Anonymous
Years ago

Ch 7 signs 5 year deal with NFL

Seven has signed a five year agreement for coverage of the US National Football League on Seven and 7mate.

Seven will broadcast three consecutive games on Sunday, ending with NFL Sunday Night Football, all Live on 7mate on Mondays.

Seven will also broadcast live the NFL Playoffs and Super Bowl.

The agreement also includes marquee NFL games such as the traditional Kick-off game and Thanksgiving NFL matches.

Seven's deal includes digital platforms, such as online and HbbTV for select programming and video clips.

7mate will also telecast other NFL programmes, including: Hard Knocks, Sound FX, A Football Life, Road to the Super Bowl, Road to the Playoffs and America’s Game: The Super Bowl Champions.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/06/seven-snares-super-bowl-nfl.html

Topic #34677 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about some NBA games?

Reply #478928 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Cool, this seems to be first sign of the rumoured channel 7 sports channel

hopefully they pick up some NBA and even some NBL aswell.

Reply #478932 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

Apart from the Superbowl and the last two finals games the NFL doesn't rate in Australia. The NBA would have at least 10 times the following in Aus compared to the NFL.

Reply #478934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boring, boring, NFL.

They would have paid very little (in relation to other sports) for these rights and will use (trial) it as cheap filler for 7two day time..

Surely if a sport with very little relevance to/in Australia and even less of a following can be telecast live then imagine what the NBL could be again with that sort of exposure and commitment.

I guess the point is that all channel 7 have to do is patch in the live link and the jobs done. The new NBL Management would be best to pre packaged all the games and support shows (focusing on highest quality image, graphics and commentary as well as an interactive experience) and sell this to the networks...

Reply #478937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Channel 7 are in the process of re-branding 7mate as a sports channel so this will probably mainly be filler for that channel.

Reply #478939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As an NFL fan this is great, though ten did an ok job of it as well. Hopefully NBL or NBA gets a look as well.

Reply #478942 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I think you're underestimating how big the viewing audience is for NFL in comparison to NBA or NBL basketball. Plus interest in the NFL is on the rise.

Reply #478963 | Report this post

Big T  
Years ago

NFL is definitely on the rise in Australia.

Unless I misread it (which I reckon I might of) - did it make any mention of Thursday Night and Monday Night football (us time of course)?

Reply #478968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best news! Next stop nba

Reply #478979 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Surely if a sport with very little relevance to/in Australia and even less of a following can be telecast live then imagine what the NBL could be again with that sort of exposure and commitment."
The following you'd need to broadcast between 1AM and 11AM on a Monday is significantly smaller than the following you'd need to broadcast between 6PM and 9PM any day of the week.

Reply #478982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For someone that is growing into really liking the NFL, this is great news! I think. Or wasn't the NFL on One anyway? Oh well. Yay!

Reply #478986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NFL interest is already higher than NBL in Australia.

Reply #478991 | Report this post

Marty McFly  
Years ago

I'm not the smartest guy with this sort of thing, but surely the marketing department at the NFL are trying to grow their brand in Australia therefore selling the rights at a very cheap rate.

The NBA on the other hand knows Australia has the highest subscription rate of NBA tv in the world so would want top dollar.

A 45 second advert would be 500% dearer on an NBA program than an NFL on Australian television. Unfortunately the world revolves around money and the NBA prices itself out of free to air tv. Foxtel have it sussed, they can pay the NBA rights because they charge me $100 a month to watch telly then charge companies massive fees to show their adverts.

When foxtel first came out in 1996 I think, there were no adverts at all. That's how they got everyone on board, then slowly filtered a few ads here and there.

Rant over

Reply #478997 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

991, The interest in Lingerie League is higher than NFL

Reply #479029 | Report this post

GD  
Years ago

I hope this doesn't lead to blackouts on NFL league pass, that would be annoying.

Reply #479049 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Hopefully 7mate does become a fully fledged sports channel as channel 10/one HD has been a major disappointment.

Reply #479052 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Kind of only vaguely related, but still (IMO) quite interesting: "http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/18/nfl-history-in-95-objects-television-broadcasting-past-and-future/"how the NFL & TV intersect, and what's next.

Reply #479472 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Jack, not that I watch it often, but the Lingerie League is now the Legends Football League based out of Queensland. :}

That's right, our girls playing an NFL style of game wearing ....... Not very much...... I believe!

Reply #479480 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bear, I watched that league once and was surprised that they had the mix of ability, professionalism and sex appeal so well tuned. Knowing the crap we get on TV, I expected it to be prissy, uncoordinated types but the talent actually does the concept justice.

Haven't watched again, but that's probably because I don't care about the sport.

Reply #479496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Lingerie League in the US is big business and ultra professional with involvement from former NFL players.

The Australian league is run by the US league.

Reply #479506 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754