Great signing!

Topic #34541 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sucked in Sixers fans!

Reply #476168 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The MightyMite Sydney Kings are thrilled to announce that the club has signed point guard Jason Cadee for the next two National Basketball League seasons.

At just 23 years of age, Cadee is considered one of Australian basketball's outstanding prospects and has been earmarked by many judges for future selection in the national program.
Full article on SydneyKings.com

Kings have now signed:

Jason Cadee
Cody Ellis
Tom Garlepp
Ben Madgen
Kevin White

Reply #476169 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

Sucked in sixes fans? I personally am not too phased

Reply #476171 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Decent signing, now lets see if he can step up.

Reply #476170 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Yeah not too phased.

Reply #476172 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Good on him.

Have seen him play over here in NZ - and he is an amazing talent.

With more minutes and a bit more freedom, he can be a genuine star of the league.

It's a win for everybody.

Reply #476173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of better guards out there than jason Cadee.

Reply #476174 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Great for Cadee will get more opportunity with the Kings. I wouldn't say sucked in sixers though they had one guard too many imo

Reply #476175 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

A win:win situation for both the player and club.

Reply #476177 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Good signing and being a local boy with home connections can mean a saving of $20k per season for both sides.

Reply #476178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard they're rebranding to Sydney City

Reply #476179 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thanks for the good times in Adelaide and all the best for the future.

Reply #476180 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree that it's potentially a win for both sides. Think he has solid potential to be a crafty, freelancing point guard but should get more opportunity to do that interstate.

In that category of player where I will be happy to see him succeed somewhere, but wouldn't mortgage the house to keep him if it came to that (whereas I would more so with Gibson, Petrie and Johnson).

Cadee on Twitter:

Just want to thank the @Adelaide36ers for the last 2 years. Been a real pleasure. Loved my time there and being able to call it home!

Reply #476181 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree Isaac. I was hoping NZ would sign him to play backup PG but he is better than that and deserves more minutes than he's been getting.

Reply #476182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 6ers probably should have signed that Maynard kid in this spot hey?

Reply #476183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodbye and good riddance

Reply #476184 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Positive news and good press for Sydney Kings, they are already making what appear to be good decisions and I would suggest stirring up some pre season passion and interest in basketball & the NBL; This is contrary to what we have been experiencing in Melbourne!

Reply #476186 | Report this post

Pointguard  
Years ago

Last chance for him to be legit in this league, heard too much "potential"

Reply #476187 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Not a big surprise at all.
I'm sure we can find somebody just as, if not more valuable

Reply #476188 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Agree Mystro,

I was hoping we would pick him up. Would have been a nice fit for the Breakers. I have seen him over here in NZ - and his open-court, trans, up-tempo game is very good.

Always saw him as proud Sydney boy, so didn't really believe it was ever on the cards.

Its a win because it was unfair on Cadee, given his skill, to have to be essentially the 4th PG. But it was also unfair on Ervin and Gibson, two great players, to have to give their minutes to two other PGs.

Either way - Adelaide still have Gibson and Ervin. and Cadee gets the opportunity he deserves in SYD

Reply #476189 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Had he gone to college this upcoming season would have been his rookie year. He has worn the potential tag for a few years now so in someway it's time for him to put up or shut up.
Will he be starting guard from day one?

Reply #476191 | Report this post

Dr McStuffins  
Years ago

let the kid start
he is too slick to be coming off the bench
killing it in NZ atm

Reply #476192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO he will never be more than a useful back up guard in the NBL. Has great attributes in speed and ability to see the game but is weak defensively and with his shooting mechanics and inability to be a consistent scorer/outside threat he somewhat hinders his before mentioned up side.

You're a good kid Jason and I wish you all the best! I hope you prove me wrong...

Would now like to see the Sixers retain Carter as the 3rd guard.

Guard rotation of Import, Gibbo and Carter with Teys floating between SG/SF.

Reply #476194 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Carter and Teys as your bench guards I think most teams would be happy with that

Reply #476197 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Best of luck at the Kings Cadee, he is sort of in between a starter and a really good back up imo, too good to be a 15 min a game player, but not sure he is good enough to be a 25+min a game player on a strong team, time will tell and i hope the Kings give him a good shot.

I personally expected him to leave and wanted to Keep Carter over him as the back up guard anyway, so not too phased.

At worse the sixer will have Gibbo, a import, Teys and say Daly, so still a very solid back court and to me thats the worse case scenario, which i would be happy to have, but yea im a Carter fan so hoping we can keep him, which will probably mean Daly is 11th man (if we can fit him in).

Reply #476198 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

If the choice is between Cadee or Carter I take Carter. Carter is flashy and a rick taker but can also turn a game as he did for the 36ers v Melbourne.

Cadee never really elevated to the next level as was predicted while here. Adnam or Daly could fill the spot for less money and less points too.

Reply #476199 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cadee never got the minutes at Gold Coast or Adelaide to step up to the next level so some of these comments are a little unfair on him.
Judge him after he's started some games or at least gotten a decent run with the Kings.

Reply #476200 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Great move by the Sixers imho.

This kid has already peaked.

Reply #476203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro...Cadee was starting pg season before last.

Reply #476206 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Wait: MightyMite?

Reply #476207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick....too hard to change his shooting mechanics now and thats the major thing holding him back.

Reply #476208 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Mystro...Cadee was starting pg season before last."

I wouldn't judge any player for how they played under Marty

Reply #476212 | Report this post

Big Ads of Perth  
Years ago

I would have been fretting about Jason's departure 12 months ago but Brendan Tey's major breakout last season has me optimistic that the Sixers can cover the loss of Cadee.

As mentioned by others, it creates a win/win scenario for both parties in this instance.

I wish him the best and hope he does rise to another level and has success with the Kings (except when they play the Sixers).

(8/20)

Reply #476215 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Great to see the Kings snag Cadee... As has already been said, he's been able to shine when given the minutes, and hopefully that will continue with Sydney... I hope he isn't the starting PG, I don't think he's quite there yet, but if he gets really decent minutes to test him and work him harder, totally cool with that... I think he would be a great first off the bench and I think that would give him that extra boost as like has also been said, his quickness and transition offence is really great to watch and it would be great to see him keep his confidence up shooting from outside... Would hate for him to have nailed them against us so many times but not be able to do it FOR us :)

Hopefully this has a wider benefit for the team as well, trying to pull in some of the Westie fans that might have stayed away up until now, always good to get a Bankstown boy on board...

Reply #476219 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Well , this has the potential to be as big a mistake for the 36ers as losing Aaron Bruce, a player who when we had him had already played reasonably well for the boomers.

Not sorry at all to see him go - was obvious once Gibson arrived his days were numbered, in all seriousness I wish him well ,

Reply #476221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair point Mystro....I was expecting that. ;-)

Reply #476224 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

I agree with some of the other comments his shooting technique is going to hold him back, no pull up jumper and a below average 3pt shot means you can lay off him. That said in the open court he's quick on quick.

Reply #476236 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

I have never understood why 36er fans laud Creek but disparage Cadee. There is only 1 year difference in age.

Reply #476241 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cadee had the starting job for a season whereas it has generally eluded Creek. I think people are enamoured with his style of play too because it is fun to watch.

That said, I put them in the same basket. Nice to have, not end of the world to lose if the alternative is bench minutes forever. If Creek jumped ship for bigger minutes trying to prove himself once and for all, I wouldn't cry about the loss, but I'd definitely hope to see him succeed.

Reply #476245 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

For the amusement factor and to drive Cadee insane, if Gibson was a free agent he should say in the paper that he really wants to play for Sydney next year :P

Good luck to Cadee. He deserves a decent opportunity and he has made the right choice.

Reply #476248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree! Both players are 'nice to have', but not essentials. Also great advocates off court too.
I think they're coming to a bit of a crossroads. They're certainly still young, but there's a lot of talk about their potential, which will sooner rather than later get a little tired. How long do you wait (how many coaches - Creek, or teams - Cadee) do they have before they either really hit their straps, or just solidify that they're really good 6th or 7th mans. Good luck to them though!

Reply #476252 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Good luck to him really. He wants the opportunity to start and if the 36ers sign another import guard (or we somehow manage to get Ervin back here) then he'd be back on the bench.

Can't blame him to be honest, I hope he does well in Sydney (though not when playing Adelaide ;-) )

Reply #476266 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

If I was the 36ers

Import (10)/Daly(1)
Gibson (10)/Teys (1)
Import (10)/Creek (6)
Petrie (8)/Anthony (5)
Johnson (8)/Schenscher (9)

Would look for the Small Forward to be a "3 and D" guy

Reply #476269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meh.

Reply #476284 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti has an article on his site for those interested, noting that the Sixers hadn't made Cadee an offer by the time he signed with Sydney. Mentioned that he was on a bit from his Marty contract but willing to take a pay cut to stay. If Joey wasn't interested enough to make an offer, then sounds like Cadee made the right choice and Joey won't be too concerned.

Assuming they haven't saved anything on the Schenscher contract, maybe this is a chance to upgrade a bit on the budget import allowance they had for Frye last time.

Reply #476288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's the article from boti

Reply #476289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti is incorrect
36ers were negotiating with Cadee before he had even spoken to Kings

Reply #476292 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Ganymede 86...

Isn't Gary Ervin already signed?

Reply #476311 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Overall I am happy for Jason because he will have more opportunities.

Remember this kid came back from a horrific car accident, so I cannot help but to support him as he has overcome big obstacles.

However, there lingers still some sadness, as Jason was a very servicable PG off the bench for the Sixers, especially when he is pushing the ball.

I wish him all the best and hope the Sixer fans give him a warm welcome when he visits next because he game the team 2 good years.

Reply #476313 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Sydney should really challenge Adelaide for 2nd place next season.

Reply #476315 | Report this post

Clive  
Years ago

Maxymoo likes talking shit.
Maxypoo

Reply #476317 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

He is 24 and the criticism is rediculous, he is 5 years off his prime and if he played another 10 seasons in the NBL then I don't think it would be a massive surprise. Let the young fella play and I'm sure he will learn from his errors and hopefully he gets along with his new coach!

Well done Jason and best of luck mate

I think the criticism is just people getting itchy feet, wanting the basketball to be back on (yeah I know NBA is on)

Reply #476321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He actually only just turned 23.

Reply #476326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti will never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
B Grade

Reply #476336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac....I believe Schenscher has signed under a new agreement. ;-)

Reply #476356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In fairness to Boti, he said they hadn't made him an offer, not that there weren't negotiations.

Reply #476367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so what were they negotiating about then?

Reply #476387 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti's source looked to be Cadee? If so, if Cadee didn't think the 36ers made a real contract offer, that's enough to know. Either they didn't, or he didn't judge whatever they did as serious enough.

Reply #476392 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I dare say either the 36ers were wanting to keep Carter and add a 2nd import next season so didnt have room for Cadee

or

were waiting to see what happened with Schenscher and DJ to see how much they had to spend on the 2 imports plus the back up guard (cadees spot) to work out if they could fit Cadee in, and the kings came in with a really good offer and likely more court time so Cadee went for it.

Either way cant blame Cadee for taking it, especially given its his home city,

if the 36ers are hoping to have Import, Gibson, Teys, Carter in the guard rotation there wasnt really room for Cadee so they are probably not too phased,

so as others have said its quite possibly a win win, i sort of expected Cadee to leave, he left Joey in the GC and i thought he would get offered more minutes/money elsewhere,

so i personally would have been surprised if did stick around, i spose the winning last season at the 36ers and getting pretty close to a title may have tempted him to stick around at a lesser role and try for a championship, but in the end it wasnt offered to him (atleast quickly enough) or the other offer was too good.

Best of luck to Cadee at the kings, i will be very interested to see how the rest of his career turns out.

Reply #476396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"so what were they negotiating about then?"

Negotiations can take place without a contract offer being made.

Reply #476409 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:05 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754