Isaac
Years ago

Derek Fisher to be Knicks head coach

The Knicks are signing Derek Fisher as coach on a 5-year, $25m deal. He made $4.7m over the last 3 years as a player.

Fisher, 39, earlier this month spoke about his desire to coach in the NBA.

"In the last maybe decade or so, I've really felt like my purpose in life, my calling so to speak, was to be in a leadership position or some position of impact on other people," Fisher said after the Thunder were eliminated from the playoffs. "Coaching allows for you to positively impact other people's lives."

Jackson noted recently that Fisher's on-court leadership could translate well to the bench. He called Fisher "a person that's on my list of guys that could be very good candidates for this job" and was fined $25,000 for those comments.
ESPN report

Topic #34622 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Don't really think it's a risk hiring a freshly retired player given the Knicks will not be able to contend for at least a season, compared to the Nets/Kidd situation where you had a roster that was built to go all-in for the title.

This franchise is going to be in a sorry state for a while given their lack of picks and cap situation.

Reply #477963 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Give him a couple of solids assistants with long term league exp and he'll be ok...he can grow into te role with little pressure to win in his first season

Reply #477969 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Meanwhile, the Cavs are interviewing Mark Price as a potential coach. The articles about it aren't mentioning his record in the NBL:

Price has an extensive and varied coaching career, ranging from high school to Australia to the NBA, where he has been a shooting coach in Memphis and Atlanta and an assistant coach in Orlando and Golden State before joining Charlotte this season.

Reply #477997 | Report this post

Onlooker  
Years ago

Good Lord, just when things couldn't get any worse for Cavs fans...

Reply #478005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if Heal will give Price a reference!

If I was a Knicks fan I would prefer Jackson coming in and coaching for a couple of years with Fisher to take over. I hope it goes well but I cannot see it working out.

Reply #478023 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Why pay so much coin?

Surely getting a franchise like NY is a great start - however it like Kerr is way over the odds cash wise.

Reply #478053 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Its a bit of a joke.

Coaches like George Karl, Hollins, Gentry don't have coaching gigs. They are proven at this level.

Fisher caused controversy for being THAT guy who always wanted to play for a contender - nothing wrong with this usually - but the way he left Utah to go to LA (granted his daughter wasn't well) but then he did exactly the same with Dallas leaving them to go play for the Thunder later in the season.

Will be interesting to see how he goes being in a losing environment (i don't expect NY to do any better this year than last). Will also be interesting for Phil.

Some guys can handle it. Im not sure Derek can handle the pressure of the NY media.

Reply #478055 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah they are proven at this level but they aren't proven at a championship level.

I don't see Gentry, Hollins or Karl leading a team to a title, and that's what Jackson is going for here.

Reply #478060 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"I will have Derek Fisher wear all 5 of his rings the first time he comes in to talk to Carmelo."
Phil Jackson

Reply #478095 | Report this post

Duffman  
Years ago

Ha Ha

Derek Fisher will eat the NY "media" for breakfast.

Reply #478102 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754