Anonymous
Years ago

Classic Draw/Predictions

Classic draw is now out after the controvercial play in games, what are everyones thoughts?

Which club is most strongly represented?

Topic #34582 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No SA teams will win the U14 boys. The country athletes of the Central District team (who won state champs and SA's best chance) will be shown up against the Vic teams.

Reply #477163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the other SA teams like anaon?

Reply #477164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not post about your own teams chances rather than being negative towards another?

Is it because you're from another sa team and that's all you can do is be negative?

Reply #477169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be tough for SA teams against zone defense to as they don't allow it in their comp.

As long as they can compete and have a go that's the main thing. Not all about winning otherwise half the teams wouldn't bother.

Reply #477172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW teams dont play zone either, I dont think any NSW boys teams have too much of a chance either

Reply #477173 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Thinking Eastern Mavs along with Forestville will go alright in the 18 Girls from the SA side of things, Melbourne, D.Valley and Southern Pen will be hard to beat though.

Reply #477176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any coach worth their position will have already prepared for the zone. SA boys are ready. :)

Reply #477177 | Report this post

The Fog  
Years ago

Next year I have heard that Dandenong will start an international tournament on the classic weekend.

Reply #477179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

169, I think we all know who 163 is!

Reply #477200 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

What about knox in 14 boys?

Reply #477201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really? Who is #163?

Reply #477202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why prepare for the zone? If you're an u12 or u14 team from anywhere other than Victoria, you can't play it and you won't have to play against it at anything that matters. Maybe it means you finish 6th instead of 8th, but does anyone care about that distinction? Focus on being able to win your own competition, qualify for Nationals (which hasn't yet been decided for NSW teams), and don't worry if you get zoned out of a game or two at Classic. Most of the Vics looking towards Club Champs won't get too heavy on it in the half-court anyway.

Reply #477207 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

^On that point: are zones allowed in u14 Nationals?

Reply #477209 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Really, such a fear of zone 'D" out there. As a junior coach I didn't use a zone much at all, but I welcomed it against any team I coached.

I just love to carve up a zone because most junior teams actually can't run it properly anyhoo...

Change your mind set as a coach, be prepared and be positive, have a plan 'A' and a plan 'B' then just enjoy coaching the kids...

Win or lose, learn from the experience and if you are not one of the 5% of teams that go home with a piece of tin this time around, better luck next year!

Reply #477210 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

So back on track........ Who you all picking?

Reply #477214 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

201 - Knox are not in the U14 Boys.

Reply #477217 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sure Ashke -

18 Boys will be tight I reckon, maybe the winner will come from Dandenong or Blackburn, with Hills Hornets the dark horse if they can get over Waverley in the opening round.

Reply #477218 | Report this post

old coach  
Years ago

Zones are not allowed at U14 Nationals.

This year Victoria have come out of the world of laziness and banned zones in under 12's and hopefully it will continue on to the U14 comp in 2015.

Reply #477219 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Yeah I think i will go with Blackburn in the U18 Boys

Reply #477220 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

In the U14 boys I feel some love for a smokey, Warrnambool to make it to the final, maybe against Dandenong, not sure about sides outside Vic in this division, just have a bit of a hunch that the Seahawks are bringing a gun side this year...

Reply #477225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't say that, they're in our pool hahaha

Reply #477229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big call, Bear, taking those two ahead of two sides that have gone undefeated in VJBL so far. Boring though it may be, I find it hard to see that GF being anything other than Hawthorn/Melbourne.

Reply #477233 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bear - what about Melbourne in U18's - 9 of their 10 players have either represented their state or been an emergency for their state team (u16's, u18's or both). A team with that type of representation should smash eveybody else shouldn't they?

Reply #477236 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks anon and Anon, well, I give credit to Warrnambool 14 boys because they have smashed everyone in country Vic and some of their players I hear have some pedigree. They are too far away from Melbourne to play VJBL, so we will have to see how they compare.

I guess Hawthorn and Melbourne think they are already playing off for the gold, time will tell I suppose.

To the second Anon, yes I am well aware of the Melbourne Tigers group, their effortless shuffle offense and the State teams they have made, I just have a sneaky suspicion it is someone elses turn.

I may be wrong, it is only one person's opinion, looking forward to seeing the results and how the tournament pans out, however I don't think I will be there, so anyone who can post some reviews, that would be nice to read...

Reply #477237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about dandenong in 14's? Don't they have best player in that age group?

Also what about bulleen? Keilor? Nunawading? How strong are they?

Reply #477238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

238, Bulleen were Hawthorn's top challenger a couple of years ago, but their starting PG is now at Hawthorn. They are still very good, but there's no doubt it's had an impact.

The kid at Dandenong you're referring to is definitely the best scorer in the age group, but there are probably other players who have as much cumulative impact on the game. He is not, I would suggest, on par with the Illawarra guard who dropped 41 in the bronze medal game at Club Champs last year. That Dandenong group probably lack a bit of size, too. Handle their pressure and contain the scorer - both much easier said than done - and they can be got.

I haven't seen enough of Keilor and Nunawading to comment.

Bear, I like the dark-horse calls. I'd be surprised by either of them, but the Blackburn 18s have been together forever and are always competitive. I saw one of the Warrnambool guards at Southern Cross Challenge and he would hold his own with the very best in VJBL. We will have to wait until the weekend to see what's around him.

Reply #477240 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

What about a dark horse in the 16 Girls, Mildura. Cant see anyone beating Dandenong in this age group though.

Reply #477241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do people rate Sturt and Centrals chances in u16 boys?

Reply #477242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulleen favourites in u16 girls, not Dandenong.

Reply #477244 | Report this post

LarryLegend  
Years ago

Good call from Bear re Warnambool 14 boys. Will surprise a few and beat Geelong and Bendigo in Country Champs wo both played Championship in VJBL

Reply #477245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the kid from dandenong like?
Position? Style of play?

Reply #477246 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Yes Bulleen are the favourites in u16 Girls, just wont win it.

Reply #477247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who will Ashke? And why?

Reply #477249 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Read above mate, already stated who i think will win and who is my smokey.

Reply #477250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No why though which is the interesting part.

Reply #477251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those Melbourne kids may not play due to being a few weeks or so from selection camp for the 17s world team

DV kid is not playing either so Blackburn, Melbourne and DV could be kind of close.

Reply #477256 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting thoughts, I do recall the Hills Hornets in 2010 got the silver at u14 Nationals so if they kept that group they might be a strong opponent in the u18's now.

Anyone from NSW have a clue on this team and their chances for an upset win against their pool opponents Waverley?

Waverley rely on their speed and attack at the rim, having a few athletic Sudanese in their team, they are a handful...

If the Hills team has the size I imagine they might and they play it smart, I would like to know if they possess enough talent to pull off a surprise or three?

Reply #477259 | Report this post

hoppy93  
Years ago

Any SA teams around the mark in 18 Boys. Norwood won the State Championships, would they be a contender?

Reply #477260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So funny how you make these predictions and some of the kids you are rating arn't even playing!

Reply #477261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People need to remember there are more kids on the centrals u14 team apart from the country kids... Also a sapsassa kid and a SA metro kid. 7 out of their listed 10 players have played some sort of state representation this year. Centrals are the whole package.

Reply #477262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Northern Suburbs made the U18 Girls final last year with 9 bottom age players - have since added two players that have represented Australia at U17 level. Surely if they bring their full squad they would have to be in contention?

Reply #477263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hills would have no chance in U18 Men. Not a bad team but given they are currently 4th in NSW Metro League & beaten soundly on the weekend by Penrith I don't give them a chance. No real height and a few players that were amazing in U14s but haven't lived up to the hype. Also lost two solid players in Jay Green to Penrith and Arran Bannatyne to Newcastle.

Reply #477264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As for the centrals kids, stating they're country is irrelevant as all their development has come from centrals not country programs.

Reply #477272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given that the u14 Boys comp last year ended up with the 8 Victorian teams in the top 8, and the 8 interstate sides in the bottom 8, I think it's pretty obvious that being the best in SA doesn't automatically equate to a strong performance at Classic. Last year's Centrals group was good, too.

Reply #477283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals have been competitive. At nationals two years ago, beat tigers who finished second and last year beat hawks who finished third. So although won't win it have been able to be competitive.

Reply #477286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must be centrals quality coaching! Dumb and dumber?

Reply #477379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop embarrassing yourself by slagging off

Reply #477391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah it's ok must of been Phil Jackson that posted that!

Reply #477392 | Report this post

Years ago

Full credit to Centrals for the fact that they have been competitive. Anyone taking shots at what the program has achieved on the boys' side recently is clearly a bit mad.

My point was that anyone from Centrals suggesting that this group is 'the complete package' and headed for a strong performance in Melbourne, may be getting ahead of themselves. Especially in an u14 comp, the Vics are at an enormous advantage. Gold Coast, Penrith, Centrals and Canberra all out-performed their Classic result at Club Champs last year. This Centrals group won't make top 4.

Reply #477398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who has centrals will make top 4? No one, people are just slagging off.

Just let the boys play and hopefully they can be competitive. Not about winning.

Worry about your own team.

Reply #477401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once you stop woofing it up, I reckon people will stop slagging off/trolling you.

Reply #477404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C'mon, it's Centrals. Let them woof while they can.

It's great to see them struttin a bit. While they got a couple little things to celebrate, let them. This is little Johnny's moment and if his parents want to let the world know then all power to them.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

Reply #477408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the thing idiot, no one on here is saying centrals are the bees knees. It's pathetic people saying negative things about them

Reply #477464 | Report this post

still laughing  
Years ago

I'm just gonna put this out there and say there won't be one medal coming back into SA from this years classics.

Having watched a lot of the local state championships, I can't see any side form SA that would be good enough to beat the opposition they'll encounter.

My dark horse though is west Adelaide in the u18 boys!!!

Reply #477465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U16 girls teams should be competitive shouldn't they? The SA metro team just about comes from Sturt and Forestville only?

Reply #477480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still laughing...

Would put quite a bit of money on West Adelaide U18 boys finishing bottom 8, as they do every year.

There is no reason to think this will change this year.

They haven't won anything anywhere for a very long time and all the recruiting in the world won't change that.

But nice try.

Reply #477488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's good from NSW in the 14 men's?

Reply #477491 | Report this post

Go for it  
Years ago

Can't see anyone beating Bulleen in u/14 girls.

Reply #477505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Ashke, you were spot on

Reply #477797 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I see that Jack Perry didn't suit up for the U/14 boys Dandenong team???
Is he away on holidays or something else?
Melbourne looked good at times as did Hawthorn...

Reply #477832 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:22 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754