Anonymous
Years ago

Any Kings Rumours?

Any more rumours on the Sydney Kings front?

A couple of fairly popular rumours have actually proven to be on the money (Cotter & Cadee)

So far...

PG ? Cadee
SG Madgen White
SF ? ?
PF Garlepp Ellis
C ? ?

Still a roster light on talent and experience for mine. Cadee would be a solid back up point guard but not sold on him as a starter yet. Would much rather Cederic Jackson, Rotnei Clark, Gary Ervin, Jamar Wilson. (In that order)

Any Sam Young rumours?

Cotter is unknown at professional level which is a concern.

2 high quality imports and at least another high profile Aussie will give me some hope for the season ahead, otherwise I anticipate another 'keep your head above water' season.

Topic #34590 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, three more quality players make this a roster with real potential.

Reply #477276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AJ not returning?

Reply #477293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guard rotation of an Import, Cadee, Madgen, White with an athetic wing and a front court of AJ, Garlepp and Ellis is a pretty decent base to work from.

A few SEABL players might come under the micro scope like Nathan Sobey, Joel Narburgs, Tim Lang, etc...

Reply #477294 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Things MIGHT have changed with a new coach and who knows what sort of offers from OS, but with an Irish passport and talking to him after the season ended where he said he probably wouldn't be back (and with it initially only a one season deal to boost his profile for OS offers anyways) I really doubt that AJ will be back... Who knows what sort of relationship he has with Cotter though, we might be able to sneak another season out of him if he is guaranteed that he'll be utilised properly and actually DO boost his profile not like what the second half of last season would have done...

Getting AJ back WOULD solve a few problems though...

Reply #477300 | Report this post

Kracka_Bballin  
Years ago

Hasnt AJ already announced he would not be returning?

Reply #477334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allan Iverson

Reply #477606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard the commentators say during the sino challenge that the Kings are interested in Angus Brandt.

Reply #477662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone should be.

Reply #477670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll make a solid back-up initially, can rebound and defend.

Reply #477682 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Surprised that the Kings are allowing their number one player, Ben Madgen, permission to play in the pre-AFL game Celebrity match this weekend.
Only NBL players I recall being part of those games (Anstey and Heal come to mind) were retired.

Reply #480102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a write-off of a season I think anyway and the Kings could use any publicity right about now.

Reply #480113 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, they're really pushing the charity aspect of it... I had a similar thought to that considering how we missed out on him being at the top of his game for most of the first half of last season...

Hopefully they don't end up taking it too seriously/physical...

Reply #480115 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It's a write-off of a season I think anyway and the Kings could use any publicity right about now.

I agree about the publicity for sure, but there are some good things happening at the Kings this season, Cadee is back, Brandt is on board... Hopefully a full pre-season for Madgen (injury free *crosses fingers*) and Ellis (games under belt/conditioning) will step them up from last season...

It really comes down to the two imports, one hopefully being a marquee, and if we can get an upgrade with our back up SF then it's not all done and dusted before the season starts...

Reply #480116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No winners in the group. Just another team slapped together from season to season, cheap rookie coach and they expect us to buy into this Championship dream?? 4 years on and the Kings are still re-building.

Reply #480120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry where does the cheap rookie coach come from?
Extremely well credentialed sums it up.

Reply #480142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Extremely inexperienced at the professional level too. Probably why he has recruited so young, he's a kids coach imo.
Lets hope the imports are NBA level otherwise we will be watching a glorified ABA team.

Reply #480147 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think you could say that he's building for the future with some of these recruits. Shape them rather than rely heavily on vets only. Look at what Bevo set up from his West Sydney days with a championship-contending core.

Reply #480149 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think for the first time since they came back in the Kings have a core they can keep together for a number of years and build upon. That's a start.

Reply #480151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sold. No more excuses, time to produce!! Such an average looking roster so far though.

Reply #480156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well let's hope you actually go and support the team at a game rather than be a keyboard warrior.
Recruiting under Cotter tight now is fantastic.
Let's hope the Board members don't ruin another season.

Reply #480159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That roster is not really enticing me to spend my hard earned to be honest mate. Add to that parking, overpriced food and drink, overpriced merchandise and the overall Mickey Mouse set up that has become the Sydney Kings, I'll pass.

Reply #480161 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's certainly enticing you to comment repeatedly and negatively about the team.

Reply #480165 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Let's hope the Board members don't ruin another season.

This is the huge thing really, I think there's been plenty of issues behind the scene that really only came to the public light in 13/14 but have always been there... They need to improve the culture and management off court as that could help in retaining key players, if you take teams like Perth and NZ as examples of keeping local talent for longer when they probably could have gotten more money elsewhere...

Plus it's been difficult when a lot of our top players have disappeared... Imagine if we'd had a proper coach that developed talent (management decision) and managed to hold on to both Bose and Jules... That's three legit local starters along with Madgen, Cadee a legit PG back up behind an import PG and if Bose continued on his path, free up that hard to fill SF starting role to have an import PF to then strengthen the bench with Garlepp and Brandt this season... Adding a quality piece to the team each season instead of having to replace starter/all-star talent and weakening our bench each season would improve the team exponentially and we'd be in a much better place than we are now...

I'm not sure if that could have been fixed with better management or just throwing the right money at the right players (Khazzouh signed a big 6yr deal in Lebanon, so I doubt we could have competed with that, and Bose would have to be being paid a shitload to put up with all that cold, surely?)

Either way, I think we've got a decent core of Madgen, Cadee, Garlepp, (Ellis if he can improve his outside shooting consistency) and Brandt, all signed for at least two seasons... If this was a couple of season ago when we had All-NBL level quality guy in the middle, that's a very solid base to grow from... But it's not, we're at least two years behind where we SHOULD be, so looks like a bit of finger crossing this pre-season :)

Reply #480177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You live in Sydney princess most things are overpriced there.

Reply #480180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754