The word
Years ago

Casey Cavaliers look to 2015

So I hear Casey Cavs are in talks with Lester Strong to Play/Coach their mens team next year

He will be full time as a coaching director and senior mens coach as well as putting on a uniform

Topic #34793 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Say what now.... this has no background info for anyone to know what you're talking about in relation to anything! I assume its a bball thing.

Reply #480914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, who cares. I believe Warren Dawson has been working with the club the past few seasons. If Cavs are at all speaking with Lester it would be via this connection.
Strong would be a good pick up at this level for any team.

Reply #480942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would his coaching credentials be to be named Coaching Director?

Reply #480952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Much like other clubs, you suck up to the right people you get what you want. Warren Dawson is an expert at it, just look at his record at Rangers playing the president son 200 more games than he should of to keep his job.
Not to tarnish Lester, his profile is enough to get that gig at Cranbourne.

Reply #480956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow!! What a complete crock of crap.

Firstly Warren Dawson is the Director of Coaching at Casey, Has been for three seasons and isn't going anywhere.

Secondly Stewart Baird is the current Senior Head Coach and Head Coach of the Div 2 Mens Team and has recently been offered an extension to his agreeement which he has accepted.

Thirdly Lester Strong doesn't even have immigration status that would allow him to play anywhere at the moment and wont have until a Dept of Immigration appeal is heard.

Get your facts right.

Finally, say what you want about Warren Dawson but to say he sucks up to people is complete rubbish. You are presumably talking about Dave Godfrey when you say "the presidents son". Lou Godfrey was not President of Dandenong at any time while Dawson was coaching there. Again, get your facts right.

Dawson also took Dandenong to the ABA National Championship game two years in a row with a team that by Dandenong's own rules had to include no less than 7 Dandenong juniors so I think his credentials speak for themselves.

Reply #480964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My understanding is that Lester is more than likely going to be deported. Right or wrong he has overstayed his visa by the law and the immigration dept. rules are black and white.

Reply #480980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#cavsnation

Reply #481019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry my bad - Cranbourne and Casey different clubs, my bad Dawson and Baird at Cav nation. Doing a good job

The Flog back with vengeance! Correct Lou Godfrey wasn't the president, he was just the Board Member assigned and in control of the senior mens program at the time referenced and over ruled anything and everything that could impact guess who???

It's well known Godfrey basked in the glory of trying to recruit imports and dictate the way the men's program was run at Rangers, even drummed up media attention to promote himself...What a Flog!!!!

Here are some facts to read!!!

http://dandenong.starcommunity.com.au/journal/2008-10-30/lou-scores-again/

#480964 - You seem to know a lot about Dawson and Strong? Bring back "The Flog"! You cant help yourself, that stress disorder really fires up the key board hey!
Should I post some more facts....just temp me!

Keep it going you have a real fan base now, heaps of people jumping on here just to "break down the B.S."(quoted from article) keep all this comedy going!

The first year Godfrey was moved aside and forced to let go of "Selecting imports" and dictating to the Men's Head coach in comes DQ and Lewis....who when they arrived after a few training sessions were publically questioned at the time of not being up to it.
Good Call, not up to it? - just the best two import combo's in the league with DQ being the best!

Further more no issues with Dawson or Baird both good servants and coaches of basketball. Strong is a ripper too. All three good enough to be involved anywhere/any club.

Thanks for another burst of energy and stress release.

Reply #481071 | Report this post

Vic_dude  
Years ago

Could be some substance to this, a tweet from Lester himself today;
https://twitter.com/MrStrong44/status/496146306566344705

Reply #486329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lester has confirmed it himself when a SCM club enquired about him playing for them next year he said he has already committed to Casey next year.

I have seen the emails that were sent!

Reply #486337 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

One can only presume you are referring to his record when coaching Dandenong in Big V. If so, yes, Warren was very successful. If you are meaning his days coaching in SEABL, the Dandenong Media guide on the SEABL website has his record there, which is not too spectacular.

Heard somewhere that current Cav import Pebole may not be returning, so Strong to Casey could be on the cards if they look to get another import. If they win it all, and go up to D1, think its a great move.

Reply #486367 | Report this post

The word  
Years ago

I knew this back in June ;)
Hate to say it but 'told ya so'

Just like I'm tellin you all now that you can add Brent Hobba from Dandy SEABL and Daren Best from Chelsea D1M but an ex Cranbourne VJBL player to the list of players who will be at the Cavs next season

A Change is going to come!! #cavsnation

Reply #486370 | Report this post

Solid Moves  
Years ago

^ @The Word - That all sounds great.... For about two years and then where are you going to be?

Strong looked poor in his last season at Knox, granted it's a higher level, but he'll now be two years older... Good signing, but nothing out of this world.. Just another dude who know's his time is up and is looking for one last pay day before he becomes known as a "former import".. If you pulled this off 4 years ago then that would have been at the level people are making it out to be..

Hobba is a great bloke and I have the utmost respect for him and believe he has a lot to offer a team.. However, the bloke is on the wrong side of 30 and is a short term signing in reality. Plus, I don't want him to leave Dandenong.. He's such a valuable part of the Championship contending group and is a wise head out there for the younger players off the bench.

So while you and your "#cavsnation" look for short term success and long term pain in the BigV I wish you all the best this weekend.. Because the one after is really going to see where you're at.. Can you beat lowly old Shepparton and take the D2 flag that really doesn't mean anything? Lets see, I'll be at the stadium for game one.. Maybe we can have a talk about other teams that have tried to buy success through older, experienced and proven bodies only to realize they have nothing when they hang up the sneakers.

As a fan, sure, there seem to be some exciting times ahead.. No doubts about it at all. But from a long term view, surely the committee has to be pretty darn short sighted

Reply #486379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What`s is the change? They are actually going to win something rather then beating there chest about how good they are all the time???

The Casey way is to stay in lower divisions and try and chase championships, wouldn`t be a surprise if they stayed in D2 with all that talent to try and get a chip.

Ex SEABL player and an import and they have been far from dominating a weak ass D2 pool.

Casey, Shep and Keysborough in D2 the rest were playing for scraps since round 1.

Much more impressive seeing what teams like Warnambool are doing in D1 with a bunch of local kids and a few vets.

Reply #486380 | Report this post

Gelder  
Years ago

So "The Word", did Lester do some junior program trainings on Saturday mornings with Peoble?
Ex VJBL player back at Cranny, would that be Chelsea's Matt Orchard? Lester to coach VJBL Boys U18s?
I agree with "anonymous" to a certain degree, you need a (one) older experienced player that the younger men/boys can look up to, be shown the professionalism needed to improve their game.

And yes the committee has probably been short term, not long term, but some probably, may have, a personal "investment" in how it is set up short term.

Reply #489542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ex VJBL player returning isDarren Best

Reply #489545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought that Darren Best is playing in England and will be back late so might not be back at all.

Is Lester allowed in the country?

Reply #489580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All is sorted with Lester.

Best is under contract until March in the UK

Reply #489642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know to much about how you qualify for each division but if Casey does stay in Div 2 due to BigV not allowing them to go up. you can't blame them for bringing in players like strong and best to ensure a successful season?

Reply #489695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Big V are happy for them to go up but the want to just collect (buy) silverware.

You would think that an "elite" program would aim for the highest level they can play.

The problem is they just spin what ever crap they want to their members and they believe it. " oh the big v won't promote us" complete B.S.

Reply #489730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysie and Paky are looking at possibilities to go up to D1

Reply #489732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D1 should be cut down to the top 10 sides and the rest dropped to D2. D2 then made into the division with the conferences like a few years back. D2 sides are well off the pace of the D1 sides at the momment.

Packy and Keysy would get killed in D1. To small and don`t have the decent coaches to compete at that level.

Reply #489768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10 is too little, you need to play a min of 22 games a season to make it worth while so if you play each other twice each Div should have 12 teams over 18 rounds so 4 double header weekends.

Reply #489771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With new teams coming in to D2 and teams coming down it would make the new D2 way too big

Reply #489788 | Report this post

a  
Years ago

Wow the news broke about Lester back in June!

Casey are organisd and on to stuff!

Good work cavs

Reply #502330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey early favourites for D1 championship

Reply #506995 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

According to who ?

Reply #507001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were gonna win all 3 titles this year as well. Still thought they were going to do that as far as round 6.

Reply #507026 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Random Anonymous poster, giving no reason why, claims they'll win the title in their first season in a higher Division.

Must be true.

Reply #507037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How's everything going down there right now?

Reply #525908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#Cavsnation ... Nation of what???????????

Walls are going to come tumbling down on this place. The curtain is going to be pulled back to revela what is underneath.

Reply #526078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Local paper looks like has turned on them as well. Pointing out all of the former players and people involved who handed them a loss last weekend. No mention of the money man Le$ter $trong, didnt have much of an impact?

Reply #526084 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Shambles
Have Latrobe this week too.
Good Luck.

Reply #526117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's up with all this?

Reply #540985 | Report this post

The word  
Years ago

I broke the news about Casey signing Strong and Hobba last year before the anyone else knew.

I'm now telling you with the new signings Casey will be in SCM next year and favourite from last seasons team will be back!

Reply #549809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youth think they will be the favourites?

Reply #549845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the new Casey signings ??

Hope they have introduced some younger talent or they will be in strife.

Reply #549849 | Report this post

Gekder  
Years ago

The Word - Jono Hawes? He was my favourite!!!!

Reply #549851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And now it's all fallen to poo.

Wel done Casey now going and sacking your coach a week after playing in a grandifnal against a team that has an import AND a current NBL Player.

Reply #598670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://berwicknews.starcommunity.com.au/news/2014-10-02/five-years-for-baird-behaviour/

5 year extension in 2014, I thought we were only in 2016?

Reply #598672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really? Stu has been given the flick? Watching Michael Davies win the title after one season would be a kick in the nuts surely!

Reply #598689 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754