Nathan of Perth
Years ago

Wildcats re-sign Tom Jervis

... the Wildcats! O frabjous day!

Perth Wildcats re-sign Tom Jervis

The Perth Wildcats have re-signed West Australian big man and 2014 NBL Rookie of the Year, Tom Jervis.

The new deal will see the 27-year-old remain at the Wildcats for at least two more seasons with a third-year player option, which if taken will see him representing Perth through to the 2016/17 NBL season.

Jervis was first signed by the Wildcats 10 months ago and has since gone from strength-to-strength as a player, regularly taking a position in the 'Cats starting five and recently representing the Australian Boomers in the Sino-Australia Challenge against Team China.

The 211cm centre is thrilled to be a part of the Wildcats title defence.

"I'm really relieved that the process has come to an end and that I’ll be remaining a part of this great club," he said.

“I’m very thankful for the opportunity they (the club) gave to me last year and now I want to repay them by taking my game to the next level.”

Jervis joins Damian Martin and Jesse Wagstaff as players to re-sign with the club during the off-season and coach Trevor Gleeson said it’s a real bonus to have his core group locked in for next season.

“Our group of players was obviously very successful last season so it’s fantastic to have them back, and hopefully we can add a few more pieces to the puzzle to give a Championship another shake,” said Gleeson.

“I’m really happy and confident with Tom signing, he attracted a lot of interest from other clubs, it shows you what kind of an organisation it is, that he wants to stay here in Perth to play and improve his game.”

In his outstanding first year of NBL basketball, Jervis averaged 5.1 points, 4.8 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game and became a Championship player.

He also swatted away 39 shots, the third most of any player in the 2013/14 NBL season.

Despite heading into just his second season, Jervis is ranked at seven in the NBL’s player points system, but Wildcats managing director Nick Marvin said he’s pleased to have another great role model sign on the dotted line.

“Keeping Tom Jervis at the Wildcats was one of our highest priorities during the current off-season, and I’m very happy to see him staying here in Perth,” said Mr Marvin.

“He had an outstanding year, becoming a Championship player in his first season, and being a West Australian boy, his work off the court resonates well with the community.”

The Perth Wildcats will now look to secure the final three positions on their 2014/15 playing roster.

Click HERE to become a 2014/15 Perth Wildcats member!

Topic #34625 | Report this topic

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Excellent news!

Reply #478018 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

That's awesome. I honestly thought he would be going elsewhere

Reply #478020 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Aw, come on, my second line makes no sense now that they've changed the title.

Reply #478021 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Looks like the Tigers didnt offer enough coin.Great get by Wildcats.

Reply #478022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah it just looks like Perth have good third party deals

Reply #478024 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I certainly hope this thread will become the one-stop shop for all Perth Wildcats salary cap conspiracy theories.

Reply #478025 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Third party deals like not having to pay for relocating across the country and living close to your family and playing for the best run organisation in the NBL?

Reply #478027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get the auditors out...........

Reply #478028 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

And knowing you'll get to be starting five for whichever half the of year Matty Knight is out.

Reply #478029 | Report this post

matt  
Years ago

Great to re-sign Jervis it looks like the players are taking less money to stay together.Why wouldn't Jervis want to stay home and play in front of 10,000 plus people.

Reply #478031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually like the lineup of Jervis, Knight and either Redhage or Wagstaff at the 3 in spurts. That is a big lineup with 3 guys who can hit the mid range with ease or take it inside as well. I honestly thought he would leave, but you have to remember, he also has a well paying job off the court in WA and the Mines Other team/states cant offer that

Reply #478039 | Report this post

Rashad  
Years ago

Really thought that Jervis & Wagstaff were going to leave, as we all know they could get more court time/money at another team. The club and the city of Perth must mean alot more to them than money. So being a Perth fan im wrapped with this news as well! Just need to put pen to paper for Beal now... or even Lisch :p

Reply #478045 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Sucked in Victorian Hybernian Thistle

Reply #478051 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

He was the Wildcat's player to lose, not Melbourne's to gain.

Good to see him stay at the club, even if it is the Wildcats....

Reply #478067 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Fantastic news for us. I thought Melbourne were going to get him. Great insurance for Matty Knight if he gets injured.

Reply #478069 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

More than insurance - he'll come into his own me thinks

Reply #478070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a mere formality that he was going to sign with the Tigers prior to them changing their team name. Apparently with the public outcry he's the third free agent that has had a change of mind in signing with Melbourne 'not so' United.

Congratulations Tom on staying true to your Wildcats and having a conscious.

Reply #478071 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Aw, come on, my second line makes no sense now that they've changed the title.
Pet peeve of mine - thread titles that don't tell people what they're in for. Sorry.

Might be that the Tigers offer pushed the Cats to bolster theirs. Obviously they can handle that and still fit an import in with the marquee rule.

Cats gave him the chance in the first place, so not unhappy that they continue what they started.

Reply #478072 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

This is a fantastic result for a fantastic club.

Tom knows he will get the minutes as Knight cannot play 30 mins a game.

I hope that is not true about the Melbourne United.

The league needs them to be at least competitive.

Reply #478073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how do wildcats keep retaining everyone after a championship title usually that means players go to greener pastures hmmm

Reply #478077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ struggled to keep their Championship team together year after year...I guess that's why people are questioning it?

Reply #478082 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't think Jervis will be on the $ that everybody thinks.

Reply #478083 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

No doubt he would have got more money elsewhere but he is from WA and will be on more than last season when he would have played for around league minimum.

Reply #478088 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The marquee rule and loyalty discounts no doubt help a lot this year. Joey Wright's comments in this article might also tell a bit of a tale:

http://botinagy.com/blog/what-happens-in-vegas-may-help-nbl/

Reply #478089 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Because all the greener pastures have some nasty dried out bits...

Reply #478090 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Indeed!

Reply #478091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's amazing how many people think its all about money. I dont know what his the other offers were but you would think you wouldn't bother moving for another 20 or 30k more. After tax he really isnt much better off. Another championship is much more enticing amongst other things the Perth team has to offer.

Reply #478105 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Home is where the heart is, and the lure of playing in front of 11-12,000 each week and for a club that is secure, a title contender and prominent in their city shouldn't be underestimated.

Reply #478106 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Didn't that Cats help him out with a job outside of bball and assisted in him continuing studies or something along those lines? Not sure the full details but rings a bell. As others have mentioned you probbaly wouldn't leave just for and extra 20-30k before tax.

Reply #478122 | Report this post

Deimos 54  
Years ago

They must have known for weeks as just got a letter saying thanks for renewing, I have also resigned with Tom on the front!!

Reply #478126 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

That's impressive; one of the things the Wildcats tend to do very well is not leak, which is pretty difficult for a sports organisation.

Reply #478132 | Report this post

Deimos 54  
Years ago

Yes Nathan, I was impressed. Who else do they know about Beal, U'u, Burdon?

Reply #478134 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Wildcats so far

Damo/ ??
Import(Beal)/ Muo
Import (marquee?)/Hire
Wagstaff/Redhage either could start
Knight/Jervis

U'u not coming back imo. only 2pts remaining so if Burdon not signed will go after a rookie.

Reply #478154 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I can already seeing the PG spot being the real danger area. Anything happens to Damo and you may as well junk the rest of the season.

Reply #478162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just thought I would share this.

I kid you not, I have some weird bug with my MS Outlook, it keeps giving pop-up "Alerts" for emails I received 4 years ago.

So this just popped up "Wildcats Sign Tom Jervis"
and I nearly shat myself.

Reply #630674 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:57 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754