Hansel
Years ago

LeBron James opts out

According to Chris Broussard he has opted out.

This is likely to put more pressure on the Heat to bring in more talent to support James. Wouldn't consider this a "Decision 2.0" just yet...

Topic #34745 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if it's reported by Broussard we can safely say Lebron has taken his option to stay

Reply #480038 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LeBron James' agent Rich Paul has informed the Miami Heat that the four-time NBA MVP will exercise his early termination option and become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Opting out does not mean that James has decided to leave the Heat, sources said.

James had until June 30 to decide whether to opt out of the final two years of his contract with Miami. He was scheduled to make $20 million next season and had two years and about $42.7 million remaining on his deal.
"I was informed this morning of his intentions. We fully expected LeBron to opt out and exercise his free-agent rights, so this does not come as a surprise," Heat president Pat Riley said in a statement. "As I said at the press conference last week, players have a right to free agency and, when they have these opportunities, the right to explore their options."
Renegotiating with the Heat after talk of Wade taking a reduced package, moving to another powerhouse, or returning to the Cavs?

Part of me thinks Cavs, but how badly did Gilbert burn that bridge?

If he's selfish, are his best bets LA and NY to hit the big markets?

Reply #480039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many teams now trying to be in the hunt for Lebron

Miami
Clips
Lakers
Cavs
Hawks
Houston

Where will he go!

Reply #480043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lakers looking to shed no 7 pick and Nash so they can offer Lebron and Melo a contract.

Reply #480044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say what he really wants is Miami to clean out all the deadwood and bring in a solid supporting cast but can that really be done in 1 off season? If Wade and Bosh exercise their options they will have very little wiggle room to bring in anyone particularly useful.

From a basketball standpoint Houston makes alot of sense. A core of Howard/Harden/Parson/James/Beverly is a contender for the next 4 years at least. Houston are really well managed and always have alot of flexibility.

Clippers would have to completely gut there roster to get him. They would have to move Crawford/Reddick/Jordan and a few smaller contracts. A core of Paul/James/Griffin would be potent but they will still struggle to defend the rim unless they find a way to keep Jordan

Chicago are in the hunt but will James bank on Rose's health?

Cleveland could make sense, the big homecoming would be a huge storyline and would go a long way to restoring him as a world wide fan favourite but do they have the cattle to entice him? Also Dan Gilbert has insulted Lebron at every turn, so bridges may have been burned.

The Lakers are a possibility but they wont be contenders unless they add someone decent at nearly every position.

Miami are the favourites with Houston/LA Clips/Chicago as the main contenders.

Reply #480047 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Do Miami really have that much deadwood? They fell at the final hurdle this year with a big three, Andersen (great roleplayer), Allen (excellent roleplayer, though one dimensional perhaps), Battier (strong roleplayer), Haslem and other useful pieces. Maybe their young guards are a weakpoint, but every team is going to have similar issues.

Allen is apparently going around again. Battier's retired, Andersen sounds like he's leaving? Oden and Beasley hardly did anything and were cheap. Where's the improvement coming?

Reply #480052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clippers are at $73m this season already.

Collison granger and davis appear to be opting out which means more than likely have to move Jordan, Dudley and Barnes. As mentioned above keeping Jordan is preferable but Griffen and Paul are the only
untouchables.

Houston needs a team to take on asik and lins contracts which they believe they can do.

Cavs can clear up about $30m in trades and still have Irving and the number one pick in the draft.

Hawks have the most flexible roster in the league to make the moves but insure to gut roster to make this happen.

Will be interesting to see. I think melo would join the lakers as has stated has to be a big market team but really, cannot see Lebron coming to the purple and gold surely.

Reply #480056 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

If the next story is Bosh and Wade opting out then you can put the house on Lebron re-signing with the Heat. Lebron opting out was the best thing he could do whether he stays in Miami or not.

Uneducated people on my facebook timeline acting like he's quit and is already loading his house into a moving van.

Reply #480060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think every one knew that he was going to opt out no matter what. If wade does opt out then yes you'd think the heat trio will stay. There's no way wade will give up $20m as he will not get close to that elsewhere.

Reply #480063 | Report this post

kason jidd  
Years ago

x 2 alexkrad. An ideal situation for Miami is that Wade and Bosh opt out and then back in on lesser deals to create room for more quality.

I can't see LBJ going to the Knicks or Lakers. He is focussed on winning and he is not going to win championships there.

Likely situation in my view is that he stays in Miami. Why leave a team which has gone to the finals the last 4 times to gamble with another team? Why leave a well run organisation which is known for getting quality pieces to go to a poorly run organisation like Cavs? Like Pat Riley said - all Miami need is a 're-tool' and they will do that in the offseason.

One thing is for sure - LBJ will receive backlash regardless of what he does.

Reply #480064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lakers can be a contender in the next few years if Lebron was to join. Also pending in what Kobe can give when back. Anything like his last full season then definitely. If they can trade Nash and the no 7 pick for someone half decent and sign Lowry for about $9m then they may have a chance.

Plus in two years time sign another max contract (ie Aldridge) you never know.

Reply #480066 | Report this post

shayno  
Years ago

They clearly taking the min and coming to sign for melbourne utd duh!!!!

Reply #480067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO player in the NBA is untouchable in a trade or move if LeBron wants to play for that team. NO player.

Maybe Kobe & KD

Reply #480072 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Woj:

LeBron James will opt-out of deal, source confirms. He's determined to impose pressure on Miami to improve roster and spend, sources say.
So maybe Wade goes from $18-20m to $40m/4yrs and they get Lowry and a few others. That simple?

Someone like Delly would help them a lot off the bench. A smart guard who plays D.

Reply #480095 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

I see it as a good thing for him as a player and as an athlete , keeps his options open & shines a bright light towards his 2 best buddies and possibly reaches out to carmelo if thats his plans

I can see the big three signing on for smaller contracts maybe that 40m/4year deal for all of them?
who knows

the decision 2.0 pending?

Reply #480122 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:06 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754