Anonymous
Years ago

Gary Ervin not coming back to sixers

just seen on twitter that Gary wont be back with the Sixers next season.

Topic #34655 | Report this topic

kobe24  
Years ago

Potentially very good news. I got faith in Joey Wrights ability to source good import talent. The money that will be freed up now MUUST be spenty wisely. Watch this space...

Reply #478470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey's had pretty good success with imports, I doubt he would let Ervin go if he didn't have something better in mind, but what would I know

Reply #478480 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Sixers should chase two top notch imports if they want to go one better this season. Gibson can play point so sixers should go for an import swingman

Reply #478487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure that this is really news but confirmation rather than speculation I guess.

Ervin wasnt on as much as what people might think so doesnt free up huge dollars.

I like Gary but he seemed to go missing in the Finals when playing away from home....we need someone who will step up and carry us in those situations.

The biggest question mark still hangs over DJ. He will be the hardest to replace should he move on.

If he does, I would be looking at Grant Jerrett - provided he isnt signed on by OKC or some other NBA team.

Reply #478488 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gary on Twitter:

It's official I won't be going back to Adelaide. I wanna thank the fans for being behind me as a player and person

Reply #478489 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

If DJ doesn't come back the money will be there for two good imports not just one

Reply #478490 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not the worst news if you're a sixers fan. I don't think Gary Ervin was a good fit for this team, despite his unique gifts as a ball player.

Joey should be able to source a purer PG import no sweat.

Reply #478493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He also said on twitter that he had wanted to get dual citizenship.

That being the case, which other NBL clubs might want to pick him up?

Reply #478503 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He would be great in an instant offense 6th man role, if he could accept that.

Reply #478504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey has had a good record with imports, but he has also had to spend big to get them.
I think we can all recruit with silly money to spend, getting good imports on a budget is a little harder.

Reply #478506 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Ervin wasn't perfect for the Sixers last season, but he was the best import we've had in forever. After the crap we've had dished up for a long time it was great to see an import who could make plays and entertain the crowd.

I think he also would've had a bigger impact if he hadn't had knee surgery and if Perth hadn't hit the jackpot with its imports. So I guess I'm disappointed he isn't coming back as I think he would've had a better season next time.

Having said that, I'm reasonably confident Joey will find a good replacement, but whoever it is will have to be a go to scorer.

As we've seen before, Gibson is not cut out to be the closer and DJ is the only other go to guy who might be on the team.

Sixers are definitely going to need two impact imports or we will drop back to the pack again next season.

Reply #478507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey and Gary could not stand each other I heard.

Reply #478508 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

i remember seeing rumours of Gary and Joey not getting along great mid season, i dare say this has more to do with that than Garys actual play.

I honestly hope Joey lands a Ebi Ere type in one of the import spots, even if it means moving Gibbo to PG, and a Frye with a jumpshot in the other, that would give us a real nice team imo.

Reply #478515 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He also said on twitter that he had wanted to get dual citizenship.

That being the case, which other NBL clubs might want to pick him up?
Then get dual citizenship. Only a vague bargaining chip until you do it.

Surprised more players don't - lock in a decent NBL career and stability for a family rather than living apart and playing contract to contract. Head back to the US after 10 years or stay here if you like it enough (as many do).

Reply #478553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what the rules specifically are - do you need permanent residency or full citizenship. For citizenship, you need to have lived in Aus for 4 years I think it is, so it is likely he doesn't yet qualify

Reply #478558 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If the Sixers want instant offence off the bench, talk to Happy Days about his bench players

Reply #478564 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Joey should bring back Diamon Simpson

Reply #478569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's near impossible to get dual citizenship and residency if imports go home or different country after seasons end.. Homicide had this issue hence why he tried to play seabl and still got delayed. Ervin would have to stay in Australia a number of years to get citenzship

Reply #478570 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Jack Toft my bench players come at a price. One player i like is Kyle Fogg but he signed on Wednesday in Belguim.Out of Arizona, 1st team Pac 12, won D League championship, dropped 50 in a game in Finland. One to watch....

Reply #478574 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

B I G Opportunity to send over a tape and then have a chat with Joey

Reply #478581 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Ervin gone means opportunity for someone else. When Ervin was injured last season the sixers played some of their best basketball without him. On the downside is he won at least 6 games off his own back due to his brilliance at the clutch. His ability to control the tempo of the game and execute the plays will be missed. Getting into spots defensively in the traffic and getting a hand on the ball is near impossible to replace.

Reply #478654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

G Erv is talented player. One of the best scoring PG's in recent years.

He's an extremely high maintenance guy though.

Reply #478773 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754