Anonymous
Years ago

Isaac Humphries leaving the AIS

AUSA Hoops just broke the news that Humphries will attend an American high school rather than the AIS.

Topic #34701 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Yep - he is headed to US High School to La Lumiere. He is taking the same path as Ben Simmons and thon Maker - both who are destined for the NBA.

Reply #479419 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Good move....better exposure if he wants to head to a big college program.

AIS is more a a mid-major breeding ground.

Reply #479422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will excel academically at a US high school, very smart kid.

Reply #479427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RIP U18 NSW Metro basketball

Reply #479429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not the only one heading over.... That will get you all thinking….

Reply #479432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

???????? who else

Reply #479435 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

There will be a handful of other Aussies heading over to US High School - they want to do everything they can in making a good D1 school and ultimately make the NBA.

Hard to argue the path that Simmons, Maker, Bolden and Pinder are taking. They are getting hype.

Reply #479440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The C of E program is reducing big time in the next few weeks both boys and girls. All headed to college. But that leaves more spots for others. And to the poster who said goodbye un18 nsw, a team should not be made on one player alone. No matter how big they may be.
The biggest issue I see with this exodus of athletes is the coming un19 worlds, will these players still be included even though they will not be available for qualifiers, tours or training camps. And if they are is that fare on those who make themselves available, some of these athletes who are off to college are very likely to spend the first yr sitting on the bench, whilst those athletes who stay in Australia will still be playing . Be interesting to see what happens.

Reply #479441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"All" headed to college? So they will be offering another 8ish scholarships in the coming weeks?

Reply #479443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

441 - Finally someone who is looking at the bigger picture and has some perspective and common sense.... More responses from you please….

Reply #479444 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

Name me one of those guys that are in US high school programs that have come back and played in Aust U17 and U19 teams in recent years? Not one. Some recent maybe's around Maker. But that's all we got so far. Don't hold your breath. Aint no suprise about Humphries - why else did he travel to the US and return just days before the China tour? COE would have known then he was as good as gone.

Reply #479445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, T.

Reply #479447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng Adel has also done well in the HS system over there.

Not sure if you can say Pinder has been a success yet as he is going to JUCO for 2 years before 2 years at Nebraska. Not sure what his grades were in Australia before he left but going the JUCO route is hardly a success, although if he works hard could turn it into one.

Reply #479448 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Pinder going to JUCO due to grades etc, bit because of talent.

Reply #479450 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Please let's not throw around the words 'success' and 'making it' or the 'NBA' like these kids are nothing if they don't get to such a lofty level.

Success for the individual could be 4 years of college and returning to play SEABL or a BigV level equivalant. Or maybe just going to college for the experience!

Not every kid in our top 10 or 20 each year wants to be an elite sportsman all their lives, they are being recognised as talented basketball players with the most potential in the country, of course that is clear.

Each one however is an individual and sometimes I read that we tend to throw a blanket around them all and label them unfairly.

Not criticising any post in particular here, just saying that we also need to remember they are high school kids with bright futures if they want to go that path and have the drive they need to do so, but it is also okay if they don't...

Reply #479455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here Here Bear...… Idolising serves no purpose, respecting players whatever path they take and appreciating them for what they do when they get there is much more appropriate.. I idolise those who are humble in success at whatever level. School ball, Club, College or NBA….. Plenty that had the skill but chose a different path, perhaps to be a Dr as one 3 point sharp shooter I recall has done…. Respect for him…..

Reply #479456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dumb move. Dante Exum will be a top 5 pick in the draft out of AIS. After Bogut, Oglivy, Delly, Mills, Baynes, etc the AIS story is out...It's not just St Marys recruiting there any more. American High Schools offer (slightly) better exposure, but significantly worse training and coaching. Quite frankly, the AIS structure is an athletics oriented professional environment - it would be downright illegal for a US school to operate in that manner for a host of reasons.

Reply #479464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He's not the only one heading over.... That will get you all thinking...."

I assume you meant AIS guys going over for high school (not college which Krebs and Martin have already signed up for)

I was thinking these following players (from the current AIS mens group) would benefit greatly with the direct exposure in the US high school system now to improve the caliber of colleges looking to recruit them and thus future opportunities..

Jack McVeigh 1996 - great size and potential, would only have 1 season/year at high school but would definitely improve the caliber of colleges looking to recruit him, as they should be

Dejan Vasiljevic 1997 - would really benefit from the consistently higher level of competition as well as learn to play at a faster pace and greater defensive pressure on ball handler.

Xavier Cooks 1995 - he hasn't signed for a college yet (as far as I know/could find) but he is born in 1995 which means he has limited high school time (but could go to a special prep school). His late bloom to 6'8 and his consistently great results in SEABL games mark him as a player who would benefit

In future years, I would see Deng Gak also go to High school in the US, his size and mobility are going to be in demand big time once he has developed a bit more as well as benefited from learn the game at the CoE.

Reply #479469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry but not all high schools are a good option for basketball standards, now that they have reintroduced the SEABL comp for AIS kids , that and their Aus camp training and playing with an entire team who can play has got to be better than playing a mediocre comp in a team with limited players, unless of course they need the subjects for college because let's face it AIS do t exactly focus on education being a priority.

Reply #479481 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If you want to attena major College the extra exposure from the US high school & AAU system is often the difference.

A number of colleges look closley at AIS/CoE however they are often Mid-majors...you'll find the top end talents that wish to hit a big college are often advised to get at least a senior year of high school ball to get the exposure. Hence the recent trend of the high level juniors making the jump.

Reply #479486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So doing a bit of research, the school he chose is clearly a very good academic school, and the AIS is pretty much useless helping these kids academically..

It's likely he's chosen it because it'll help his academics while getting really good exposure for basketball, as opposed to the AIS not helping academically and also not being that great in regards to exposure to D1 schools outside of the usual St Mary's and Boise State's of the world

Reply #479530 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

I find it humorous that there is now a supposed connection between having to attend high school in he USA in order to gain exposure to a major college.

Reply #479590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loads Men and Women from SA from various clubs in college that went straight from High School here. You just don't here about all of them if they are not in the Hoops Limelight and Appreciation Clubs .... but still good enough to gain positions and some scouted to attend some pretty good colleges…

Reply #479593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good move! more kids need to do this, no exposure in Australia

Reply #479615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL, sure anon. Name the last SA boy to go to a MAJOR college program straight from here.

Reply #479629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Major been schools that will compete in March??? Or major been any and every D1 school? A few SA kids at D1 schools, but none looking to progress through to the tournament.... Hooley and Maynard are too that have had material impact on their programs.....

Reply #479640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Major schools usually means one of the decent schools in a big conference - and that is how I am reading it in this thread.
The last local I can think of is Schensher at GT.

Hooley/Maynard etc are all at comparitively smaller D1 schools.

Reply #479643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what or who are the major school and in what conference do they play?

Reply #479677 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Good luck to Isaac, hope it all works well for him. Would hate to see a kid with a great potential disappear off the radar.

I just don't understand all this hype about a"major" college. Does playing for a major college mean a free ride to the big league? I'd say no. There are many examples of various pathways and individual goals, so some statements in this thread are very prescriptive and not really founded on has happened in the past 5-10 years:

1. better level of competition in the US HS system - so I guess the poster is saying that HS games are more competitive than SEABL or BigV Champ or YL. I would not say so. Our U17 boys came recently from China where they beat an US team made of recent college graduates, which may or may not be a real reflection of their strength, but says something about our kids. All CoE kids play SEABL and some others on the U17 team play higher levels of competition than I would say is the US HS.

Going through the US HS system has definitely one advantage - exposure, but if a player is great, he/she will be definitely be noticed, especially playing in international tournaments - worlds, Adidas nations, Nike tournaments, camps. Personally I would not trade an opportunity to go through a well established program, headed by the Boomers coach, represent my country in the worlds and have all that experience for a year or maybe 2 in HS with a dream to lend a big time college.

2. academic standing - this is rather debatable. Those that state that AIS does not provide enough support should visit the Institute and talk to people over there to understand level of academic support these kids receive. Or talk to the kids, some are doing really well. Even Isaac - it is my understanding that he has been receiving lots of support although he is not attending Lake G. I've been in education for the past 30 years and it's been always up to kids whether they will make it. I don't think that someone who dreams of playing in NBA will be highly motivated to study hard. I'd rather say there are examples in the States (we heard of one very recently) where kids came forward and clearly stated they cheated or did nothing yet passed.

Anyway we should give our kids a whole picture and alternative pathways so they may be prepared for whatever comes their way. Our kids should not be living our dreams :)

Reply #479688 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Does anyone know what class he will be going into 2016 or 2017?

Reply #479765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Class of 2016

Reply #479767 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:33 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754