Anonymous
Years ago

Brad Hill to the Hawks

I see he just signed for the Hawks for 2 seasons

not a bad move as he can play SG-PF

still only 27 years old so has a few years to give some good output under the right system !!

Topic #34856 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I wonder if they should go for Ballinger as another backup?

Reply #482238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, good move! Lets hope this move will see him reach his potential.

Reply #482239 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I wish Brad all the best. I think this is his 5th club?

He has always copped a bagging on here for being soft. Let's see what the Red Fox can do with him. He has a history of bring out the best in players.

Reply #482246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very lucky IMO , terrible the past 4 years really. Struggles with structure and average in D.

Reply #482250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will score 30 in pre season and then in the real season he won't play defence and go back into his shell.. Don't think he is the right for for Wollongong as he can't really hit the outside shot which the hawks heavily rely on. Happy for him to get another gig tho as the kings and Shane heal nearly killed his career

Reply #482251 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

If Hill doesn't play any D, he will find himself at the end of a classic Gordie "Im not mad, I'm just disappointed in you" speech during timeouts and practice.

And if Gordie can't help Hill play to his full potential then no one can.

Reply #482254 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You'd think Gordie and co are pretty aware of Hill's shortcomings and figure they can help or accommodate them, or that he's just a better option than a rookie. This is a backup role behind Coenraad, you'd assume.

Here's what I think they could look at:

Martin/Demos
Import 1-2/Import 2-3
Coenraad/Hill
Forman/Gruber
Davidson/Ballinger

The 1-2 would give coverage based on what Martin does and with the backup import, just grab the best player you can regardless of position. Someone no-fuss like Tiggs, or just get Tiggs if that's an option. Or Pace. Some bench energy.

Reply #482261 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Would Gary Ervin be a option for the Hawks?? Did Geordie want him back???

Then yea i agree a Tiggs or Pace type import would be perfect for that roster.

I also like Ballinger in there big rotation, shooters are always used well by Geordie and is a huge upgrade on Harris-Tunks.

Reply #482266 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

He's done ok, but the coaches haven't gotten the best out of him... Was on track for a great season with Sydney, but Young coming in put an end to that... Each time he got minutes though, he made the most of them... Give Gordie a chance and I reckon he'll be a good get...

The last thing that the Hawks need is another player to shoot from outside (which he's still ok at), but he's great to watch when he slashes to the basket and he rebounded well last season when given the chance...

Reply #482271 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

His first part of the season was great, and Heal was so full of praise with the way he was playing, only for them to bring in an import SF (The right play I might add) and the improved game of Garlepp, and eventual landing of Ellis basically left no more minutes in the rotation.

I think the Hawks small ball style could really lend itself to Hill. With Forman often sliding to the pivot, Hill is a tall, wirey and athletic stretch 4. His main issue is obviously going to be defending the PF's in the league.

Reply #482275 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Good signing Wollongong will have a versatile line up and a deeper than last year

Reply #482296 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Regarding him not being able to shoot from the outside, I think the Hawks will put a lot of pressure on him to be attacking with ball in hand and actually facilitate the other shooters. He has shown the ability to do it with big games here and there, but it's a mentality thing with him. Always has been.

I think Gordie will ride Hill all season long if he has to, whereas other coaches like Fearne and Heal may not be the types who help a guy's confidence. The 'system' aspect of Wollongong will help with that as well.

Reply #482297 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Always thought he was a potential X factor and maybe those reckless drives give the Hawks something different. Nice that Gordie felt comfortable enough to make it two years and that Brad doesn't have to move far from Sydney.

Some of his pre-Young games in Sydney weren't too bad. First two games were 13 and 9 against Melbourne, 16 and 10 against Perth then had 15 against Townsville in his fourth game.

Hill is the leading scorer at 19.6 PPG for Mt Gambier in the SEABL, and they're the top team.

Reply #482301 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Isaac, he has proven time and time again he has the ability, but with professional sport is 90% above the shoulders, do you think Gordie will be able to control his inconsistency?

Reply #482303 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

I see this as a very good signing for the Hawks. The Hawks don't seem to have any real athletic guys on their roster and Hill will provide that.

Their roster seems to be full of good, well structured players and Hill comes in with a little of that X-Factor or unpredictability. Could just be quite refreshing for Wollongong.

Reply #482305 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Issac is spot on. Before Young when he was getting time and the offense was working for him he was looking very strong (remember in preseason when he dropped 50, sure it was preseason but it's still 50).

Defensively he's always been strong individual defender. He's a great rebounder, great handles, can finish at the rim and while his ranged game hasn't been great he's worked alot on fixing that. I liked a lot of what i saw when he was in Cairns but I don't think Heal coached/used him adequately.

I reckon the Hawks have got themselves a keeper, he'll win MIP this season - bet Gordie's tiny playing day pants on it.

Reply #482306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KP, it was 42 points not 50.

Reply #482311 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

opps my bad, old volume shooters habit of rounding scores up to the nearest 50:)

Reply #482313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to mention that he's poor defensively, not strong!

Reply #482335 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Best of luck to him.

Reply #482336 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:13 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754