anoymous
Years ago

Aussies going to Juco

With a large amount of good Aussie juniors signing with jucos lately (Keanu Pinder, Nick Laycock, Dylan Hogerty-Doyle just to name a few) I am wondering what makes these kids go to a juco rather than an NCAA or NAIA?
is it always grades or is it because they feel they need more time to develop to play NCAA?

Topic #34689 | Report this topic

Go for it  
Years ago

The ones I know of, can't get into ncaa colleges because of grades or are only offered partial scholorships.

Reply #479183 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Juco schools are often the go when an athlete does not meet the academic requirements for NCAA. After 2 years many jump up to the NCAA DI or DII.

Reply #479186 | Report this post

anoymous  
Years ago

ok thank you for the clarification!

Reply #479188 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

How bad do you have to be to not meet the academic requirements?

Or is it just that these guys arent top 10 prospects so their academic indiscretions arent conveniently overlooked...?

Reply #479189 | Report this post

Go for it  
Years ago

You have to make sure that you take the right subjects in high school. They go for more of the Humanity subjects. The SAT is not easy, but you are going to study, so you should be fairly academic.

Reply #479196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of players don't do the right subjects

Reply #479202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The academic standard is high to get in and easy when you get there..If for some reason you missed a tear (illness or travel) since year 6 at school you are not eligible.
If you didn't do maths or a science all the way through you are ineligible.
Talking from experience of a kid that signed with a Mid range Div 1 and ended up at juco for 2 years then transferred back to Div 1

Reply #479219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta get a 1010 on the SAT

Reply #479223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Family member going to jjunior college on basketball scholarship. More his level at the moment but ineligible for NCAA because of high school subjects done here. Happy with choice made though.

Reply #479283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can sopmeone clarify what subjects need to be done - Maths, Science and ???

Reply #479284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better chance of going to a better quality Div.1 or 2 school after going to Juco, especially if you aren't a 'superstar' junior. You are easily seen once in their system and a lot of NCAA schools only really want you for 2 or 3 years. That 1st year on scholarship is a waste to them as you may not get to play much. Harsh, but reality.

Reply #479292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You wonder why kids go to Juco instead of D1 ?? REALLY ?? Let me see, perhaps its because they are not good enough for D1 and they have no scholarship offers from D1 schools. Didnt think it was that hard to figure it out.

Reply #479301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to take a maths, science, english course each yr from 9-12 than cant remember the other one. Shouldn't really matter our high schools are superior to there's, academically at least. Juco is also a good place to showcase your talent if you want to get some immediate playing time compared with D1/2

Reply #479304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some Juco's are tougher than NCAA schools so choose your target wisely. Some of the more 'colourful' teams have guys who can flat out play but don't qualify academically for NCAA schools.

Reply #479309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You need 16 core subjects from year 9 thru to 12. Being Maths English science and history or geography. PE doesn't count. Also need to sit SAT. Juco 14 core subjects, no SAT. It's a good way to get into the system, get good playing time, improve, get noticed and then move on after 2 years. Has worked well for my daughter, moved onto div 1 after 2 years at juco and doing excellent. College is successful and went to sweet 16. Recommend it.

Reply #479316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In regards to all 3 of those players mentioned above, I have met all of them and know they had other offers outside of junior college, Pinder and Hogarty-Doyle did not get the grades whilst Laycock will need a year of junior college to be ready for the ncaa level (same as hogarty-doyle)
Some kids see it as a gateway to bigger things

Reply #479358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my mistake they did not get the credits, because of subject selection

Reply #479364 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

The SAT is easy. Don't know why people say otherwise. I did it without a calculator on me and managed to get above what was required.
Main reason from people I know of is either due to not having fulfilled some classes they require or simply to get big minutes and showcase their skills that coaches there may not be able to see properly from video

Reply #479388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754