College Kid
Years ago

How do you get into College

What is the process for getting into College?

Do you go through an agent contact Colleges direct?

Would like to know where to start.

Topic #34503 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

College website have areas where you can register your interest. Basically have some bio information (like a CV) available and video footage. I would get on a tour that exposes you to scouts. Some tours, have this as a purpose, whereas some are about a "Basketball holiday". Find out before you go what you are getting.

Be careful of people that over promise and under deliver. I've heard of people setting clinics branded "college preparation" clinics only to raise the expectation that this is the pathway to college only when all it was, was designed to generate a market for their clinics.

Ultimately it comes down to you if you are good enough. If you are contact enough colleges and you will get offers. Also, be careful about colleges telling you they are interested. In my experience an Assistant Coach will get a lot of kids on their list, telling them what they want to hear only to pick the best ones and then changing their story to the ones that aren't good enough once this happens.

Make sure you are doing the right subjects and playing in the right competitions to ensure your eligibility for the level of school you want to get into. Talk to people that have contemporary exposure to these pathways and are reputable, as I've seen kids get poor advice from so called self branded "experts" only to be let down when they find they are ineligible. Often your NITP head coach, club president, coaching director or ABL coach will be a good starting point to locate who these people are.

Also, at U18 Nationals there are often a range of US college coaches there watching and this is a great place to get footage. People watching video scouts can see easily if you are dominating against crap opposition or at a high level (I've seen great footage of players dominating, but against 40 yr olds at social basketball).

Reply #475294 | Report this post

helper  
Years ago

get a SAT rating. (education standard)

try to find players who have been to college and get info on how they got there.

My son contacted 5 colleges he picked off the NET and sent a resume, SAT score and his swimming times. (he was a swimmer not basketball player). 3 colleges replied with 1 requesting he be there in 3 wks. He went and spent 4 yrs there.

Reply #475302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You will need a highlight video and SAT score to send them. It is very hard to earn a scholarship at the division 1 level, but there are numerous division 2 and 3 schools looking for players pretty much year round.

Reply #475307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be good enough and they will come after you

Reply #475308 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Don't be overly reliant on sending resumes and hoping to get interest that way.

helper's son managed to do it because he was a swimmer - obviously swimming times are measurable. If you swim 1min 34 secs in Australia, your going to swim 1min 34secs anywhere (give or take a bit each way).

With basketball however, trying to cross-compare the standard of basketball in Australia to that in USA can be difficult. You can't assume that college coaches know what level your competition is.

But as helper notes, do your homework and study for the SAT's really hard.

Don't just try wing it. I found it very weird. I grew up in NZ/Australia and the curriculum of the SAT was very different. I studied hard and went all out on preparation and got a 1940.
NB: You will be a student-athlete. At every step in the process, everyone will remind you that "student" comes before "Athlete", so don't think that just being a great basketball player will pre-approve you.

My other piece of advice: decide on what level you think you are at/be frank and get outside opinion.

Remember that NCAA D1/D2/NAIA only offer scholarships. NCAA D3 offers no scholarships for athletics - found this to be a real shame as I saw some great D3 colleges around.

You can never do enough research on this topic. You're talking about entering a system where you will be busy 12 hours a day (either in class, practice or what have you). If the support isn't there, the culture isn't right, the people aren't right or the actual academic component isn't what you'd hoped..my advice would be don't go. Just go into everything with a holistic view and realise to look at every facet of the college from the basketball to the classroom structure to the living arrangements.

Reply #475311 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Trinity College in Gawler run the SAT test out there.

Reply #475329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would anyone waste their time going to a div 2 college?!?

Particularly when majority of degrees in USA do not correlate to degrees/jobs in Australia!

Stay home get an education and realise .005% of the worlds population make money in Basketball!

Or treat yourself to living off the trust find!

Reply #475334 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thought of some questions that might be useful to others:

Do people have information on the usual timings of all this process?

Obviously if you're one of the better players (AIS, U18 and U20 Nationals) the colleges will be calling you and flying you over, but at what point would someone be looking at getting on the front foot? What age and part of the year?

Is there a level of ability at which it's just not really worth bothering?

Reply #475338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

334, some degrees and institutions this is true of but definately not all. Infact for some industries an overseas degree, coupled with some local education or professional membership (CPA, Engineers Australia, ACS, AIM etc) has even more credibility. I know of one athlete who has been offered a free ride at Harvard to study medicine for example. Harvard don't give sporting scholarships per se but can setup opportunities via their boosters.

Now a medicine degree from Harvard aint too bad.

THere are some fine D2 schools as well. I've seen quite a few kids go to D2 schools and eventually be very successful back here in professional roles.

Reply #475341 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

#334, A 3 year degree in Australia/NZ can cost $25k ish. A 4 year degree probably $33k. ish.

A full-ride scholarship will cover all this and some.

Your right about certain professions e.g. Law was never going to work for me.

However, in some areas, Australian employers would really value U.S. Degrees.

Reply #475343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First up make sure you have done the right subjects at high school because if you don't you may only be able to go to an NAIA college or go to junior college first and do the missing subjects then go to NCAA college for 2 years.
But I can tell you some of the NAIA colleges are very strong and a good option.
I did it this way went to NAIA site and looked at National Championship results in both Div 1 and 2 sent out a letter and video package to about 50 colleges and got positive reply's back from about 30.
Then choose 5 of my favorite based on ratings nationally and there rosters, then we arranged to visit all 5 and train and stay at all 5 for 3 to 4 days, then went back to Oz and decided which one best suited me.
Emailed that team and accepted there offer and also emailed the other 4 and said thank you but know thanks and the journey started and I would recommend it to any aspiring junior.
If you want to go to a top NCAA Div 1 college you better be AIS standard or very close and have a guardian angle because its very hard to get anyone at that level to even speak to you

Reply #475400 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Go over and walk on

Reply #475403 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

This maybe of interest. Every time you hear of an Aussie baller getting a scholarship do some research on the program, their roster and coaching staff. You would be surprised how many times the coaching staff will have a connection with Australia. It's often an assistant who has played back in the day in Australia for a season or two.

Most schools have excellent bio of staff including direct email for each coach. And remember there are Aussies coaching at NCAA. Off the top of my head check out

John Rillie - Boise State
Chris Harriman - St.Louis
Mike Czepil - Nichols State (from Hoppers Crossing)
Daniel Leeworthy - Western State Colorado

Couple with Aussie connections from memory

Layfayette (Dan Trist plays there) Head Coach Fran O'Hanlon I think played in Australia. Plus Assistant John O'Connors has connections

Miami Ohio (Jaryd Eustice & Josh Oswald play there) Assistant Rick Ducket

Albany (NY) Devlin,Rowley, Hooley. Assistant Coach Jeremy Friel recruits Australia.

Reply #475410 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Also, be careful about playing in tournaments involving prize money, payments, rewards or gifts.

The NCAA have (rightly) relaxed these rules - allowing you to earn money up to the value of normal living expenses.

But, be careful about playing SEABL, CABL, QBL etc.

College coaches will shy away from you if there is an eligibilty issue. If you are going to a big name school they don't have a problem (e.g. Tai Webster last year). But if your a run of the mill player they will be inclined to get someone from the States and avoid any messy eligibility problems.

Mitch McCarron ran into some problems at Metro his first year due to his QBL involvement

"Is there a level of ability at which it's just not really worth bothering?"

Depends on the player and his position. Imo and correct me if im wrong its tougher for a guard from Australia to make it in the States - you have to be a scoring threat, be able to defend lightning quick guards and if your a PG control your team. If your a big you have a nice chance of carving a niche in college as a rebounder or a guy who can give the starters a rest here and there without doing too much offensively or defensively.

Its all about finding a niche. I know some great players who have struggled over there. I know some ok players who have done extremely well also.

Reply #475421 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@anon #334 I suspect you are just trolling, however I would remind those reading that not everyone who wants to go to a US college on a basketball scholarship is there to do so because they want to play professionally.

Many go for the experience, to further their education without winding up with a HEX debt afterwards and of course to improve their skills and knowledge.

Whether it works out or not, people can do this at any level, Div1 down to Junior College, in their eyes the experience alone would not be a waiste of time...

Reply #475450 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Are you good enough?

First question to answer and is that confirmed by any persons with basketball knowledge.

Believing in yourself is a must but you really have to be a good player or a better path is on-shore.

Reply #475465 | Report this post

College Kid  
Years ago

Anon 400

You obviously researched what was required but do you know if there are agents that can assist with this process?

Reply #475470 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

If your good enough the universities will find you, if your on the fringe you need to do the leg work.Ryan Miller who played out here was at Auburn and i believe is now at UNLV on the coaching staff.

Reply #475472 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Been over and recieved a part scholarship freshman year / full ride my next 3 years - remember buyer beware, US coach that recruits you may not be there when you arrive and there is a good chance he wont be there when you leave.
there is lots of ways of doing it and the best way get in touch with your local coach. they can help put some high lights and drill tapes together. Plus 1 full length league game something the coaches can gage you off.
I completed my SAT before and i had my scores ready for the coaches.
Good luck for anyone attempting to go over - australian education vs a us education, hands down australian education but for experince over there i had wont be forgotten that for sure.

Reply #475558 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

College Kid

There are a number of organisations in Melbourne and Sydney that will act as your agent to help you approach US colleges.

Of course you will have to pay some money to use their services.

If you just want a starting point try Showtime Basketball.

Or just Google college recruiting services in Australia.

Reply #475559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just dont pay $8k to idiots like Sunderland and Co as all you get there is a Canadian school. Half the kids he has sent there have come back.

Reply #475688 | Report this post

Colours  
Years ago

There's an article in the New York Times this week about rugby scholarships being the next big thing. For girls too. Much less competition than for basketball and swimming.

Reply #475705 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:37 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754