Anonymous
Years ago

Bogut Academy

Is it true that a large number of the kids LS got into college, all bit it Canadian ones, have come back early feeling very disappointed ??

Topic #34551 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of kids come back from College dissapointed because all the bright lights and glam that they thought it was going to be didn`t turn out how they thought.

Certainly wouldn`t put it down to who sent them there.

Some people get lucky wit h a great coach and team others don`t...simple as that.

From what I have seen this academy and others do a good job of getting these kids a go in the first place, when 60-70% shouldn`t even be heading over there at all as they don`t have the games to back it up.

Reply #476422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the whole point ^ most of those kids that go to boguts academy and the other one that is run from msac don't have the talent to be noticed through the usual channels as in state and national teams! but given half a chance could still make their dreams come true in low div colleges or Canadian ones. Good on them for helping these kids get there, even if they do charge a fortune to do so, if parents are willing to pay then they will continue. Problem is when they come back they are still going to be those same players who don't quite reach the elite levels in many cases. But at least they won't have hex fees to pay.

Reply #476424 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Bogus Academy?

Reply #476428 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Keep digging mate

Reply #476432 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Thought it had been a while since we had a crack at the Bogut academy and Luke.

As far as I am aware, not one of the parents/athletes are being sent there against their will.

It's an option that some athletes/parents choose to utilise. If you are happy to pay to have the coaching and use the facilities, then what's the problem ?

To all the muppets that come on here complaining, how about you just don't go there/send your kids there and move on.

Reply #476445 | Report this post

ReallyDude1  
Years ago

Seriously, who's the Muppet making all the wild claims? Where are your facts? How about naming names rather than the "large number of kids" claim - really weak!

Reply #476454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I Think you will find it`s someone with sour grapes or someone who has heard of someone making it over there another way so they think these places are a waste of time.

As the above post said, if you want to go to these acedemies then go, if you don`t the don`t.

Plenty of kids getting there off there own bat as well filling out forms and BS schools with what they can do, it doesn`t take long when they are over there to be found out for what they truly are.

Our youth leagues here in Vic are a fantastci tool for developing the younger players to play senior ball downthe line. The issue now is the fact that there are so many opportunities for kids that they don`t have to work hard or earn there spots anymore.

Clubs, Coaches and teams are expected to prove themselves to the player rather then the other way around, or the disgruntled players walk and go elsewhere as there is so many option available.

Does anybody get cut anymore?

As for kids being noticed through the "usual" channels of state teams etc, I don`t think you can 100 percent list this as an accurate tool for how good a player is. Sure the majority of the great players will find there ways into these programs, however there are still many who miss out due to being from programs that are small and therefore they are not given a look in.

Stacey Barr always comes to mind when this discussion comes up, Dominated at the womens level and is doing great in the U.S but couldn`t get a look at the U18 level.

Reply #476493 | Report this post

Smeta  
Years ago

I would have thought it is pretty simple...

Don`t wanna pay the money? don`t like the service? don`t go!!

Wanna go down the state route? work your ass off and put/get yourself in the position to be noticed.

So many people bitching and moaning about what others have and what they couldn`t get themselves due to their circumstances. CHANGE IT!!

Reply #476496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he didn't lie to players and parents about his achievements and what he claims to be able to do then people wouldn't have a crack at him. Take his Jock Landale FB post, if you didn't know better you would think LS got him this scholarship but the smart people know he had this lined up well before he ever set foot into the Bogus place.
People will say anything to keep their income rolling in. Tell them what they want to hear not what the need to know.

Reply #476497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you are friends with LS on fb? Trolling at its finest! Pretty sure it won't take long for him to figure out who you are.

Jock went there to get better before he left. Which is the purpose of the program. Again, like posted before, Jock didn't have to go, maybe ask him about it?

Reply #476498 | Report this post

Smeta  
Years ago

^^^ Really mate???,

"Best of luck to Jock Landalle. Heading to NCAA division 1 St. Mary`s College tomorrow morning for summer school before his freshmab season"

Not sure if my iPhone is broken but I must have missed the part where the academy/Luke takes credit for him getting there.

Have a crack all you like, but post with your name instead of hiding behind and faceless post.

Reply #476499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure also if you check when Post Grads were announced, it already mentioned that Jock had signed at St. Mary's before he started there.
What about Biyendolo last year?

Reply #476500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny how all these academies are set up for boys when there are just as many girls who end up in college and do well without all the hype.

Reply #476527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure girls are welcome at these places as well are they not, I could be wrong.

Given Australias standing in womens basketball internationally If I was overseas I would certainly be looking here for potential recruits.

WNBL in good shape and our underpinning leagues are very strong.

Reply #476528 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Kids go to LS if they want help in making it to the collegiate level, and luke helps them at a high success rate.
Maybe some of these kids aren't good enough and know that but LS helps kids reach their dreams and that should not be frowned upon.
if the player comes back disappointed then it is not LS fault because he does not choose which school the player goes to, the player does, he simply assists them in finding one!

Reply #476592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Funny how all these academies are set up for boys when there are just as many girls who end up in college and do well without all the hype"

Iam sure if you ring Boguts Academay they have girls programs, I also had a look at "Pick and Roll" there is 39 girls to 55 boys playing in USA last year.

Reply #476615 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

pickandroll.com.au also only list D1 athletes at the present time - there are plenty of young men and women at D2 D3, NAIA and JUCO schools.

Reply #476621 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Funny how all these academies are set up for boys when there are just as many girls who end up in college and do well without all the hype.
Are there any academies started by female entrepreneurs and focusing on female players?

Reply #476624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My point being LC that there is a lot more boys than girls in college, which is definitely the case in Div 1.

Reply #476633 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I would love to see someone like LJ start up a country academy for girls up there in Albury/Wodonga, maybe a satelite venue with another one in Bendigo, especially for girls as they seem to drift off to netball quite often and it would be good to keep them in hoops longer...

Reply #476669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lauren Jackson did launch her own academy last year, but it was a 12 week program based in Melbourne -
http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/1556675/jackson-opens-hoops-academy/

Article mentions national roll out but haven't heard much about it since then

Reply #476671 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

also Jock Landale was first seen by S.t.Marys at Andrew Bogut Showcase, ran by LS

Reply #476687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LJ does have an acedmy, run by some private company that i can`t thin of right now. Predominatley girls attend this but there is boys also.

Reply #476696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the LJ thing was a total flop. I think she got conned into lending her name to it but it was never a basketball focused thing.

Reply #476715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iam sure if you ring Boguts Academay they have girls programs, I also had a look at "Pick and Roll" there is 39 girls to 55 boys playing in USA last year.

So 16 more boys, considering pick and rolled missed a fare few of the girls who are currently over there playing div 1 I'd say there are plenty of girls playing to warrant better coverage both before and after they go, and for these so called academies to actually look to assist them instead of all focus on boys. Especially considering the success of the opals compared to boomers

Reply #476716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the things to take into account with the girls though is the huge drop off after under 16 level. Unlike the boys many drop out. Yes there are still the ones who are serious but the weight of numbers is not there like the younger ages.

Reply #476742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's because they get little to no encouragement, perhaps if more focus was put on the girls basketball more would stay in the sport. You only have to look on forums like this 98% is about the boys be it junior or senior

Reply #476751 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Name the D1 girls pickandroll.com.au missed???

Reply #476764 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Bogut ACADEMY does have a girls program but not a postgrad for girls

Reply #476774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Biyendolo is way out of his league. Wont step foot on the floor and if he does will play garbage minutes.
Not up to Div 1. That coach will be very disappointed.

Reply #476776 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's because they get little to no encouragement, perhaps if more focus was put on the girls basketball more would stay in the sport. You only have to look on forums like this 98% is about the boys be it junior or senior
You're welcome to start topics about the WNBL, ABL-level womens games, Australians in the WNBA, etc. If you're interested in the womens game, be part of the solution.

Reply #476783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16 more boys than 39 total of girls 40 per cent more at a guess :)

defiantly not equal by my books

where are the names that Pick and roll missed.
I think pick and roll do a wonderful job show me any site that shows the coverage from the girls team better than them

Reply #476791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottom line the Andrew Bogut Academy has facilities that no other basketball stadium has in Australia apart from maybe AIS. Luke does have a understanding of the college system and will point you in the right direction. up to the individual whether they want it or not

Reply #476792 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well said ^anon, the Bogut Academy is there for those who wish to use it, yes it may cost you some cash, but it is also a business. I imagine every state in the country wishes they had one similar.

Reply #476798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Well said Anon.

Issac well said, I don`t remember seeing anything posted that a girl would be blocked from this forum if she wanted to get on here and promote girls hoops.

Reply #476810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow just the tone of posts re girls would be enough to put them off and I'm a guy. Come on give the girls some credit here will you, way too much chest pumping and ego preening over boys basketball . Yes pick and roll have covered the girls probably better than most . Aussahoops on the other hand, all the hype re boys recieving offers from college, not a word about any girls and I bet there are plenty. Lauren Sherf will probably be a bigger star than all the boys, she's already in the opals program, at 6'5 and still growing she's got more potential than any other big in Australia but you never see her mentioned, let alone all the others who are certainly making there way into the college rd. not one went to an academy

Reply #476813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is easier for girls to get into basketball in USA. mainly as there is not so many girls playing as boys but USA has just as many girls teams as boys. The only reason I said 40 percent more boys are playing because somebody said that "Funny how all these academies are set up for boys when there are just as many girls who end up in college and do well without all the hype" I follow the girls just as much as the boys

Reply #476842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too many on this thread have little or no idea what they are talking about.

What happens you decide if you want to go get more intense training or not. No one holds a gun to you head, especially not Luke. He tells the kids straight from Day one,the players and the parents there are no guarantee's. What he is teaching them is how hard life can be at college, being there for 5 months at 6am and leaving after 9.If you calculate the hrs they are there, which you experts know all the extra time the kids are there too,It is a very very good rate,not to mention the facility.Luke is a hard coach who expects the best from them all,and by golly he got it.So you experts say the majority went to Canada, who gives a shit, the players are not forced, nor are their parents,all parties know the score before they sign.You say that players don’t return,how do you know why,did you think it might be their health you moron.What gives you the right to dog kids and Luke and Boguts you have never stepped in the door,infact one of these comments comes for a very bitter and twisted ex coach who will never coach in Melbourne again,shall I start a thread and name you and why? So Luke Sunderland you keep doing this mate you are doing a bloody great job.

Reply #476963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke doesn't have a degree in sports science or sports medicine, in fact he doesn't even have anyone down there to properly instruct athletes on the use of any of the weight equipment. They do little proper strength and conditioning and that's a fact.
As for a good understanding of the college system, it takes more than understanding, you need contacts who respect your opinion and he is seriously lacking that !

Reply #477062 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Ok, you can have your opinions as much as you want,
but stating 'facts' is something I will defend myself on.
I have a Degree in Exercise Science and Sport Management, with a Minor in Sports Coaching, from Australian Catholic University.
We also have another staff member who oversees our strength and conditioning program, who also has the same role at one of Melbourne's High Schools with their basketball academy.

Thanks

Luke

Reply #477068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke shouldn't have to defend himself on a forum like this, shame on the haters posting such rubbish.

Reply #477070 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anonymous #062

Can you please tell me then who organized for Sam Daly to get to Grand Canyon and where was he seen ?
If Dan Majerle has recruited, I'm tipping he values Lukes opinion, as does a few other US contacts ive spoken to.

Reply #477078 | Report this post

funnythin  
Years ago

Pity the gutless Anonymous who keeps posting the "hate comments" doesn't have the guts to put his name on the comments. Especially as he claims he knows so much and it so accurate.

How about you tell us why you make up so much stuff? There must be a underlying reason for you hate of Luke and Boguts?

Reply #477088 | Report this post

The Fog  
Years ago

Academy is well run and it an opportunity for kids to get better.

Reply #477089 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Good on Luke for providing some facts.He provides a service and if he people want to pay so be it.Theres very few basketball facilities in this country to that standard.

Reply #477096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same gutless fool trolls all the posts to put his worthless comments on.He does that because he can't get a coaching job at his old club and any other club he applied for this season,think it was 6 last count!

Reply #477100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if i make up a name like "$^@#$%^" that makes me better than an anonymous poster.??

Reply #477101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so if you all know who it is why doesn't someone name him or her ? Seems like 477100 knows exactly who it is. That would be the anonymous poster 477100.

Reply #477102 | Report this post

funnythin  
Years ago

I use the same name in all forums and have registered with my email address. So they know who I am. I don't hide by Anonymous.

Plus I don't quote things that are clearly not true or driven by hatred.

Reply #477105 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sure does, means those of us with a login can communicate more directly with you, and understand how you view things over a period of time, instead of just responding to a bunch of anon's who may or not be the same person.

Reply #477108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally do not put name as I still have kids in the system and we know how political basketball as all sports can be.

Reply #477111 | Report this post

funnythin  
Years ago

Ho, totally agree. Don't need to use your own name but you can then be identified by your tag name.

See Luke & Boguts announced today that one of the girls in their program made the Victorian State School 18 & under team?

Reply #477117 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pick an alias (or an alias per conversation if you're paranoid). That will enable people to refer to you in a discussion.

If you want warnings before posts are deleted or legal heads up, then linking an email address to your account helps. You can use a fake Gmail account if you want, as long as you either check it or forward it to somewhere you do check.

At least use an alias.

Reply #477122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of the day if people want to go to these academy's and pay that is their choice and their right, if people don't like them don't go, it's really that simple

Reply #477134 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:27 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754