Easter teams and state champs results

anyone able to feedback how teams that got the competitive exposure over Easter performed vrs those that did not ?

I reckon we will have to be in it next Easter - did a lot of Forestville teams play Easter ?

Topic #34495 | Report this topic

Well Read  
Years ago

I'm told Forestville teams were strongly encouraged to participate by their coaching director, and ~10 (from memory of a previous post) ended up nominating which isn't too bad.

Based on games that I watched on the weekend and online state champs results, Norwood fared slightly better overall than I had expected they would.

Zero Sturt nominations (again, from memory of a previous post) for Easter... not that Sturt did badly at State Champs - but certainly less dominant than we've come to expect.

Interesting thought, OP.

Reply #475137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I gave my boys Easter off basketball completely to relax enjoy their families and just to have a break. They won state over the weekend.

Reply #475138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt in 8'GF for state champs so still highest teams and had a win, and many in top 5 play offs which collected many points for th club.

Easter had 2 Sturt teams who chose to play and the rest had time off with families so statement there was none is not true. Families already been to melb in Jan and had wins over there and some combine a holiday or fo to multiple comps so fair call for families to have time out. Many now off to classics and mildura so Easter not an issue. Won 5/6 trophies ar states last year without easter and previous as well so that is a none issue.

Overall club champs means it is looking after the club on a whole across the board, just didn't quite collect the points for wins.. I would say still a great champs showing.. Perspective. Yes norwood getting up in top 4's is good to see as it makes the comp overall stronger. So I doubt Sturt will be too concerned especially as many D1 have 1st years this season so will be stronger next year.

Its everyone else who is having an issue..

Reply #475143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love that they didn't win as much they normally do but when analysing their results overall it was a good year for sturt.

They had a lot of teams finnish high across the board. They didn't win reserves in anything, drew in state boys, didn't win state girls yet still managed to win champion club. Some clubs seem to be having success in distinct parts of their club. Forestville is very strong in the girls program (girls seem attracted to their style, whereas boys do not) whilst weak in their boys, Norwood is getting stronger in the older boys age groups, South getting success in younger boys groups, likewise with Woodville (but terrible in the girls) Centrals has a 4 yr window of success in their boys program (but are suffering a huge drop off across all divisions in boys/girls from U12s down, seemingly corresponding with a new JDO taking over, and possibly dropping the ball with the the younger groups).

Talking to Sturt people they weren't overly surprised with how their teams did. They just weren't the best team in most of the divisions and have suffered some key injuries this year (U16 boys being 1 example, with up to 4 key kids injured).

Sturt seem to be the only club consistently strong across the board, not patchy like all the other clubs. I think this consistency says alot about their club overall the way it's governed and led, whereas the other programs seem to have pockets of this.

Reply #475147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

post 5147 Sturt did actually win a reserves grade - U/18 boys and playing in the Norwood Tournament certainly helped them as a team. They were the only Sturt boys to win a grade so lets give them credit where its due.

Reply #475160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

reread post 5147 and think he means winning overall grades and not individual teams as Sturt u/18's reserve Boys. Point taken.

Reply #475161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

161, correct. It WAS in reference to the fact they didn't win the grade.

I must admit though I wasn't aware of this win but looking at the results overall.

Reply #475166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

147, what a lot of rubbish.

The new JDO at Centrals has dropped the ball with the younger age groups has he? It's not hard to work out that this was posted by the previous JDO and now Sturt u18 Div 2 coach.

Reply #475183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't make excuses for Sturt 16 boys not winning due to injuries.

Reply #475190 | Report this post

Hogwash28  
Years ago

Sturt with a full squad have already been beaten by Centrals without their full squad this year so results speak for themselves!
Sturt being a club that prides itself on winning state champs needs to immediately address the decline in the clubs previous successful performances. I wonder who has dropped the ball there? Consistent across the board? Consistently average it would seem.

Reply #475194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i wouldnt say forestville are that weak in boys after all they won boys reserves overall

Reply #475207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can personally assure you that the Centrals JDO has not dropped the ball on the younger age groups. I just got out of a meeting with him that a few div 1 coaches are having. Strategies have been put in place to address our current deficiencies in the future both immediate and long term, including weaker results in the younger age groups. Combine that with the new coaches we have acquired and the young up and coming coaches we are developing, it is a bright future ahead for the club that has steadily improved over the last 4-5 years. The old Centrals director did an EXCELLENT job of working with the younger age groups to help create our current succesfull teams (the team he worked with is currently bottom age 16 div 1 and 2), and the current JDO is fully aware of the importance of starting from the ground up. It's hard to accuse a JDO of neglecting younger age groups if you aren't currently in the club.

Reply #475221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

207 - winning reserves overall does not equate to to success across the boys program as you need to look at all the regular season ladders and state champs results. You can win a state champs group title if there are a variety of other clubs having success that year, which is the case this year. Sturt won overall due to the volume overall in finals playoffs or higher finishes. Its a numbers game and and as with Stats can not always show the full picture, which is why an analysis should always be done to evaluate what they really mean.

Yes the boys reserves that won for Sturt should be proud of their achievement this year.... Sorry I missed noting that in earlier post….

Reply #475228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Along with strategies needs to go hard work. Clearly there were strategies before the slide began to occur.

So what is being done to fill the gap between the strategies and the hard work?

Reply #475229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"fully aware of the importance of starting from the ground up" I assume you mean starting 'building' from the ground up???? Or do you mean 'destroying' from the ground up???

Many are saying it's the latter, and from the outside, looking at where things are going, and if history repeats, it looks like a capitulation is coming over the coming 3-4 yrs.

Programs are not built over night and they are not destroyed over night. It takes a few years, so time will tell.

I hope what many are saying is wrong, and what has been built can continue to be built upon. Time will tell.

Reply #475261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless you are on the inside there is no way you can know. I've been involved with the club for a long time and I can tell you things are better than ever there.

Reply #475397 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:02 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754