CHOOK
Years ago

u16 Nationals

So with u16 nationals less than 2 weeks away what does everyone think is likely to happen? Who are the standout athletes for both genders? Who will be the surprise teams? How do we truly know considering it is u16s and the majority have never been to a nationals before?

In the girls;

Going off country cup, SAC will be strong again.

I think NSWC might drop off a little bit (based on country cup) but they do have a couple of flat out hoopers.

VICM are always title contenders and have won approx 20 in a row for a reason.

Supposedly NSWM are legit this year?

In the boys;

SAC got the gold at country cup.

VICM and NSWM have dominated recently.

How will Tassie go with the change of head coaches and probably a change of focus/direction state wide?

Topic #34733 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

ACT girls will go ok, probably top 6 and will upset a few, will have the height to upset quite a few with the exception of Vic Metro.

They are much the same group who has been playing together for years at Nationals and the Classic so have that advantage as well.

Reply #479886 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Are they the same group that went to the u16 classic this year?

Reply #479893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm guessing so unless they have a stash of girls hidden somewhere.

Reply #479895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chook, honestly the country cup competition is world's away from a nationals. If SAC or NSWC make the top 8 I would be very surprised.

Reply #479896 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Your right, the country cup is a long way off from nationals, however, it is probably the best possible indicator of how good the country teams will be.

Reply #479898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CHOOK, no it really isn't. SAC girls will really, really struggle.

Reply #479903 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

I've also heard NSWM will be very strong this time round.
My prediction would be 4th.

Reply #479909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chook, in response to your original post (on the boys' side):

- SAC got the gold at Country Cup but are missing a significant piece, and the two NSW teams went through pool play undefeated. NSWC definitely the strongest Country group out there

- VICM and NSWM both to go top 4. Despite coming out of same original pool it wouldn't be surprising to see them meet again for gold.

- A decent but not outstanding Tassie age group and the changeover seems to have hurt them badly at u18 level. They're in a very weak pool, though, and should beat WAC and SAC, with real chances to also beat ACT and QLDN.

Reply #479912 | Report this post

Hoops Packer  
Years ago

SA country girls will do ok! Boys won't. SA will be better on the metro boys then country. In saying that. The SAC boys are mostly first years so watch this space. Still won't be able to compete with NSW and VIC metro tho.

Reply #479915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see there is another Froling on the way for Qld North

Reply #479921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep and a Dalton in QldM boys . Mark Daltons son.

Reply #479927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both first year kids too!

Reply #479930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAC boys have 2 first year player's ??? They are bad bad bad !

Reply #479932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why did they do so well in Ballarat?

Reply #479933 | Report this post

Hiami Meat  
Years ago

Ballarat? Please explain? This years SAC team is 80% top age boys, that aren't very good! SAM is average, but look like the dream team compared to country.

Reply #479980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will ausa hoops have coverage of the games?

Reply #479982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AUS BBALL Prospects will have coverage of the tournament on the AUSA Hoops site!

Reply #480000 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

Sac girls have a tough pool and draw with Vic metro up front followed by a double header but they are clearly a top 4 contender and equally matched or slightly ahead of SAM girls .

Reply #480752 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:02 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754