Anonymous
Years ago

Goulding pulls out of Boomers camp in Perth

Bummer.

Was looking forward to seeing him playing.

Currently trying out for NBA clubs

Topic #34449 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

he'll regret that move

Reply #474144 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

A real kick in the nuts for the Boomer program

Reply #474145 | Report this post

twist  
Years ago

why would he regret that? lmfao. hes chasing nba if anything he'll regret not trying

Reply #474147 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Good for Chris, does this mean more court time for Madgen or Gliddon.

I could see Gliddon only improve with his involvement in a Boomers squad.

I hope Bubbles gets his NBA dream

Reply #474148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgen isn't apart of the squad

Reply #474149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding will be on an NBA roster next season and the boomers will be chasing him.

Reply #474153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys like Goulding do themselves a great disservice by going directly to the NBL. College helps tremendously with exposure and NBA chances. Guys like Baynes and Delly could have gone to the NBL at 17 and they'd still be there now. No exposure or respect for juniors going this route from an NBA standpoint.

Reply #474154 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

^ There have been far more Australian players drafted out of the NBL than College

Reply #474162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its no different to DJ and Redhage not being able to be in the squad.

Reply #474163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is a comprehensive list of the route (and draft year) each Aussie NBA player took to reach the NBA.

NCAA/Non-NBL: Bogut (2005), Mills (2009), Delly (2013), Longley (1991), Schenscher (2005), Exum (2014)

NBL: Gaze (1994), Anderson (2002), Anstey (1997), Bradtke (1996), Heal (1996), Jawaii (2008)

Apparently, Yolo is as stupid as his username. Notice a modern trend? You would really advise a junior player to make 20k playing in the NBL instead of getting a 100,000 dollar + education in the states with superior facilities, fans, exposure and under the nose of NBA coaches and ESPN cameras. Some people need to wake up to 2014.

Reply #474169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Exum really can't be counted then, can he? And if you go on those numbers, the NBL wins...

There's no clear winner here, no definitive answer. The college route helps some, hinders others.

Reply #474171 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

^ players that you missed.

Bruton
Pepper
Rogers

Also

Brunson
Overton
Jackson

This doesnt count Ingles or Dwight who both have turned down NBA contracts.

And actually Longley played for the Wildcats before the NBA too

So as I correctly stated more players have been drafted or played NBA post NBL than any other route.

Reply #474172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum can certainly be counted. He was headed for college until it became clear he was a sure fire top pick - surely your not suggesting he won't be drafted? So he is another recent example of an Aussie to get to the NBA having bypassed the NBL. Which makes the numbers exactly equal at 6.

If you look at the last decade, 5 non NBL guys have made the NBA compared to 1 NBL guy. In the modern day the college route is the only way to go. The winner could not be clearer.

Reply #474173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When did Bruton, Pepper, Rogers, Brunson, Overton or Jackson ever play in the NBA? Longley's performance at New Mexico got him to the NBA let's not kid ourselves. Nobody buys Ingles or Dwight turning down an NBA offer - quite different from being offered a guarantee spot vs an invite to training camp or summer league. At best, taking in the last 30+ years you have established a very slight majority for NBL guys while completely ignoring the modern trend / landscape of basketball.

Reply #474176 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Neither of you have factored in the importance of Boomers/junior nat team appearances. Mills, Delly and perhaps Baynes had their stocks rise because of Boomers appearances, and Brett Browns involvement. And of course, you could argue that Baynes and Anderson were scouted out of Europe.

You cannot just tick a box and say College is the best pathway and that guys do themselves a disservice not going there. Remember a lot of the talk was the risk for Exum of going to College and his draft rating dropping as a result. It works for some, not for others. It appears to have been good for Bairstow.

Gaze of course went to College...

Reply #474178 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Goulding wont regret it. It is not going to close the door on his world cup bid if anything it will strengthen it.

Worst comes to worst he gets some NBA training.

Reply #474179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Exum really can't be counted then, can he? And if you go on those numbers, the NBL wins...

There's no clear winner here, no definitive answer. The college route helps some, hinders others.

Reply #474180 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

Duly noted that you dont know what you are talking about nor know how to read.

Reply #474183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce might have been drafted if he nominated after his first year at college. had some pretty good numbers/games

Reply #474184 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I been emailing David Pick a lot lately, and he has been saying the interest in Chris is extremely strong, however he would not tell me what teams. Ridiculously good sign!!

Reply #474186 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Also agree @GWD How much did that summer league do to Chris' confidence, had a phenomenal season.

Reply #474187 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not really a "kick in the nuts" for the Boomers program at all.

It's a win/win for the Boomers and Chris. If he goes he gets to test himself and learn/hone against much better talent than what he will find in a fourth-rate Sino-Australia challenge Boomers camp squad and pointless exhibition series.

Which means he will be better off as a prospect for the Boomers come time for a serious tournament.

If he does well he makes the NBA which will accelerate his development tenfold.

If he doesn't make an NBA team all that happens is he misses a pointless exhibition series playing alongside none of the guys who would be in a full-strength WC or Olympics team, while learning invaluable lessons going up against top flight NBA calibre talent.

No one loses.

Reply #474191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL - Bradtke, Heal, Gaze, Anstey, Jawai
College - Longley, Bogut, Schenscher, Mills, Dellavedova
Europe - Andersen, Baynes
Juniors - Exum

I suspect it has more to do with talent and circumstances than which route you choose.

Reply #474194 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The different avenues are not mutually exclusive: I dare say Baynes, Mill and Dellevadova's impressive showings as Boomers all played a big part in paving their road to the NBA, to name 3 recent examples...

Reply #474195 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Anon Brunson ended up playing around 10 years in the nba after the 36ers for about 7 dif teams aswell lol

Reply #474196 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Technically Bradtke, Gaze, Dellavedova and Baynes weren't DRAFTED to the NBA.

Joe Ingles and Brad Newley were both DRAFTED by NBA teams but haven't played there/been contracted.

Reply #474198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles was never drafted

Reply #474205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very few Aussies get drafted and even fewer have meaningful careers in the NBA, to claim one avenue is more effective to get there goes against the numbers.

Silly argument in my view. Hopefully Goulding adds to our growing number of NBA players and plays for Australia in the World Cup.

Reply #474207 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

as was already stated , Gaze went to NCAA, of course that was post Olympics , always interesting the number of "anon" posts who don't read others posts.

Just mote - a couple of the 'non-NCAA" boomers/euro/NBL people never got the academic scores to be eligible for NCAA.

Reply #474231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze went to the NBA from the NBL, many years after he finished his one year in college.

Reply #474238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#205 whoops my mistake.

Still it seems playing professionally has a decent strike rate if you want to just make the NBA. College and being drafted/signed straight out of college seems to be the only way to get any significant minutes (Bogut, Mills, Dellavedova)

Reply #474261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawaii actually played a year of Junior College - Midland Texas...

Reply #474262 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Crazy to think that last NBL season Goulding only made it into the NBL All-Star game due to other players pulling out and people on here were bashing him saying he should have never been picked and it was cheapening the event. A lot can change in 18 months I guess..

Reply #474277 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

VC fan, before he signed in Melbourne post-Blaze, there was a mention that Adelaide might be considering him as a cheap guard off the bench and I hated the idea. Thought he was a volume shooter and little more.

Seems to be a very effective volume shooter now!

Reply #474279 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It is seriously amazing how much he improved.

He must have worked extremely hard.

He used to be just a shooter and ok at every thing else.

But now, his handle is unbelievable, he is much quicker and agile.

Reply #474298 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I was with Isaac re Goulding before he signed with the Tigers, also didnt want him off the bench in the spot that went to CJ/SC, wow what an improvement Goulding would of been.

I am a little shocked how much he has improved, i remember the snickers when he was added to the all star game a couple of years ago and then won the MVP and has gone from strength to strength since then,

He still has his flaws but he has improved hugely which is a credit to him and id say some extremely hard work on his part.

Reply #474301 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think Goulding has a chance of a spot in the NBA and I would say he is going to be more important then people realise at the World Cup.

Reply #474303 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Goulding has never actually shot the ball at what I would call a decent clip until this year. His percentages from the field and from deep have all been below average until this past season.

Reply #474392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He shot the three at 40% in 2011 at Gold Coast but the two seasons before this he was only 32 or 33. Best thing about his percentage this season was how many tough shots he had to take and make.

Reply #474407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect that this whould give Madgen another chance, in his place.

Reply #474415 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Forgot to use Name in post above, sorry.
Pretty sure that Madgen wedding would have made him unavailable, but not so, it was last weekend.
Heard he would be back in time for the camp.
Surely he will accept the offer?

Reply #474421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still think he doesn't have enough depth in his game for NBA yet, hot shooting is not enough. He still needs a better attitude. The risk is going now when he has 't sorted out other issues is if he fails he has probably closed that door. One more year and I suggest at another club under different coaching to deal with thw artitude and expanding his skill set and diversity. The attitude which seems to be common at Tigers is a real concern, then he may be better served long term growing a little more elsewhere and with boomers. Just my opinion and many will disagree but for some short term gains are long term pains... Good luck if it goes well but I'm sitting on the fence.

Reply #474423 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

over hyped & not strong enough to play 82 games a season

Reply #474981 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:57 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754