new name please
Years ago

Damian Cotter to be named Kings head coach

http://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sports/basketball/assistant-coach-damian-cotter-to-be-promoted-to-role-of-head-coach-of-sydney-kings-on-monday/story-e6frf3f3-1226922021803

Topic #34486 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Good on him, nice to see a new face in the league.

Reply #474765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotter will be a great head coach. A purist basketball mind.

Reply #474771 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Who will be his assistants?

Reply #474772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Possibly his 19s assistants

Reply #474773 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Apologies to "watcher" who had a similar post earlier this morning but without a supporting link. I checked a few news sources but couldn't find verification at that point.

Reply #474778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Care factor extremely low on this one. Such a long, secretive wait for this! Never heard of him. Don't really care to get to know him either.
He has 5 games to make me believe that he was hired for reasons other than being available, convenient and cost effective.
Stop being so tight as a club and make a play for Goorjian next season!

Reply #474779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

please anon go away pretend you are big and important somewhere else

Reply #474780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You not knowing who Cotter is clearly shows you know little about Basketball in Australia. Highly regarding coach and great at teaching the game and player management.

Reply #474781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hadn't heard of Goorjian or Beveridge until they had head coaching jobs.

Reply #474784 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Deal was done on Friday so thats why the Monday press conference.

Reply #474786 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

What a great "supporter" #779 is!.
I don't know a lot about Cotter but I believe in giving an unproven guy a chance. Also let's see how their roster shapes up first.

Reply #474788 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Really good bloke.

Reply #474789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm all for people getting a start somewhere but now is not the time. The Kings have already rolled the dice twice. An experienced, PROFESSIONAL coach is what is required right now.
Proof is in the pudding, Adelaide and Perth both went and got experienced, professional coaches last season. They got it right.
The Kings opt for coaches with no NBL experience or a former legend of the game who was unproven as a coach. Both were cheap options.
It would give me much more confidence in the direction that the club wants to head if they went out and at least got Bevo or Mccloud.
It's a convenient, cheap hiring in my opinion.

Reply #474807 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hope he does well. Sounds like he's worth a shot to me. Hope he's more Bevo than Clarke.

Reply #474809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just hope for the Kings sake he doesn't become another Marty Clark.

Reply #474812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

most likely if they dont spend the money

Reply #474815 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

You say PROFESSIONAL, does Cotter hold down another job? He obviously won't now.

Reply #474816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes been a full time coach for the last 15 plus years

Reply #474831 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti on Twitter replying to Wookiee - Boti's comment in bold:

any info on Kings announcement, whether they actually had decent options or promoted from within?" Had options, Cotter won job

Also: "Bevo was never an option"

Bit more from 7News in Sydney:
Hi @SydneyKings fans, hear new coach Damian Cotter's interesting recruiting plan in 7 Arvo News with @Jim_Wilson7 in about 10 mins @NBL

Reply #474845 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bevo was an option, they just couldn't get him. He has some pretty attractive options open to him OS.

Congrats to Damian, a good bloke who certainly knows basketball. Is it a good appointment? We'll find out!

Reply #475018 | Report this post

mick  
Years ago

Firstly, A Great man, secondly A great coach.

Reply #475097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are Kings fans complaining. Nice to see a coach rather than ex-player who has no idea get a NBL head coaching gig.

Reply #475113 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Bevo was an option, they just couldn't get him. He has some pretty attractive options open to him OS.

Well, in as so much that he was available, unlike BG... He just wasn't a REALISTIC option in the fact that they would have liked him to apply, but he didn't...

Why are Kings fans complaining. Nice to see a coach rather than ex-player who has no idea get a NBL head coaching gig.

There is not really that much complaining going on, certainly not the uproar that occured when Moose or even Hammer were brought in... I think most people see him as a qualified coach, but were hoping for a bigger name that was actually experienced head coaching in the NBL already and someone more high profile that players would recognise and want to come and play for. In those aspects, Cotter is untested...

Also being Shane's assistant probably puts a bit of a mark on him, and often the "promoting from within" route is seen as the cheaper/more desperate option...

Reply #475149 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

With coaches of that level they don't generally apply, they're approached and then consider what's offered to them.

Reply #475156 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I agree entirely. Often flown in to talk to the board without any paper passing through hands first. Def happened with Heal and Wright we were told.

Reply #475158 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Hes done the hard yards over the years and deserves his opportunity.

Reply #475164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo was never an option.

Reply #475180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754