So , where do you see some of the young guns like

Humphries
Simmons
Maker
Adel
McVeigh
Bolden

etc. ending up?

Top 5 pick/lottery pick/first round/second round/undrafted/europe. Name any others and where you think they'll end up aswell.

Topic #34783 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

Simmons and maker top 5, humphries with a strong college showing could easily go first round. Bolden has potential to be a first rounder also. Haven't seen enough of Deng to judge.

Reply #480698 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

the fact ben simmons was named nbpa top 100 mvp , and is the current number one top rated college recruit says that a top 3 pick in the nba is simmons spot to lose.

he has to work his butt off at lsu over the season and not let other players over take him. he is the type of player that the nba loves though , tall long and athletic. not many guys who are 6'9 and can run the fast break but score very well in the post. if he can develop a very good face up mid range game he will be very very very good.

Reply #480703 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

maker has unreal skill and athleticism at his height and length.

some critics question if he can do the same against men. i think college will answer those questions as we will get a fair few chances to see him against big defenses.

Reply #480704 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Simmons and Maker are genuine "One and Done" college players that are likely top 5 NBA draft picks. Bolden and Adel are possible first round selections. Humphries could be a lottery pick.

Reply #480705 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Two will make the NBA, 3 could make the NBA and McVeigh it's too early to tell but we won't be seeing these guys in the NBL

Reply #480707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What player comparisons would you give for all of these young players?

Imo Simmons and Maker are first round locks barring a total melt down or injury. Both will most likely be picked in the top 5. Maker could slip if he doesn't bulk up but someone with his tremendous upside is a guaranteed lottery pick.

Reply #480733 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

What is so impressive about Simmons is how smooth and refined his game looks already, there are definitely aspects he needs to work on like rebounding and being a consistent outside scorer, but his IQ and consistency are really high.

Reply #480777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read somewhere that he's 6'10 now though most people have him listed as 6'9/6'8. Is he going to be a tweener or a legitimate sf/pf?

Reply #480833 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

"Reply #480833
re: Future Boomers Potential
I read somewhere that he's 6'10 now though most people have him listed as 6'9/6'8. Is he going to be a tweener or a legitimate sf/pf?"

Legit PF based on his dads frame.

Reply #480858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he ends up with a PF frame he will be a matchup nightmare, even in the NBA. NBA All-Star potential there for sure.

Reply #480860 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What player comparisons would you give for all of these young players?
I think Maker is generally compared to Garnett who was skinny but aggressive and agile for his height in high school. Not sure if Maker has that toughness though.

For Simmons, I've seen McGrady mentioned but surely he'll fill out and be more of a PF? One site says "a better Drew Gooden" which sounds like a backhanded compliment.

Same site has Maker and Simmons as 1-2 in 2016 though - could be possible if their ability/upside and work ethics are there.

Reply #480892 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Having seen more and more of Ben Simmons.. the kids going to be a star, you can just see it.. from his handles, to his defence, to his demeanour and athleticism... NBA star written all over him.

Reply #480893 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Simmons 6'10" as of Sept 13' so he says.

Reply #480895 | Report this post

Liam Santamaria  
Years ago

Here's a link to an article I wrote for Downtown and NBA Australia on Simmons and Maker:

http://www.sportal.com.au/nba/the-australian-invasion/2pmg7r49v4m1xtukg8j0ddlo

Absolute studs.

Reply #480906 | Report this post

Damooo  
Years ago

Maker looks fantastic. Back 2 years ago he hadn't grown into his body, so was very awkward athletically. 2 years later at just 16 years old, he's put on muscle mass and his athleticism has sky-rocketed, and it can be expected that it only gets better from here. He'll be a great athlete when all things are said and done. I just saw he's playing for USA for a Europe tournament. It'd be highly disappointing if he ended up representing USA given he's only lived there a couple of years.

I've always hoped Ben Simmons could grow to 6'10 or 6'11, as his skill set looks great.

Australia basketball will probably be entering a new peak in 5 years time, hopefully Thon Maker is part of the set-up.

Reply #480915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think Maker is generally compared to Garnett who was skinny but aggressive and agile for his height in high school. Not sure if Maker has that toughness though.

For Simmons, I've seen McGrady mentioned but surely he'll fill out and be more of a PF? One site says "a better Drew Gooden" which sounds like a backhanded compliment."

I'd say a mix of Garnett and a tiny bit of Durant isn't a bad comparison.

I'd say T'Mac is a bit far off for Simmons. He isn't a good an athlete or as explosive as T'Mac.

"Maker looks fantastic. Back 2 years ago he hadn't grown into his body, so was very awkward athletically. 2 years later at just 16 years old, he's put on muscle mass and his athleticism has sky-rocketed, and it can be expected that it only gets better from here. He'll be a great athlete when all things are said and done. I just saw he's playing for USA for a Europe tournament. It'd be highly disappointing if he ended up representing USA given he's only lived there a couple of years.

I've always hoped Ben Simmons could grow to 6'10 or 6'11, as his skill set looks great."

If you look at videos of Maker two years ago, he looks noticeably younger. I think it sort of proves in a way that his age is indeed legitimate.

If Simmons grows to 6'11 then he'll be a monster and a definite number 1 pick.

It's funny that by 2018 we could have a fully 'black' starting lineup

C - Maker
Pf - Simmons
Sf - Bolden
Sg - Mills
Pg - Exum

Reply #480919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think that's a stretch, 019. I can see starting Mills and Exum, but surely it would be with Mills at the 2 and Exum at the 3, with Delly starting at the 1. Delly should be Boomers captain by 2016 and while there might be better NBA players around him, he'll be the piece that makes them go.

Reply #480922 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, Delly is definite captain material.

Reply #480937 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

"It's funny that by 2018 we could have a fully 'black' starting lineup

C - Maker
Pf - Simmons
Sf - Bolden
Sg - Mills
Pg - Exum"

Actually there's half a dozen nationalitys represented in that team, exactly the way an Aussie team should look.

Reply #480944 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

Regarding thons athletic progress, he's physically an alien, no idea what that body will be capable of. By 2016 he could conceivably be 7'3" 220lbs, unheard of foot speed & skill set at that size.

Reply #480945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regarding Delly as captain - Exum would also be an option. He might be a bit younger but he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and is a real leader. It's all speculative though on how each player does and how they progress. If an other player is starting or getting big minutes in the NBA and Delly is a bench warmer or even in Europe, you'd have to start him over Delly.

"Actually there's half a dozen nationalitys represented in that team, exactly the way an Aussie team should look."

I completely agree and am very happy with it. People might complain about it not being a 'true Australian' team but that's just rubbish and silly. We're the most multi-national and ethnic country in the world and it's great that our team will represent that. I was just poking fun at the fact that our team has always been predominately 'white'.

People also tend to forget that Bogut's parents are Croatian and he pretty much identify s himself as a Croatian-Australian.

"Regarding thons athletic progress, he's physically an alien, no idea what that body will be capable of. By 2016 he could conceivably be 7'3" 220lbs, unheard of foot speed & skill set at that size."

His lack of weight and possible inability to put on weight is really scaring scouts. He wants to play as a SF but doesn't have the quickness or athleticism for that position which means he'll have to be a power forward. If he doesn't put on considerable weight he'll get eaten alive at that position in the pro's. I'd say that if he doesn't put on the weight by the draft he'd go from a top 5 prospect to a mid/late lottery pick. With his upside and skill set, there's no way he goes past that though. If he grows an extra two inches then that would be incredibly interesting.

Reply #481034 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

We have plenty of 'star' power coming through our ranks, but anyone who knows anything about basketball would know that Delly completely made the Boomers ship sail in London. Every moment he was on the court the team was better. I don't see anything changing that for the next 10 years.

Reply #481042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree and like i said it's all speculative as of now. He also struggled massively against the US, however.

Reply #481049 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Getting all these guys together is highly unlikely but imagine next years under 19s if all were available
Maker
Bolden
Simmons
Adel
McVeigh
Humphries
throw in some other names such as Clark,Krebs,Vasilijevic would be a medal contending line up.

Reply #481054 | Report this post

Our Game  
Years ago

"His lack of weight and possible inability to put on weight is really scaring scouts. He wants to play as a SF but doesn't have the quickness or athleticism for that position which means he'll have to be a power forward. If he doesn't put on considerable weight he'll get eaten alive at that position in the pro's. I'd say that if he doesn't put on the weight by the draft he'd go from a top 5 prospect to a mid/late lottery pick. With his upside and skill set, there's no way he goes past that though. If he grows an extra two inches then that would be incredibly interesting"

Interestingly, Thons current lack of mass is directly related to his unusual mobility, the weight that many say he needs to acquire to play PF could potentially reduce his biggest upside.

To put Thons size in perspective, his current standing reach & wingspan are representative of a player much taller than 7'1", this combined with his ability to work off the dribble & spread the floor by comfortably handling the ball in transition are unseen.

Developing a player for which there is no mold must be a concern for some scouts but others foresee the next evolution of the game.

Reply #481062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Getting all these guys together is highly unlikely but imagine next years under 19s if all were available
Maker
Bolden
Simmons
Adel
McVeigh
Humphries
throw in some other names such as Clark,Krebs,Vasilijevic would be a medal contending line up."

a starting lineup of

Humphries
Maker
Simmons
Adel
Vasilijevic

With Bolden, McVeigh etc coming off the bench would definitely be a medal contender. And not just silver either, that could definitely contend for gold.

I'd say Humphries and Simmons would be locks. Maker has said he's keen to play and the junior national teams are great for exposure so he's also a big chance. Not too sure on Deng.

"Interestingly, Thons current lack of mass is directly related to his unusual mobility, the weight that many say he needs to acquire to play PF could potentially reduce his biggest upside.

To put Thons size in perspective, his current standing reach & wingspan are representative of a player much taller than 7'1", this combined with his ability to work off the dribble & spread the floor by comfortably handling the ball in transition are unseen.

Developing a player for which there is no mold must be a concern for some scouts but others foresee the next evolution of the game."

Yeah, that's another concern. If he can add weight and maintain most of that mobility he'll be unstoppable. If he loses the majority of it. He'd still be a lottery pick. His size with that shooting ability is rare.

Reply #481082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon: age 19 and under 12 man roster.

PG Exum
SG McVeigh/Adel (Both can be play SF)
SF Simmons/Bolden (Both can play PF)
PF Maker/Froling (Both can play centre?)
C Humphries

Starters: 6'6+, 6'7+, 6'9+, 7'1+, 7'0+.
All bases covered...

ANOTHER PG -
(Wilson, Owies, Tomat, Dufelheimer, mcdowel White?)
ANOTHER SG -
(?)
ANOTHER C -
(Landale, Molloy-Leigh, Perry, Matur Maker, Malone.)

Reply #481093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever happened to the Nic Duncan hype? Was it just his lack of size for a pf that killed it?

Reply #481096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ the next U19 team is based on those born in 1996 and then younger, so exum (1995) can't make the team as he is to old.

Reply #481116 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:29 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754