kr
Years ago

Crocs going for two import bigs

Dennis said they were still at the negotiating table with Kevin Sugars Medal winner Brian Conklin and were hopeful he would return to the north.

"We're down the track with (Brian) and hopefully we can lock something in," Dennis said.

“We understand we’re going to have to find a (another) big American and someone who can fit into our system.”

But attempts to lure Perth Wildcats’ NBL rookie of the year Tom Jervis were not successful.

“We made a bid to try but we’re not in the marketplace, some other teams have come in and really pushed us aside,” he said.

Norton Djeric
Markovic pc or kenny
Blanchfield Steindl maybe
Conklin Holmes
Import College big?

Steindl would be a good fit imo, should be reasonably cheap and would give extra outside shooting, athleticism and versatility. Plus the chance for more minutes than in Cairns.

Topic #34447 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton/djeric
Markovic/Kenny
Blanchfield/PC
Conklin/Holmes
Import big/big?

If the two bigs are good could be a dangerous team. Need a shotblocker with conklin

Reply #474112 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Diamon Simpson deserves a call.

Reply #474118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could the Crocs afford Simpson. He had a stint in the NBA and I assume he's making a killing in Israel.

Reply #474124 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

If they go with 10 instead of 11 like last season I can't see them running with pc and Kenny. Size and athleticism was definately a weakness last year so I would prefer only one of pc or kenny and Steindl or Creek helping at sf.

Would love to see a mobile 6 10 shot blocking centre alongside Conklin.

Reply #474125 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Whoops just saw post about creek resigning in adelaide. Steindl it is then.

Reply #474126 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

No way the Crocs could afford Simpson. Think PC and Kenny will be fine as the back up 2/3 because Blanchfield should be playing 30 min a game and PC can cover 3

Reply #474128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl would thrive with the crocs - very underrated swingman.

Reply #474129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would Seth Scott warrant a look in?

Reply #474133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl is going to Europe

Reply #474161 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I reckon Will Hudson would be a good fit for the Crocs,

usually i wouldnt go for a import C, but given the lack of Aussie alternatives and the fact they have good talent in the other spots i think this is a good move.

Reply #474164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Source on Steindl going to Europe? He's been sound for the Snakes but I wouldn't think his play has warranted a Euro contract, or at least not one that would be any better than his NBL contract.

Reply #474170 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

It was in the papers a month ago when Steindl turned down the Snakes.It was to check out his options in Europe.

Reply #474174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, missed that entirely. He may end up crawling back to the Snakes door

Reply #474177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nevill?

Reply #474182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree on will hudson - know what he's going to bring and would fit into the scrappy up n go style of play the crocs seem to have - would have to be reasonably cheap too ? a front line of holmes conk hudson and vandy would be pretty good - leon henry would also be worth a look

Reply #474214 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Some thoughts:

- First off, carrying 11 guys again is just plain stupid for a team that is only going to be spending 3/4 or so of the salary cap, so that should be ruled out from the get-go.

- You'd have to seriously look at Will Hudson. Known quantity, in his prime and surely affordable. However I think there is a lot to be said about having a frontcourt that can shoot from deep, especially when you are building a roster on the cheap and are looking to create as many sneaky mismatches as possible (look at Wollongong, or what Atlanta had when they nearly knocked off the Pacers).

Conklin was a flat-out competitor, but I think you'd be better off going with Hudson (similar but bigger) and then getting a 4 who can also shoot the triple, like some sort of poor man's Shawn Redhage.

- Steindl is a must-get. Guys with his athleticism and shooting ability in that height package are rare worldwide, let alone in the NBL. I don't care if he goes missing for stretches and couldn't handle the ball in a B-grade social game. Get him. Low-risk, high-reward. Mackay is a couple of hours down the road. Blanchfield is a Mackay boy. Tell him he can shoot every time he catches the ball. Get him.

- Jacob Holmes is only allowed back with the following incentives built into his contract: shoot a single 3 all season and it's void. Shoot more than 6 times a game even once and it's void. Do anything except rebound, run and win possession and it's void.

- I'd be starting a 2 PG lineup with lots of versatile 3pt shooting wings off the bench. I think that's gonna be the easiest way to be competitive when you don't have much to spend. If you want to win on a budget: get a fast roster with plenty of shooters and run people out the gym. You ain't gonna win a title, but hey, you never were going to win a title. No need to try to beat the title contenders at their own game. They will always have marquee players. Try to base your success on your defensive schemes like Townsville did last year and you will fail.

I'd be going:

Norton
Markovic / Djeric / Kenny*
Blanchfield / Steindl / Wing 3^
Conklin# / Holmes
Hudson

* Kenny only allowed back if he improves his ball-handling drastically and his face stops making me want to punch him on sight. Both are unlikely. Minimum salary only. And actually run some plays for the poor bastard. He's going to shoot it the second he touches the ball so at least make sure he gets an open look curling off a pin down instead of hurling a contested 25 footer with a hand in his face. The skinny prick loves running around screens. Give him some.

^ Will have to be a college returnee as I don't know of any Aussie wings who are available. Probably a pipe dream.

I'd be playing tonnes of small ball with big wing guys at the 4. Lineups like:

Norton
Markovic
Steindl
Blanchfield
Hudson

or

Markovic
Djeric
Steindl
Blanchfield
Conklin

...will stretch the hell out of any opposing defense, even if they give up tonnes of points. Who cares. Who wouldn't want to watch a lineup like that run up and down the floor launching long-bombs and dunking over everyone and getting dunked on by everyone?!

Pat Reidy really f'd PC over last year, which really sucked to hear about, so it pains me to say that he doesn't make my hypothetical fantasy land crazy fan squad. Sorry PC. We'll have that number in the rafters shortly.

On another note: can someone tell me why the hell Steindl is getting Boomers camp invites when Todd Blanchfield isn't?

Reply #474234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering Holmes shot 35% from three last season I don't think they'll be putting that clause in Mick.

Reply #474239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't mean they shouldn't though, I'd tighten it to any shot outside of the key.

Reply #474256 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Yeah mick having two 6'7 6'8 guys in blanchfield and steindl definately gives more options. One of Perths strengths is the versatility of wagstaff and redhage at 4 to rebound and shoot from outside, and neither a low post bangers and are similar size.

If Conklin, Hudson etc and Holmes are going to play the bulk of the minutes at 4 and 5, there is not much need for a backup centre who will spend most of his time on the bench. Better to get another big wing. If you get an injury to Conklin or import centre they will be stretched but also have the option to bring in and import replacement.

Conklin 25m Holmes 20min blanchfield 10m
Import 25m

That sort of timing at 4/5 seems fine to me, with Conklin to spend some time at 5.

Of course would all hinge on steindl.

Reply #474258 | Report this post

nah  
Years ago

How did Pat Reidy screw Crawford?

Reply #474264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pat and shawn dennis screwed pc - asked him to take a paycut so they could sign kenny. told him his career was done and his injuries were too much and he didnt deserve what the community club were paying him.

mick - do you know what hudson has been doing over the past 2yrs?

vanderjagt will sign as a back up centre - cheap, serviceable and is 7ft - plus he would be great at a duel role of player and organising the school camps and holiday camps

already contracted:

markovic, norton, djeric, blanchfield, holmes

add:

vanderjagt, conklin, cheap import 4/5, steindl (hope he doesnt go to europe) if not rhys carter and maybe look at crawford - try to entice him to announce his retirement like hinder did and go out a croc!

markovic
norton
blanchfield
conklin
import

bench
djeric
steindl/carter
vanderjagt
holmes
crawford

Reply #474269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick - that was an awesome summary of what the crocs should be looking to do with their roster.

I love Blanchfield as the stretch 4 with the 2 guards that can both handle. I hated watching Holmes shoot flat bricks from the top of the key with his back foot on the 3 point line.

I think this team could be exciting and tough to beat at home if they commit to that style of play. Even with a cheap roster.

Basically asking "what would Geordie do" before making each signing might be a good place to start.

Reply #474270 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Greg does have that dual role with the crocs: he does quite a bit of admin work behind the scenes which helps a community club immensely.

He's obviously cheap and works hard and is reasonably effective for a league min guy (when he isnt trying to shoot wayward jumpers and plays within himself). Maybe he needs a no outside jumpshots clause too...?

I dont really see how Crawford helps this team. He doesn't provide leadership and his ballhandling is such a liability you cant even play him at the 2 any more. I think youre better off taking a punt on an increased role for Mirko.

Reply #474272 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think that's screwing a player, though it might've knocked down his confidence. If had signed a big contract previously and then wasn't living up to it, it's their right to negotiate a smaller amount (potentially for an extension) and it's PC's right to either accommodate that or risk ignoring it.

I'd say Schenscher could be in a similar position in Adelaide where he's now coming off the bench despite being on a solid, multi-year deal.

Reply #474278 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Crawford is all good just off the bench not as a starter. Mirko Norton and Markovic can cover 1/2 plus PC for 5 min a game. Blanchfield can play about 25 min at 3 and 5 - 10 at the 4.

Reply #474280 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

They also ALLEGEDLY pressured him into coming back too early from injury

Reply #474285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering Vanderjagt shot 44% from three last season I don't think they'll be putting that clause in Mick.

Reply #474287 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

44% is irrelevant when you shoot a couple of times all season.

I was talking about his 18 footers anyway.

Reply #474391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He actually averaged almost one three-pointer per game, but his mid-range shooting at 31% is below what it should be for a guy with his touch.

Reply #474408 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Where do you find stats for midrange shooting for nbl players anon?

Reply #474438 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754