Isaac
Years ago

NBL State of Origin announcement?

Are you ready for NBL State of Origin? Find out more tomorrow #NBLOrigin
Hopefully it's not just a series of articles and hypotheticals that have people assuming it will mean actual games.

Topic #34681 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd prefer the All Star game to be perfectly honest.

Reply #478989 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I'd take an Origin weekend over an all-star weekend, every time. All-star games stink, at least there would be some "title" to play or in the Origin scenario.

Reply #479007 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

A state of origin whatever, takes the trouble of getting players from different zones and quite possibly stacking one side and blows it up even more I think...

I can't see how a game/series would be viable though, even in pre-season, it defeats the purpose of it... Maybe it's an online thing?

I'm sure there's a Hoops thread from ages ago that has the players and their states of origin? As long as it's not where they first played competitive/representative ball like the NRL version?

Reply #479017 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I guess the State of Origin format does evoke more passion. Don't know how they will split teams though.

Reply #479021 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I thought the local vs imports was a good idea because the guys had something to prove. Having an arbitrary geographical line is pointless. Qld and NSW end up on the same team and they are sworn enemies sporting wise. Unless its state of origin lets keep it to locals vs imports.

Reply #479026 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Some states would struggle to field a team. Wouldn't mind seeing Imports, NZ, Aussie North and Aussie South in a 4 team tournament over a weekend

Reply #479033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about doing this in winter so overseas guys can come back and play. Do it as a week long tournament. Surely smaller states can fill out teams with seabl players. Maybe make it annual before boomers camps for worlds/Olympics/Oceania.

Maybe have two pools play round robin
NZ
NSW
QLD
SA
VIC
WA
TAS
NT/ACT branded as the territories

3 days of pool rounds (mon,tues,wed)
Rest day (thurs)
Semis (fri)
Final (sat)

Couple of cities host the pools and then a 3rd to host finals.

Reply #479040 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

When players are getting injured in National teams and even team pre-season, I doubt teams would want to risk their players in what could just be a bit of fluff...

I like the idea of having it in off season and having OS players come back, but really that's the same risk... I liked the High Stakes Hoops idea but obviously didn't get a chance to see a lot of it from up here...

Reply #479047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I used to really enjoy seeing the Australia vs Rest of the World games.

Reply #479054 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

What will be the format?

Victoria United v Queensland Heat v NSW Blues v West Australian ...

Will it be similar to cricket, Soccer, Football, Rugby or Basketball?

If we go down the track of State of Origin for basketball could we see it truly basketball and truly state v state like it is in the Nationals, but we already have this in the juniors, don't we?

I would even go so far as to cap the age limit and provide the opportunity for our 25 and under players to showcase their talent, if it was only Australians involved. Again, sounds like Nationals and is that what we want?

Otherwise just leave it as Australia/NZ v the NBL Imports in an All-Star format, nothing wrong with this and people would get to know the players over say a three game series.

State of origin could be just too big and I am not sure the greater population would embrace it, yet!

In the end it will come down to how it is promoted I think...

Reply #479077 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

It's nothing just a little twitter game.

Reply #479092 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, risky announcement the way they did it. It's just a series of social media hypotheticals.

Reply #479105 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Was excited for a minute

Reply #479116 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754