Anonymous
Years ago

2014 FIBA U17 World Championships for Women

Just a reminder..

You can watch the games live on youtubes FIBA channel.

Australia vs Japan first up at 9.30 tonight.

Topic #34777 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks!

Reply #480599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

woeful first 1/4 by Australia. horrible to watch.
tupaea ok. forcadilla awful.

AUS 10 / JPN 10

Reply #480621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

better 2nd 1/4.
forcadilla doing much better.
sharp and maley seem to be the most comfortable.
defense still really poor.

AUS 27 / JPN 19

Reply #480623 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Better 2ns qtr that's for sure after an untidy first. Tupaea forcing too many shots so far - she is 1/9 on shooting.

Pineau has been good, and Maley dominating the glass.

Reply #480626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tupea was awful, over dribbles and wastes the clock, lots of poor fundamentals on display too and is it my imagination or have we gone small ball?

Reply #480627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree so struggling to contain any penetration. Rotations are too late (if at all.) Offensively not a lot of movement with a purpose. When we get out and play early offence we look best.

Reply #480628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we lack height and rely too much on maley and sharp for rebounding.

We needed a Mckay or Milisic along with the 2 forwards and maybe even a bigger PF like Hellessey. (not sure if shes older than 17?)

Reply #480630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the rings must have wd 40 on them...

Reply #480633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow this is a really bad game to watch

Reply #480634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah there is absolutely no chemistry between the players.
pass around the perimeter and then with 3 seconds to go, hurl it in to the frontcourt for a turnover.

Reply #480635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

omg lol. without tupaea they cant get the ball over half court.

Reply #480637 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

TO's killing Australia. Rebounding keeping them ahead so far. Pineau almost playing a lone hand offensively.

Reply #480638 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Japan take the lead with 6:15 to play. Australia is moving the ball a little better, but not scoring. Japan has started hitting the three-ball.

Reply #480640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

defending the player 2metres from the 3 point line. How many 3's have Japan thrown up...

Reply #480641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a little more urgency... good to see some heart.

Reply #480642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The high low action is working wonders

Reply #480643 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Early days in the tournament - nerves likely to be playing a part.

Reply #480644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not a fan of the side that has been chosen. I think the call ups would have been a better choice.

Reply #480645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lucky to escape with a win in my opinion.

Reply #480646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pineau the stand out with 23 points and 12 rebounds.
10-12 shooting.

forcadilla looked uncomfortable all match.
1-9 shooting, 6 turnovers, -4 eff.

Reply #480647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, guards panic when Japanese press of 1 is applied, so or don't rate Tupea at all

Reply #480649 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

54-46 win after Japan stole the lead with around 6min remaining.

Pineau the star with 23p, 12r, 1a, 2s & 3b.

Maley had 4p & 16r.

23 turnovers nearly killed Australia. Rebounding kept them in the game, winning the boards 49-36.

Hopefully they have blown the nerves out with this win. Tupaea over-handled the ball IMO and needs to help direct the offense better.

Reply #480650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think everyone agrees Tupea had a stinker, concern is is she a player who had a bad game or a player who doesn't understand the game?

And they look small.

Reply #480651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have preferred a squad like this:

PG 5'9 Tupaea
PG 5'6 Rocci
PG/SG 5'7 Ortlepp
SG 5'8 Forcadilla
SF 5'8 Pinaeu
SF 6'0 Horvat (over obrien)
SG/SF 6'0 Sharp
SF 6'1 Maley
PF 6'0 Bibby
PF 6'1 Hellessey (over dennis)
C 6'3 Mckay (over hopoate)
C 6'4 Milisic

Reply #480660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isn't Pinaeu taller than she is listed on the FIBA site 170cm?

Reply #480663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they were taken from the previous tournament she was in. I think she's 5'9 - 5'10.

Also McKay is 6'2 and Milisic 6'3.

Lots of sites make them taller than they actually are.

Reply #480664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was krystle mckenzie unavailable for the tournament?
I know she just signed with washington state cougars.
She would have been a better choice at PG.

Reply #480666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Early days folks and most here noticed the immediate issues we had during that game.

The idea that we can compete with a smaller line up was totally coaches call and he has had prior experience at this tournament, I probably think like some posters about taking length and some size but hang in there with the team.

I think it will be a tough tournament with only 7 players playing any sort of minutes but hopefully all get into the rotation

Reply #480682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Subtracting an inch or two (or three for some) may get you closer to their real height from this list posted by #480660, good team though.

PG 5'9 Tupaea
PG 5'6 Rocci
PG/SG 5'7 Ortlepp
SG 5'8 Forcadilla
SF 5'8 Pinaeu
SF 6'0 Horvat (over obrien)
SG/SF 6'0 Sharp
SF 6'1 Maley
PF 6'0 Bibby
PF 6'1 Hellessey (over dennis)
C 6'3 Mckay (over hopoate)
C 6'4 Milisic

Reply #480684 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Recap now up on PnR for Aussies win over Japan.

Pineau powers Australia to win over Japan in opener

In what was otherwise a poor shooting night for the Australian U17 Women's squad - nicknamed the Sapphires – Victoria’s Georgia Pineau provided the spark with 23 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks while shooting 83% from the field as Australia defeated Japan 54-46 in the tournament opener.

Reply #480689 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

480684 - I reckon you have it pretty much spot on!

Reply #480719 | Report this post

lo78  
Years ago

I thought that there was not to be any naming or bashing of u18 players?? Easy to critique 16 year old kids from the comfort of your lounge rooms. Pathetic.

Reply #480737 | Report this post

qw234  
Years ago

They all didn't have a good game, i think the coaches know what they're doing seeing as they are professionals. I think that it is wrong that you are naming and shaming young 16 and 17 year old girls, based off THE FIRST PERFORMANCE of the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS! I think you need to remember that these girls are not professionals and would obviously be nervous, representing their country on a World-wide scale at such a young age. I think instead off all the bitchyness and sour grapes you need to get behind our "Saphires" and support them instead of tearing them down in such an anonymous forum with little or no constructive criticism what so ever

Reply #480740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could see the coaches were frustrated with the performance against japan. I think we will see a more cohesive team tonight against Slovakia.

Reply #480743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dreadful first game, one of the problem they have is not having a PG that's capable of organising them, Tupaea is not a PG, but probably the best they have in this group as they couldn't get it over half way without her on CRT, the others not enough experience to handle pressure, but it is only first game so hopefully they will improve, though they have been playing together for the previous week plus china tour and Oceania and all their camps so should be gelled by now. Think the offence they run is not productive and Tupaea tries to do too much. Pineau had awesome first game.
Fingers crossed tonight is better but even tougher opponent it seeems

Reply #480744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any one know why krystle mckenzie isnt in the squad?

Reply #480758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats the deal with the slovakia jerseys?

Reply #480760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Offensively we've started much better in this game. Everything seems to be with more purpose and urgency. Creating better shots for each other and not standing around ball watching. Great to see girls.

Reply #480764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last 4-5 minutes of the second quarter were truly awful. Aus blew a good lead that should have been extended to basic end the game as contest.

So many turnovers and disorganised defence after all the good work earlier.

There is some good talent in this team but it is an unbalanced team the girls playing point guard aren't good enough and as identified earlier there is no centre in the team let alone effective power forwards.

its a real shame after all the training camps and games it is so very obvious this team hasn't been developed and chosen very well

Reply #480768 | Report this post

;)  
Years ago

McKenzie has already left for College. Is O'Brien injured? She didn't warm up for this game.

Reply #480769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forcafilla hit a few good 3's, but I agree with the post above. Lacking a few pieces to the puzzle.

Reply #480770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maley the rebounding juggernaut.

Reply #480780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good thing Slovakia didn't know how to work the clock in the last 2 mins of the game or that would have been a closer/tighter ending

Reply #480781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given some of the negativity, you would think we were zip 2. Good start girls, working your way into the tournament nicely. 20 boards Maley - great effort

Reply #480782 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A lot better game by the Sapphires to account for the Slovak Republic 58-51.

Maley had 12p & 20r with 2a! She is a monster in the paint.

Forcadilla had 17p (3/6 3PT), 6r & 1a.

Tupaea had 11p (3/11 FG), 3r, 5a & 3s.

Pineau had 10p (5/12 FG) & 6r.

Girls were clearly not as nervous and far more composed. Turnovers still hurting though - have up 21 tonight. Outrebounded opponents 50-29, and outscored them 28-12 in the paint.

Reply #480783 | Report this post

toddy546  
Years ago

Sources say Forcadilla was nominated player of the match. People cut her some slack! She's doing a solid job

Reply #480785 | Report this post

toddy546  
Years ago

All up the girls have done a much better job than their game yesterday. Really looked undersized however, with no true centre do you guys think this will effect us in the long run? Keep in mind we have the ability to push the ball of the gigantic rebounds of Maley, sharp and Pineau

Reply #480786 | Report this post

sass111  
Years ago

i can see benefits and flaws in the smaller lineup

Reply #480787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A great win all the same

Reply #480788 | Report this post

arrow76  
Years ago

Who do you think the top team is at the World Champs? My money is on France or the US being the teams to beat

Reply #480789 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

Love the keyboard warriors.

Reply #480790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

21 turnovers for Australia with 10 coming from steals from Slovakia , so 11 unforced errors, need to look after the ball way more than that, but yes definitely looked better in some places, now they need to string 4 qtrs. together, very very lucky to come up with 2 wins so far. Don't think they are actually that small , just lacking the extra tall player that some teams have, but it's not all about size. Do agree though a dedicated centre and a good solid PG could help. But a wins a win keep it up girls.

Reply #480792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sapphires roster was based on 'athleticism' over size.
I'm not sure if scouting at this level is common but based on the heights of the teams below, I think we did need at least 1 true centre, especially if some of our bench players were not going to be used a whole lot.

top teams that the sapphires may face:
USA - 8 girls over 6ft (top 3 bigs 6'4, 6'4, 6'9)
Spain - 5 girls over 6ft (top 3 bigs 6'2, 6'2, 6'4)
China - 7 girls over 6ft (top 3 bigs 6'2, 6'4, 6'4)
France - (6'2, 6'3, 6'4)
Canada - 6 girls over 6ft (6'2, 6'3, 6'3)

Australia (top bigs 6'0 bibby/maley, 6'1 hopoate/dennis) (only 1 starter)

Maley is a rebounding machine, so we will have to see what happens when she is up against the taller/bigger framed bodies.

Reply #480793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the US will dominate.
Just way too many players to choose from.
If you watched there training camp on youtube, they had an initial training camp of well over 120 of the countrys best girls trying out for 12 spots.

Reply #480794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hungary will be the suprise team this tournament.

Reply #480796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia probably could have used hellesey , she's a good strong big, or the big from WA can't remember her name as dedicated centre, but Bibby is strong and plays better against the bigger bodies so she may step up. It's not all about height you need good guards to be able to 1 control the tempo, 2 get the ball up the floor,3 set up the play. This is a bigger issue than lacking height in my books.

Reply #480797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you were referring to Megan Mckay (WA METRO)

2014 ASC STATS:
avg points 20.75
avg rebounds 15
avg ast 1.75
fg% 65

2013 ASC STATS:
avg points 14.38
avg rebounds 10.25
avg ast 1.12
fg% 46

Reply #480798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know what other good point guards we have at this level?

Reply #480799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not this age group , and only couple in the un19, funny isn't it all the hype for basketball is always about the bigs, let's develop the bigs, we need bigs, but they forget that without your guardsPG in particular and smart poised ones at that the bigs don't get the ball. There are always lots of guards because the average height of the population girls in particular is not your 6ft plus size, but good ones who have had the bonus of experience plus time put into their development both by themselves and coaches are rare it seems

Reply #480801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team played really well fought back from being down
All girls and coaches have earned their spots, well done. Go aussies!

Reply #480806 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A full recap from the Sapphires win over the Slovak Republic is now up on PnR:

Sapphires nab win with Anneli Maley's huge effort

Anneli Maley had 12 points and pulled down a staggering 20 rebounds as the Sapphires started the FIBA U17 World Championship for Women with a 2-0 record, defeating Slovak Republic 58-51 in a nail-biter.

Reply #480818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anneli was amazing when the game looked like slipping, outstanding effort.

Reply #480822 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

On track to head their pool at 3-0, so can't complain about that. Hopefully they can step up another gear as they go.

1/8 Final looks like being against Mali before stepping up in class in the 1/4 Finals with probably the Czech Republic or Canada (if I'm reading the schedule right!).

Reply #480824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arent they 2-0?

Reply #480825 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

2-0 with a game against Mexico to come, who have been well beaten by Japan and the Slovaks, hence "on track to head their pool at 3-0".

Reply #480830 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yes, 2-0, but on track to be 3-0 as we next play the winless Mexico.

Reply #480831 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

if both Japan and Slovakia beat Mexico easily, then that certainly is no guarantee the Aussies will put Mexico to bed without much trouble, both games played we were very lucky to come away with the win,and Mexico will not want to go through win less lets hope they don't go in thinking its a guaranteed win, that's a sure fire way to loose.

Reply #480861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think mali are push overs.
Most likely face canada after that.

Reply #480865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if we lose this game, we finish first in our group from head too head.

Will be interesting to see if some starters get a big rest this game.

Reply #480871 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Obviously a very high level of competition:
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8868291

Reply #481055 | Report this post

Go for it  
Years ago

When is the next game melbourne time?

Reply #481107 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it's 9.30pm tonight.

Reply #481108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We could make top 4 thanks to a favourable draw.

Reply #481113 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

WOW - HOW ROUGH IS THE GAME !

Reply #481118 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

whatever team is toughest and stays on track here will win it

Reply #481119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we will win. just might be ugly.

Reply #481120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maley's rebounding... wow! she could play AFL with her athleticism, certainly a player to watch being bottom age also. Crazy stuff!

Reply #481122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yaegar needs to concetrate.

Reply #481124 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

mexicans want it big time -aussies will have to play hard

Reply #481125 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

this will test the quality of the refereeing

Reply #481126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yaeger is still young. Yes not playing well, but give her a break. Great potential.

Reply #481128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm finding this really interesting being able to watch all the matches with no fuss having to find a stream etc. I really can't wait for the mens U17, its going to be great!

Now back to this match, australia just look disorganised in offence. Hopefully going forward BA include more games in the year & a half lead up to these junior championships so players are more prepared.

Reply #481130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are better when we dribble penetrate instead of holding onto the ball and passing around the perimeter.

Reply #481131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looked better then pushing the ball; why do guards think the amount of times they dribble means something?

Reply #481132 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

im not sold on the 3pt option - too lower % returns off them - mid range is wide open - they are manning up and our talls are drawing them deep / low.

Reply #481133 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

34 all and i just witnessed one of the most bizarre calls ever - an offensive foul on no.10 for aust for what ?? this has bad news written all over it

Reply #481134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mexico's pressure is forcing aus into rushed shots... also they have zoned a fair bit.

Aus has only taken 11 threes.. not a huge amount. but probably a few above normal. but the issue... 0/11

Reply #481135 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

watch the call at 1.26 & 50 secs - and if you can explain it that would be good.

Reply #481136 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

best chance we have is give up on the 3s / shuffle / flex and open the lanes up and go 1 on 1 to the hoop and draw the fouls.

Reply #481137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeh we need to attack the pressure. but good execution we help also. good practice for later in the tourney playing against pressure D.

I haven't seen any flex... only a swinger action against the zone.

Reply #481138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm worried, looking at the quality of the opposition in the other 3 groups.

Reply #481139 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

they will foul - they are playing hard and making us pay for any attempt. we can win this on the foul line if good enough.

Reply #481141 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

plenty of flex cuts - cuts across key with others down screening / screens in paint. = flex offence

Reply #481142 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

our girls are really going to have to tough it out

Reply #481143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there has been a baseline cut off a double stagger... not flex IMO.

Lucas is an old school 1sts/ 3rds shuffle gun... big on being low turnover.

Runs a swinger action verse the zone... reverse the ball, swings a player through off the baseline double, then plays the post triangle.

Reply #481144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the 3 point is not working for us at all.

It will be very interesting to see how this team goes against the bigger more structured teams, I think they will be exposed big time.

But After watching the other teams at the championships I have to say we lucked out to be in the weakest pool and looking forward we have two more winnable games which has been very lucky.

Reply #481146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lucas is an old school 1sts/ 3rds shuffle gun... big on being low turnover."

Turnovers are one of our biggest problems!

Reply #481147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rocci and ortlepp working very hard on both ends and driving to the basket in offense, which is what we need.

Reply #481148 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Strong second half against Mexico, the girls are pulling away from them, nice to see.

Some nice work between Bibby and Tupeau around the key, they are very strong on the ball.

Reply #481149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

doesn't mean he does not emphasis not turning the ball over! haha

Reply #481150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mali up next... a significantly tougher opponent.

Reply #481151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the path to the final.
(round of 16) mali vs aus
(quarters) canada/hungary vs aus
(semis) spain/france/china vs aus
(final) usa vs aus

Reply #481152 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

these girls will struggle against the better teams, considering they have had plenty of time together before this as apart from Bibby , the rest have been as a group since before nationals in Feb and had the 9 games on the china trip, they just don't play like a cohesive team. Way too much dribble from all guards and their shooting is terrible. they cant say it is the rings because all teams are new to them.

Reply #481153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need to make the final 6 to boost our world ranking from 13 to top 10.

Reply #481154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If our u17 boys do well (top 3)and france does poor we will be the 4th best combined basketball nation in the world behind usa, spain and russia.
Unfortunately there is a bit of a gap bewtween 4th place and russia.

Reply #481155 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

the boys haven't even started yet this is about the girls

Reply #481156 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The girls defence has been solid, and with Mali averaging 34ppg hopefully that will get us through the round of 16 comfortably, after that it comes down to producing special performances on the night against quality teams.

Reply #481161 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Recap from the Sapphires win over Mexico:

Sapphires defeat Mexico; go 3-0 in Group Phase

The Australian U17 women's team has completed the group phase of the FIBA U17 World Championship for Women with a 64-42 win over Mexico, finishing with an impressive 3-0 record and remain one of the only unbeaten teams in the tournament.

Reply #481163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks LC.

well done team, go Australia!

Reply #481169 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

the other pools will be way harder they struggled in this weak pool, lets hope they can start to improve now that they have blown the nerves out

Reply #481211 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

too much rush - looks like they are not assessing what they face on the court - some of those over the head cross court reversal passes will be picked off no end by team USA. getting some open shots - but not hitting them. What I have seen though our girls are tough enough and keep running.

Reply #481225 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Aussies looking much better again in their game against Mali so far. Leading 30-15 at half time.

Reply #481300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls are going well, although Mali are terrible so hard to gauge.

I guess all they can do is win against whoever turns up.

Shooting is still awful, surprised it can continue to be so consistently poor.

Reply #481301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very ugly but we are into the quarters now the real stuff begins.

Reply #481311 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

I think Mali are just flat our horrible, but a win is a win and thats all they have to keep doing. Though I cannot see this Aust. team going too deep in to the tournament.

Not having our best shooting tall (Hellessey) in the side will hurt and some extra height (McKay) is needed in general, this will come back to bite us on the arse against some of the stronger teams.

But, each to their own i guess.

Reply #481312 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

wouldnt mind mali's height - what did they win to get through ? africa ?

Reply #481314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree with ashke.

Tupaea/Rocci
Forcadilla/Ortlepp/Yaegar
Maley/Sharp/Pineau
Bibby/Hellessey
McKay/Hopoate

they still took obrien eventhough she had injury concerns? seems ok now though.

few more minutes for rocci ortlepp and jaegar was good to see. possbily more minutes in the 1/4 finals.

Reply #481315 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The recap is now up on PnR:

Sapphires defeat Mali, advance to quarterfinals

The Sapphires put forward a smothering defensive effort to remain undefeated in the FIBA U17 World Championship for Women, defeating Mali 72-34. The Australian U17 Women's squad, nicknamed the Sapphires, held Mali to just 24% from the field, allowing only 34 points in 40 minutes of action.

Reply #481321 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

crunch time from now - will play home country next.

Reply #481328 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

reisingerova in form and we have nobody that tall

Reply #481329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cant put the ball in the hoop...
so many easy layups missed.

Reply #481615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

these missed shots are making me thirsty!

Reply #481616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bibby on for hopoate please.

Reply #481617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we really are doing ourselves in. we should have a good lead.

I really hope they can pull away soon so it isn't close in the last quarter where they may have a home advantage...

Reply #481618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

crazy
can't rebound -> in the end a foul

then turnover turnover...

Reply #481619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

turnover

Reply #481620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it boggles the mind...

Reply #481621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

put the ball in the hoop!
lay ups, passes, rebounds... these are the fundamentals of the game.

Reply #481622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

czechs shooting 3's every 2nd shot and we are defending the player from 2metres away?

this is the 5th game in, c'mon!

Reply #481623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mind games ......

3 pt guards on - Small ball ????

Reply #481624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mind games ......

3 pt guards on - Small ball ????

Reply #481625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well half time and an 8 point lead blown. We really should have a double digit lead quite easily. Hopefully that's our one bad quarter.

It says a lot about what is going on out there when this coach starts the most talented player (sharp) on the bench, way to give confidence...

Reply #481626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maley in my opinion is the brightest prospect.

Reply #481627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rocci needs more time because she can easily beat her defender on the dribble.

Reply #481628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

again.. poor defending on the 3 ball.

Reply #481629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fire up girls .. more energy!

Reply #481630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really wonder what was discussed in that timeout, how best to shoot from heavily contested positions

Reply #481631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the younger kids need more of a push.
I dont think chris was the write fit. Doesnt seem like that type of coach.
We had some real good coaches at the ajc championships, not sure why they didnt use one of them. The guy that coached vic was very good.

Reply #481632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need Maley Forcadilla Sharp Tupea and Pineau or Bibby on to chase the lead down

Did he just take out sharp again !!!

Reply #481633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

too little too late it looks like.

Reply #481634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its like a clinic on 'not' how to play basketball.

Reply #481635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

our shooting percentage is 29%.
tells the story.

Reply #481636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

czech team showing some real tenacity.

Reply #481637 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

First tough competition they have had. 5 games in and they still dribble way too much looked totally unorganised and every guard they had just wanted to do their own thing. Foccadilla pifs up shots the second she gets ball tupeua Foccadilla and rocci dribble waaaaaay to much with going anywhere or making a decision.
mallie and Sharp definate standouts for future prospects.

Reply #481638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looking back the last few years...
Australia has lost its grit, grunt, hustle, heart (whatever you like to call it) we need to get the biff back. (this doesn't just apply to basketball)

A good example (basketball) would be lauren jackson, dellevedova, mills and exum. These players will throw themselves around and never give up. Always rep Australia with pride and passion and give 110% every minute of every game.

Maley, Talbot and Wallace have these traits and that is why I think they will all become opals one day.

Reply #481639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

watch the czech team in the last quarter of the game.
They just wanted it more and were willing to fight for it.

Reply #481640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looks like we are going to finish 7/8 in the tournament. Not sure we can beat Spain or France to make 5/6 placings.

Reply #481641 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

shooting % off the 3 ball was too low for me - looks like we are about par to the last time - finished 5th.
badly need some bigs coming through.

Reply #481643 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

didn't we lose to Netherlands last u17s ?

Reply #481644 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

well next year its 19s, so hopefully with the likes of Sherf,Frolings x2 , Wallace and Antoniadou they may get some grit back , they all fight for it. Though In the 17s defence they seemed to lack some motivation from the sidelines, you could hear the chech team shouting and cheering and their coach was really animated in time outs, that last quarter I didn't here a thing from the Aussie bench and in a crucial time out Lucas handed it over to his assistant Lori Chizick he sad at the end not even looking at them, think that says a lot.If your coaches don't have the look of belief at least , then players can get their heads down, and these are after all still young girls

Reply #481645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"the younger kids need more of a push.
I dont think chris was the write fit. Doesnt seem like that type of coach.
We had some real good coaches at the ajc championships, not sure why they didnt use one of them. The guy that coached vic was very good."

the guy that just got replaced at Sandringham?

not doubt his coaching ability. though I don't agree with the criticism of chris.

Reply #481648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We still have a shot at 5th which would be a good achievement for this group.

Reply #481649 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

think Chris Lucas is a good coach, though perhaps not for juniors, were as Paul Flynn the UN18 Vic coach has a very good proven record with this age group, not just at AJC , look at his Rangers team he had for the two yrs previously, they took out the whole thing Aus Day, Classic AND VJBL Champs, hes had the un17s at Oceania the year before they creamed everyone, then bam Chris Lucas who had not been coaching this age group ever gets the gig. So think Flynn may have been better option and I am sure their would have been a few roster changes too. Lets hope the girls can pull out the win for 5th, but going to be a hard win if its France they play, that team beat USA in the pre tournament tour.

Reply #481650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah fair enough... though I also rate Paul Flynn highly as a coach and a person, I'm not sure he was ready for this tournament.

The issue I have with his coaching background is, he has almost always coached teams loaded with talent and that have had success (but should have had success no matter who coached them).

Firstly, look at the Dandy 18s team... they were stacked.

The Oceania tournament, the Aussies played no bodies from small island nations and then a below par NZ team.

The Vic Metro 18s team this year, was also loaded with talent (surprise, surprise)...

Like I said, not having a go at his coaching record, ability or knowledge, because it is obviously strong!. & he has to manage the talent etc.

However, at a world champs you need a coach with top level experience, a coach that understands the international game and a coach that understands how to get a less talented team to compete with more talented teams.

Fylnn has only had to deal with highly talented teams, the only time he hasn't has been with Sandringham this year in the SEABL, and they have struggled majorly this year.

Chris on the other hand has had success with teams that aren't as good on paper, plus all the other experience.. .hence why I am sure BA went with Chris.

I tend to agree from last nights game, Chris didn't coach his best , but i don't know that Fylnn or anyone else from junior coaching ranks, would have done any better. ?

Just my opinion & I'm not criticising either coach, both great coaches.

Reply #481652 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

but shouldn't this team have been stacked with talent also, they are supposed to be the best we have. I think its also how you relate to that age group to be able to get the best out of them and from watching these games he doesn't really seem to have much interaction with them accept for tupea who's always talking to him on the side line.
think both are great coaches, and can see where they would think experience would be the better option, but sometimes you have to factor in 'will these kids want to play for a coach. Plus a few questionable things like Sharp and Malley getting limited time in a very important game when they had been stand-out the rest of the week, the omission of two bigs in Hellesy ( a crack shooter and shot blocker) and Mc Kay whose a monster on the boards, which left Australia small, then saying they went for athleticism over height yet leaving the two most athletic players on the bench. If that's the mind of experience I think perhaps BA made a mistake. Just my thoughts

Reply #481657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anonomous,

you do realise all the other teams were 'stacked' with all their countries talents, and these are countries who 17 year olds would have played in 10 or more tournaments as a group over the last 5 years while our group had 2 camps and a tour pulled from their schedule so that the National womens team can have more camps?

Reply #481659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeh. anon (in bold) makes some good points I don't disagree at all, especially regarding communication, interaction etc., though we can only see from a superficial level.

And always agree with anon (not in bold), that was my point I was alluding to... we are not stacked on a world level, we are middle of the pack and need a coach who has a proven record of getting teams to "overachieve".

Reply #481662 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

^^think you will find most teams are much the same as ours, they don't play a weekly comp,and have camps every weekend. Our lot have had several camps over the last two years, two lots of oceania, plus china and the preworlds. USA held tryouts for their teanm less than a year ago, I know they have a huge pool to choose from but our girls have had as much chance as the rest really.

Reply #481670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you judge a coach who has stacked teams ability to over achieve?

Reply #481671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Track record. Needs to be highly experienced, coaching a variety of teams at a variety of levels. Lucas meets that criteria. Coach SA Metro teams, coach Adelaide and Townsville all with success, some groups highly talented, some groups over achieving.

No doubt you need talent to have success, but some coaches are blessed with more than others, in particular at junior levels.

Reply #481673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^anonomous

what are you on about, Europeans have it much easier, they have their club competition plus the national comps, much more often than us. Dont thinnk playing oceania against PNG is anything like Russia playing Spain. They have more camps, more international competition, and all their clubs have schools who have basketball as a subject run by their clubs. Plus they have more people in the first place, more funding in the second and more of them play basketball than in Australia.

you know nothing anonmous

Reply #481674 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

yes I agree they have way more people to choose from, BUT they do not go play national teams on a weekly basis, they play interclub teams, not unlike VJBL, NSWBL, BIGV SEABL WNBL, all these same opportunities, do you think America when they play china take their national team, no they dont they take a mix of highschool kids.Agree more funding and support is needed especially in the womens area for the juniors, you only have to look on this forum to see how one sided basketball is in Australia, its like the females are the ALSO RANS.....but dont see Boomers coming up with any great results unlike the OPALS... food for thought for all those who only ever focus on mens basketball

Reply #481676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, but the US would have more females playing basketball than we would even have living in this country. So its a ridiculous comparison

Reply #481677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy Independence Day!

Reply #481678 | Report this post

the front foot  
Years ago

always a tough ask to beat the home nation in front of home crowd and expectations. No matter what country it is played in - home nation always over performs.

Reply #481679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it is but they had all the opportunities to close the game out in the first 2 quarters... and it was missed lay up, turnovers made whilst not being under any real defensive pressure

Reply #481688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really think toughness and persistence should be taught to our juniors. I don't believe that it is just a trait that occurs naturally. Look at Erin Phillips, her football background gives her that determination, never say die attitude. Check the highlights on YouTube when she won the wnba title with Indiana or kristy wallaces highlights at the aus junior champs.

If you watched Australia's defence during the tournament, you will see that most of the time they stay in front of ther opponent with there hands up, but you never really see them put pressure on the ball. I thought we would have created a lot more turnovers because in the earlier games, none of the teams really had any good ball handlers.

Reply #481709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we never played disruptive defence. rarely pressed or zoned. just straight up 3/4 court defence.

Reply #481712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sharp doing brilliant.

Reply #481725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every time we get on a roll he subs the kid scoring or providing the juice

What did Forcadilla do to
Lose the starting spot

Reply #481727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

best performance of the tournament so far for sure.

Reply #481728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you put pressure on duchet or afonso, the rest of the team are clueless.

Reply #481730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably playing canada for 5th if we keep this up.
See canada beat japan with a 3 on the last second.

Reply #481731 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australia won 65-48 to now earn a spot to play off for 5th.

Maley with 10p & 6r.
Bibby had 14p & 4r.
Tupaea with 4r, & 3s

Reply #481743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5th is a respectable result. Though could have snatched top 4.

Reply #481786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For a bottom age girl, Bibby is impressive and maybe could have seen more court time in the loss.

Reply #481788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its's only my opinion, but from what I have seen she's certainly got the confidence, but will need to grow a foot or SEABL will be her peak.

Applies to a lot of this team; not overly tall and questions over fundamentals.

Reply #481796 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Bibby wont grow any more, but not everyone has to be 6ft5 to get to the upper levels in basketball, she'd be a good strong forward if she keeps developing her outside game

Reply #481814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how tall will anneli maley be in the future if she is 6'1 now (15 years old).

Could be a great power forward in the future if she grows another inch or two.

Reply #481815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maley reminds me of a cross between laura hodges and stephanie talbot.

Reply #481816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My tip is none of them are as tall as they are listed, be surprised if any of the players you are talking about are genuinely 6ft.

Reply #481818 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Game underway for 5th place.

Great start by Sapphires - leading Canada 10-3. Defensively the girls not letting Canada get into their sets.

Reply #481819 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Aussie girls look like a different team from their first three games...

Hustle, purpose and intent all evident.

nice lay-in on the half time buzzer sees Australia leading 31-17.

Sharp and Maley for mine have been the most impressive in this game so far.

Sharp has 8p, 3r & 2b
Maley has 7p, 8r & 3s

Reply #481821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we played like this against czech...

Reply #481823 | Report this post

Real one  
Years ago

The standard of this game is quite poor especially as it is 5th vs 6th. 30 pts difference.

Canada are ordinary and making the Aussies defense look amazing when it isn't really.

Reply #481825 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Big 69-39 win by Sapphires vs Canada to finish 5th.

Maley with 10p, 10r & 3s & Rocci with 10p, 7r & 4a.

Reply #481826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A descent finish (5th). By the end of the tournament, I thought we were the the 3rd best team after the usa and spain. Unfortunately having our worst game in the 1/4 finals lost us a medal.

For me, I think maley and sharp are the standouts with ortlepp and rocci also putting in solid performances. Bibby and Tupaea as expected.

Looking forward to the mens u17 tournament next month and the world cup/world champs later on.

Reply #481827 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

have to agree with Real One on this, though think they ran better this game without having Tupaea on the crt as much too their offence ran quicker. but good effort just the same 5th overall. I did think the standard was not very high in most games of the other teams especially for worlds, but great coverage by FIBA, nice to be able to watch the games. Hope they all learnt a lot and had a great time, its an amazing experience Im sure for all these young players.

Reply #481828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can you be turning 19 years old next year (2015) and still make the u19 world champs?

Reply #481829 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

yes you can, as the qualifiers are this year so they have to be UN19 for then and that's when they class your age, so players born 96 are the age group for 2015.

Reply #481831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A potential under 19 squad:
Who would you take from or add to this list - ages 17(98)/18(97)/19(96) in 2015?

PG 5'6 Maddison Rocci
PG 5'6 Brodie Theodore
SG 5'7 Mikayla Pirini
SG 5'7 Montana Farah Seaton
PG/SG 5’8 Jasmine Forcadilla
SG 5’8 Taylor Ortlepp
SG 5'8 Morgan Yaegar
PG/SG 5’9 Rachel Antoniadou
PG 5’9 Tahlia Tupaea
SF 5'10 Georgia Pineau
PG/SG 5’11 Kristy Wallace
SF 5'12 Bridget Obrien
SG/SF 6’0 Chantel Horvat
SG/SF 6’0 Alexandra Sharp
SF 6’1 Anneli Maley
SF/PF 6’1 Chloe Bibby
PF 6'1 Madeleine Dennis
PF 6'1 Bride Kennedy Hopoate
SF 6’2 Keely Froling
PF 6’2 Ella Hellessey
PF/C 6'3 Meg Essex
PF 6’3 Alicia Froling
PF/C 6’3 Alliyah Fareo
PF/C 6’3 Alanna Smith
C 6’3 Megan Mckay
C 6’5 Lauren Scherf

Reply #481832 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

PG/SG 5'7 Mikayla Pirini
SG 5'9 Montana Farah Seaton
PG/SG 5'9 Rachel Antoniadou
PG/SG 5’10 Kristy Wallace
SG/SF 6’0 Alexandra Sharp
SF 6’1 Anneli Maley
SF 6’2 Keely Froling
PF 6’3 Alicia Froling
PF/C 6’3 Alliyah Fareo
PF/C 6’3 Alanna Smith
PF/G 6' KASEY BURTON
C 6’5 Lauren Scherf

probably this line up though quite a few bigs to choose from for the 3/4 spot. only problem will be 4 of them(WALLACE,FROLING SISTERS,FAREO) will be in USA college system next month so not sure how that works, they wont be around for qualifiers in Nov.

Reply #481833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read that the girls playing in college Kristy(Baylor), Froling sisters (SMU), Fareo(LSU) will get to play internationals if requested.

PG: Wallace(SG)/Pirini
SG: Antoniadou(PG)/Sharp(SF)
SF: KFroling/Maley
PF: AFroling/Fareo(C)
C: Scherf/Smith

2 out of Burton/Seaton/Tupaea/Ortlepp

What are burton and seaton like as a players?
Havent seen any tape on them.

Reply #481834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

know much about 14 year old egi magbegor?

Reply #481835 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

14yr old will be too young and I'd say they have enough talent in all positions not to require a 15yr old at an un19 worlds.
Burton and Seaton were part of the team that went to Oceania Pacific champs last yr. Both extremely athletic and fast Burton 6ft f/g plays for Ballarat in seabl and vycw. Seaton plays for Albury she'd be the only ? But they would be my prefered 2 but I'm not the coach haha

Reply #481839 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Recap of the playoff for 5th place win is now up on PnR:

Sapphires defeat Canada, earn 5th place

Reply #481848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is not what the team will look like...

Reply #481849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ese is a huge talent playing for Vic Metro at the u16s at the moment.

Reply #481858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never said she was in contention for u19's, I just wanted to know who is magbegor. Heard she was prospect for the future.I know she's only 14, but what type of player is she? What position?
How tall? etc. What makes a good prospect?.

Reply #481861 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A good effort by the girls, really one bad quarter against the host nation is what stopped them from having a real crack at a medal, but fifth is nothing to be sneezed at.

For the most part U17 WC basketball is pretty ugly and disorganised and it comes down to finding ways to win and they certainly did that pretty well.

Reply #481864 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

481849.....so what do you think team will look like

Yes agree 5th is a good result considering how badly they played in a few quarters of some games.such a shame the couldnt have had a crack at medals think they may have got it together to string 4 good qtrs together by then. But they should be proud mighty effort

Reply #481865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Fareo is up to world's standards. Along with a few other players you mentioned.

I think there will be a balance from 17s teeam and the older group.

It will be interested to see how college impacts on the preparation and selections.

Reply #481871 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

yes agree re Fareo possibly, but it will be interesting to see how college effects this group, as they wont be able to get back for camps or tours, not even the qualifiers this November, so perhaps a couple more of the un17s would be looking to fill some spots, but still wouldn't be many especially in the guards position, but if Frolings aren't able to participate then some of those bigger MORE SOLID players who can play the 4 spot the likes of Hellesey,Bibby,and even Mc Kay, might be looking at this age group. Wasn't their another huge tall that played with Rangers had a funny last name, what's happened to her, she's as big as Sherf.

Reply #481874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ese Magbegor is a centre, I think she may be 15 now, about 6ft 2.

Reply #481881 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

481871 who else do you think is not up to world standards, most if not all on the list have represented Australia or been at an Aus camp?

Reply #481888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can a 1998 girl make the next u17 worlds or will they miss out as every 2 years

Reply #481902 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

They can but they don't usually

Reply #481903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would they go up to u19s instead?

Reply #481906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't make next under 17s if born in 1998. Next under 17 worlds are in 2016 and kids born in 1998 will turn 18 that year - so their year is really 19s in 2017.

Reply #481913 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

They can but they don't usually

Reply #481925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wasn't their another huge tall that played with Rangers had a funny last name, what's happened to her, she's as big as Sherf."

amanda meinking about 194cm born 1996, currently playing SEABL

also Alliyah Fareo will get much better at the college she is going to, LSU

It will be very interesting to see if BA will have the U19 mens training camps in the US as most of our best player will be based there

Simmons
Bolden
Adel
Krebs
McVeigh
Mckay

Maker
Humphries

think of the quality practice games they could have/arrange. Just fly the coaches and a couple of other players.

Reply #481929 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Re 98 kids for 17s in 2016 the answer is yes tbey can the same as those born in 96 who will turn 19 in 2015,so 98 born turning 18 that year would still be eligible as they qualify the yr before.

Reply #481967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You cannot turn 18 the year the 17 and UNDER worlds are held.You can turn 17 that year as its 17 and UNDER but not 18.

Reply #481989 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

sorry but your wrong, if you look at the next un19, SHERF WALLACE FROLINGS plus a few more will all BE 19 when worlds are on in 2015 as they are all 18 already, its taken from the qualifier date which for this group will be November 2014, so for the next un17 worlds their qualifier date will be late 2015, so of they don't turn 17 till 2016 even if its jan 1st 2016 they are eligible for un17 worlds in 2016.

Reply #482014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2012 was born in 1995
2014 was born in 1997
2016 will be 1999

so No

Reply #482019 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754