Anonymous
Years ago

BNSW Metro League Banter

Hills/City looking comfortable in 12M1
The unbeatable Norths in 14M1 have dropped one but still favourites.
Bankstown leading a pack in 16M1
And Norths doing the same comfortably in 18M1

Underachievers/Overacheievers?

Topic #34492 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Underachievers - Hills 18M1
Overachievers - Norths 18M1

Reply #475072 | Report this post

mick  
Years ago

In the girls,
12W Hornsby and Sydney clearly the top 2. Will be interesting to see who gets on top at the end of the season
14W1 Norths sitting comfortably.
16W1 Norths clear winners
18W1 You'd have to favour Norths but Sydney came very close to giving them a scare in round 1. Lets see what round 2 brings.

Reply #475074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive seen Norths 18M play twice now i dont consider them overachievers, long-athletic bunch, coach who controls the group well and lets be honest. there is minimal depth of talent in the rest of the league, you saw the 18 metro boys result... hard to imagine why no norths kids where selected?

I think it will come down to Penrith and Bankstown in the 16 Men

Not sure what to say about the 14s comp seems pretty balanced at the top end. Although it does seem Norths may be the standout?

Reply #475099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good question... but I can't think of any names from Norths that could've done a better job than who was already in that 18 boys Metro team

Reply #475167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penrith should win the 16 men. 3 state players plus they have the best pg in metro and he withdrew from the state team. Plus they also have the state coach in Curtis.

18m Penrith could cause an upset and win. Have some inside presence and good perimeter players plus an experienced coach

Reply #475173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can think of 3 Norths kids who should have walked into that state team!! I know if I was coaching I'd do my homework a little better...

Reply #475186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

let me guess... Rymer, Carfino, Stenmark? yawn. not state team material.

Reply #475193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How bout the 6'9 kid who's probably the best player in the league.. Kid you wouldn't know. Carfino > green, boateng, etc

Reply #475195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL! Carfino has no idea how to play structured basketball, thats why he wasn't picked. Doesn't come close to Boateng or Green in either skill or potential.

Reply #475198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow!! Very very interesting comment. Good coaches make it work with the most talented kids by putting them in situations where the can succeed, I think carfino has been let down by coaches before this season. You might be eating your words very soon

Reply #475199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Explain how he's been 'let down' and how I will be 'eating my words'? Stop victimising him. Are you suggesting Darky is a bad coach?

Reply #475200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The big kid from Norths was a reserve for the state team, and rightly so.. At Nationals, the bigs for NSW Metro actually did really well. It was the guards that were a massive let down. Even saying that, no-one from Norths really deserved to be on that state team.

And just for further reference.. Yes, Darky is a not a great coach

Reply #475201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the young man may prove you wrong that's all, don't think he was given an opportunity and believe he could have been used at nationals. I think results have shown that Darky is a great coach...

Reply #475203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

18m1 Norths are winning because they have the best coach in the comp.

Reply #475233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Robbie McKinlay still coaching them?

Reply #475270 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

Piss and moan about who's better then who, but when it comes down to it Carfino is part of an 9-0 team, and is extremely productive within that team.

@Anon please, doesn't know how to play in structure, do you think Norths offence is unstructured? Maybe these supposedly 'good' state coaches don't have the capacity as teachers to teach the structure they are trying to implement to certain athletes. So perhaps its just easier to select someone who gets it because its presumably time efficient.

And if the assertion is that you'd take Boateng, Green etc over Carfino because they are more 'skilled' and carry higher 'potential' then him, its about time they step up and play to their supposed high level of 'skill' and 'potential'.
Unless they are playing poor teams, they are average to watch and are not reflective of a high level of skill and potential.
So its either they suck, the coach sucks, or they just don't give a fuck.

Oh, and would someone like to please provide me and us all with some information that is indicative of Adrian Darks 'good' coaching ability?

Reply #475288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well said big bird couldnt have put it better myself

Reply #475292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I probably wouldn't take Carfino over Boateng, Green et al.. But I certainly would've had Hayward over them.

Carfino just doesn't stop coming at you when he plays. He bumps, he pushes he throws his body around and gets after the glass. He does the little things that pisses the other team off so well, and he plays his role within that system.

Hills are the only team that has got close to them all year and even then they never looked like beating them.

Reply #475295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wait until they come up against Illawarra and Newcastle then, even Gosford. Mighty Norths won't stand a chance.

Reply #475299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adrian Dark won a National Silver medal last year... Not a bad indicator of ability.

Reply #475303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darky's team finished 7th. Does that make him a bad coach? That same team finished 8th 2 years ago and they had Gruggen...does that make him a bad coach? Some players unfortunately are still given lollies for things they did in U14's. Carfino should have made that state team.

Reply #475312 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

Kudos to the man, he got silver, with two kids that are going to the Division 1 college level in Jonah Bolden and Kai Healy. He also came 7th, with two AIS athletes in Isaac Humphries and Deng Gak.
I'm not questioning his ability to coach, but it it definitely raises some questions. I.e. Is he really the best suited coaching candidate for an U18 NSW State team, I don't think he is.

Reply #475323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Bird youre a scolar

Reply #475326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what do you mean 'players are still given lollies for things they did in U14s'?

Reply #475390 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Hmm

"Big Bird youre a scolar"

is that the same as a scholar ?

Reply #475412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gak may be an AIS athlete but hardly an AIS standard athlete

Reply #475414 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754