Hero Dad
Years ago

Why such hate towards Forestville

Im new to this just started watching the CABL kids started with Forestville this year U10 & U12 i once played for SA Church then North many many years ago.
Why all the hate towards the Eagles have they done something wrong or is it jealousy? A genuine question.
I love going to watch the games close up great for me and the kids.

Topic #34721 | Report this topic

Well Read  
Years ago

I'll bite.

Forestville and Sturt in particular cop a fair amount, although the are not-so-friendly rivalries extend across all the metro SA clubs, usually spurred on by trolls or bitter individuals with an inflated sense of entitlement.

That is to say: there isn't a whole lot of substance behind the plethora of hate out there.

Reply #479755 | Report this post

Hero Dad  
Years ago

Thanks

Reply #479757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably cause they have the arrogance of Sturt but the results of Forestville.

Reply #479759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No interest in turning this into a legit conversation but seriously there's no jealously.

Just annoyance that they've been given a leg up over every other club by BSA providing facilities and revenue raising streams that no other club has access to.

Probably one of a few reasons right there.

Reply #479766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Successful club, Good coaches, Good admin = hate from those looking in

Reply #479770 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Probably cause they have the arrogance of Sturt but the results of Forestville.

You say that as if Forestville aren't equally as successful.

Or are girls not considered to be as important as boys?

ABA championships the last 10 years means nothing?

Clueless anonymous is clueless. Forestville and Sturt are both great clubs, people don't like them for the same reason people don't like Sturt/Norwood in SANFL, or Adelaide Crows in AFL. People don't like what they perceive to be the "rich". Tall poppy syndrome and all that.

Reply #479773 | Report this post

Hero Dad  
Years ago

Forestville seem to be really well run with a lot of committed volunteers. (Im sure all clubs gave them as well) I would think they should be successful the Junior development seems really important.
Mr/Mrs anonymous i opened this up as a legit conversation because i did not know why there seemed to be so much hatred and possibly resentment to the mens ladies and even the juniors in the posts i have seen.
Thanks for the input.

Reply #479774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except their junior program hasn't been that successful.

Between 2006 and 2014 Forestville have achieved 2 medals at classics. In the same period Sturt have achieved 15 medals including 4 gold medals.

Reply #479777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and Sturt have been State Champion club for 12 of the last 14 years. Forestville just one.

Just saying. The numbers don't back up your claims.

Reply #479780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since 2003 Forestville have won CABL 11 times men and women , no other club comes close .. Just saying

Reply #479786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AND THERE IT IS ...……………… Sayin no more….

Reply #479787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won? Or bought from the fees paid by juniors?

Reply #479788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or by the profits of BSA running all finals and tournaments there giving Forestville the highest level of bar and canteen profit.

Reply #479789 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Except their junior program hasn't been that successful.

Might want to check this link out:
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-4010-0-0-0&sID=131610&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=29730381

Reserve Champion Girls Club: Forestville Eagles
Reserve Champion Boys Club: Forestville Eagles
Reserve Champion Club: Forestville Eagles
State Champion Girls Club: Forestville Eagles

Again, are girls just not considered as important as boys?

CABL last 14 years:
Men: 5x champions
Women: 6x champions

Some of you anonymous posters are a bunch of incompetent fools, jeesh.

Reply #479793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And how did those Teams do at classics against real opposition?

Reply #479798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that it's more aba coaches that are hated rather than the club itself. Unscrupulous pair.

Reply #479799 | Report this post

Wow  
Years ago

In what regard..Hope you have specifics...!

Reply #479806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Reserve Champion Girls Club: Forestville Eagles
Reserve Champion Boys Club: Forestville Eagles
Reserve Champion Club: Forestville Eagles
State Champion Girls Club: Forestville Eagles

Again, are girls just not considered as important as boys? '

THATS JUST ONE YEAR - AND YET COULD NOT SECURE CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP !!!!! Why did another club manage to do that... Was it a holistic program across the board for all members or the elite.

Seriously need to have a better argument than that..

Elitism, nepatism, priorities, pushing the boundaries of rules and link to BSA is the issue some have with the club. That is not to say that there are not pockets of great people and players and it is all about the kids after all. No one is knocking them, just higher political issues that have a knock on effect to other clubs so ignore the haters of all clubs and just enjoy it with your kids. If at some point you no longer like it, then move to another club. Simple..

Reply #479807 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hero Dad, don't confuse hate with cynicism. There's certainly no jealousy.

The thing that irks most people is the rule bending at ABA level. Putting a player on a scorecard when they are not even in the state just to qualify them, playing a player for 4 secs in a games, playing minimal time in minimal games just to qualify them for finals. While it is "within the rules", I don't believe it is within the spirit of competition and sportsmanship, and certainly a slap in the face for those loyal players who just their guts during the minor round to be shafted in the final series.

Having said that, it was good to see Forestville actually give more court time to their stars last round. They should play as a regular team player. That would inspire both their teammates and their opponents. A level of cynicism is created when players strut around the stadium pre-game, take court for a play, sub out and then spend the rest of the game munching apples at the end of the bench.

On the junior and club level, Forestville will always have an advantage over other clubs while it is the (sole) resident at the "official" BSA stadium of Wayville. As other posters have pointed out, having other non-Forestville games there means that they have access to greater fundraising opportunities with the canteen (yes, I know it is staffed by volunteers as well) You don't see too many games not involving Southern at Morphett Vale or Centrals at Starplex, and never any non-Mavs games at Mt Barker, yet we regularly see games involving non-Foretsville teams at Wayville.

In addition, it has been argued in the past that the scheduling is slanted towards Forestville. One example of this is in Summer season with 13 games. Forestville Div 1 always seem to have 7 home games and 6 away games, with the Div 2s playing the other Forestville team. Whereas clubs like Southern, Centrals and Mavs always seem to have 6 away and 7 home games and typically away games at the other stadiums so travel is an issue.

I can speak from experience that I coached a game at Wayville where Forestville were the "away" team!

Being the most central of all clubs, it is natural they attract more players. You would be more likely to head towards the city rather than away from the city.

Reply #479808 | Report this post

Rules  
Years ago

Not sure what rules have been bent, actually I am, none have been.

Would be interested to understand what spirit the rules were written in..I assume you were there when they were written given you know the Eagles aren't playing within the spirit of them..

Interesting that you haven't called out Sturt for playing Marino for 59 seconds on Saturday, Woodville for playing Starling for 4 seconds earlier this season, Norwood for playing Foley 4 seconds this season or North playing Petrie for 5 seconds last season.

Also interesting that Sturt played 2 imports in the womens team on Saturday night..

Reply #479809 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The qualifying games rules for finals occurs in most sports.

Regardless of the team, I think you are either part of the team, or not part of the team.

Reply #479811 | Report this post

Rules  
Years ago

So if you qualify you would be part of the team..

Noticed you chose to ignore the other examples.....

Reply #479815 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I haven't ignored anything.

Reply #479816 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Forestville have been the overwhelming dominant club for girls for several years, Sturt has been the overwhelming dominant club for boys for several years.

At CABL level both have done better then the rest, apart from Norwood/Woodville/North in sporadic occasions.

If you're trying to push this whole "Sturt > Forestville" spiel, you can forget about it.

People are going to hate Forestville and Sturt, they're the bigger clubs with better venues, more money and more influence. Haters gonna hate.

Tall poppy syndrome is the theme of the topic!

Reply #479820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET you just made everyone's point for them "better venues" thanks to BSA providing them.

Reply #479856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RULES - MARINO IS COMING BACK FROM AN INJURED FOOT SO NOT IN THE SAME CATEGORY AS THE ISSUE RAISED.

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT......

Reply #479858 | Report this post

Facts  
Years ago

I think you will find Gibson is in the same boat..Perhaps some facts from your perspective may also be useful..

Reply #479866 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Jack,

How many U23 games are played at Wayville????

Reply #479875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET

Sturt have won Overall Champion Club 13 of the last 15 years and have won Champion Girl club in 2011. Forestville have won Overall Champion Club just once and never the boys.

Reply #479877 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think you know the answer Annon.

Reply #479881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Facts - you are talking to a different person.. Stop assuming

Reply #479888 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

have won Champion Girl club in 2011.

If going back to 2011 - and singling it out - for winning the girls is your argument, you're not making a very good one. Out of interest, for the other years who has been the champion girls club? Hmm??!

Should also point out, in the state champs weekend, you get points for being runner-up (ie, losing). I think Forestville and Centrals get to brag about this year, it was pretty successful from a winning perspective.

If you can't admit Forestville are the girls powerhouse and Sturt are the boys powerhouse, then we aren't going to gain anything from the conversation. They're both incredibly good sides historically and now.

KET you just made everyone's point for them "better venues" thanks to BSA providing them.

People hate the clubs who have the better venues, duh. Hey, what about Centrals? They have a damn good stadium too. Too far away maybe? Time to hate Sturt and Forestville for being in a central location?

Come on get yourself together. Showgrounds is clearly a pretty central ideal location, Forestville happens to be the club. BSA will want to have teams playing in the best stadium more than the poor stadiums, if that's Wayville, so be it.

Sturt is a good side, Forestville is a good side, if you don't believe Forestville is a good side, then you're living in a fantasy land while these clubs hoist trophy after trophy after trophy.

Tall poppy syndrome.

Reply #479890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET they pay more for limited access have no bar or canteen revenue. Get no BSA customers through events or full usage by BSA.

Understand something about the inequity before joining the argument.

Or just accept that forestville get a sweet deal in regards to wayville. Added revenue = extra resources other clubs can't afford. Venue they use to recruit when they do nothing to earn it.

Is what it is and I accept that. Why can't you?

Reply #479900 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You don't like what BSA do, therefore you don't like Forestville. Right.

Let's see Anon's history:

Reaction is to blindly pretend Forestville isn't a successful club in their results. Because girls basketball is irrelevant and can't be used as an argument...that is, unless it's 2011. Then it's used as an argument because Forestville didn't win.

Rightio.

State Champs isn't relevant ofcourse, unless you're talking about the club who had an 'overall win' - with one/two actual state champs win, and the rest runnerups. Forestville winning 5/6 of the finals? Irrelvant of course.

Okie Dokie.

CABL championships? If Forestville wins, of course it's irrelevant. Sturt wins? Shit, suddenly it will probably be relevant.

Sure, why not.

Forestville do have a sweet deal (yeah, no kidding!!!! Nobody ever denied that, fact of life etc.): Great location, access to major portion of population and lots and lots of winning basketball.

You want events and canteens and bars and all the fancy stuff? You need better stadiums elsewhere. Does BSA have money for that? No. So who controls the purses? The State Government. *MIND BLOWN*

Understand something about the inequity before joining the argument.

That's cute, playing the "you have no clue" game. You know what's more constructive than acting like the stereotypical Adelaide pissant? Understanding the situation and then reacting in a measured and intelligent way.

I'm a Forestville, Sturt and Norwood man in my time, I can pretty easily admit when each are better than the other.

TLDR; Tall poppy syndrome, total care factor towards complainant who has no intention of being reasonable whatsoever? Zero. Nada.
If you excuse me, I need to go and see if my pool of money, er... I mean if my Forestville side, is winning.

Reply #479905 | Report this post

Rjc  
Years ago

AH,Love hearing from the Ket?
Short for Ketamine.
Which ,when abused, causes
•severe confusion;
•hallucinations;
•unusual thoughts; or
•extreme fear.
extreme salivation.
pissant

Reply #479906 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Funny KET, but on the money.
Cheers

Reply #479911 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

...I am now feeling really sorry for HERO DAD who posted this in all innocence.

Really DAD, you have joined a great club,please support and enjoy your child's journey there.

For others, I am not a Forestville person.

Reply #479913 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

AH,Love hearing from the Ket?
Short for Ketamine.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but "Ket" is not correct. My username is capitalised as "KET", meaning it's an acronym for three words (of yet I am which to figure out yet), not a reference to any single word.

But cheers on the ever so useful contribution regardless.

Reply #479919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KETs inferiority complex towards Sturt shows why they are not on the same level. It's funny that you assume all the posts are from a Sturt perspective - particularly the "venue" related ones which clearly can be made from any other club (and far more likely a South/North/Woodville type than a Sturt one).

It's pretty funny that such a successful club still has a severe case of "little brother" syndrome.

Reply #479944 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

K eith
E ward
T homas

K eeping
E verything
T ogether

K arnt
E ven
T ype

Reply #479950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm one of a number of anons in this thread.

I don't hate Forestville. I don't even dislike them. I would just appreciate some humility and understanding that no other club has the perks afforded to them that Forestville receives from Basketball SA.

Is that too much to ask?

Reply #479956 | Report this post

Rjc  
Years ago

Oh yes .I forgot.
Kets Loyalty.

I'm a Forestville, Sturt and Norwood man in my time

wtf.

Reply #479957 | Report this post

Hero Dad  
Years ago

Thanks Rock
Dont feel for me im 40yrs old i got what i was after a few answers. Will gave a good read of all comments when i get home tonight.
I am enjoying the read.

Thanks to all good and bad for the input

Reply #479969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is simple, ABL LEVEL THEY CHEAT!, you can't tell me that with Gibson, import and borego they are under the sal cap? Gibson and import alone would be pulling in a good $1000 a game between them.....everyone says andy is a great coach, 3peat and all this shit! No, he's has the money to throw around and the league won't do shit about it. Basketball sa are weak. Even Doyle said he's a dick! He doesn't give a crap about those guys just himself!
And just while I'm on it Gibson would have to be the dumbest player ever...few weeks after surgery he's playing state league, physio said no more than 18mins, andy plays him 35+ back to back....he's gonna stuff his foot! As I said they are throwing him some coin to play.

Hey andy lebron mite b looking for a game...hit him up, why not hey, you prob already have

Reply #480655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lose tonight did you

Reply #480656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone asked "why not?"

Reply #480657 | Report this post

3peat  
Years ago

as usual someone with sour grapes that knows no facts what so ever..

Cadee & DJ anyone..

Reply #480669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee gone ! ! ! read something more than hoops ...

Reply #480676 | Report this post

Hero Dad  
Years ago

I was at the game and i think Forestville had a great win with the men. The ladies just lost. I really enjoyed both games.
Go Eagles!!

I love all the input
And Al Green was on the bench no doubt thats bad as well??

I guess winners are grinners

I don't think Gibson can win either he doesn't play more than 2 seconds hes a cheat then he does play and he shouldnt.

Reply #481281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#644 don't know what your problem is with Andy. I coach in the same junior division as him. I I am young and relatively inexperienced coach, and he is always happy to chat with me after and before games, talk hoops and strategy etc. definetly not characteristics of some one who only cares about themselves! Helping a young coach get better, in a league that he coaches in himself

Reply #481294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 665 clearly you have no idea
Fact 1 Andy strives for success
Fact 2 Andy's love is basketball and to develop juniors his passion
Fact 3 Andy bleeds Forestville
Fact 4 your comments about Doyle, Gibbo and $1000 per game proves you have no knowledge of Andy, Gibbo or Forestville therefore your comments are ill informed and frankly sad as you may have deeper issues you need to address

Reply #481309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hero Dad .. Al green will bring passion and knowledge to the program and may help get the eagles another title this year

Reply #481310 | Report this post

Hero Dad  
Years ago

I think having Al Green is great. The first CABL game i saw was eagles vs woodville this year at wayville. Saw Al as the coach and thought how awesome is this i was like an excited kid.
Anon time 22:19 i like your post

I wish there were not do many anons

Reply #481317 | Report this post

Hero Dad  
Years ago

*so many

Reply #481318 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hero Dad, Al Green is very passionate about his basketball.

Didn't he dunk over Cecil Exum once? No, my bad, no-one has dunked over Cecil Exum.

Reply #481319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is happening in Forestville 12 boys then. One of the most important Junior years establishing good skills, team and court sense. Teams with players that have come from successful teams.

Reply #481322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to laugh at Andy's junior record ! He coaches for his own kid and nothing else , and lost 2 state players from his team with more to leave at end of season I'm hearing

Reply #481348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We were at Forestville for a short time and noticed there was automatic entry for children of their elite historically or current. I might add it appeared to be at the expense of other talented kids and the teams success. We saw nepatism outside of those mentioned here too and the reason we left and others we know too. The new club we are at has had a lot of interest from disheartend players some who have made the move and their friends are about to follow. It is all about inclusiveness and respect. whilst other clubs are not perfect, you need to look after all teams and players. i would never ever go back to Forestville. I feel sorry for the kids we left behind and see them disheartened this season and no lessons learnt. Nepatism is the problem....

Reply #481353 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:10 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754