at a decent level.

Reply #39581 | Report this post

Paul Smith  
Years ago

Mike Parsons also an NBL championship player with Launceston moved to the SANFL and had a successful career with North Adelaide

Reply #39590 | Report this post

S Vidmar  
Years ago

Nathan Baggot, Luke Walsh two full time footballers now. crap ones but full time none the less.

Reply #39612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt (footy) on baller Adam Klun plays in the Hills League men competition in the summer to keep fit. He has the skills to match tho.

Reply #39618 | Report this post

auslot  
Years ago

add mark mickan to the list of bbl players and footballers
he used to play both in the same season

Reply #39632 | Report this post

Sponge Bob  
Years ago

Danyle Pearce played bball for south and noarlunga, also made state and now plays for sturt in the sanfl and is on the power rookie list. He is about 19 or 20

Reply #39636 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

What the,
The question of skills is not as clear cut as you might think. Catching a round ball coming to you and between 2 - 3 m/sec is a lot easier then catching an oval shaped ball, possibly greasy depending on the conditions, travelling at between 2 - 10 m/sec. Not trying to be argumentative, simply highlighting the point.

There are some players currently playing ABL who have played footy at Amatuer A2, A1, SANFL and higher who might agree with the above.

Reply #39639 | Report this post

AsIseeIt  
Years ago

Shane Crothers from West manages to combine skills from both games on the basketball court. He was brought over by Port to play footy from Geelong. Keep going Crusher!

Reply #39644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get Erin Phillips opinion, hot footballer and hot basketballer

Reply #39648 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I could see Roo playing for the sixers givinga hip and shoulder to Mark Bradtke, taking the ball with one grab. Take three steps back to the three point line and hit a 3 from the 50m arc!!

I doubt it could be done

Reply #39666 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I could see Roo playing for the sixers givinga hip and shoulder to Mark Bradtke, taking the ball with one grab. Take three steps back to the three point line and hit a 3 from the 50m arc!!

I doubt it could be done

Reply #39667 | Report this post

BakedBeanHead  
Years ago

Kent Kingsley from Geelong used to play basketball. He was a rep for SA Country at under 16's and 18's nationals. He started playing footy after bottom age 20's.

Reply #39671 | Report this post

Scooby Doo  
Years ago

From experience basketball is a lot easier the body and mind than football. I have given footy a crack the last two years and loved every second (apart from sunday morning when you can't move) I have found that SANFL and even A1 clubs are a lot more professional than ABL. Trainers, Doctors, Massage. Even the atmosphere local footy games is more intense.

Reply #39732 | Report this post

Kym Taylor  
Years ago

The atmosphere would be better pal at b-ball Scooby Doo, if you could park your car around the court, beep the air-horn after every goal, throw tinnies onto the court, sit on the bonnet of the car heckling. Ahh the list goes on!! Throw in the bottomless litre mug for game day MVP, and of course the atmosphere is better!!!!

Take the ABL to the burbs - play on asphalt courts with wire nets, pot holes, locals watching etc. I reckon there'd be nothing better than playing a game in some poorly lit area of Mansfield Park, under the watchful eye of the locals. The after game show would never end!!!

Reply #39739 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Scott Pendelbury played in the U18 footy champs for vic country. He was a vic country b'ball player and AIS scholarship holder as well from memory. Is he like jordan- going to perth to play nationals or has he chosen footy?

Reply #39792 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754