Isaac
Years ago

Peter Crawford to leave Crocs?

Talking Townsville, free agent and 2012 London Olympian Peter Crawford, a selection in the club's 20 year all-time great team, is heading to the south of Australia, if I have deciphered some cryptic clues correctly.

(Pretty sure you can decipher mine.)
From Boti's site today.

Topic #34618 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

south of Australia could be really anywhere compared to Townsville....

I have a feeling maybe Melbourne?

I wonder how he'd fit in Adelaide. I'd also REALLY like Carter to return. PLEASE SIXERS!

C Import/Schenscher
F Petrie/Anthony
F Teys/Creek
G Gibson/Crawford
G Import/Carter?

Reply #477828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he comes to the sixers i hope we pay the right coin for him. lots of chat on hear last season that the crocs over paid him.

Reply #477833 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Everyone excludes DJ from the lineup..........is he definitely gone? I thought it was just for gage off season and he hadn't been offered anything for Europe yet?

Reply #477839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we need a import big to replace Johnson ie Wilkinson, with the 2nd import spot ive been thinking we should move Gibson back to the PG spot full time and get a 6'6 athletic versatile swingman, who can shoot the ball from 3 at a decent clip, handle the ball a little, play decent defense, i guess a guy of the same style as James Ennis was last year.

If you went for that you could go for a line up like

Import (Wilkinson)/Schenscher
Petrie/Anthony
Import/Creek
Teys/Crawford (if Crawford doesnt come offer this spot to someone like Dan Dillon or Tom Daly)
Gibson/Carter

To me that looks better, Teys at sf leaves us a little small and not athletic enough against some teams imo. A guy like DJ Kennedy who has played D-League/France would be a perfect fit for the import spot imo.

A large part of me wouldnt mind taking our chances on Schenscher at starting C and getting 2 import swingman, either one more of the D.Thomas/Tucker mould one of the Willie Farley/Ebi Ere mould or 2 guys in the D.Thomas/Tucker mould like the Dragons did with Donta Smith and Darden, both atleast 6'5, ideally one will be close to 6'8. Go fast and atheltic. Spend Ervin and DJ's money on these 2 spots, so should be able to get 2 good imports.

Go with a line up of

C Schenscher/Anthony
PF Petrie/Creek
SF Import/Crawford
SG Import/Teys
PG Gibson/Carter

You could mix and match a whole range of line ups as most of those guys could play atleast 2 positions, would leave us a bit small if Schenscher went down for an extended period, but id take my chances and play him around 20-25 mins a game and run a smaller C like Petrie or Anthony for the rest and play guys like Creek at PF at times. To me it would be a bit like the 2009 Dragons, from memory Burston was there main C, Horvath didnt play much and Wortho was backing up C alot, so im doing similar with Petrie and Schenscher. With the lack of dominant C's around the league i reckon we can take our chances with that line up if Johnson leaves.

If Johnson sticks around obviously the import budget would be less, but id still go for 2 import swingmen, get a cheaper 2nd import out of SEABL/NZ if need be instead of Crawford or Carter.

Reply #477840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On topic, Crawford helps us with our 3pt shooting so at the right price and given the right role would be a nice pick up imo.

Reply #477841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If dj leaves I think the sixers need to get a 2nd top notch local player

Reply #477842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty sure PC was not in the crocs game plan moving forward - seems he fell sour of coach Dennis rotations a few times last season and was not as effective as previous years.
a rumor is that Clint Stiendl might be his replacement at the crocs - pretty good move if they can pull that one off !!
you would also have to think that Jervis would be out of reach for the Crocs

Reply #477847 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Alot will depend on DJ returning because if he doesn't they will need to go after a Wilkinson type. Schenscher is better off the bench. I see Melb or Hawks as a better fit for PC

Reply #477851 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The opposite is true, anon. Crawford was on mega bucks last season and Steindl will come a lot cheaper. They will have the money to spend on players higher than Jervis if PC leaves

Reply #477852 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

of a higher calibre than Jervis*

Reply #477853 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It would be big news if PC left the Crocs. 460 game veteran?

After a great career, I would argue he is in the winter of his career. (anyone disagree?) What he offers a team is that wise head off the bench, probably ideal for a young team, or a team struggling.

I must admit I am struggling at the moment to see how he could fit into the Sixers rotations apart from offering that clutch 3 off the bench. Its hard to see Joey not go with a younger player for that as the Sixers have some good leadership with Peach and Schensch.

I could be wrong, but Hawks might be a better fit for him.

Reply #477862 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

As a Crocs fan I don't mind him leaving.

His ballhandling is really a massive liability so you have to play him with two other ballhandlers or you get exposed; it restricts what you can do in terms of lineup/rotational flexibility.

Smart teams like Perth used to really expose that to the point where you couldn't have on the floor at all and expect to have a chance.

Reply #477866 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

6.9 PPG at 36% from the field and 31% from three.

Reply #477871 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Have loved having pc as a Croc, but if he is out shopping for one last decent contract you can see why Dennis would be happy to let him go.

He should still have a couple of years in him as a quality spot up shooter, he just wouldn't be keen on a major downgrade in pay to stay at the Crocs I would imagine.

Steindl on the other hand is a perfect fit at the Crocs imo, long athletic shooter who can get up and down the floor. A bit like PC 10 years ago really. Will add that versatility and size the Crocs need.

Reply #477872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would he be a good fit for Sydney...some experience around the place?

Maybe even Melb Utd? There were more than a few occasions last season when Anstey shown he had no control of the attitudes of his players and maybe a vet like PC could help him there

Reply #477878 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Crawford missed a chunk of the start of the season due to rehabilitation from injury/surgery. The last couple of season prior to that he was doing pretty well for himself on the stat sheet. If he puts in some hard work during the off season he could be a valuable asset to which ever team picks him up.

Reply #477881 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

That's the problem with the guys in their twilight - injury, or sometimes the risk of vampires...

He would be a handy pickup for a team looking for a steady head. The Crosswell situation was a good example of what could go wrong if you put too much reliance on a more experienced campaigner.

Reply #477885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson / Daly or Adnam
Gibson / Teys
Crawford / Creek
Petrie / Anthony
Import / Schenscher

Reply #477889 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Whoever he plays for, I think he needs to play primarily as a 3 as his ball handling skills are a massive issue and leave his team hampered but if he moved to say Adelaide then you should have enough ball handlers to combat this.

If he goes to Melbourne then a back court of Dennis, Tomlinson, 2nd import like Lisch and perhaps Crawford + Walker, Wortho and Jervis and you have a super talented, salary cap destroying nightmare for opposition!

Reply #477932 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The other issue with him is you dont get any leadership. You will normally make that trade off of declining skills for veteran leadership and a good locker room presence but PC doesnt bring those intangibles to the table: his attitude isnt great.

PC wasnt on huge money last year (at least not all year) because the Crocs renegotiated his contract down to a pittance of what it was. And by renegotiated I mean "told him he could take the lower salary or take a walk". PC couldnt go to the media about it because it would have made him look like an asshole trying to get his money from a struggling community club. Not very classy from Reidy...

Reply #477956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick.. I have it on good authority that PC maintained his original, agreed to salary last year, as he should have too. The Crocs couldn't legally do the dirty but yes I agree with you on one thing...not a classy attempt from Reidy.

Reply #477983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs have over paid PC for last few seasons.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/13581424/crawford-schenscher-part-with-crocs/

Reply #477989 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I can certainly see why you'd be bitter about that sort of situation re: "renegotiation" but I have to agree with Mick, his attitude has put me off being able to like him most of all in games and I would be really disappoitned if the Kings wasted any money on him (with Madgen still capable of even more, I would hope they'd steer away from PC) as especially after Sav retired, PC was the biggest whinger and complainer in the league... Always sooking about not getting calls or having calls made against him, really painful to watch as a fan of the game...

Reply #477991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He might be different in another environment under a different coach? DJ was thought of as a big whinger pre Joey at the helm.

Reply #478012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many people praise Crawford's shooting ability. On his night this is true.
What I'm concerned about for 36ers is he can't guard a chair.

Reply #478079 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Can't guard a chair? Not even a rickety one with a wobbly leg?

Reply #478080 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Kings it is then... they have Madgen to handle the chairs.

Reply #478081 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gold! PC is a great fit off the bench for Adelaide, someonewhoccan spread the D in bursts and will have extra motivation being at a contender late in his career.

Reply #478086 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754