Spurs
Years ago

Duncan the greatest ever?

Now that the Spurs have won another NBA championship surely Tim Duncan would have to be considered the best player ever? He has led the Spurs to championships with players drafted very low as well.

The fact that he has played with the one team for his whole career and is one of the good guys also helps his claim.

He turned the Spurs around as soon as he got drafted.

Topic #34679 | Report this topic

jonno  
Years ago

You could easily make an argument for him to be the best and he would have to be in the top handful of pf/c's of all time wouldnt he.

You could easily argue the best 5 ever were (somewhat by position)

Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
LeBron James
Tim Duncan

Obviously there are a few more greats in the mix but that would be around about my best ever starting 5, obviously calling Duncan a C and either LeBron or Bird PF and for me its hard to argue with.

Reply #478967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ummm Wilt Chamberlain??

Reply #478972 | Report this post

Spurs  
Years ago

I have always wondered how Chamberlain would go these days against bigger centres. For some reason I do not see him being no where near as dominant.

Reply #478975 | Report this post

Spurs  
Years ago

All those above mentioned players had teams pretty much stacked with a few high draft picks. Not many lottery picks on the Spurs team.

Reply #478977 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

yea but lottery pick doesnt always = all star

the same as non-lottery pick doesnt always = non-all star

The Spurs big 3 of Duncan, Parker, Ginobli is pretty talented and for me on par with most other big 3s assembled,

Parker and Ginobli would be lottery picks today, most NBA teams were ignorant of talent outside of the USA at the time they were drafted, the Spurs were just among the first to go after the non-USA guys, and still do more than most and have used this to stack a very deep and talented bench, also built a great culture where no one is greedy so has enabled them to spread the money deeper.

So imo Duncan had similar help to many of the others, Spurs just assembled it in a different way to most, being a really really deep team around Duncan and 2 All stars from overseas, instead of the 3 max salary USA studs and a weakish bench, which is how many other big 3s were built.

Duncan is definitely in the mix for greatest of all time, but he didnt win his titles alone, just as Jordan, LeBron, etc also had support.

Reply #478981 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

Has to go close, maybe Bill Russell ? Wouldn't put Wilt up there with those two. Wilt only cared about scoring, Duncan and Russell only care or cared about winning championships!

Reply #478990 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bill Russell has to enter the discussion. Finals MVP is named after him and I think he's a decent candidate for C in an All-Time Five.

11× NBA champion (1957, 1959-1966, 1968–1969)
5× NBA Most Valuable Player (1958, 1961–1963, 1965)
12× NBA All-Star (1958–1969)
NBA All-Star Game MVP (1963)
3× All-NBA First Team (1959, 1963, 1965)
8× All-NBA Second Team (1958, 1960–1962, 1964, 1966–1968)
NBA All-Defensive First Team (1969)
4× NBA rebounding champion (1958–1959, 1964–1965)
NBA 50th Anniversary Team
NBA 35th Anniversary Team
NBA 25th Anniversary Team
No. 6 retired by the Boston Celtics
2× NCAA champion (1955–1956)

Averaged 20+ RPG in 10 seasons and had a 22.5 RPG career average. In the 1961 playoffs, he averaged 29.9 RPG. His worst rebounding play-offs was still 20+ RPG... Also player-coached in two championship teams.

He was like Wilt, but with the rings...

And this also ignores Oscar Robertson.

I think Wilt would've been a very strong player. Maybe not averaging what he did, but he would've trained up with modern methods and surely been at Shaq's level mixing size and speed.

I've always imagined that Russell would've been similar to Duncan in the modern game, anchoring a smart team-focussed club.

Maybe the only way to do it is with All-Era Fives so you don't end up choosing between LeBron and Larry or Duncan and Russell. Stockton's stats were pretty impressive and it's going to be very hard for someone to top his assists record.

Reply #478994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has to go close, maybe Bill Russell ? Wouldn't put Wilt up there with those two. Wilt only cared about scoring, Duncan and Russell only care or cared about winning championships!

Wilt is only centre to lead the league in assists in a single season during the 1967-68 campaign, he notched 8.6 assists per game. I think you should do some research Dane Suttle before you make these bogus claims.

Reply #479003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teh Big Fundamental

Reply #479010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ And do you know why Wilt led the league in assists that year? Because he wanted to prove he was the best player at everything, and was such a selfish player who only cared about his stats i.e. 100 point game, 50 point season and 8.6 assist season.

Reply #479013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh yeah when you are leading the league is assists and setting up you teammates that is a common trait of being selfish.

Under you logic John Stockton was selfish- leading the league all those years in assists.

Reply #479014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No not at all, John Stockton's role was to set up Karl Malone, Jeff Hornacek and co. Meanwhile Wilt Chamberlin's assist stats were manufactured by his desire to be the best player weren't organic like Stockton, Magic and LeBron etc.

Reply #479018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many finals MVP has Duncan won in the championships?

Don't get me wrong, I think Duncan (and the spurs) should be what the NBA is about.

How can shaq not be in that list?

Lebron has won one championship and the silly spurs gift wrapped the second. Should he be included? Why not Kobe?

Reply #479019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many finals MVP has Duncan won in the championships?

Don't get me wrong, I think Duncan (and the spurs) should be what the NBA is about.

How can shaq not be in that list?

Lebron has won one championship and the silly spurs gift wrapped the second. Should he be included? Why not Kobe?

Reply #479020 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Spurs didn't need high picks. Americans only really consider themselves good at basketball. Spurs built their dynasty on internationals.

Reply #479023 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Congrats to Tim Duncan becoming first player in history to win championships in 3 different decades. The best team will beat a team with the best player

Reply #479034 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

Anon 9003, I'll give you a bit if research. And I am plagiarising .
"Wilt was more talented, Russell gave his teammates a greater chance to win, Wilt better statistically, Russ made his teammates better. Wilt peaked in the reg season, Russ peaked in the playoffs. Wilt shrank in the clutch, Russ peaked in the clutch. Russ won nearly every big game, Wilt loss most. Wilt averaged 50 points one season, Russ won the MVP same season.Wilt was obsessed by stats, Russ was obsessed by winning. Wilt never won a title in High School or College and only won two as a pro, Russ won two in College and 11, yes 11 in the NBA. Russ made his teamattes better, everyone if them wanted to play with him and the Celtics would'nt have traded him in a million years, Wilt was traded twice in his prime."
Russell or Wilt, I know who I'd want in my team.

Reply #479035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wilt was traded twice in his prime."

Chamberlain asked to be traded from the 76ers and threatened to sign with the ABA if this request was not met. He specifically requested to play for the Lakers because he was attracted to the spotlight and the bright lights.

He was traded by the warriors but largely the motivation was financial problems which they were compensated greatly after giving up Chamberlain.

Reply #479038 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure John Salley won 3 titles in 3 different decades aswell, I personally think of Duncan as the greatest power forward of all time even before this title, hakeem has to be up there as one of the greats

Reply #479042 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Good call Keany John Salley won 4 titles with 3 teams over 3 decades. Duncan became first to do it with same team. Also rate Duncan as one of the best bigs to play the game.

Reply #479051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one can seriously rate Duncan ahead of Shaq let alone Jordan.

Greatest PF of all-time? Karl Malone was better.

Reply #479055 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

My greatest 5 players
Magic - PG
Jordan - SG
Le Bron - SF
Duncan - PF
Russell - C
I passed on the older generation BUT given the training techniques etc of todays players and coaches I'm sure some would have been awsome, I could not pass on Russell reports are that he was the ultimate competitor apologies to Shaq fans but Foul Shots really my mun can make them.

Reply #479061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaq would destroy Russell are you for real? Foul shots or not!

Reply #479067 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

Russell made every team he played in better and every player better. His team mates wanted to play with him. My top three, Russell, Hakeem, Shaq.
Karl Malone? Awesome regular season player, absolute crap player at the clutch! Failed at playoff time. How many rings does he have?

Reply #479110 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

IMO I think Duncan is the greatest power forward of all time, then it's close between the mailman and KG, but when it's all said and done I think GOAT will be the only guy from Miami who showed up for the finals ( and I'm no fan of his)

Reply #479132 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Russell or Wilt, I know who I'd want in my team.
Dane, I'm with you there. Coaches would love that sort of player too.

Reply #479138 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

No love for Centre
Kareem?

I'd have him above Shaq and Hakeem

Russell v KAJ is a tough one

Reply #479221 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

It's interesting reading this posts and it highlights to me that you really can't compare across different eras. So many different factors, scheduling, charter flights, diets, training methods, even air con in buildings. Makes it impossible. Acknowledge the greatness from each era (Mikan, Russell, Chamberlain, Dr J, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, LeBron, etc) but really not much point in comparing.

Reply #479264 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I agree with Wilson Sting, comparing players from different eras can be difficult. Bill Russell did win 11 rings but how many teams were there back then.
From 2000 to present these are my best 5.

PG: Steve Nash? or Chris Paul?
OG: Kobe Bryant
SF: LeBron James
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Shaquille O'Neal

Need some help from you guys to select a point guard, I'm thinking Nash or Paul neither have won rings but most recent championship teams have had stars at other positions lead them to titles.

Reply #479298 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I like it Steven, was thinking Jason Kidd at PG

Reply #479299 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Good call Jonno

Reply #479300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id agree with Nash. Wasn't he a two time MVP? Look what he did with that suns team in the west!

Reply #479312 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:16 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754