Isaac
Years ago

Tom Jervis in talks with Melbourne Tigers

Free agent Tom Jervis left Perth yesterday to discuss a potential future with the Melbourne Tigers as the Wildcats secured a major piece of their roster for next season by re-signing captain Damian Martin on a multi-year contract.
Jervis was a mature-aged recruit for the Wildcats last year and starred in his first season, being named NBL rookie of the year.

He has attracted plenty of attention from rival clubs and could be tempted by lucrative offers as the Wildcats attempt to fit their talent-laden squad under the player points and salary caps.
Full article

Topic #34467 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

He would be a huge signing for Melbourne but they would have to offer him significantly more to get him to move over to the east coast.

Reply #474452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every one was saying that money is not an issue for him? Them people say that the points system is fair? Rated a 3 to a 7, think leaving perth is not ideal but if u wana job u got to go somwhere else.

Reply #474453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting Tigers are looking to buy a player they could have got for min salary and low points last year instead of trying to find their own version of Tom Jervis.

Great for Tom though if he can go from 26 year old rookie on his last chance at a pro gig to well paid player with mulitple year security.

Reply #474454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Necessary move by the Tigers who will likely have to fill Gouldings spot with an import...

Reply #474458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Points not an issue for Perth, loyalty discounts allow to re-sign Jervis if they wanted but other clubs have more dollars free under the salary cap.

Reply #474463 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He must be asking for decent dollars if the Crocs are going to be looking for an import instead after being priced out of the Jervis market (even if it's not hard to price out the Crocs)...

Reply #474465 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Granted he has great potential and 7 footers don't grow on trees.

But it just doesn't seem right that teams are chasing hard after a guy who averaged 5 & 4

Reply #474472 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

Need to look at his form when Knight was out
When Knight was in his minutes were reduced
vs Tigers he Averaged 11.5 and 5

Reply #474474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He might get better or might get worse? 2nd yr always the hardest, hope he gets a gig, i thought he was a must to resign, perth might put knight at the pf and get and import big?

Reply #474475 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Yea Mick, i was hoping the Crocs would target/get Jervis aswell, they did the smart thing by atleast targetting him and id say Melbourne just came in with a better offer $$ wise, as id say he would start either way.

Supply and demand im afraid, its a shame as the Crocs could have really used him imo.

This is why i want the NBL to let teams have 3 imports, to me its about entertainment, and currently with not many starting bigs around teams are having to either go small ala the Crocs last year, or have a big import and be a swingman short ie the Tigers last year, 3 imports would allow both teams to be really well rounded and make the games more entertaining imo. Even if the imports are only cheapish ones, ala the Crocs have Hudson or Morrison, the Tigers get Dorsey or someone similar, not breaking the bank but gives all teams better rounded line ups, it would have also avoided the kings no pg saga, as they could have had Sanders all season.

Reply #474476 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

You'd have to think he would be offered $120k for 3 years to move to the Tigers maybe a little more.

Reply #474478 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

7ft's who rebound and and play D plus are Aussies are always going to get paid....there aren't many around so good on him for cashing in while he can.

Reply #474480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

120k a year? Are you for serious! That's ridiculous money offer 90k at the most! After all he was playing on the best team with exceptional players in beal, ennis and Martin.

Reply #474481 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

$90k to $120k is the mark for a 7ft who can fill a need.

Who would you rather Jervis or big Red?? Jervis everyday of the week and i think you'll find big Red was on more than $120k

Reply #474484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't I say it yesterday? Jervis wants minutes and the Tigers view him as a integral part of their plans.

Reply #474485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because Schenscher is massively overpaid (supposedly $140k a year) doesn't mean a back up centre with limited ability like Jervis is worth $120k per.

He would've been on $35-$40k this season and I wouldn't go higher than $80k a year.

Reply #474492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The you wouldn't get him. Big men don't come cheap.

Reply #474493 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

All depends on what other clubs are offering which drives his price up. You also have to take into account cost of living, moving costs and length of contract. Have Perth made him an offer?

Reply #474494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 493,

That's fine you can find 5ppg & 4rpg somewhere else i.e. Pero, Truslove etc.

Reply #474495 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

How many local 7fts are in the league that can actually play a bit?

Perth - Jervis
Adel - Big Red
Melb - None
Sydney - AJ
Townsville - None
Cairns - None
NZ - Pledger

As it is a small ball league if you have a geuine 7ft whom can fill up space and help protect the rim plus rebound whilst not being a complee lioability at he offensive end he is worth his weight in gold as they are hard to come by & alot cheap than import 7fts of the same skill level.

Reply #474496 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Every one was saying that money is not an issue for him? Them people say that the points system is fair? Rated a 3 to a 7, think leaving perth is not ideal but if u wana job u got to go somwhere else.
Perth would've kept him at a price and as a backup. Melbourne might be able to give him starting money and minutes and that'd suit him more. If he can do much of what Morrison did, they free up an import spot so it suits Melbourne too.

Shows that the points increase isn't preventing him from having options. He was still wanted by at least the Crocs and Tigers.

Reply #474498 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Exactly, when a bidding war happens between 2 or 3 clubs it always drives the price up the club who gets them can end up being stuck overpaying if they are not careful.

A tale of caution guys like Vanderjagt, Pero Vasiljevic (even Ben Allen) also had small stints when they averaged around 10pts 5 rebounds, and you wouldnt have wanted to lock in any of them to a longish term contract at over $90k, not saying Jervis is the same, and im a fan, i wanted the 36ers to grab him to replace DJ (if he goes), but wouldnt pay more than 90-100k for him, but you got to be careful with these big guys, remember he was with a strong team, but he did seem to produce efficiently when given minutes, if nothing else he is a big presence inside at both ends and has a hard nose for the ball, which is more than say Ben Allen.

So all the best to Jervis i hope the Tigers pay him plenty and he has a great rest of his career.

Reply #474499 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

And yea if im the 36ers and he did cost more than that (90-100k), id probably move onto the next option, as we have other spots we also need to fill still, so cant go spending up big on a Jervis, especially when we already likely have Schenscher and maybe DJ at C.

Reply #474500 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Burston is another one who has been very unpredictable as a big man and i think across his career has received more $$$ than hes worth. I suppose your only as good as your last season.

Reply #474505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honestly I thought the kings would throw the kitchen sink at him since aj will most likely be off to Europe again and Allen is just Allen.. Tommy garlepp isn't a centre

Reply #474508 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Jervis was great playing a role in a good team but was a little inconsistent and played some poor games too. Can he improve much more at his age? Not sure hes a starting caliber center and weaknesses could be found out in his second year. Best suited with his role at perth. But from his point of view why wouldn't he take the dollars if its significantly more

Reply #474518 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I would have expected to hear Wollongong going after Jervis big time.

It seemed like big Lozza is happy to come off the bench if he gets minutes and Gruber isn't a centre so you have a hard nosed 7 footer starting for them...

I can't imagine it being ALL about money and points as I think without Jervis' output the Wildcats wouldn't have won atleast 3 games last season so any club that attains his services will love him and although he always looks angry on court he was very personable and friendly with the fans

Reply #474528 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

As a crocs fan I would have no problem with them spending 100k on jervis. Its a gamble but I think it pays off.

Reply #474530 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

Wildcats would be silly not to resign him

Reply #474531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think 100K is about right for a solid 6'11 guy. There was only Johnson, Schenscher, Wilkinson, Pledger, Knight, Jervis, Morrison, Ogilvy, Davidson, Gruber, Tragardh and Burston in the league last season who could legit play as starting centres, with a few guys like Loe, Nevill, Brandt, Duinker, Kickert who could come back from overseas, so you have to pay a reasonable price to get one of them.

Reply #474541 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Burston seems to be overlooked a lot in this thread, he had a great season last year, average about 6 and 6 and was very consistent. I hope Cairns re-signs him but if not he deserves a gig with another team.

Reply #474549 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Burston has that injury cloud though. Even if he played a full season last year I don't spend big on him because he's prone.

Reply #474558 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

It would be a smart move by Melbourne if they can grab Jervis. It gives them flexibility with import signings.
Not a huge scoring threat but could be amongst league leaders in rebounds and blocks next season.

Reply #474595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick...Knight is injury prone, do you spend big on him?

Reply #474604 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Jervis is a much better player than his stats indicate and a massive upgrade on Burston.

The only thing I would question if I was him would be going to Melb would be their totally ignorant game play in regards to post play.

I'd rather keep him but if he is to walk better Melb than the Hawks.

Reply #474606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He isn't a massive upgrade on Burston.

Reply #474616 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

He is an upgrade on age and injury risk alone.

There is not a team in the league that wouldn't grab TJ over Matt.

Reply #474617 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

In his prime I would take Burston over Jervis but unfortunately for Burston he was injury prone. I would prefer Jervis now though.

Reply #474623 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I was never suggesting that Burston is better than Jervis (now), just that he should be included in the '7 foot guys who can play a bit' discussion.

Reply #474627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take Burston over Jervis. Even now he still puts up better numbers than him (7 & 6).

Burston also probably has the best hands for a centre in the league.

Reply #474628 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I'd easily take Jervis over Burston right now.

Jervis has shown himself to be an above average basket protector and also he doesn't have the glue hands of Burston, was one of the better rebounders in the league,

He would have been the bargain of the league last year, and now, understandably, looking for pay day.

Reply #474663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus...Teys was a pretty good bargain as well.

Reply #474702 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Agreed 100%...a master stroke by Joey to spot talent and reward it with playing time.

Reply #474717 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

I can guarantee Tommy Jervis will not be playing for the Tigers next season.

Bookmark it Ladies.

Reply #474962 | Report this post

Deimos 54  
Years ago

Yes butbwhat about United!!

Reply #475005 | Report this post

Deimos 54  
Years ago

Rumours are that he has been signed is this true?

Reply #475734 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Deimos that I sadly cannot promise.

Reply #475750 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754