LeLe
Years ago

Paul Rogers is the Mark Philippoussis of basketbal

There is no point in picking up Rogers again. I see many similarities between him and the 'Poo'.
1. They are frequently injured
2. When they come back from injury they always deliver empty promises about what they can bring to the court.
3. They use stupid cliches like
'I'm training really hard an just playing my game'
'I played, well things just didnt go my way'
4. They never seem to interested whether they are winning or losing.

i think the 6'ers should cut rogers loose and just pick up one the young fellahs from the state league and go with them. Rogers is done. He's not commited to getting himself in the best possible shape to win a championship, whereas a young bloke would be doing all he can to win some PT.

I guess the difference is that the Poo has pulled some serious chicks tho

Topic #3475 | Report this topic

The truth  
Years ago

Thats pretty tuff on Rogers ... You dont win a MVP in the nbl For being an Intrested Player... The only thing kinda the same with the poo is they both tend get injured alot ... Which really isnt Pauls fault... The sixers really need to take a gamble on paul he feels as if he owes us for the way things turned out last time ....

Reply #40177 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

My Bad An UN interested player...

Reply #40178 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Who would you pick up from the ABL that will have any sort of impact both on-court and off-court with ticket sales numbers than Paul Rogers.

While I understand Rogers hasn't been in the public eye while playing in a tough league in Europe, he was still selected by Goorjian as one of the best 12 Australian basketball players for the Olympics.

If there was a 20 year old 7 footer in the ABL with a world of potential then your argument may carry some weight.

Rogers- league MVP, All NBL twice, championship winner, successful NCAA college career, Boomer at past 2 Olympics, etc shows what you can get out of him when injury free.

What is the worst that can happen if he gets injured anyway? You get your wish and we pick up a player from the ABL to become 10th man.

What is there to lose?

Reply #40181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he might have been selected by BG to take to Athens but he didn't see an awful lot of court time was more of a spectator from a good court side seat

Reply #40183 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

I agree with stephon.

Take a gamble on him if he isn't putting himself out of the 6ers market!!

If he has an injury free season, what would his stats be in conjunction with cooper, controlling the paint.

Combine those two with rychart, with maher/farley, and a 4 player deep bench. Would you want to be coaching or even playing against this team. Even if rogers goes down and misses some due to injury, this line up with or without rogers is one worth going to see. you can stiil check out the local players in the div 1 comp and maybe work them into a rotation next season. But at this stage, in my opinion, If the 6ers can get away with rogers, ahead of big fella, why not.

Reply #40185 | Report this post

rogers is only good when he has grace to feed him the ball under the basket. Grace does all the work and rogers finishes it off.

Reply #40187 | Report this post

LeLe  
Years ago

DO not understand that if he gets injured again which he will, you lose all the money which u pay him for the season(s), whereas you pay an abl player not much at all. i dont care if he was MVP playing with ricky grace, grace isnt feeding him the ball in adel, the offense if rigged around the shooting guards, and he struggles without a structured offense. He just sits in the short corner like he did in perth but in adel the ball would be lucky to see 15 sec of play down our end..

Reply #40192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if rogers is philippoussis, who does that make reesy!?!

LeLe what about insurance?

Reply #40194 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Reesy is like Wayne Arthurs.... tries hard, but is just not on the same level.

Reply #40195 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

All right, time to wade into this discussion.

The comments from a lot of you posters really astonishes me in your treatment of the Sixers fraternity - are you fans or foe?

Sure, everyone's entitled to an opinion but many of you don't think first.

I agree that Rogers would be a fantastic pick up who gives more options than Reesy would.
It's not justified in handing Grace the credit for Roger's success. Takes two to tango, which might explain why no other Perth Centre has had such an impact in the same situation. Give credit where it's due.
If Rogers is added then more depth and more options are presented to the team.
You're blind if you don't see that.

Speaking of credit where it's due I think everyone should get off Rees' back - is this the way you treat a great player who has given all for the club?
Rees has achieved many milestones in the NBL, many not with Adelaide. His loyalty to Adelaide has been commendable and his exploits on the court have secured many a win and championship. In hindsight he has been one of Adelaide's true champions and he should go up there with the best of them.

Never has there been a situation where Rees has caused any contoversy for the club and his role in the team over the years has been exceptional.
If the phantom Rogers signing has any depth to it then no doubt Rees would be the first to acknowledge that Rogers would be the better option for the club's success.
Rees has played a fantastic role in the success of Adelaide and should be treated as such.

People's past comments berate both Rogers and Rees and I really don't see why this is necessary. This really is great for the psyche of each individual not to mention the club, isn't it?

Feel free to flame me if you've got a valid point to back yourself up.

Reply #40201 | Report this post

changeyourname  
Years ago

All Rogers is good for is peeling the Oranges at half time for the other players and lacing them with ecstasy so they can run faster.....

Reply #40249 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

perhaps "sexual paul rees" could re emerge to comment!

Reply #40252 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Well said wak

Reesy has proved over and over that he is a class act. He has been prepared over his entire career to play whatever role has been required for the teams he has played for. He hasnt bitched and moaned rather has just gone about doing his bit to help teams win.

As for Rogers, IF he is available he should be considered. The added options having him in the team are huge. Its just up to the coaching staff to decide if he fits in with the personalitys at the club and they see him as worth the risk.

To try and detract from either of these guys careers for whatever reason is just ridiculous as both have made a significnt impact for teams they have played for!

Reply #40257 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

I liken Rees to Longley.

Quickness no
Athelticisim no
Low post moves no
Rebounder half
Shot blocker half

Team Player Yes
Passer Yes
Setting Screens Yes

Championships Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

Reesy is by titles the most succesful NBL centre of all time with 4 rings.

Rogers is a great player of different magnitude and abilities and will bring another element to the squad if he signs.

The team will not be any more succesful with him but it gives us a lot more flexibility within the squad for match ups

Reply #40267 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

So Noti, you're saying that 'the team will not be any more successful with him' but 'more flexibility within the squad for match ups'.
So, with more flex for matchups the sixers will still not be any more successful?
This is a moronic statement!

Reply #40269 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

AT THE VERY WORST PR WOULD BE A VERY EffECTIVE REBOUNDER AND WOUlD BE A LOW PÓsT THREAT!
TO EVEN COMPARE HIM TO THE SCUD Í JUsT PLAIN STUPID!!

sorry for dodgie text computer at WORK ÍS RUNNING ON DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #40388 | Report this post

davo  
Years ago

scud gets mad hot chicks

Reply #40412 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:45 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754