Anonymous
Years ago

36ers sign Peter Crawford for one year

One year deal. A lot saw it coming.

"It's really exciting and it should be a lot of fun. I think the change will do me good and it will be refreshing to go to a new team environment," Crawford said.

“I think it will be a good transition. I played with Luke Schenscher for a few years in Townsville. I roomed with Adam Gibson when we were in the Aussie team together and once you’ve been in the NBL as long as I have you get to know everyone around the league quite well.”

“I’m really looking forward to playing under Joey Wright as well. The guys seem like a tight bunch and he gets the best out of them so I’m excited about being a part of that group.”

Full article on NBL.com.au

Topic #34816 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Wilson to be announced next, you'd think.

PC - guess we'll see how he goes. Didn't see much of his play last season, but it wasn't that long ago that he'd done enough to make a Boomers squad. I don't believe that he's been an expensive signing for Adelaide.

Reply #481426 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Jamar Wilson?

Really?

Reply #481431 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

What a waste of time..

Reply #481433 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

He has had a stella career, but I can't imagine him replicating those successes in a Sixers jersey so if people are looking for something big I think they could be disappointed.

I hope to be proven wrong, but I have some reservations with this signing. A recent review of past players who have come to Adelaide in their twilight to soak up the ambience and shoot hoops would not inspire confidence. It's hard to forget the silky court skills Wade Helliwell dazzled fans with, guys like Marcus Timmons, Lanard Copeland, and Nathan Crosswell never seemed to quite hit the high notes in the Sixers Opera. Players like PC bring an air of maturity and leadership to a team, but are the Sixers lack in in that area?

However, he is a part of my team and as such I wish him the best at Adelaide and will support him.

Reply #481434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crawford confessed himself that his body wasn't right and he is working with a strength coach to get back to fitness so I think if he can get his body right this will b a great pick up for the sixers.. Big if but could be the signing the sixers need, defense and three point shooting.

Reply #481436 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hearing Jamar Wilson is going to sign as well.

Reply #481438 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

It's hard to forget the silky court skills Wade Helliwell dazzled fans with.

Love it!!

Reply #481439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vision of Big Red and PC Yogaring it up to get their old bag of bones through the season and Mitch PTing them..... I think our transition game is gone if we don't get a good signing... come on Joey.....

Reply #481441 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

PLEASE DO NOT SIGN JAMAR WILSON PLEASE, I BEG YOU.

Reply #481444 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Gross!

Reply #481453 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I loathe the potential signing of Wilson. I do not want it. I think it will be a failure.

I want to club to bring back Diamon Simpson.

Reply #481455 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah not liking these moves, where is the exciting factor that the run game provided last year? these guys might be solid but the fans love an x-factor and slow retread players are not the answer.

Reply #481456 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Think Corletto would have been a better option.

ADL wanted a shooter and Corletto can still put the ball through the hoop.

Reply #481457 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Where do you draw the on what is expensive? $50-70g's, $70-90g's? We'll have to wait until the end of next season to appreciate his real value.

I'am expecting him to have a solid impact off the bench and hoping the nickname Peter "the Microwave" Crawford sticks next season.

At the very least, it will make a nice change watching PC drop long bombs on the opposition instead of the 6ers, especially at the end of the game with the outcome uncertain.

Reply #481458 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Crawford is a good shooter, not the knockdown shooter he once was.

Joey's system will give him the space he needs.

As long as Crawford isn't asked to create.

Reply #481468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crawford is a wine (that Adelaide didn't have a lot of last season) and I guy very capable from 3 (that Adelaide didn't have a lot of last season). I have no problem if Adelaide plays a slower tempo if that means we go a step further. And fast breaks are easier to run with some 3 point shooters. Anyway, who knows if it will be a good signing or not. But he's pretty much just replacing Cadee or Carter so it's not the end of the world either way.

Reply #481471 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

lol yeah i dont know what people are getting worried about.

johnson/schenscher
petrie/bj anthony
crawford/creek
gibson / ?
wilson/ ?

i think that team would be very good.

wilson is good at penetrating and the defense wants to collapse on him. johnson can play low or high and spread the defense. creek can run the floor. crawf spread the defense. gibson handle the ball and score.

for me it all comes down to if johnson stays or not.

if he goes we would have a hell of a time finding a half decent big man to play in his spot. the big ginger (name escapes me) who played for breakers a while back would be a good replacement.

the problem with ervin was he was very good when he was and a liability when he wasnt. he could drive and score but wasnt a good creator for others i dont think. he seemed to get a fair few assists but i think wilson could be a better fit to play in a system. i didnt watch much of wilson or crawford last season though.

Reply #481476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have been haply with Ervin back under some steict conditions. I think he has eaten humble pie and was ready to make amends.

Reply #481481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJ Anthony,
Peter Crawford,
Mitch Creek,
Adam Gibson,
Anthony Petrie,
Luke Schenscher,
Brendan Teys,
Jamar Wilson.

Sorry , I have to say that this is not looking like an upgrade from last season. Even if DJ returns.

Reply #481486 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Phil...

Why would Creek be behind Crawford?

And where is Teys?

Reply #481487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would they be looking at something like this maybe

Gibson-wilson
Crawford-teys
import-creek
petrie-Anthony
johnson-Schenscher

Using wilson as a spark and having rotating swingmen

Reply #481488 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

What is the point of Crawford?... Crawford and Wilson are 2 of my least liked NBL players mainly due to age and past-prime. Why are they here and what can they even offer?

Reply #481489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

too many changes !!!!! disappointed

Reply #481490 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Lets not forget that every team is making changes to "catch up" to the Sixers and Perth. To judge whether the team's roster has been upgraded on last year is premature IMO.

It is clear to me the team will again be very deep talent wise with 2-3 key roster spots (including possibly a "marquee" player) still to be announced.

Reply #481491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey in Melbourne working out Joel Naburgs of Kilsyth and DQ of Dandenong.

Reply #481496 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wilson has been a known target since before the season ended. And yes, will be announced - mentioned on here ages ago. I think he'll be a case of playing a smarter, team game. And I can't see him coming off the bench - the backcourt will be him and Gibson surely.

Why Corletto over PC? Presumably PC can still defend. And yes, cheap by almost any measure.

Reply #481500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldnt of expected wilson to come off the bench either but if DJ stays, will the other import spot be used on a pg? Which is the position we don't have a back up in atm.

Reply #481505 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

Gibbo and Wilson will carry the ball and PC is capable of getting it up the floor.
All hinges on DJ. His decision impacts on the level of import and at what position. Judging by Joey's Vegas squad he is looking for a 3/4 with range.

Reply #481508 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Yea i think we need a import sf who can shoot the 3, handle the ball a little and be atleast a solid defender, KBrooks 2.0 would be ideal imo.

DQ is that sort of guy isnt he and he might be cheap enough to get without losing DJ.

I'd be happy with a line up of

DJ/Schenscher
Petrie/Anthony
DQ/Creek
Gibson/Teys/Crawford
Wilson/(Daly 11th man, Gibbo to play back up pg)

To me that would be no worse than last years GF side, possibly better if Crawford can get his shot going, DQ translate his SEABL form to a decent NBL form.

If DJ goes id go for a similar line up, would chase the best Aussie big out there (not sure who it is though?) have them split minutes with Schenscher and use Petrie at C at times if need be, if its a cheaper Aussie C could spend a bit more on the import sf.

Reply #481509 | Report this post

Agent Oso  
Years ago

DJ apparently exploring every option possible to keep him from having to deal with Dean Parker again....

Apparently not as well liked as I would have thought

Reply #481512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trouble is Dean reads this rot and believes it.

Reply #481513 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Finally back to just being Big Ads I see; well done on sticking it out :)

Reply #481514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not the Messiah at all. Dissent within the ranks is strong and bordering on the Smyth v Sanders days.

Reply #481517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Crawford has been signed to come off of the bench okay but as a starter will hurt us next season.

Reply #481554 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

i think if johnson comes back our roster is pretty well stacked

bigs

johnson , schensch , petrie and anthony would be in the top 1 or 2 best big rotations in the league.

guards

gibson , wilson , teys ,

all 3 are good defenders , play well with in a team system , and can hit from outside. as ive said i didnt see wilson at all last season so i dont know how much he has lost on his play.

wings.

crawford , creek.

imo both are top defenders in the league. along with petrie and gibbo that is a very good defensive line up. those four defenders line up well against any other 4 defenders you could name in the nbl.

crawf and creek (if creek continues his improvement from outside the arc) will help space the floor.

Reply #481558 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

people have complained for years that the sixers dont know what they are doing on the floor. ive seen that for a long time , a group of players who dont know how to play together.

now joey seems to be putting together HIS group of players and from what i can see they are all players who can follow a team plan. good defenders and guy who will play a team game.

im prepared to give this team a chance to prove what they can do. it would be good to see a team that was able to build around being a team rather than relying on the individual brilliance of a few. for years we have relied on a player (johnson , ervin, gibson) to have an epic game to win. when they had just average games we lost. a good team can have an average day from one of its stars (ie tony parker) and still win.

Reply #481560 | Report this post

Agent Oso  
Years ago

Or Joey was told he couldn't have HIS group of players and he had to go the budget option so this is what he ended up with?

Reply #481562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think Joey chose Ervin last year but think he has free reign this season. Crawford isnt a bad signing...offers something the Sixers lacked last year and is familiar with Schenscher (Townsville) & Gibbo (Boomers)

Reply #481584 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

I like Crawford at the 3 can space the floor and play d. Looks like 1 import if DJ is back

Reply #481601 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Just one question...........why?

Sixers make these announcements to keep us informed and get us excited about the coming season, but without context (what is the overall recruiting plan and team make up going to look like) how are we supposed to care? Bring in an old player hoping to find some form despite carrying a knee injury, and no word of anything other than another washed up point guard import reject perhaps coming to the team?

Give us something to get excited about!!

Reply #481606 | Report this post

kwest  
Years ago

Really hope they don't sign Wilson... There's a reason why we packed out the Arena last season. Excitement was a big part of that. We had too many years without excitement before last season and the crowd lapped it up. Now it looks like we're going backwards again.

Reply #481609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More people filled the Arena last season because of wins, not the excitement you talk of.

Do people even know what Wilson is capable of? He may not bounce around like the Energizer Bunny but he is a better floor general than Ervin and still possesses some crafty, silky skills. I think a lot of folks may be eating humble pie on this one...

For the record, I liked Ervin...went missing in big games away from home though.

Reply #481614 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

This is what you'll get with PC:

- I think he'll be healthy. He played only in spurts last year so burn out won't be a factor. He should be good to go with all that time to get his body right

- 3 pt shooting. He's still a great shooter. Not sure why people are saying he isn't.

- defense in spurts. Can't guard 1s or crafty 2s any more, but anyone who isn't great with the ball in his hands PC can still check. Don't expect him to be a lockdown wing defender though. Those days are gone.

- Slashing game. Guys close out on him way too hard and he can still get to the bucket once or twice a game, and somehow finishes surprisingly well despite it looking super-awkward.

This is what you won't get:

- Ball handling. You have to hide him especially against teams who press. He can't even handle the ball in the frontcourt at this point.

- Veteran leadership. He doesn't have that gene.

- Playmaking. Can't handle the ball to save himself or pass particularly well.

So to conclude: he will be valuable in limited minutes off the bench. The problem is he is almost unplayable against teams who trap because his ballhandling and decision-making is so damn godawful, so you need to play him at the 3 most of the time. The other problem is: he needs to keep ego out of it and accept whatever role is given to him. The flip side of that coin is: Joey needs to be running plays for him to get open looks. You can't sign a guy like that and then expect him to go get his own shot out of the rhythm of the offense.

Reply #481654 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Where he can be handy against traps is if his teammates break it, he can nail the three in transition, finish at the rim or just spread the defence to create lay-ups for others.

I like this signing. Adelaide won't depend on him, but he'll give them a perimeter weapon they didn't have last season.

Reply #481663 | Report this post

kwest  
Years ago

I said excitement was part of the reason. I don't care about team chemistry or everyone getting on. Just give us wins and play an exciting brand. I pay my hard earned to be entertained. Wilson puts me to sleep.

Reply #481666 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The other thing is he plays really, really well with Luke Schenscher.

Big Red's expert kick-out passing was useless when paired with the past couple of seasons of brick-hurling 36ers players.

Reply #481669 | Report this post

Kracka_Bballin  
Years ago

Ive said it before. Signing PC is a good signing IF DJ stays...gettin to be more and more of an if as time goes on. Having a 3point threat outside will give him more room to work down low.

If DJs uses his Euro out clause and buggers off, well i got no idea. Everythin hinges on imports then, and a replacement big guy.

Whats Nevil up to?

Reply #481675 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, Schenscher and PC in the second five works well, because big Luke is first rate at finding open shooters.

Reply #481680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kwest...wins don't generally come unless there is chemistry.

Reply #481681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It remains to be seen how much of a three point threat PC will be, he only shot 31% behind the arc last season.

He's a shell of the player he was two years ago but could be alright in a limited role off the bench.

Reply #481682 | Report this post

Kracka_Bballin  
Years ago

I think PC will find some form from the arm this season, less pressure, reduced roll and long recovery since his injury should help him. Plus the friendly hoops we have at the Arena should help him. Id like to see BJ run some solid picks, with a kick out from Big Red to find PC open in the corner.

Dont think we can expect much more from him than that tho. Its well and truly into the back end of his career, any improvements in his game, will come from abandoning development in others. I just hope we paid the right price for him.

Reply #481684 | Report this post

kwest  
Years ago

There was supposed chemistry and unity for the last 5 years before last year. Where did that get us? I liked the edge Ervin brought and really didn't give a toss if there was any issues with him behind closed doors because the team was exciting to watch and they won games.

Reply #481747 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754