WhatsThaBuzz
Years ago

What is going on at Norwood

Checking out Norwood and speaking to a few people at the club it looks things are finally getting active out there. They got a new Pres and committee, who seem pretty fired (excuse the pub) up, with some basketball nouse on the committee, a junior operations group separate to the committee to focus on basketball operational issues and a new coaching director. Looking at the website they have clinics with Joey Wright and some decent holiday clinics. Beating other clubs to and advertising for coaches and trials early which often means a club is planning ahead.

Are they finally getting things happening or what?? How long do people think it will take before the junior program out there begins to turn the tide??

Thoughts?

Topic #34741 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Willie Janette as Coaching Director/JDO, theres no chance of that!

Reply #479978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ditto the above!

Tigers going to pay the price for his incompetence, he is the main reason the girls programme is an absolute mess

Reply #479983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely things can't head more southward? It can't get worse? A change of President, Committee, Coaching Director, Coaches can only be good - Surely?

Reply #479984 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

if you are going to slag the bloke at least get his name right

Reply #479991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And a new stadium on the way! Things are looking up!!

Reply #479992 | Report this post

rhea93  
Years ago

The funniest thing about this post is that it's blatantly obvious it was written by someone from within the club. If advertising like this on Hoops is what you've had to resort to, things are far from rosy.

Talking to people I know who have children at the club, I know at least two families who are on the move out of there at season's end. No direction from the new coaching director, and sub-standard coaches.

Reply #479994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I understand, the coaching director position is a bit of a "lame duck" - he has no real power, all the decisions are decided by some other committee, including coaching appointments!! No wonder it took so long to fill the position...

Reply #479996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like some posters didn't get a coaching job.

Reply #479997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a lame duck, good at chatting with parents and filling his bank account with your money

Reply #479998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

997, how on Earth did you get that idea?

Reply #480001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

996, but is that other committee made up of knowledgeable basketball people? My understanding is that it's not.

Reply #480002 | Report this post

Ohplease  
Years ago

Whether you are on the inside of Norwood, or looking in from the outside, nothing has changed. This post was a blatant propaganda trip from someone at Norwood. In a year, we will see the same attitudes, the same lack of direction and pray that some with basketball smarts actually get in and the drift wood move on.

Reply #480021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood CD poached two kids quite openly from Sturt and Mavs in the 16 girls. They have a group of country coaches who came from Centrals that destroyed the girls program there in taking any country player with them. Norwood have always been about the quick fix, not prepared to work on their own kids.

Reply #480028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone that goes with willie has rocks in their heads

Reply #480030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see lots of mud been thrown at Willie here but nothing of substance!! Seems to me like someone has an axe to grind.

Reply #480033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rhea93 I have to agree with your comments and I am sure there are more than two families leaving the club at the end of the winter season.

I believe the word coming out of some is disfunctional!

Reply #480048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

002 - from what I have heard, you are probably somewhat right. Maybe some basketball experience (well Norwood experience) there, but clearly lacking in modern JUNIOR basketball knowledge. Hence why the poor bloke for mine is in a no-win situation.
Heard the job was offered to someone else first (who would have been excellent in the role IMO), and once the "conditions" were spelled out for him, he couldn't decline it quick enough.
And the fact that someone at Norwood thought this would be a good post/thread is quite sad really, and hurts the club and it's image.

Reply #480059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The previous DO Mike Rogers was not great for the club in that role, at least Willie gets back to you when you call him!

Reply #480084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shut up Simon ! No one cares what you think !!

Reply #480133 | Report this post

WhatsThaBuzz  
Years ago

I can assure you I am not a Norwood person! Just interested to hear what people's thoughts were. Clearly the prevailing view from anonymous experts is that the club will continue to slide.

Reply #480134 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754