James
Years ago

Australian College Of Basketball

Hey, I'm just wondering what's it like at the Australian College of Basketball?

For example, what are the fees like, how's the program, what are the chances of a US college entry/NBL chance.

Topic #34772 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm yet to see a single player they have produced and aided to college. I could be wrong. It's price tag is huge.

Reply #480549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's so bad, I know 3 or 4 people there/going and they aren't elite level basketball players. They're great don't get me wrong, but not gonna make a splash in the real world

Reply #480550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great facilities & Coaches at the highest level. Greg Page ( NBL Roster ) Joel Smith (Aust U/19s)are a couple of names that come to mind

Reply #480577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since there seems to be a low level of talent and seemingly no one getting into.college through this program, where do most of them end up? NBL at least... SEABL?

Reply #480614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Complete & utter waste of time. Go train with an NBL team & do your own uni or tafe course that's worth something.

Reply #480677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of kids getting to US college through local clubs, even here in SA via CABL. 2 going end of season from one club I know of and there is probably more. Some doing very well and in the news in the US so who knows where it will go for some. You can't always buy what you want....

Reply #480681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Uni program starting to build to something solid, hope it is successful!

Reply #480685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke Van Rijn from ACB in Melbourne committed to college this week to play at Mars Hill

Reply #480693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stur have 4 current CABL player going to college this August.

2 guys and 2 girls.

Reply #480702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is "going to college" marked as whether something/someone is successful or not? Plenty of players here in Oz that are well ahead of the talent that we see going to college.

With the added bonus of facebook, youtube or the internwet in general the level of players we send overseas is at an all time low.

So many players heading off to play at Juco schools and other low level colleges that are below the stadard they are playing here in OZ, all because they have the USA stars in there eyes.

People like to come on here and talk crap about all these acedemies etc because kids come back dissappointed with there college experience, perhaps they were not that good to begin with!! or they just ended up going to a place that was beneth where they are now.

Rewind 10-15 years ago, players actaully got cut from programs and senior teams. Eith extra sides, youth league etc now available there is no risk of "not making them team" so how are you to expect you`re going to create an enviroment of urgency and competitiveness?

Society as a whole just babying people.

Reply #480810 | Report this post

Joseph Campbell  
Years ago

I agree, anon810. I think the draw to the States is the motivation/fear of not making it. If you make it: free education. If you don't: fun-ish gap year abroad. In Australia (yes, I'm American, but my children are Australian! I'd like for them to be able to study and play sport at a top level - if they're able...not have to choose one or the other.), academic pursuits are not linked with high-level sports....in South Australia, anyways.

Imagine if we (because us parents & administrators can affect change), educated vs baby-ed our athletes... Not to say that American athletes don't get baby-ed - they do! But, at least, they get some sort of education/qualification/life experience.

I appreciate the Australian system which facilitates & promotes participation. It also promotes continued play (@ 35 years old, I can still get a somewhat competitive game in). However, I feel like AU misses the boat when it comes to developing student/athletes.

We're working on that though....

Reply #480891 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Jesse Wilesmith also committed to Ohlone junior College in California, and Sean Badewitz received offers but chose not to accept. Same as any developing program, it will take time for them to develop a good name, but it seems to be improving from its first couple of years.

Reply #485187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the other 50+ kids in their program?

Reply #485194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Junior college is exactly that a "junior" competition. Many Players go over there and they are killing it in the comp avg 20+ points a game , come back here to play youth league and are lucky to even score! what does that tell you of the competition. They would be better staying here and studying harder getting their grades up then finding a div1 college or even a decent div2 if they really want to go to the USA, but again some of the div2 colleges are less of a comp than the bigv youth champ. Go to USA for the right reasons, if you want a free education where you can also play some ball then make sure the college covers you academically, do not go purely because it's basketball in America.

Reply #485211 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:34 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754