Anonymous
Years ago

Can you recruit a team for u14 Nationals?

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=0-4703-0-0-0&sID=72075&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=29526896

Topic #34413 | Report this topic

gilligan  
Years ago

wasn't this discussed just after u14s club last year ?

yes you can - but not many do it that way.

Reply #473505 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

I'd be massively pissed off if my kid was at this club and misses out.

Develop your own.

Reply #473507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I may be wrong but I suspect if they are hosting they have automatic entry. Perhaps they believe their current team is no where near able to compete so they are using this is a recruiting tool. My opinion is it's still very unethical to use a wildcard entry to recruit players from teams and clubs that have worked hard to develop them. Parents moving for this reason need to be very wary of the kind of program they are getting into for 1 week of basketball.

Reply #473518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets just say that this doesnt suprise people in Qld

Reply #473522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their boys will do the same thing, for a tournament in Albury. They just haven't done it yet because the qualification process isn't complete, so if they hold trials now, there'll be some kids who don't attend because they still have a chance to make it with their own club.

BQ shouldn't allow it, neither should BA. The language of that notification is atrocious. 'Transfer here so you can go to Nationals!' I'd have my kid play another sport before I'd have them play for an organisation like that.

Reply #473527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I can't believe BA let them do this. Nationals is a competition between teams that have qualified to be there, not teams recruited for the championship. If what Spartans do is not cheating, it is clearly against the spirit of the competition. They got away with it last year, outrageous they are doing it again!"

Response:

I think you will find this is a normal practice for most clubs that attend the nationals. The northern teams in Queensland have done it for a long time. In Victoria where do you think the Melbourne Tigers pick up players to be such a successful program while they actually have no feeder program.
Guys if you do not like the process that is fine, just do not try out but why try and stop others doing what they want to do.
From Queensland only thirty players will get to attend a National Championship in 2014. For many the only time they will be in the position to be representing Queensland. Let the kids do what they want without the venom being shown towards the Spartans. Yes you may not like what they do but they are successful with membership growing. Each to their own. Maybe they are doing something right and our sport needs to address what others could and or should.
As one door closes another opens. The smart people recognise opportunities and take it. Others elect not to and that is fine. Again each to their own.

Reply #473544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting discussion on queensland forum:
http://forum.brisbanebasketball.com/showthread.php?t=742&page=4

Reply #473546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The teams in Qld should be allowed to because their seasons are at a completely different time than those from other states!

Reply #473551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a disgrace. It should be in the rules that the team must be made up of players that are registered with the association/club at the time they qualified.

SD have been known to do it for years, and despite their defence of the decision ("others do it"), a huge majority do not. Not to mention the message it sends to the poor boys/girls who were in the team that qualified who now will miss out.
For example, Melbourne Tigers (being used in the SD propoganda above) were known to do it a decade or so ago, but haven't since (and the rules have been changed in Vic to ensure it can't). No-one in SA has done it that I know of (certainly not in a long time).

Reply #473580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Queensland should be allowed to because their season is at a completely different time than everyone else's? You do realise WA teams qualify a full year in advance, and it's never been standard practice there?

Justification on the grounds that everybody else does it is a) not true and b) morally dubious anyway.

How good is this for the Queensland South competition? How much have their teams underachieved at 16s and 18s level over the last few years? Basketball Qld should be stepping in because it's causing them harm in the long run.

Reply #473582 | Report this post

FUBR  
Years ago

The winner of the Australian U14 Girls CLUB Championships, will be presented with the Michele Timms Championship Trophy. Michele comes from the Victorian CLUB Bulleen. In fact she is the club patron.

Bulleen regularly qualify for the under 14 girls nationals(They missed out last year)and since 2002 have won the national title 3 times.

There is a high likelihood that this years group of Un14 girls will qualify.

If they qualify Bulleen will only be sending players who are current playing and representing the club in the VJBL!

This is a CLUB championship.
To my knowledge none of the Victorian teams send players other than those who qualify as a part of their club and are currently representing that club in the VJBL.

They certainly do not run tryouts as an attempt to attract/poach players from other clubs. Even Melbourne Tigers don't do this who along with Dandenong have also won the championship 3 times.

Very poor form from Queensland. But it certainly explains how the Spartans won it last year. Just put in a state under 14's team

Reply #473597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have attended nationals last two years and hopefully on track to make it third time. We have never employed this nor will we. We play with the boys that got us their. We have made top 10 both years including wins against power clubs such as Melbourne and Illawarra who finished second and third respectively. So your team can be competitive with the talent you have. I'm proud of the boys and what they've done . Shouldn't be about loading up or stacking a team.

Reply #473628 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:33 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754