Anthony Petrie
Luke Schenscher
Guard
Big

Guard or Big will be an import

Topic #34687 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

hope not, not a fan of wilson, doesnt bring the excitement/flair that we need, wastes the ball and cant shoot from outside any better than the rest of the team.

Reply #479118 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Import should be Diamon Simpson please.

Reply #479119 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Is there any proof that Wilson will play for Adelaide??

Reply #479122 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I hope you're just trolling! Who's going to open up opposing defences and create good shots on that team? Unless by 'big' you mean DJ and by 'guard' you mean a James Ennis level wing, then that is a mediocre team at best.

Reply #479126 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Wilson is a good reliable NBL Import PG...so unless we spending the extra cash a another Stud import not sure he is the answer when we already have Gibbo who can fill the role probably better than Jamar.

Reply #479130 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

i like a lot of players on that team.

i dont like a lot of the players together on that team.

not enough outside shooting unless crawford winds back the clock. very little shooting coming off the bench.

i like the defense of creek , teys , crawford , bj , gibson petrie though. and i think wilson would be a defensive upgrade on our last pg import ( although i havent seen much of wilson so im just going off memory of what ive heard?)

so defensively very good team. you would want to sign a good centre , and sign a very good 3 pt shooter to add to that team.

Reply #479131 | Report this post

Big Ads of Perth  
Years ago

That roster looks just like a roster scratched out on a piece paper during a family dinner a week ago.

We had question marks with the 1 spot and the 5 spot subject to DJ and Jamar announcements.

(3)

Reply #479135 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Wilson is definitely a sure thing. Like it or not. The other import spot now becomes a massive deal. Throw DJ and a studd import to that team and its got depth talent and veteran leadership, whats not to like. Ofcourse if DJ doesnt return and the import is a dud, its all over red rover.

Reply #479137 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Johnson returns (or Wilkinson replaces him) that's a very impressive team, ready for another championship run.

Reply #479143 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

If the rest of those guys are signed, ideally we would add DJ and a import sg/sf who can handle the ball, shoot half decent from the peremiter with whatever cash we have left.

If DJ leaves id be tempted to go with a bit of a different approach, but in a way similar to the 2007 Bullets, by signing Daly on min salary and a stud import wing with the left over cash, to use a name and one who was on the 2007 team ill call the import Ebi Ere (we should go after him or someone similar)

That would give us a line up of

C Petrie/Schenscher
PF Creek/Anthony
SF Ere/Crawford
SG Gibson/Teys
PG Wilson/Daly

Now you may say Petrie is a small C, which he is, but from memory wasnt Dusty the C on the 2007 team with Bradtke off the bench, so that could work and Schenscher if healthy will play 20+ mins anyway so wont be too small over all.

Creek played alot of his Junior national team at PF and with his still developing perimiter game it may be the best spot for him, given he is similar in size to guys like Vukona who play PF anyway i dont consider him too small and he is solidly built and hustles well, he would be the poor mans Mackinnon playing PF like he did on the bullets team.

I think the pg-sf line up is pretty solid and has a bit more outside shooting and if we get Ere or someone as good we will have added that wing go to scorer we lacked last year. Wilson will be solid enough, hopefully we can get a little more out of him than his last season, the talk of him wanting to naturalise/stay in Aus permanently makes him a bit more attractive long term aswell.

If we have a point or 2 left id be open to adding a big man to the roster as insurance, not sure who is out there though maybe could offer a Truslove type a part time contract to train once or twice a week, suit up for home games and fill in for injuries as required, id go for a young guy if there is one out there.

Reply #479145 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Whilst I was hoping for a stud import at PG, Wilson is an upgrade on Ervin I think. It also makes sense as Joey likes to go with seasoned campaigners in at least 1 import spot. Wilson is a crafty vet who gets in the lane at will and can break down a defense. He is also a better finisher at the rim, defender, rebounder and passer than Ervin.

I wouldnt be judging him on his last season in Cairns as he wasnt exactly in an ideal situation there.

I think his play will surprise alot of fans.

We need to get the last 2 roster spots right though if we are to be a contender again.

Reply #479153 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Problem with that theory is Mackinnon was an absolute superstar at that point in his career, Mitch ain't there yet.

Reply #479155 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Oh yea very true, not comparing Creek to Mackinnon apart from style of play, Sammy Mac was at a level or 2 above for sure.

I just think he could be a poor mans Vukona/Mackinnon type PF if we go for a smaller line up.

Reply #479157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the team as stated above but the Centre position is a real concern if DJ leaves.

Are there any local centres available that are starter quality? Is Schenscher a viable option to start?

It's looking like we will have to get an import big man or go small. Either way the second import will need to be very high quality.

Reply #479160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've also heard from multiple sources (that I would not call reliable at all) that Wilson will be here too. I like Crawford. Would have liked him on last years team. At the end of the day, if we were to somehow retain DJ and get a cheapish import for the other spot, we would be favoured to go deep again next year.

Reply #479161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So we Bag DJ and now want him to return??
'He plays no D' 'takes bad shots' 'he is a sook'and 'he pulls his shorts all the time'

Reply #479162 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

If we end up with Wilson, I will pray that you are right Tornado! From what I have seen of Wilson, he's a crafty vet, but he's a step slow these days and can be shut down by decent opposition.

As most here have said, that team will need a very good import wing player to contend. The problem is, if we lose DJ as expected, then which Aussie big are we going to get that can impact the game significantly?

Petrie and Schenscher are good and solid respectively, but they can't carry the load for 30mins each a game all season!

I just don't see which Aussie we could sign to give us enough depth at the C/PF position if we want to contend.

Reply #479166 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

yea i agree Beantown which is why i suggested going smaller, as unless we keep DJ or get a Kickert, Motum or Neville type, which im not expecting its hard to find a strong big man, and id rather a import swingman,

so was thinking go small or take a punt on a young Aussie playing college/SEABL a bit like the Wildcats did with Jervis i guess, but not sure if there are any likely types out there, could sort of do bo

Hopefully DJ stays and that solves the C problem, if not Joey will have to be creative i think.

Reply #479167 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So we Bag DJ and now want him to return??
Who's "we"? Once again failing to understand that different people have different opinions and that identifying flaws in a game doesn't mean discrediting everything about a player. I see your IP address come up and know the kinda junk you're going to post every time.

Reply #479171 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah the DJ issues were warrented... emphasis on WERE. He took his game a new level last season and was a stud. For what its worth my source for the Wilson signing is very viable. I was worried with the signing at first until my source made it clear, Wilson was so under utilised last season and was in Fearne's doghouse... Expect a point to prove from him, especially against Cairns!

Reply #479175 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

If we lose DJ and dont wanna go small with Petrie starting C and cant get a Neville, Kickert, Motum type, maybe we should give one of these young(ish) guys a go as back up to Schenscher

Matt Andronicos
Brad Reid
Matt Hodgson
Jordan Vandenberg
Alex Opacic
Mitch Boyce
Adrien Sturt

None are ideal, but not sure who better is out there??

Guys with a little NBL experience like Tim Lang, Pero, Mottram are also out there as possible options.

Opacic is probably my pick, doing ok at SEABL level looking at his stats and from what ive read i think he is similar style of player to DJ.

Would give us a line up of

Schenscher/Opacic
Petrie/Anthony
Ere/Creek
Gibson/Crawford/Teys
Wilson/Daly

(Going with 11, i think we can fit Daly and Opacic in with the rest of the guys under the points cap)

Thats possibly sort of a best of both worlds option of my go small theory, as if Opacic is decent and Schenscher's body holds up we will have decent C to play most the minutes if one of our C's struggles Petrie and Creek can play some bigman minutes at C and PF respectively, and we can still use the small ball line up if we want to.

Not all doom and gloom if DJ leaves imo, but obviously better if he stays, and we could end up upgrading if our import swingman + say Daly and/or Opacic (or other big) is better than DJ and Carter.

Id also love to bring Carter back, but not sure if there is room if we get Crawford as rumoured.

Reply #479176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we lost DJ we could look at getting a real good Import big/center and a cheap back up pg such as Carter because from that roster that is what we need.
I know people aren't all that high on import bigs but who knows.

Reply #479177 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Yea an option, just very few import bigs that NBL clubs can afford imo,

Wilkinson would be a good option though. I

just think you can usually get a better import swingman so would go down that path, they also typically add more athleticism, excitement and clutch play than any import C's we have had in the NBL, these things can = bums on seats and wins, both being important.

Either way is fine though, aslong as the import is good.

Reply #479178 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Many are listing Crawford in their teams for next season. Question: is Crawford a better option than Rhys Carter?

In terms of ball-handling and defense I would take Carter every day of the week, their shooting abilities are just about on par and Crawford is likely going to continue to decline over the next few years.

Moreover, playing 3 guards has become the norm for NBL teams over the years, hence Teys/Gibbo are always options at SF.

Wilson / Daly
Gibson / Carter
Teys / Creek
Petrie / Anthony
Schenscher / ???

Reply #479179 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I agree and would also take Carter, was just listing Crawford as he is rumoured to be coming to the 36ers and was using all the guys listed in the opening thread,

Reply #479180 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

It seems that Wilson and maybe Crawford are signing, so maybe a team like

Wilson (9)/Carter (5)
Gibson (10)/Teys (1)
Creek (6)/Crawford (6)
Petire (8)/Anthony (5)
Diamon Simpson (10)/Schenscher (9)

and works under the points system

Reply #479181 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I like it, if we go a import big Simpson would be a great signing!

Reply #479182 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

a Frye with a jumper and adrien sturt...i'm a little bit excited...

Reply #479184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, so defensive you Hawks supporters , it just an opinion anon has ballsac!

Reply #479193 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

C Import/Schenscher
F Petrie/Anthony
F Creek/??????
G Teys/Crawford
G Gibson/Carter

Spent big $$$ on an import using the marquee thingy

Reply #479195 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Would much much rather a fresh face at point guard than Wilson. Although a talented bench player, he isn't starter level on a championship team. A point guard with size like Stephen Dennis would be ideal.

If DJ doesn't return I think we grab Justin Hamilton who is lighting up the D-League. He won defensive player of the year and was a 50% 3-point shooter and is also 6-11. If DJ does return we should get an athletic SF/SG like Kevin Tiggs.

Reply #479197 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Wilson is a small upgrade on Gary.

A bit slower but plays with more control. Too often Gary was too aggressive ont he drive only to hit the opposition brick wall.

He did that at least a couple of times in critical moments in Game 3 GF last season.

Can hold the ball too much but Adelaide have more reliable inside targets than Cairns, so I'd expect much better passing from Wilson.

With Wilson you know what you are getting rather than take the risk.

Also Crawford is an interesting, if the price is low, could be a good Vet pick up and hopefully can regain his knockdown shot.

Reply #479220 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I don't want Wilson or Crawford on the team. I would find it slightly hard to support the 6ers if I despise 2 players on the roster. Crawford is old and brings nothing unless his shot falls, Wilson is a decent player but doesn't excite me.

Reply #479229 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From what I hear, get used to the idea of Wilson and Crawford.

Reply #479231 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Jonno, if we have already committed one import slot to Wilson and DJ leaves, I tend to agree with going smaller and starting Petrie @ centre.

With only one import slot remaining, I think it is more important to get a gun wing who can get his own shot and find the open man (eg Crawford, Teys, Gibbo, Petrie) when double-teamed, rather than the limited big man we will probably get as an import.

Its not an ideal situation, but I think its better than getting someone like Simpson again, who, whilst I liked his hustle on the glass at both ends, is a liability at the end of games because he can't shoot foul shots.

Fingers crossed DJ comes back and then it won't be an issue. I'm really not liking the idea of depending on a bounce-back season from Wilson to make our offence tick. I'd almost rather see Chris Warren back. At least he can shoot!

Reply #479239 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Oh dear. DJ and Ervin were our best two players last season really.

Carter was the spark which helped us in the playoffs and grand final series. Without all 3, we're in a lot of trouble!

C Import/Schenscher
F Petrie/Anthony
F Teys/Creek
G Gibson/Crawford
G Wilson/???? (Please be Carter. PLEASE!)

If we retain DJ and Carter, i'd be a lot happier...

Reply #479241 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Would much rather Chris Warren than Jamar Wilson

Reply #479242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not keen on Crawford unless he gets on a Patty Mills fitness routine...…
Jamar okay but would have preferred a 'attitude adjusted' Gary Erivn….
DJ crucial and get Daly back to replace Cadee……

PF ?? in Joeys hands...

Reply #479243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if anyone can make it work Joey can make it work.

If Jamar can get back to the form that got him to runner up MVP in his 1st season he'll be a great pick up.

Reply #479249 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Not keen on any of those additions. I would rather bring back Ervin and carter, as mentioned Wilson is craft but too slow now.

Reply #479252 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I don't get why so many people are keen on Daly, I know he is an Adelaide boy but I would rather get the best possible player

Reply #479269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah agree about Daly

Reply #479271 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I have Daly in as he is cheap points and salary wise, and if we want DJ a import after already adding Crawford and Wilson i doubt we can fit Carter in, but yea would prefer to keep Carter aswell, but if we cant keep Carter, Daly would likely be among the best options and showed some potential when given a bit of a go under Clarke a couple of years ago.

Reply #479276 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"Not keen on Crawford unless he gets on a Patty Mills fitness routine..."

I'm not keen on Crawford unless he becomes Patty Mills....

Reply #479278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Sexy, its about points and cost and Daly is still lower value and carving it up in assists in SEABL with Pioneers. He is a team player and has relationship right now with the Sixers and working with them last season under Joey... Not just about being local…. Well respect by team mates and taken out state league awards and player voted ones over the last few years…. More than just potential…

Reply #479279 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like the look of:

Johnson or Wilkinson/Schenscher
Petrie/Anthony
Creek/Crawford
Gibson/Teys
Wilson/Carter

Reply #479280 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

That does look good to me also Paul,

If we do go for the import C, Wilkinson would be my first choice as he is proven in the NBL and similar to DJ so would fit in well.

Reply #479282 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

To me the one big advantage the 36ers had last season was speed. With Ervin, Cadee, Carter and DJ who ran the lanes better than most bigs. Now it's likely that all 4 of these guys are gone and so far it's said that Wilson and Crawford are a couple of the additions.

I'm sorry but Crawford is no upgrade on Carter and I'm not buying that Wilson is better than Ervin. Sure Ervin had some issues but the excitement he generates and the games he literally pulled us across the line, should not be forgotten.

Reply #479285 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

If DJ comes back
Import/Daly
Gibson/Teys
Import/Creek
Petrie/Anthony
Johnson/Schenscher

No DJ
Import/Carter
Gibson/Teys
Creek/Crawford
Petrie/Anthony
Import/Schenscher

Reply #479286 | Report this post

Mysac  
Years ago

Definately going to struggle in Transition..

Reply #479288 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

If it is Diamon hopefully he has improved his FT shooting. It was terrible !

Reply #479297 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Can't say I would buy a season membership to see Peter Crawford or Jamar Wilson, I hope these rumours are unfounded.

Reply #479302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crawford an olympian only two years. What else is availablethis off season?

Reply #479305 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Disappoints me most wasting an import spot on Jamar, I could handle Crawford on the bench but Jamar as an import irritates me.

Reply #479307 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I think Wilson will be solid enough and if he gets back to his best NBL form could be very good, he was 2nd in the MVP a couple of years ago.

I must admit i would prefer Ervin, but ill trust Joey on this one as i think he earnt that last season, he made a few other moves ala starting Teys that i wasnt a massive fan of, but they seemed to work ok as well, so lets trust Joey and see how it plays out.

It may be the case of getting Wilson in for Ervin a little cheaper $$$ and points wise, which may enable us to keep DJ or sign a top quality 2nd import, so the swap may end up being the eqiuvalent of Ervin, Cadee out for Wilson and stud 2nd import, so if thats the case its probably also a good move.

Will be itnerested to see how it plays out with the remainder of the signings.

In Joey we trust.

Reply #479310 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Definately going to struggle in Transition..
As opposed to struggling in almost every facet of the game as per the teams of your favoured coaches?

Reply #479314 | Report this post

Mysac  
Years ago

Come on Isacc keep it Clean!!no need to get personal because you have the IP power.

Reply #479317 | Report this post

Big Ads of Perth  
Years ago

I once hated the idea of Paul Rees being the starting centre for the Sixers. I had preferred Brett Wheeler. Wheels was much quicker and athletic. Having Willie Simmons come off the bench wasn't too bad either. But Paul Rees as the only centre, WTF.... Magic had Anstey and Dorge, Tigers had Bradtke, who dominated Rees during the 1997 semi-final series (North v Melb). Both Tigers and Magic were the pace-setters at the time.

Sure there were other elements at play but Paul Rees surprised me as a Sixer.

I'll give Jamar a chance to prove the doubters wrong.

(3)

Reply #479336 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Wonder when Joey was last speaking with Ira Clarke....

He's 39 now but 2 games a week with his level of fitness wouldn't be a problem at all.

;)

Reply #479342 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Come on Isacc keep it Clean!!no need to get personal because you have the IP power.
Look at your alias if you want to talk about making it personal.

Big Ads, yeah, I don't think Wilson as a signing bugs me too much. His scoring has been down but he actually shot less yet at a higher percentage. Probably not an issue if there are scorers to distribute to.

Crawford I don't know about. Useful to have anyone defensively minded, but his FG and 3P percentages are down and we already have Creek and Teys for him to compete with. Hope it's not a sympathy play and more that Joey thinks he can wring more than Dennis from him.

Reply #479345 | Report this post

Mysac  
Years ago

Look at your alias if you want to talk about making it personal.
haha! Fair enough ill leave you alone now.
Just miss F**cking with you Champ.

Reply #479351 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That does remind me, thank god we signed Joey Wright and got rid of Marty Clarke.

Reply #479367 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I wonder if Jamar wants to be an Australian citizen or not?

I think that could work but I'm not sure the love affair of having Gibson at SG is that fruitful as we both know Wilson can go out of games and Gibson isn't the cleverest when it comes to knowing when to pick up the slack and Teys or PC would be better options on the court.

I think Wilkinson would would extremely well in this team but if you choose to go for a SF then have you ever thought of Jarrid Frye?

Reply #479411 | Report this post

Mysac  
Years ago

KET just leave it now!! you are being Immature.

Reply #479418 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Mysac" where have you popped up from?

Reply #479420 | Report this post

Mysac  
Years ago

I was an Anon, but you guys carry on so much about it i got an Alias, it feels so much better!!
Thanks Guys

Reply #479421 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Mysac, it feels great that we aren't staring down the prospect of finishing last or second to last with talented teams anymore.

Reply #479437 | Report this post

Mysac  
Years ago

Your not wrong KET!!

Reply #479439 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems Joey and Ervin argued a lot. probably a mutual thing to go their own way, maybe.

Ira clark, million dollar man. No one can dunk the ball like Ira Clark can.

Reply #479477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reckon Gary gets the message he needs to behave. Would have liked a year contract to see if he could settle...

Reply #479478 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If the 36ers sign Wilson and Crawford as reported, and Johnson stays, that would leave them with nine points to spare and an import spot open.

What do people think of Lance Hurdle as an option? Or would you prefer Rhys Carter?

Both shot 36% on threes in their last NBL season, both play good D and both are good teammates, they just go about it differently. Lance would fit in Joey Wright's style but so does Rhys and he might be more of a multi-year prospect?

Reply #479692 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Wouldn't mind seeing Lance Hurdle back in NBL

Reply #479693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take carter over Crawford and get an import 3

Reply #479695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Crawford be signed would be a bigger asset if DJ is continuing with his contract and playing on with the sixers next season after this off nbl season spent with the pirates. Having Crawford outside would surely stretch the D giving him more room to work down low. Thats if PC can get some range going again.

I would love to see Hurdle here, would def get some highlights going...if he has recovered 100%

Reply #479696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Latest Boti article indicates that PC is a done deal for the 36ers.

Hopefully this means DJ is coming back for his last contract year. His stats have been good, but not great for the pirates. Without a Euro passport i dont think he'll be gettin a gig in Europe.

Reply #479744 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Plenty of guys playing in PR over the years who've been successful imports in Europe, and DJs stats stack up well, not that it means much in an individual comp like that one.

If DJ absolutely wants to be an import in Europe next year I think he will be, the question is what level comp and whether what's available is more attractive than Adelaide.

Reply #479747 | Report this post

Lightning  
Years ago

Don't the holders of 36ers season tickets get entry into the Lightning games as well this season????

Reply #479783 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Dont get Crawford too old ,dont want sixers to get a copeland again ,give carter a full season ,his defence is good and is a team man.

No Jamar wilson for me ,hope Joey gets two quality imports and go one better this season.
Joey has a good record in getting good imports ,my view to his recruitment of imports have been good ,few have been shown the door.

Reply #479784 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Like 86 view of team minus Crawford

Get a tall if no DJ,and a PG.
Hurry up July see what Joey signs.,want to see a playmaker similiar to Ervin.Tall similiar to Simpson and a swingman similar to Dorsey.

Be nice to get Simpson,and Dennis on sixers wishlist.

Reply #479785 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:07 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754