MACDUB
Years ago

Corletto released by Breakers

Could he end up in Sydney behind Madgen?

Would be a nice fit as him and Cadee have been torching opponents together playing in the NZNBL.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/10118781/Daryl-Corletto-released-by-NZ-Breakers

Topic #34592 | Report this topic

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

He seemed really off last season. Was he carrying an injury?

Reply #477304 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

He is either hitting the 3, hence valuble or a liability due to poor d and lack of an O outside of the 3.

Reply #477306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something more for him to whinge about. Time to retire...

Reply #477308 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Vickerman gave a forewarning to this not long ago. At the season review he said (for what they needed next season) "We want to make sure we have got enough athleticism and enough speed to play at a high tempo". He constantly identified the lack of speed at the guard spots as a major problem. Corletto was probably the main guy to blame for that.

I think the way the league uses the guard spots also affects him. Corletto is a traditional SG - not quick, pure shooter and high IQ.

The way the NBL was this year, many teams were essentially running Point Guards at both the 1 & 2:

-Martin & Beal
-Gibson & Ervin
-Wilson & McCamey
-Rhys Martin & R.Clarke
-Markovic & Norton?

That meant that Corletto was often defending point guards or guys that have the quickness of PGs but are playing the SG position. A very tough defensive assignment. Very similar to Crawford – both are guys who probably can't keep up defensively in the modern NBL.

Reply #477309 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've always thought that if you can shoot, you can last in the NBL, but maybe that applies less to guards in the situation you've described, MACDUB?

Corletto is six years younger than CJ Bruton who managed to hold on for a bit.

Breakers are in a position where they'll have to pay him out, so a team could potentially get him for minimum (with NZ footing the rest of the bill). Adelaide need a three point shooter, Wollongong always find a use for them. Sydney and Cairns probably have their non-import guards sorted already.

Reply #477313 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

He'll get another gig but he is a grumpy bugger ask anybody who has coached him.

Reply #477314 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I think he may return to Melbourne.
With Goulding looking like signing a decent dollar contract in Europe or US, they have money and points to play with. Corletto a nice pick up and he has the money saving connections in Melb that mean he can be a medium salary. Also strong Wortho/Anstey connections. The idea is plausible.

Reply #477315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corletto seemed to look like he should be a bad defender with his body type and he doesn't look very fast.

Unless he was against the likes of Ervin (quickest of the quick) his D didn't seem that bad. He pushed players to where he knew the help was coming from, could get through screens and play D within a system.

Reply #477317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The two PG thing has been around the NBL for a few years now, the difference this past season was how the game was called and, for Corletto, the fact his team's defensive system struggled after two years with an excellent defensive team.

He will stay in the league, probably for a while yet if multiple new teams come in. He has a smart player, excellent three-point shooter, has one of the league's best floaters and can handle against pressure.

He's an ideal pick up for a contender who needs a veteran piece off the bench.

Reply #477322 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Corletto's biggest D issue wasn't just lack of onball speed against the PG's/SG's.

It was due to the fact you can't hide him by defending 3 men as they abuse him in the post.

Also his off ball D is very poor often getting lost or loosing sight.

He is a useful shooter but very hot and cold...time could be up for him at NBL level as doesn't seem to fit a role on many teams unless his ego allows him to be a bench warmer....

Reply #477323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll be a bench player, as he has for the majority of his career. I reckon he has at least 3-4 years left in the league.

Reply #477326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corletto carried a sore knee and later on slight ligament tear in his ankle was carrying for at least 6 weeks . but he should be a handy pick up for someone of the bench .

Reply #477327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be a good fit in the gong if Clarke fails to return - but I'd hedge bets on Melbourne

Reply #477328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he should go play netball

Reply #477330 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Wollongong and Melbourne appear most likely suitors. Wollongong especially have the points available and he won't command a high salary which suits them.

Reply #477331 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Bit of shame, bought some experience and could be relied upon to knock down his free throws or nail the open 3 in transition.Him & his wife have been great with their clinics for the kids and will be missed.
Cheers for the loan Melbourne.

Reply #477332 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Guards who are slow, short, can't play D and have no wingspan fall off career cliffs very suddenly.

CJ Bruton is the exception, not the rule.

Reply #477333 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Would be a great fit in Cairns.

Reply #477341 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Oh wait, we've signed all our Aussie players

Reply #477342 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Boy, the Breakers really don't put much stock in contracts, do they... Henry, Trueman, now Corletto... Ah well, at least he would have been paid out, bit of freedom to sign elsewhere on the cheap and prove himself for the following season...

Reply #477344 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He is a useful shooter but very hot and cold...time could be up for him at NBL level as doesn't seem to fit a role on many teams unless his ego allows him to be a bench warmer....
He's come off the bench more than he hasn't so I think he'll take what he can get.

Once new teams come into the league, he easily get a contract you'd think.

I don't think he has anything lined up yet. News is probably still pretty fresh.

Reply #477349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance of him reuniting with Gleeson in Perth, or is his points rating too high?

Reply #477352 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

The points should be there if Jervis doesn't return but with Muo signed I don't see room for Corletto.

Reply #477353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Five-time champions with laser guided three-point shots rarely fall off cliffs.

Reply #477365 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Finally someone with some sense @anon 365

Could not agree more

Reply #477380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd hate to see him in Perth.
not sure he would fit the hardworking defensive minded team who love to push the ball.
hes a one trick pony. although a good trick at that.

I do wish he would get a proper hair cut tho.

Reply #477400 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"not sure he would fit the hardworking defensive minded team who love to push the ball."

Sounds like the Breakers in their last two championships to me.

Reply #477414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One would think the Gleeson/Corletto post was a joke or an attempt at humour.

Reply #477422 | Report this post

Big Ads of Perth  
Years ago

A win/win for Darryl and the Breakers however anyone think Crawf and Harvs will end up the biggest losers from this decision?

I understand both P.C. and Harvey are free agents too. They may have to take a major salary hit if they wish to continue playing next season. I can't see Corletto's entry into the player market helping their causes.

Darryl can provide great value to a team and see reasonable minutes (8- 15 my guess) for at least for one season anyway, unless he can tie up a multi year deal.

May be a case of musical chair for some of the league's shooting guard vets.

(12/20)

Reply #477424 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Big Ads is right Corletto should get another gig and I see PC or Harvey missing out. Only Melb or Wollongong have room imo.

Reply #477431 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree, Corletto will get another gig, he's too good not to. Best of luck to him.

Reply #477459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL is far better off without the sulky, selfish entitlement minded players like Corletto & Crawford.
Honestly, go and watch replays closely, you will see constant whinging to refs, poor shot selection, bad body language.
Both guys can shoot on their night but critically examine their game & you wouldn't sign them if you a head coach.

Reply #477622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nup, you wouldn't sign the guy who started on the best team two years running.

Reply #477632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah had an off season last year carried a couple of injuries which didn't help but year before was nearly MVP for grand final just ask Andrew Gaze if you have a chance so I would Give him a go

Reply #477657 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers may have a signing up their sleeve?
If they snagged say a Rob Loe or Isaac Fotu they may decide to go with an Import PG & SG.
Corey Webster may even get the nod to start at SG.

Reply #477707 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think they're banking on getting at least one of those young guys (Loe, Fotu, T Webster), starting C Webster at SG. They've probably got to wait and see what happens with Te Rangi before they sign their imports though.

Reply #477750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't fortunate in college??

Reply #477753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fotu , auto spell!!!!!

Reply #477754 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, and doing pretty well. I think it will be a tough sell to get him back before graduating.

Reply #477757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible defender now that the rules don't allow him to scrag his opponent on every play (hence the petulant whinging in the media this season) but one of the all time great three point bombers. If Perth didn't have Muo signed he could have been a perfect impact player coming off screens for 3.

Reply #477875 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754