Anonymous
Years ago

Metro 16 State teams

Metro playing country today in warm up for nationals next month. Any early predictions?

Topic #34720 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pain

( Circa -Clubber Lang )

Reply #479712 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Metro boys - 6th to 8th
Country boys 13th
Metro girls 9th
Country girls 11th -12th

Early predictions, but I don't think there will be any parades! We are small and very ordinary.

Reply #479717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That doesn't sound very positive, no hope at all?

Reply #479720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Realistically, Metro boys 6-8 may be a little ambitious.

Reply #479723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro boys coach failed big time last year, this year will be a test. Girls coach been around for a while ans collected a silver last year, unfortunately he hasn't got anywhere near the cattle as the past couple of years. Country have two new head coaches that I haven't heard of before? Any win at nationals for them will be a bonus.
I would say all four teams will end up in the bomb shelter, sad but true!

Reply #479726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro coach did not fail at all last year, it was well known that the group was sub-standard.

Reply #479727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro boys beat country today by 24, not playing their starters much in the second half. Country looked second rate at best. In the girls country beat metro by 9. Not much in this one with both teams struggling to shoot a high percentage. Would have to be the worst metro team in the past 20 years. Metro boys best shot an an SA top 8.

Reply #479729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

S.A Country Girls actually won by 13pts you must have left the building early.

Reply #479735 | Report this post

Sonny  
Years ago

Country girls will struggle! Metro are not great but their coach will get them up to play the big games at nationals. Listened to the female SA Country coach talk during a few time outs. No clue is an understatement. Metro will be better than country when it counts.

Reply #479771 | Report this post

hooper  
Years ago

I was at the trial games between country and metro on the weekend. To continue on from 'sonnys' post the country girls coach struggled. Just seemed to yell a lot at the girls and there wasn't any clear direction from her at all and certainly too much negativity. If this is what they will get from her during the nationals, then I wouldn't expect good results from them.

Reply #479797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was anyone else at the game? How were the boys? This group wasn't great at u14 nationals from memory. Will they be better than last years 9th & 11th?

Reply #479814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#479726, I think you'll find the girls coach is different than last year. Not sure the new coach is of the same calibre but will have a chance to prove otherwise in a few weeks.

Reply #479823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Country girls coach just yelled non stop! I was at the game and the girls were clearly confused? There was not one positive comment at all. There was a player in tears at one point after being subbed out for not catching a pass. I understand that a few of the Country parents aren't happy with the continual tone and attitude of the coach. The girls are already set to fail and scared to make a mistake. I wouldn't allow my daughter to be coached by this person. The Metro coach is extremely positive and always talking to the girls along with the assistant coaches. Good atmosphere creates good performance!

Reply #479829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol, lol, lol You know the sad thing about this, I am gathering this is a S.A person listening to what the coaches are saying for maybe one session and how the girls or boys are playing over one game. I am also going to assume you are an Adult, although grown up,? May be debatable !!!...So I will try and be the grown up here for one second, by saying.. both of these girls teams are South Australian, as are the boys, and here we get some pathetic troll monger, sprouting off their form of venom and predictions about 15 year olds and their coaches, you must feel so important now.. (guess you know what injuries everyone was carrying to??)... well I hope whomever you are, when you take your next loooooong look in the mirror, hope you see the spiteful, negative, ugly mouthed little person/people you are.
Yes you may have your Opinion but keep it to yourself in future. Didnt you parents ever teach you, if you dont have anything nice to say, maybe keep it to yourself??

To all the South Australian Kids, Country, or City. Yes we enjoy a bit of rivalry amongst each other for sure, but you all go out there play your best and prove this persons opinion unimportant in your lives, Good Luck in Geelong and GO South.Australia..

Reply #479830 | Report this post

Caz 91  
Years ago

The only troll is the coach being talked about. Coaches are role models, act like one!

Reply #479855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummmmm.... how do u explain why the coach in question has had so many kids from her small town go on to represent australia, play in national leagues and/or high level college hoops? More elite kids have come out of her small town than the whole of sa.

Reply #479867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was the last nationals result for the coach being discussed?

Reply #479894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"More elite kids have come out of her small town than the whole of sa."

Ummm....no.

Reply #479904 | Report this post

tripple  
Years ago

Going by last years nationals results the SAC girls coach has big shoes to fill!
After watching most of the games at last years nationals I was quite impressed with the girls coach and how he spoke to the girls during the games. Not sure who he was but a bronze and 7-1 win/loss record speaks for itself!!!

Reply #479908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Toddy

Reply #479975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ireland = unproven and very overrated!

Reply #479976 | Report this post

Woooo  
Years ago

ACT ftw

Reply #479985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like her daughters umpiring skills

Reply #479999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAC girls team could be much better if TI picked the best players/team available. I'm not an SAC person, but it amazes me how a player who is picked for the allstar 5 team at a TI camp, and is obviously one of the top 10 players in the state in that age group (metro or country) is only picked as a reserve for the country cup team, and is told there is no point trying out for the SAC team because she was only a reserve for the country champs team. Maybe if the selection pannel picked the best team available instead of the players that follow the coaches as they bounce from club to club they would be succesful. As it is, SAC will come nowhere close to SAM in the girls this year. Shame really.

Reply #480007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA sounds messy, no wonder they aren't competitive.

Reply #480019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ireland's coaching is appauling at any level above U12. Very limited knowledge when selecting kids then preparing them for a big tournament like this.

Reply #480027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trudy Ireland picked players for personal reasons not talent. Unfortunately she overlooked several players that would have walked into this team with any other coach at the helm. One has moved to the metro for next year and others have quit altogether. I hope her assistant coaches can coach, they will need it!

Reply #480087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leave Trudy alone, done a great job and is a good coach, people rave on about, she yells , makes people upset etc etc, obviously you or your kids were never good enough to be coached by Neil Gliddon or Ian Laurie, they yelled if you missed a lay up in warm ups. So leave her alone and let her do her job. You know you do not deserve to wear the state colours straight off the bat, it isn't something that you are entitled to, you have to work hard to wear the colours regardless of wether is is Metro or Country, and the coaches need to be better and more into it as well, it is not like playing on a Friday night, the intensity is way beyond that. you obviosly would not know, probably play or played a div 4 or 5 grade growing up, took up umpiring because you were terrible and now think you are an expert on everything. grow up and leave people alone you tossa

Reply #480447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised the SAC coach is copping this all when THEY WON THE GAME??? What is going on with Metro if Country are supposedly so bad & still beating them by double figures?

Reply #480485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to both of the teams, will be tough at the championships!

Reply #480493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait until the nationals. Trudy Ireland is a coach that has picked a team to appease the parents and her own area. Result will tell.

Reply #480503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Trudy

Reply #480520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the boys teams then? Can either do well?

Reply #480528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The metro team looks pretty good and would be aiming for a top 5 finish. Depends on their 2 big guns fire - look out for the Sudanese kid and the tough little centrals guard!!!

Country will be OK. Not far behind metro. Would be better but for an injury to a key player.

Reply #480529 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

The last time SAM picked a 3 point wizz they finished behind SAC.

Reply #480530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was that last year?

Did I hear right that both SAC & SAM have had knee injuries to one of their better kids?

Do either team have size? Seems to hold a lot of SA teams back.

Reply #480548 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:56 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754