Years ago

Wilson Signs With 36ers

As per Adelaides facebook page

"Jamar Wilson has signed with the club for the 2014/15 NBL season"

Dunno about this signing

Topic #34844 | Report this topic

skull  
Years ago

Jamar is such a talented basketballer....depends how coach plans to use him.

Reply #482007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone said it would happen. Not sold and don't believe its an upgrade but will support the boys. Like that its only a year, hope some cash is around for Joe or a flashy and good import.

Reply #482013 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wouldn't be jumping for joy if I was a 36ers supporter.

He is a solid import.

I think a lot of other teams are making big changes to their teams and will be vastly improved e.g Melbourne, Breakers, Kings.

Adelaide will have to keep up - not convinced the signings of Crawford and Wilson help that.

Reply #482015 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

The signings of Wilson and Crawford definitely help the 36ers cause... IF they are able to recruit a big gun type player. If not and its simply a solid import, we are toast compared to what the likes of Melbourne are putting together. Im ok with Wilson over Ervin, and Crawford is simply a nice vet to have. Looks like DJ is gone, so simple transaction of exchanging a talented DJ with a talented new face.

Reply #482017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

love this signing- great handles
Just need a import Big to replace DJ now.
Hope they don't sign a import small forward, it will only stop Creek & Teys from getting better & they can play that spot very well.

Reply #482018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like that Wilson is a 9.

Reply #482020 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Wilson is a solid citizen who plays hard every night and you know what you get.

If the coach uses him right (Which Joey will) he will create lot of great looks for others plus get his 16-20pts.

In a open game plan like joey's he could cause havoc and be very good next to Gibson!

Reply #482021 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I dislike the signing and would like to be proven wrong. I think Wilson is on the downslide myself.

I'd prefer the return of Diamon Simpson or someone who brings excitement.

Reply #482025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The core of the team is very solid.

Would have preferred the Sixers to sign a gun import and one or two young South Aussie players.

Reply #482031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh no. Chloraphil boraphil. This won't excite people to bring bums to seats.

Reply #482032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like it. Like people have said, though, it depends on whether or not Adelaide can bring in another gun player. If they can then Wilson is a good fit. Has the ability to take over a game like Ervin without as many negatives. Probably fits in a bit better.

Reply #482035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dissapointed as this was mentioned weeks ago and that seems a little shortsighted as surely you would wait for summer league etc to finish before signing an import.
Wilson wasn't going to get signed by anyone else so the sixers could have just waited and got the best of the leftovers at summer league and if nothing eventuates then sign Wilson.

Winning will bring people to the games, but I'm still hoping for a marquee or top quality import to bring that attitude and excitement.

Reply #482036 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

I'd be pretty happy to have Wilson and Crawford coming off my bench !!

Reply #482041 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Not impressed with either the Crawford or Wilson signing, at least in part because they are both well on the way to being past their peak in my opinion.

People seem to think Creek will step up and become the 'X-factor', but I wouldn't be banking on it.

At this stage I'm trying to contain the disappointment and waiting for the excitement - and the hope - because at the moment it feels like the 36ERS have found themselves in a 400m freestyle event in which they are at best dog-paddling.

And yes, I have paid for tickets, plus booking fee, plus parking.

Reply #482043 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I think we need to wait and see how the roster fills out to really judge this signing.

If its a direct swap for Ervin at the same price then its probably a break even move at best, there NBL stats are not too different, and Wilson may fit in with the coach and team better so on that basis it could be a upgrade, but wont be a huge difference either way. If this is the case, i dont hate it, but i dont love it either, i can sort of see what they are trying to do.

But, I also get the feeling that Wilson has come in a little cheaper than Ervin in both $$ and points, giving the 36ers a bit of flexibility to make other signings and other upgrades without really losing on the import pg. If thats the case then this could be a really good move. So this is why ill be waiting to see who else we get and how the team fits together before really judging this signing.

Reply #482044 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I will wait and see what happens with DJ or 2nd import before I judge this signing

Reply #482045 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

After doing the sums it seems we are at 54 points

Without DJ

Import (10)/Big Red (9)
Petrie (8)/ BJ (5)
Creek (6)/ Aussie (6)
Gibson (10)/ Crawford (6)
Wilson (9)/ Teys (1)

Crawford could play 2 or 3 so the backup Aussie could be 2 or 3. Possible player could be Daniel Dillon

With DJ we would have 9 players taken up 62 points

Johnson (8)/Big Red (9)
Petrie (8)/ BJ (5)
Creek (6)/ 8 point player
Gibson (10)/ Crawford (6)
Wilson (9)/ Teys (1)

So with Johnson we can afford an 8 point player no many imports are 8 points

Reply #482046 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I must admit i like the idea of Daniel Dillon and either DJ or a import big (Gary Wilkinson??) to round out the roster

Can never have enough guys who are athletic, can handle the ball, play great defense and shoot the 3 at a good clip imo, i liked what i saw of Daniel Dillon. Rhys Carter also fits this mould fairly well too and i wouldnt have minded seeing him back if Dillon isnt an option.

DJ/Schenscher
Petrie/BJ
Creek/Crawford
Gibson/Dillon
Wilson/Teys

Looks good to me

We would have basically swapped

Ervin for Wilson
Cadee for Crawford (Gibson will have to back up pg)
Carter for Dillon

All solid enough moves, but none are huge upgrades either, i think Crawford for Cadee gives us another guy who can play defense and shoot the 3, so if he can get his shot a bit better than last season could be a nice addition.

Also not sure about 8 point imports, Ron Dorsey??? i seem to remember him being a 8 or 9 but cant find his points ranking from when he was in the NBL last.

Reply #482048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson is a quality guy and popular with team mates. Very much in the mould of Butch Hays. I expect a change of scenery and out of Fearne's weird system to benefit him greatly. Give him a chance.

Reply #482049 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

Dillon was checking out the facilities and meeting Joey last week

Reply #482050 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

in the Adelaide upbeat System Jamar is going to shine!!

Reply #482052 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

if thats true re Dillon, that to me would be the most exciting signing of the off season, im a fan.

Im pretty sure he had signed to the Blaze to replace Cadee in the off season that the Blaze went under, so Joey must also like his game.

Reply #482053 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I would like this as our line-up:
Johnson / Schenscer
Petrie / Anthony
Import / Creek
Teys / Crawford
Gibson / Wilson*

Reply #482054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should we challenge Big Red's 9 point rating. Even if down to an 8 it creates a lot more flexibility

Reply #482055 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd be happy to have Jamar in my team, a quality player and person and should be thinking about citizenship soon enough. Could be a huge signing when you think of the loyalty of imports in the league and the potential of 4/5 new teams next season (when he could be an Aussie citizen).

My concern with the 36ers is still the reliance on Gibson... Face it the guys a dud and takes court time away from others that could develop into better players than he is.

Reply #482056 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Why do people have Teys as our back up PG. He can't run the point...

Reply #482057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom - Johnson isn't coming back ....

Reply #482058 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

Wilson has also played successfully with Dillon in the past

Wilson / Dillon
Gibson / Teys
Creek / Crawford
Petrie / Anthony
Import / Schenscher

2 2012 Olympians, MVP runner up, Upside of Creek and Dillon, NBA head of Schenscher, toughness of Petrie and Anthony with an unknown import or remote chance of DJ.

A lot to like about that line up

Reply #482059 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

yeah, i'm not sold on Creek or Gibson.

Reply #482063 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Gibson isnt a dud. Very naive statement proud.

Reply #482066 | Report this post

+ - is for nerds  
Years ago

Proud - are you serious????

You obviously know nothing about Basketball if you think Gibbo is a dud.
Just because he doesnt shoot 20+ shots per game and average 25pts you think he's a dud?
There are games when Gibbo shoots 5 shots, still scores 12 points but LOCKS DOWN opposing 1 and 2 guards while dishing 7 assists with 2 steals.
He is a great leader - perfect captain.

Creek on the other hand is living on hype. i think he is a dud and not worth the court time. he has no jumpshot or scoring brains, yes he can score points but give me his height, frame and athleticism and i would do a shitload more.
he is probably a great guy dont get me wrong but he hasnt evolved yet and probably never will.

Reply #482080 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

..wilson very good at times. only moderate others.
joey should get more outa him. I said;"Talalovich was crazy , Joe."

Reply #482083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ + - is for nerds - At this point of Creek's career I see him him pretty much exactly the same as Sam McKinnon was. It took Sam a long time (late 20s) to get anything like a consistent jump shot. Perhaps Creek should have a talk with McKinnon & see what he did to improve his shot???

So I think it's too early to call Creek a dud. Whether he's still a sixer when he starts hitting shots automatically is another question.

Reply #482084 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Wilson (9)/
Gibson (10)/Teys (1)
Crawford (6)/Creek (6)
Petrie (8)/ Anthony (5)
Johnson (8) or Import (10)/Schenscher (9)

Would bring back Carter or go Daniel Dillon for the last spot

Reply #482102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again Johnson not coming back

Reply #482107 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Hence why everyone is doing "Or Import"

Reply #482112 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Getting Jamar is one of the best decisions this team can make.

Jamar plays under control and can be trusted to make good decisions.

Ervin whilst more attacking, often runs into opposition tall timber and turns it over.

You will get better point guard play from Wilson.

I understand however the concerns over the inroads the United have made as compared to the Sixers.

Reply #482114 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Please chase Diamon Simpson.
He really would keep us up with the Joneses.
Best undercoached import we have had.
Pleeeeaaaase.

Reply #482118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We do not need the return of Diamon Simpson. History viewed through rose-coloured glasses in an appalling stretch of Sixers history. Could not hit a shot from more than three feet out. A poor man's poorer distant relative to a Dusty Rychart in his prime. There are far better big men out there.

Reply #482129 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Simpson was a gun and still is but we don't need him with Petrie on the team. He is too small to play centre, he's only 6"7

Reply #482130 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I suspect Diamon is out of the 36ers' price range now, even if he was a good fit with the rest of the roster, because they really need a big with decent range if DJ isn't coming back.

Reply #482142 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

joey in usa looking for djs replacement, story on tennews,last nite

Reply #482143 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah not sure about all this pro Simpson talk. Was okish, couldnt make a free throw to save hios life, and was merely a bright spot in a really poorly run system thanks to Clarke and Radford.

Reply #482144 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's a very good player, and his FT shooting has improved (69% last season) but he isn't what Adelaide need and he would now be expensive after two excellent years in Israel.

Reply #482145 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

schenscher scored freely over simpson (and weigh) didn't score on helliwell. neither did nevill.
anyways, joey looking for a tall athletic guy to replace triple mvp wineer, daniel johnson

Reply #482147 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Someone in the Mike Dunigan mould would suit the sixers imo.

Reply #482150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Wilson is a better fit for the Sixers than Ervin. It looked to me as though Gibbo was running the show from the SG rather than Ervin from the point. Wilson is a better general and that should free up Gibbo more offensively. Generally when Ervin drove he would just force up an ugly shot when in trouble, Wilson on the other hand is a better finisher around the rim but is also willing to feed it to the open man or kick it out to the perimeter where Gibbo, Crawford etc will be waiting for the catch and shoot.
Billy Baron would have been a good pg choice if they were going for a fresh face.
David Wear could be a good option to replace DJ.

Reply #482168 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

kobe24, Diamon's FT shooting at the Sixers was woeful. Too flat and teams worked out you just foul him and send him to the line. For him to be considered as an import, I think he would have to prove an 80% FT shooting record.

Steven, I agree that a Dunigan type would fit nicely into the Sixers. The biggest complaint around here has been a lack of aggression on boards with the Sixers giving up too many OR's. A Dunigan type to crash the boards to fit in with a running game.

Reply #482170 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Seems like a decent line-up brewing. Feels like its lost something from last season, although there are still slots to fill so I guess that is unavoidable.

Reply #482180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson/Daly
Gibson/Teys
Crawford/Creek
Petrie/Anthony
Wilkinson/Schenscher

Reply #482182 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Anon,
I like your line up but instead of Daly I would rather Dillion and even Carter

Wilson/Dillion
Gibson/Teys
Crawford/Creek
Petrie/Anthony
Wilkinson/Schenscher

Reply #482187 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I reckon you guys will be pleasantly surprised by both Wilson and Crawford this coming season. Both were pretty clearly suppressed by their coaches last time around. PC is far from done, he just needs the right opportunity.

Wilson loves to run and play in a setting that gives him space and Crawford loves a team that penetrates the lane and runs transition. Even though the ball stuck with Wilson at Cairns last season, I simply don't think Joey will let that happen this year.

Reply #482188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The line up looks very competent, if lacking a bit in appeal.

Coming off the back of a better season, it would be good now for the Sixers to show some commitment to local players and find a way to add a couple of local youngsters to the payroll.

Historically, SA seems to be able to produce a couple of NBL standard players every five years or so, but over recent years, not many seem to be finding their way to the Sixers.

Be great if talented young SA players saw the Sixers as an entry point into the NBL and a professional career. But that would take some commitment from the team too.

I gather that the owners are locals, even if Joey isn't?

i understand that you need to survive before you can prosper, but the club seems to be on a better track now. Hopefully, we some some more SA players in the Sixers' colours soon.

Reply #482201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon you guys will be pleasantly surprised by both Wilson and Crawford this coming season. Both were pretty clearly suppressed by their coaches last time around. PC is far from done, he just needs the right opportunity.

Boti just wrote an article saying Joey loves recruiting guys with chips on their shoulder and that both Wilson & PC have something to prove after the way they were used this past season at their previous teams.

Reply #482203 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Ah yeah I see. Good observation on Joey's recycling tendencies, and it's good to know Jamar is loyal like that.

Reply #482204 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

I just don't know what you Wilson detractors are on about.
Any one done a quick look over the stats for CNS-ADL games last season?
All considered the games weren't decided by either Point being obviously better.
Jamar is a handful. All teams struggle to contain his funky basket rolls. He'll unpick Cairns every time for you, and he's been taught the League by one of the best X's & O's coaches, a coach Joey openly respects. Get him to smile and he's a P R dream.
He'll draw a cheer when he's intoduced courtside in Cairns the first time. After the game there will be lots of rumblings about why he was cut.
One thing. He's a bit of a seal. 36'rs need to find a genial blue-water fishing enthusiast to keep the fish up to him ( he'll catch his own, he just needs taking where the fish are).
Cairns can't have everything. That's Adelaide's advantage.

Reply #482206 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Jamar's a gun and a great personality. If Joey uses him right he will be a complete handful with all the talent that's around him at the 36ers.

Reply #482207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree SS to Wilson's credit he wouldn't even bag Fearne off the record over the way he was used last season.

Reply #482209 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

My take is we are going to struggle shooting the ball again this season. Wilson shot just 29% from 3 last season and outside shooting is definitely not a strength of Gibbo's. This will mean PC will need to shoot and shoot well as Creek still cant hit the backside of a barn. We will probably lose DJ who is a good outside shooting big man, leaving us really lacking much from outside.

Reply #482237 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gibbo has shot 35% and 38% in his two years at Adelaide, I think you're a little harsh on him. The roster does need another shooter though.

Reply #482245 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I do remember Gibson coming over and scaring the daylights out of me one game with a 4th quarter 3pt burst...

At least I think it was Gibbo.

Reply #482352 | Report this post

Air-T 18  
Years ago

I'd say Dillon/Carter/Daly as the ninth signing then import as the tenth, agree that Dunigan/Wilkinson would be a good fit but worry about Wilkinson in the post on defensive end. I have it on good authority that the 36ers are very pleased with the signing of Jamar Wilson, has killer penetration and was underused bizarrely in Cairns last year, expect a return to previous seasons form and consistency in big games!!!

Reply #482372 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Simpson was interesting but seemed like a bit of a headless chicken out there.

Reply #482373 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:30 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754