Isaac
Years ago

Townsville move to a 2,200 seat stadium

They were getting screwed at the previous venue so this helps them from the business side. Presumably the smaller venue also means their tickets are in demand and they can maintain reasonable pricing.

From Twitter:

TONIGHT: @TsvCrocs leave their spiritual @NBL home for a venue that holds just over 2,200 fans. Club & community reaction, @7NewsTsv at 6pm.

Topic #34647 | Report this topic

ziah  
Years ago

Crocs averaged nearly 1000 to each game above capacity of this stadium. If they get the stadium for free like Fire do, then can only be a good thing in the end... except the stadium itself is a little shite.

Reply #478366 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

geez it's a pretty crappy place for an NBL club

Reply #478374 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Hopefully they can fill the stadium every week. Will they have to cap membership numbers?

Also, by looking at pictures from Fire games it looks like a very large area is dedicated to corporate tables. If Crocs don't sell all of these (which they probably won't) they should add in extra spectator seats.

Reply #478376 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

should create a good atmosphere if they can get sold out games

Reply #478377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Id love to see the Crocs sell the license, crappy part of Aus for a sports team. Not much to do but not swim in the croc infested water and drink up their. If they cant pack it out due to boredom alone then god help them!

Reply #478378 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Lots of season ticket holders wont renew if it means games are at RSL stadiu, but I think they had no choice. The TECC was screwing them royally and they couldn't get any government help like Cairns did. You would want to hope tickets are dirt cheap now RSL is their home but I doubt it.

The problem with RSL stadium is just that it is multi-purpose facility that really isn't designed for pro ball.

Reply #478379 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Will members be that bothered that they moved stadiums???

Reply #478389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it means they survive good on them. They should have done it ages ago.

Reply #478394 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I would say most definitely. I know a few people who have had seasons tickets since the first Crocs season over 20 years ago who -- right or wrong -- wont be renewing their season tickets after this stadium move.

Reply #478395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not true supporters then Mick.

Reply #478400 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not passing any judgment on them, just saying that there are people who are most definitely true supporters who won't re-up: i would say holding season tickets for 20+ seasons is the very definition of a true supporter. Some people just don't like change, or they like going to events in the city if they live on that side of town, or don't like RSL stadium, or any other number of reasons.

Reply #478403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I understand the only reason they are moving is because of the finances. If 20+ year members are dropping off because they don't like the stadium and cannot handle change what hope has the club got. May as well just hand back the license noe and the league moves on.

Reply #478405 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Sometimes you need to walk away - perhaps TECC can strike a deal with the other Townsville NBL Team

Reply #478411 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think the plan is to regroup at RSL and lick their wounds.

TECC will then be out of the driver's seat once they lose their ONLY regular tenant and the tables will turn when it comes time to renegotiate.

Could work out well for the Crocs.

Personally i really don't like the atmosphere at RSL stadium compared to other smaller venues (like the Cage in Melb which is tiny but has a great feel), but maybe the Crocs can do some customising and really make it feel like home...

No seats under the basket is a HUGE minus for me...that's where your most rowdy fans generally like to sit.

Reply #478415 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Had to be done from the looks of things. It was bad enough TECC was being extortionate, but they were apparently also waiting until Townsville had locked in before they reneged on promises. Could no longer be dealt with.

Reply #478431 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I like this decision. Will save Townsville some $$$ as they continue to rebuild. While they are not a title contender yet, they may as well get their finances in order now so they can eventually move back to the TEC when they can negotiate a better deal, and have a better team on the floor. It beats the alternative of eventually folding.

TEC losing their main tenant will hurt them and may counter offer the following year with a better deal to help the Crocs a bit. This shows that the Crocs have the balls to stick it to the TEC and their prices.

Good move by the Crocs. Will also create tickets in demand. Yes 800 or so fans will miss out, but now tickets are at a premium, it will boost their demand and make them a hot ticket item.

Reply #478432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had to move because the owner of the TECC - also owner of Jupiters Townsville - has settled with a buyer... there are some delays with the contract being completed and hence the Crocs cannot negotiate nor lock in contracts. i.e. they can't sign a contract with someone who doesn't own the TECC and can't sign a contract with owners who are on the way out.

That is problem 1

Problem 2 is the pay $24000 in rent alone per game! not a joke... they get $0 from food & bev plus have to pay for security and additional extras like AV support. On top of that, the carparks are being continually reduced by the owners AND services are being drawn back like box office open times, use of the court on any other day than game day was taken away and food options are now just a BBQ.

Problem 3 is that the venue is now 23 years old and the place is falling apart! air-conditioning has caught fire a few times in recent years, speakers are broken and ratting, the big screen is rubbish, tiles in the forecourt are cracked and broken, lighting is average etc

now onto Townsville RSL stadium...

I'm assuming they are getting it rent free, big bonus - has great car parking areas and is new.

It only holds 2000 (WPH&S audit will not allow more) and corporate facilities are very poor. Not cold stores, not catering facilities, no boxes just tables and not very professional looking for ppl who are putting in a lot of money.

The big issue I have is that now only 2000 people can get tickets, so the community buzz is now only very low, which reduces the amount of people who will buy merchandise and spread the word. With limited numbers you really don't want to give away any tickets nor entice ppl with concessions to attend.

I'm up in the air about if it has benefits or not...

Reply #478434 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Firstly, can people get to games any easier?

Secondly, is there any chance of hosting reptile rumble and finals games back at the TEC?

Thirdly is there any other venue that they could go to or that's being built in the near future?

I hope this is beneficial and true fans like Mick have something to be excited about (you got a rip snorter of a coach)

Reply #478439 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Sorry but it looks like my local stadium with a few extra rows of seats. This is the reason why the 3500 seat venue cap was in place.

The only way I can get behind this is if this was the only way the Crocs didnt fold, which looks like to be the case.

However they should still play a few games at the old place, vs Cairns games at least.

Reply #478458 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Crocs management have said today that its much of a muchness revenue wise because potential to earn is much lower at rsl even if overheads are lower.

Driving factor was TECC changing hands and being unable to negotiate a deal while that transaction was up in the air.

Reply #478467 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Proud, definately much easier to get to, with on site car parking, the townsville basketball complex next door and plenty of grass areas surrounding that can be used for additional parking.

There is no other venue as an option, rsl is the second biggest stadium with the next only holding a few hundred. If they can stay viable by using rsl and then renegotiate terms for entertainment centre as ownership gets sorted that sounds like a positive to me.

The entertainment centre is 80 percent owned by townsville council and 20 percent by the group who own Jupiters hotel next door (which has just been sold). So I think this is the problem with negotiations as the new owners don't take over till later in the year. I did think the council could have been a bit more helpful though considering they are majority owners.

Would love to see the odd game, like reptile rumble and New Years go back to the swamp though. Tecc have screwed themselves out of their major tenant though IMO, thinking that the crocs wouldn't have the balls to move.

Reply #478473 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The downside location wise though is people can't "make a night of it": get to the game, go out and grab some dinner, then go and get a drink somewhere. The stadium is in the burbs. If you just plan on driving to the game and going home with the family it's probably better though.

Hopefully every game is a sellout. Would be a shame to watch them not even be able to sellout RSL.

Reply #478496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

taking SOME games back to the TECC is all dependant on when the new owner comes in and what capacity they are willing to negotiate. the TECC were never ever easy to talk with, to the point where they negotiated playing dates with the NBL last season instead of the crocs!

They reneged on a promise to reduce the rental figure and then refused to provide any support all season

Reply #478530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Appropriate for this size town and where the game is at. Smaller venues like this can be quite intimidating with the crowd noise magnified even with lower numbers of patrons, plus the closer proximity of the public to the court. Apollo stadium in it's day was a fortress for the Sixers because of these factors. Bigger entertainment centres just don't hold as much of a intimidation factor. Good move.

Reply #478550 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The problem with RSL stadium though is you actually feel further away from the court than at TECC despite it being half the size...

Reply #478571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

correct ^^^

Reply #478615 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

It really makes the NBL look like amateur hour playing in a glorified local recreation centre. Straggling teams should be cut loose to make way for better prospects.

Reply #478630 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Gwb bearing in mind if there was a better prospect available ie. Brisbane, 2nd Melbourne they would have been in the league long ago. Not to say that the rsl stadium is ideal but better that than a seven team competition, the change of ownership and inability to negotiate with the incoming owners of the tecc is a short term issue. Still a lot of work to do however.

Reply #478646 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Get used to games in smaller stadiums, it seems there are going to be plenty around the league from next year on. If it delivers a more viable league Im all for it.

Reply #478656 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Agreed Paul, if it helps the league stay alive im also all for it

Reply #478664 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Assuming the NBL will be a 12 team league in a couple of years time, as long as there is a mix of bigger arenas with some teams drawing good crowds (Perth, Adelaide, NZ, Melbourne if they play at MCA or Hisense, and Sydney) then the remaining 7 clubs are playing at 2000-5000 seat venues, then I will be happy with that.

Reply #478686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It really shows you how the stupid 5000 seat stadia rule was.

Reply #478701 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Yes I have also heard that the NBL wants to move to 'boutique' stadiums from next year and onwards. I assume Perth would stay at the Arena though but Sydney will be moving away from the Ent. Centre because it is being demolished.

Reply #478705 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's being replaced before it's demolished I think.

Reply #478717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep. thats where the NBL is at.

Reply #479097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why even post here if that's how you feel

Reply #479208 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:22 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754