Anonymous
Years ago

Big V mending relationships with coaches and refs

Email from Big V

Hi all,

We recently ran a trial session out at Western Port for Coaches on the peninsula to come and have the opportunity to ask questions on the refereeing points of emphasis and any other rule clarifications they may have. The session was conducted by an experienced Referee Coach and there was some positive discussions that came out of this on the night.

We are now running two more sessions for Head Coaches to be able to come along and ask any questions on the points of emphasis or other rule clarifications they may have. This is not a chance to sit there questioning specific calls from specific games but more a chance to get some clarification on different rules and interpretations.

Please see below for the details on the two sessions. We will be limiting the numbers for the sessions and will run more sessions if there is a sufficient demand.

Session 1
State Basketball Centre- (Basketball Victoria Board Room)
Thursday 12th of June
6:30pm

Session 2
Broadmeadows Basketball Stadium
Wednesday 18th of June
6:30pm

If you have a Head Coach or Head Coaches that are interested in attending please RVSP to me via email by no later than Tuesday 10th of June 12pm.

Topic #34595 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally see this as crap and the 2 main problems are simple in my opinion.

1. Basketball Victoria who provide the refs for this competition have long sat on their hands in regards to developing and recruiting refs and now complaining that there is not enough refs to go around to service VJBL, BIG V, SEABL etc.

2. Big V Management continue to damage the competition by allowing new teams in year in year out therefore increasing the demands on the already low number of available refs.

There is no colaboration between these 2 parties so the current Big V strategy will never work.

When will clubs start asking for a reduction in their yearly fees they pay on the ground the league are unable to provide an adequate service?

I know personally my club have had a referee officiate 2 games in the one night on 6 occasions so far this season. It is unacceptable.

Reply #477389 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

No point expanding the competition if you haven't got the refs to fill the positions.Alot of refs are doing back to back games.Bloody hardwork!!!

Reply #477390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe if a few people including coaches, assistant coaches and fruit loop parents were a little better behaved in the first place we may have a greater pool of referees, all be it at lower levels, that could develop over a longer period and become better referees and thereby increasing the standard across all leagues and competitions.

Unfortunately many referees quit refereeing due to the high level of abuse. The solution is at the grassroots level not the elite level. Behaviours towards referees must improve at the grassroots level.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a player who's ever shot hundred percent throughout every game, why do we expect referees to get it hundred percent right.

A bad call is a part of the game the player needs to learn to adjust so does the coach.

Reply #477393 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, ^anon has some points in there among the colourful descriptive tones that I believe the VBRA are aware of and possibly trying to change. Maybe it is time to get serious about where they want to go and how they can go about doing what they obviously are out to achieve.

To change the culture and therefore the behaviour of people involved in basketball (everyone, including parents) is not easily done, certainly not an overnight job.

It will take some real direction and leadership with cooperation of all Associations.

It will also take a more proactive and hands on approach at that grass roots level we all go on about.

Associations need to be supported and shown the way by the powers to be, to foster a better understanding of what is acceptable and how poor behaviour affects young officials.

We do clinics for juniour basketball all the time, where new parents get involved at grass roots level, why not run a parents clinic adjacent to this to cover things such as cultural change, behaviour, social media and the impacts on young people today?

There are things we can do, but rarely do we see evidence of a think tank on this and great ideas or common sense acted upon...

Reply #477395 | Report this post

SeaHawk  
Years ago

Dont say anything about Big V or a fine will come your way, just ask a couple of clubs already.

Reply #477403 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Bear you hit the nail on the head. All junior football clubs have a code of conduct which parents have to sign. If you dont wish to abide by the rules your asked to leave the club.Executives enforce the code of conduct and an independant tribunal also reinforces a strong culture. Most leagues also run campaigns around player and spectator behaviour which highlights the cause.Umpiring is surging again in numbers due to the improved image of the leagues and the amount of money on offer. Top local leagues pay $185 a game for field umpires. Do an under 18's game and you earn another $95.Nice little earner for a few hours work.

Reply #477405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#477393 and others are spot on.

The issues are prolific at the grass roots level.
No good bitching about standard or lack of referee's when they get hounded, abused and miss treated at junior and lower levels.

They quit because they can go work at macca's or coles for similar money and get treated with respect.

People need to get over the notion the refs have to get it right all the time, its fanciful.
I saw a parent try to lodge a complaint 10 mins into a u12 d grade game that had green shirts on it, WTF?? Just shut your mouth and go watch you kid and cheer for them.

EVERY Association needs to take a far greater more proactive role at publishing and enforcing their behavioral code of conduct and show a zero tolerance to dickheads.

Hopefully then the trouble makes get weeded out of the system before they get to VJBL or BigV level.

The problem is there are already too many at those levels.

Reply #477411 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"All junior football clubs have a code of conduct which parents have to sign."

They do, but enforcement varies greatly from club to club and league to league and from what I've seen footy has much bigger issues with parents than basketball.

Reply #477416 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I would agree with you Paul in previous years but the changes we have put in place in our leagues have made a significant difference. Of our 3 junior leagues: one has had no tribunal hearings, another has had one hearing and the other has had two plus an investigation. Not bad going for nearly half way through the season.

Reply #477418 | Report this post

BOB911  
Years ago

Boys the biggest problem with the referees system with in the Big V is that there is no planning, it's all wing and a prey stuff because that's they way we have always done it. There's an old saying; You Don't Plan to Fail, but We Fail to Plan.

And in this case there is NO Plan,

Reply #477428 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's good progress Happy Days, but assaults on umpires and fights between umpires still occur around various junior leagues, something I haven't heard much of in junior basketball.

Reply #477433 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That was meant to be "fights between parents".

Reply #477434 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Interesting BOB911 - Have you been on the inside with BigV or BV seeing them try and plan out the refereeing rosters? Saying that there is NO plan is a bit hard to believe.

Reply #477436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BOB

I dont disagree with what your saying but a lot of the planning comes down to resources. Whether you like AG or not he has minimal resources and in addition to that the resources he has on average are poor.

Too many games to cover and not enough referees is the biggest issue. The amount of games that has to be covered is ridiculous to say the least. As stated somewhere above too many referees are doubling up. In an ideal world that just wouldnt happen but it also happens at the SEABL level.

Then the quality of referee coaches just isnt there. Very hard to teach and educate officials if the people doing the teaching are fully equipped to deliver the same message across the board.

Until the administrators across the board actually spend real $$ on improving referee education, referee retention etc it will never improve.

Currently it's band aid after band aid. Until some resources are thrown at referees the quality will not improve. Simple things like getting a copy of the game DVD are impossible. How can referees self evaluate without vision of their games??

But a league that continues to expand competition wise needs to also look at how it supports the referees that service the league and at this point in time that doesnt occur.

Reply #477437 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Your right Paul, not all leagues have cleaned up as i know there having alot of problems in Tassie and the Sunraysia leagues this year.

Reply #477439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referee coaching at the upper BigV/SEABL level is awful.
You have people with a poor understanding and read of the game and little (or no) elite experience as an official directing those with far more experience than they have.

Until the elite retired officials are retained in these coaching and mentoring roles they will continue to get conflicting and mixed messages given to these officials.

Reply #477440 | Report this post

BOB911  
Years ago

Yes Chook, i have been exposed to both and yes there is no plan. Yes they except more teams, and they have less referees. Why because there is no plan. There is no plan to how they will develop referees, there is no plan as to where they want Big V in 3 years, or 5 years. If they had this then they would be able to address these issues and start to put the planning infrastructure around it to make it happen. Unfortunately the sports industry in this country has to many ex-players, volunteers trying to run our professional and semi professional leagues where we expect more. People from the corporate environment are slowly starting to pilfer in but we are still a long way away, to that of other sporting countries.

Reply #477444 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Good to see your spelling is top notch BOB911. So you must have been a referee or league employee in the past? You sound like a quiet disgruntled one at that. Poor BOB

Reply #477524 | Report this post

Eddie McGuire  
Years ago

BOB911, I accept that there are exceptions to what you are trying to explain, but you make no sense, except to maybe yourself and will have to accept that!

Reply #477526 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Bob and others, whose responsibility is it to develop the referees? is it the BigV's? Or does it sit with the referees body?

Reply #477530 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Eddie, I think you may have just blown BOB911's mind

Reply #477532 | Report this post

BOB911  
Years ago

Chook, clearly your part of the problem and have never has a real job, in business. The reason why corporations succeed, and sport (basketball) is because they plan, in simple terms it's called strategic planning. Our sporting organisation still don't know how to do this as they don't have the skilled employees, hence they go off and increase the numbers in their competition without the thought of the follow on effects. i'd love to provide you with the analysis to support this but my spelling isn't up to it. I didn't know i was being graded by academic genuineness Chook?

Reply #477536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bob: The point of difference to your rant is the Big V run the competition.... The VBRA and to an extent the ERC provide the referees to service that league....

The 2 are quite separate organisations. The Big V should help the referees as much as possible, game vision etc but the resources come from Alan Garraway and the VBRA/ERC.

It is clear though that the Big V dont consult with the VBRA regarding their ability to service an ever expanding league. And that is one of the biggest problems.

Reply #477537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BigV have no control over the officials the VBRA control all directives and training.

They simply provide a service to the BigV (and SEABL) and AG rosters them on behalf of BigV.

Reply #477547 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:34 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754