billy the kidd
Years ago

Will the King Return?

Cavaliers have some leverage now with their draft picks which makes them a lot more attractive as a part of a trade deal to get Lebron back to Cleveland. What are peoples thoughts on Lebron returning to his home town? Maybe a big 3 in K-love/Kyrie/King?

Topic #34519 | Report this topic

Chris  
Years ago

Isn't LeBron James a free agent at the end of the season. No trade would be needed.

Would have to be championship contenders for him to consider them. Don't.think there is much depth on their bench.

Reply #475657 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I thought this thread was about Elvis Presley!

Seriously though, would he be welcome back in that town after all the bad blood? Maybe he would, I know Gary Ablett Jr. is always welcome back to Geelong... :]

Reply #475665 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I can sorta see how these theories come up, but i doubt it will happen.

Does anyone leave Pat Riley and a team that has won 2 (maybe 3) titles in the last 3 years??

The only way i see it happening is if his wife/family wants to live back in Ohio, and even then id say the ultimate decision would come down to hoops, as LeBron will only be playing another 5-10 years in all likelyhood so they can live wherever they want after that.

If LeBron moves i reckon it would be more likely to another contender and only if he beleives he cant get it again with the Heat, who are an aging team.

If he wants another title and change the teams wouldnt you go to the Bulls?? They have cap space, would have atleast Rose, Noah, Butler, Gibson to round out the starting 5, and coach Thibs, to me thats way better than the cavs or most other teams could offer. Think even without Rose they were very good, add LeBron even without Rose theyd probably be int he conference finals imo.

Reply #475668 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

ultimately i think he stays with the Heat,

but i guess anything can happen.

Reply #475669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he will go to LA for sure

Reply #475676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe,,Nash, Gasol, James, Love in 2015

Reply #475677 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Why would he go to LA??

What can they offer the Heat couldnt???

Kobe Bryant isnt a drawcard for star players, they are not even a playoff team.

The Clippers i spose is more likely, but still dont see it happening, and doubt they could really fit him in without losing one of there stars, hence making it less attractive to go there.

It could happen, but i doubt it, i reckon Cavs more likely,

Reply #475678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I tell you Kobe is pushing for him to come as it will be his last season - Love is already fav to be there - Kobe, Nash and Gasol are on the back-end of the contact and they can pay out max for James...tell me that team would not win a ring....

Reply #475679 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Big question is Nash and Kobe will they even be on the court for half the season???

Lets remember this isnt 25-30 year old MVP level Nash and Kobe we are talking.

Also, Kobe clashes with team mates, why would LeBron leave his mate in Wade, who is better than Kobe these days anyway to play with Kobe.

Also half of those guys dont play much defense, which makes it tough to win titles.

If im LeBron i aint joining those guys, he may, but i wouldnt and i dont reckon he would.

My bet is he stays in Miami, why would he leave?? how is that situation more attractive to the Heat?

The Heat can keep the big 3, get some younger guys in to replace some of the oldies on there team and go around again, lets face it LeBron is a star that players enjoy playing with, they will have the pick of the guys who are in there price range so should be able to re-tool fairly quickly imo, and should atleast stay top 4-5 in the east, that lakers team would find it alot tougher to get to that level imo, West is much deeper.

Reply #475681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kobe is finished

Reply #475682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol yeah LeBron's going to leave the Heat for the Lakers to settle playing second fiddle to Kobe!

Reply #475683 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

How would Kobe's ego handle playing with the best player in the game

Reply #475685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

James to Lakers is like James to Heat:

Wade knew he would not be #1, and Bryant would know it too.

Reply #475690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LeBron will go back to Cleveland as it will redeem himself to all who thought ill of him when he left. It would be the perfect PR move think about it and the NBA wouldn't mind that's why they keep giving Cavs high draft picks

Reply #475713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you really think Kobe would allow LeBron to take more shots than him or even handle the ball more than him?

Reply #475728 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Don't think he is going anywhere. He knows he is at one of the top 4 organisations in the NBA (Heat, Spurs, Dallas & Boston), why would he leave that to go back to Cleveland which has already proven during his time there to be an inept workplace? And the way they have screwed up their lottery picks over the last 5 years wouldn't make him feel confident they are going to get any better.
I think he stays in Miami and lets Pat Riley try to re-load

Reply #475775 | Report this post

Who?  
Years ago

Ha Ha!

Top 4 Organisations Dallas, Heat, Spurs and ........... Boston.

Come on Celtic Green put the pipe down.

Boston are in for a long 10 year drought just like the 20 years before the big 3 came in.

I can think of 5 teams that are a better "organisation"

Reply #475798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea but look at the Celtics decision making, so much better than the Lakers,

Instead of overpaying there ageing stars and extending there contract they moved them on and went for a propper re-build, and imo look in such a better position than the Lakers.

They have a great young coach.

A good draft pick (as do the lakers)

A GM/ownership group that to me makes better decisions.

If i had the choice between joining the Celtics and Lakers id take the Celtics right now, they look in such a better position to contend in the next 3-5 years.

The Lakers will get nowhere for the next couple of years whilst Kobe has that crazy contract they gave him.

Im a Bulls fan but do rate how the Celtics have gone about this re-build, it will now depend on the quality of there recruitment and development to see how far they can get, but atleast they were smart enough to know when to move on from past 'glory days', many other franchises dont.

Reply #475820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Jonno no chance Wade has ever or ever will be better than Kobe. It's not even close. Also Celtic green how can you say the Celtics are better set up for the next 5 years?????

LA only have 3 contracted players, still reside in LA with 25 degree days in Winter and players have a chance to play for the most glamorous franchise in the NBA.
Just because Duuuuuurwight bolted doesn't mean LA can't sign huge free agents. Howard couldn't handle the pressure, look how Houston went in the playoffs - as far as he went in LA with a better team and coach.
LA were under the cap last season resetting their luxury cap penalties meaning they can and will spend over the cap in the next 3 years without a doubt.

Yes Kobe has a big contract but it is owed to him, check MJs last year in Chicago - he got payed 40 million for one year, yes they won the title but Chicago knew it was his last contract so they paid him the dollars he deserved.

I'm thinking the Lakers play with a B+ roster next season making the playoffs around 6th 7th or 8th seed, then load up in 2015 with K Love and Westbrook or with their 2014 draft pick ( Marcus smart ) and Kobes last year

Don't let your hatred and jealousy for LA fuel your predictions. It's cool now to say the Lakers are fucked because of Jim Buss but do your research buddy, Kupcheck still holds the keys and he will pull something out like he always does. Dwight and Nash didn't work out but I bet the day they signed you were throwing stuff in the office at work.

Maybe just maybe LeBron does go to LA ha ha ha ha

As much as you hate it LA will always be relevant.

Reply #475848 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Wade right now is better than kobe, the fact he played most of the season alone makes him better, compare there stats the last 2 seasons or so. Also he is best mates with LeBron, Kobe is friends with very few in the NBA. Over a career it is very close between Kobe and Wade, compare the key stats say PPG, APG, RBG, SPG, FG%, PER, FIC, Titles won, GF's played in, things like that and you will notice the gap is quite small, so yeas with Wades friendship with LeBron, current form, being younger than Kobe i am certain LeBron and most stars would chose to play with Wade over Kobe if they had the choice.

The Lakers 3 players take up over half their cap im pretty sure then all the cap holds meaning you have to allow for a roster of 12 in signing people means they dont have as much space as people think, without checking i think they pretty much have to let Gasol go for nothing to get a star in, and then which star are they going to get??? Id be shocked if LeBron went to the LAkers and not as certain as some they would get Love or Westbrook in a year or so, there are just so many more attractive places to play as far as winnning goes anyway.

Ok MJ had a huge contract in his last season, before his last season at the Bulls didnt they just win back to back and MJ was in MVP type form. The Bulls were not trying to rebuild with that contract on their books, they were winning titles! the Lakers are now in a rebuild position, so it hurts them. Im sorry the same cant be said for Kobe, i think he will be lucky to be on court for half the games of that contract. Also the fact MJ is the GREATEST of all time, was in top form right through that last season with the Bulls who won the title, Kobe wouldnt be top 5 and struggles for my top 10 players of all time, so yes Jordan was worth his contract, Kobe isnt, for me its as simple as that.

Nah i wasnt worried/impressed at all when Nash and Dwight signed, Nash was old (they got him too late) and doesnt play any defense, hence why im not surprised that even at his peak he never won a title.
With Dwight i knew him and Kobe wouldnt work as a tandem, just due to there egos, it was never going to work. I dont see why they thought it would.
So in both cases the Lakers would have been better off never getting them. So yea the Lakers have not worried me as contenders since around 2010, ever since the big 3, KD coming of age, and the Spurs have always been good in the Duncan/Pop era, the Lakers were never going to beat those teams even if they did beat everyone else, which they didnt.

I dont hate the Lakers, liked them when they had Shaq and when the Kobe/Gasol/Odom tandem (a few years younger) but since then they have made some poor decisions trying to short cut and have never thought they would work. Kobe is also a coach/chemistry killer and a poor team mate, Dwight is similar, hence why it wouldn't work, Kobe is smart enough to pull his head in enough to win titles or get close when they are genuinely in the hunt, ie he won a 3 with Shaq, but he isnt someone you could build a franchise from scratch around, he only appreciated Jackson coming back as coach and Gasol coming in as he realised he wasnt going to win without them, as between Shaq/Jackson leaving and Gasol arriving i dont think they even made the playoffs.

Kobe back in the day was MVP level and is one of the best SG to play the game, but he has never been a player that guys have lined up to play with, mostly due to ego, etc, so i doubt thats going to change now. If they get LeBron it would be more like, its ok Kobe wont be here past 2 years and will likely miss many games, so its your team and you wont have to put up with him for too long. But why would he leave the Heat for that?? he has Wade (his best freind), Pat Riley, Coach Spo and a good support cast will always be assembled, LeBron is a great team mate and guys would line up to play with him.

Its not hate, just being realistic, the LAkers are not currently a glamour team imo, and dumb decisions like extending an ageing star to a massive contract when the team is not a contender doesnt help.

Reply #475858 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:42 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754