Benno
Years ago

Knicks after Patty

Yes, it has already started. A lot trending at the moment about the Knicks interest. Patty works well in the Spurs system.. But id love to see MILLSANITY continue.

source:
http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/report-knicks-interested-in-patty-mills.html

Topic #34691 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Go away New York :(

Reply #479194 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Yeah nah no thanks. Knicks need a PG who can lead and set the team up

Reply #479198 | Report this post

spidergoat  
Years ago

I think it could be a good case of buy low sell high for the spurs. How much more improvement has he got left in him.Would they be happy to keep him as 7th, 8th man for a low salary (value for money)?

Reply #479199 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Except youre not selling high because hes an unreatricted FA...youre buying low, giving away for free...

Reply #479200 | Report this post

spidergoat  
Years ago

my mistake, thought he had a year left. time goes quick.

Reply #479201 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

I read today that both the Heat & Pacers would be a perfect fit for Patty.
As both need starting point guards & both have point forwards/guards that would allow Mills to play off the ball to use his 3 point abilities (That's if Lebron stays with the Heat). Me, I would prefer if he stays at the Spurs.

Not sure if the Knicks would be a good fit for Patty with Amare Stoudemire staying for $23 Million this year & Carmelo Anthony heading for free agency.
At least this is the last year of Amare horrible contract & with Phil Jackson on board he might be able to bring the Knicks back from the dead.

Reply #479203 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I would sign another deal with the Spurs if they offer him one and if it is reasonably close to offers elsewhere.. the team is aging, he is growing and sure to get even better minutes next season.

Reply #479204 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Did anyone else think Pop tried to keep his value down by not playing him more than 30 mins? He could of had 40 yesterday!

Pop will retain him & i hope he does.

Patty not ready to run a franchise show...

Reply #479205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melo is headed to Houston.

Reply #479206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melo would be a way better fit in Chicago. Houston would be a nightmare with James "no D" Harden flopping and taking 25 shots per game, Duuuuuuwight being the primadonna that he is, an unhappy Chandler Parsons and " 2 weeks of dominating" Jeremy Lin.

Chicago on the other hand has a great coach who preaches D, a great team that plays team D and makes the playoffs (without Rosé) on their heart and hustle.

Melo and the Bulls are like ying and yang. The Bulls need instant firepower and Melo needs a team with Defence.

Imagine Harden and Melos stats combined for the game.
52pts on 14/55 shooting, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal
These 2 teaming up would be hilarious and if Melo want to win he should stay as far away from the Rockets as possible.

Reply #479210 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Virtually every team is interested in signing players that can shoot, let alone everything else Patty brings to the table. Hopefully the Spurs fork out the cash to re-sign him.

Gary Neal 12/13 Patty Mills 13/14
MPG 21.8 18.9
PPG 9.5 10.2
FG% .412 .464
3P% .355 .425
FT% .865 .890
RPG 2.1 2.1
APG 1.9 1.8
SPG 0.4 0.8
TOPG 0.8 0.8

Gary Neal signed a 2-year $6.5mil (fully guaranteed) contract with Milwaukee following 12/13.

Patty had a more efficient season statistically, is younger than Neal was this time last year, and has a championship ring to boot.

I dare say that the Knicks won't be in contention if they are only willing to spend "a portion of their mini mid-level exception" ($3.2mil).

Reply #479224 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

What about George Hill - Signed a 5 year $40 Million Contract.

His 2013/14 Stats.
MPG PPG APG RPG PER
32.0 10.3 3.5 3.7 13.42

Patty average the same amount points per game on nearly half the mins played.

Not saying Patty is worth $8 Mil a year, but what wereIndiana thinking when they offered him that contract.

Reply #479232 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Id take George Hill over Patty Mills.

Reply #479234 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

I agree playmaker mo, if you're going to leave the spurs to go to a losing team it'd better be for more than that.

I would say a salary range of $4-5 million a season is more appropriate for Patty's value in the open market than $3M that the Knicks/NY post article is suggesting. Of course if he stays at the Spurs it would be less, probably around the $3M a season mark.

It's funny how a player like Jeremy Lin can go from being waived by teams consistently, then through other player injuries has a break out couple of months and yet those same teams that waived him now all of a sudden are scrambling to sign him for huge money, and he signs a contract for $26 million over 3 years. Next season he will be on $14M, huge money considering his performance isn't that great and certainly hasn't been at the level it was for the period he was at the Knicks.

Reply #479235 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Kobe24 I don't know why you think they are comparable, George Hill is a PG, is 28 Years old, and signed a 5 year $40 million contract with Pacers

Reply #479236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty stays at spurs keeps doing his apprenticeship under Parker then takes over when Parker retires.

Simples

Reply #479237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure George Hill is a local Indiana guy too.

Reply #479246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would take patty over George hill.. Patty is a better player

Reply #479248 | Report this post

sage  
Years ago

Harden Averaged 6 assists by himself last season.One thing he does well is be efficient on offence and get hi teammates good looks.He has sublime court vision.Hi defence stinks but to say he is not a willing passer or inefficient is wrong.

Reply #479255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty won't leave Spurs, with Parker winding down and this series showed he is slowing and not able to plant he minutes of previous years.... Who wouldn't want to play under Pop too….

Reply #479263 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Patty should be looking for money and a solid 2/3 year deal with gurantted money.

He has a chip and shown he can play so time to get a deal and set up the rest of his life.

If it is with the Spurs great, if not then so be it.

Reply #479267 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Did anyone else think Pop tried to keep his value down by not playing him more than 30 mins?

None of the Spurs players averaged more than 30 minutes for the entire season. Coach Pop has his rotations to a T, keeping Patty's minutes down because of value would have never gone through his mind at all.

" I always think about our guys sometimes, and their stats. They really get screwed sometimes, playing for me. If you win 62 games, and some of them are by a decent margin, I bet our guys play fewer fourth quarter minutes than most good players on any team. I'd be willing to bet that. It hurts their stats, without a doubt, but luckily I’ve got players who don’t think about that." - Coach Pop

Reply #479277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harden isn't that efficient on offense at all. Gets dodgey fouls called for dropping his shoulder and causing contact.

People say Kobe's a hog and shoots poorly yet compare the last season of both players

Kobe - 27.3 pts @ 46.3% and 6 assists
Harden - 25.4 pts @ 45.6% and 6 assists

Kobe also averaged more rebounds. Kobe also has made all defensive teams multiple times something harden will never do.

Just don't understand why people say one thing about Kobe yet opposite about harden???

Reply #479290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope he stays with the Spurs. I think they've helped him develop in ways he might not have at another club, and I'd hate to see him change clubs and regress.

Don't think he's ready for a starting job, but scorer off the bench suits him perfectly.

Reply #479295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24590787/report-knicks-interested-in-free-agent-spur-patty-mills

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-18/knicks-among-several-nba-franchises-chasing-mills/5532172

Reply #479341 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

at this stage of his career patty is best suited to being a impact scorer, high rotation player off the bench, spread the floor so that parker/manu can attack or get duncan with single coverage kind of role.

several things are obvious.

1. pop will rest parker plenty during the season and give patty lots of minutes

2. pop trusts patty and has progressively moved him up the rotations as he has proven he can play in the spurs system.

3. the spurs system of multiple passing with wings out wide to spread the defense from clogging the lanes suits patty to a tee.

the only reason patty should move anywhere is if pop were to bring in pg's that would move patty down the rotation order. but i dont see that happening. i dont know what tweaks pop may make to the gameplan though , but the one right now works to the crew and patty works to the plan.

Reply #479357 | Report this post

kason jidd  
Years ago

Patty will get bigger $$$ if he goes elsewhere. He will also get more exposure and more minutes. We all know Patty can be a franchise player we have seen him go nuts at international/olympic level. If he stays in the Spurs system he will remain a role player in his prime and will never know how far he could have taken his game. I say go for it Patty.

Reply #479362 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Patty isn't a franchise player lol

He's good, I love him, I hope he stays at the Spurs, but he's not a franchise player.

Reply #479368 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

If Patty leaves for money and minutes it will cement him as a selfish player/person to a degree. Yes money is important, but when you're making (and he will get it from Spurs) 2+ million a year, and 20 minutes a game you can't complain when you're a championship contender year in and year out. He's also pretty smart with his money and investments, so I don't think he will leave for those reasons now he had this breakout season and has financial interests that will keep his pockets filled.

Reply #479387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Franchise player? Seriously? Are you for real?

You think in the future he will sign a 4 year $96m that a lot of the franchise players do?

Reply #479389 | Report this post

sage  
Years ago

Who Is comparing a 24 year old Harden who has not even come close to reaching his peak/potential to Kobe?.

Reply #479397 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Patty should quit the NBA and come and play the United way

Reply #479409 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Everyone keeps saying that Patty is best off the bench so does anyone here believe that should be his role for the national team with Delly and Exum/Goulding/Newley starting ?

Well done to Patty and I hope he gets a big pay day soon... Maybe a 2 year deal with with option for 3rd and stay with Spurs and see how much Parker regresses and if he is still getting Mills' minutes then ask for a trade perhaps ?

Reply #479410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You haven't heard the discussions about who's the best sg in the league? Is kobe, wade, harden etc.

Reply #479415 | Report this post

sage  
Years ago

Both Kobe and Wade are on the downside while harden will just keep on improving.

Reply #479416 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Proud I guess you haven't watched the national team where he has came off the bench a lot haha

Reply #479423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey he hasn't come off the bench for a long long time.

Reply #479459 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Patty is a great bench spark at NBA level but should be a starter for the boomers for years to come.

Reply #479461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe's on the downslide yet his last years stats are better than hardens last year.

Plus harden will never make all defensive teams.

Reply #479494 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Pray for Patty.

Reply #479646 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754