Anonymous
Years ago

Cavs Clear More Cap Room

Cleveland cleared more cap room completing a three team trade with Nets and Celtics.

Nets get Jarrett Jack and Sergey Karasev

Celtics get Marcus Thornton, Cody Zeller and a first rounder

Cavs get well plain and simple cap space! Now have $24m available. They also get the rights to Karaman, Drejer and Bavcic (I know right!). Obviously Cleveland believes James is a real option having given up Zeller and first rounder for nothing. Then if James is landed cavs will be persuing a trade for Love. Rumoured players that Minny want involve Thompson, Bennett and of course Wiggins.

Interesting times ahead!

Topic #34857 | Report this topic

Rav  
Years ago

With Jack gone, this frees up more minutes for Dellavedova.

The Cav's are also now trying to strike a deal with free-agent guard Ray Allen and/or forward Mike Miller as a means of enticing James even more about a return to Cleveland.

Also, Celtics get Tyler Zeller, not Cody.
Cody plays for the Hornets.

Reply #482258 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

If I was Minny I would do the Love - Wiggins trade in a heartbeat. Will be interesting to see what Cleveland do though – everyone wants Lebron and will jump off a cliff to get him. But it begs the question, is it really worth giving up Wiggins for him? Wiggins and Irving (as much as I dislike him) are the future of the franchise. Sure, you may get Lebron for a few seasons (but lets be honestly his loyalty hasn't been great so you can’t be confident of retaining him when his deal ends and in any event he is getting on a bit). With Wiggins you could have a franchise player for the next decade and some. Interesting times ahead. Possibility of winning a championship now vs. (the even less )possibility of winning multiple championships over the next decade.

Reply #482265 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

His loyalty is not great because he has left one team at the end of this contract? Meanwhile every other player is changing teams like they change clothes. I think the only reason LBJ would consider Cleveland is out of lost loyalty. Cleveland is a terrible organistation - you wouldn't go there to win rings.

Reply #482269 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Paul, cane across a great neme the other day.

Duncan loses in Finals..comes back and wins championship.

Lebron loses in Finals..leaves.

He is the best in the NBA though.

This just in..Lebron has signed with Cavs 5 yr $127m. Hes going there.

Reply #482273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any 5 year cavs rumour is false. They can only offer him 4 years. I don't like the chances of getting a sign-and-trade with the Heat done for LBJ.

Reply #482280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If most of the rumours come true, Cleveland looks to have assembled a really good line-up. I don't like the Kevin Love rumour, but if LeBron, Ray Allen and Mike Miller get added then all they need is another C and PG.

If ray Allen and Miller go there, then I could see them trade Dion Waiters, maybe for someone like a Bismack Bisoymbo to protect the paint. I could also see Greg Oden signing with Cleveland as the 3rd big.

Would also be interesting to se if someone like Jameer Nelson would be interested signing for the minimum seeing as Orlando pays the difference through the amnesty.

I could see this line up winning the East.

PG - Irving / Nelson / Dellavedova
SG - Wiggins / Allen / Harris
SF - James / Miller / Felix
PF - Thompson / Bennett
C - Varejo / Bisoymbo / Oden

Also have the option to run Allen at SG, Wiggins at SF and LeBron at PF to go small. I think Wiggins gives more versatility than Kevin Love and will be a lot cheaper on the salary cap. Automatic contender.

Reply #482282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Irving
Waiters
Wiggins
Lebron
Varejao

Reply #482284 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Lebron did the same - lost in finals came back and won a championship. He also lost in a finals and came back and didn't win a championship. He left when his contract expired and they didn't make the finals. Silly meme but most are.

Reply #482288 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Come on Paul, that Loyalty > Royalty billboard was pretty nice...

I wouldn't want to be responsible for that Love-Wiggins trade decision. Could really backfire.

Reply #482290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gota trade for love if the price is right. Win now maybe 2 championships.

Reply #482291 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I wouldnt trade Wiggins for Love. I dont reckon they need to, or really see a massive benefit.

Id keep Wiggins, he could play quite well next to LeBron imo.

Wiggins could play a Kawai supporting role, ie defend the best wing player, hit the open shot, use his athleticism to attack the rim playing minutes at sg/sf. Could be a great way for Wiggins to learn the NBA playing with LeBron, without the pressure of carrying a team straight away.

Kyrie and LeBron as the main scorers, 25-30pts with guys like Wiggins, Varajeo, Waiters, Thompson chipping in 10-15 pts each.

Dont reckon the need Love, especially if they sign guys like Ray Allen, Mike Miller etc to provide more 3pt shooting.

If the Bulls amnisty Boozer, then sign him if you want another scoring PF.

I wouldnt be giving up Wiggins for anyone, he plays defense and if his offensive game develops could be a really nice 2 way player, even if never becomes a franchise player, which he still may and many predict he will, he will still be very handy.

Having said all that a large part of me still reckons LeBron stays in Miami for another couple of years.

Then it may be sign Ariza and the next best guy available, i wouldnt bother trading for Love either way, sign him as a free agent if he becomes available next season or let someone else have him, i dont see him as a game changer and you never get good value trading for these guys, even the Knicks didnt really get great value when trading for Melo, its very hard to win a trade when you are receiving the best player, you often give up way too much depth/other assets which hurts you trying to put a good team around the guy you just traded for, so i wouldnt bother.

Reply #482294 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Lebron did the same - lost in finals came back and won a championship."

Um, well he wasn't going to bail after one year was he?! Pretty poor analogy from you Paul.

Duncan actually went through lean times where he was knocked out early in multiple years - from 2007 to 2013. He stayed the course, held his belief in the system, the players and the team and got his reward in 2014.

Reply #482307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

- This just in..Lebron has signed with Cavs 5 yr $127m. Hes going there. -

MACDUB are you being a troll with such a comment?

Reply #482317 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Haha, honestly No. I was on FB at the time and came across a picture that said BREAKING NEWS with those words attached. Little did I know, it was a 'Share to scare' phenomenon going around and he worked on me.

Reply #482319 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just poking fun at the punchline of your meme MACDUB.

Poor old Duncan had to stay at the dreadful Spurs while they gained 11 division titles, 6 conference finals and 5 championships with quality young blood coming up, the best coach in the NBA, accruing around $180 million and in a quality organisation with great management. How did he remain so loyal to this organisation and stay? And now he only takes a 10.3 million dollar contract at 38 years old. The man is a saint for staying.

Reply #482331 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Been wondering all day, with all this movement do you guys reckon Dellys future at the cavs could be coming to an end? I hope not but you never know!

Reply #482353 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wonder if Delly's had offers/interest from other teams just wanting a cheap back-up?

Reply #482371 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

You would hope they are getting Lebron, since they are giving away players for cap-space.
Bit embarrassing if he goes back to Miami.

They now have to trade 3 of the players they have left, ie Thompson, Bennett and Waiters just to match Love's contact.
Or Bennett, Varejao plus the rights to Wiggins

Reply #482394 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Please dont trade Wiggins, if he lives upto half of his hype he is better than Love ever will be.

You need 2 way players to win titles, Wiggins is Love isnt.

A team of

Irving/Dellavedova
Wiggins/Waiters/?? Ray Allen
LeBron/?? Mike Miller
Thompson/Bennett
Varajeo/?? someone like Elton Brand and/or Okafor

Looks pretty damm good for me, especially if Wiggins has a strong rookie year and he wouldnt have the pressure to be a star right away.

Looking at there salaries they seem to have $24 mil without LeBron, so $44 mil with him, does that mean they have approx $18 mil still left?? I dont know all the complexities of the salary cap so it may not be quite right.

But if they have that kind of space chase guys like Gasol, Deng, Bosh if he doesnt go to the Rockets, Monroe, even Melo $18 mil is better than the Bulls can offer and he gets to play with LeBron. Wouldnt give the full $18 to all of those guys, but could sign say Gasol for $12M and someone else for $6M.

If you cant get one of those guys go for 2 or 3 of the best mid range free agents.

Also if the Bulls let Boozer go, grab him on the cheap.

All of those moves are better than trading Wiggins and others for Love imo.

With that kind of cap space there is no way id waste time trading, you never get good value when bringing in a guy like Love through trade.

Reply #482402 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Oops that figure didnt include Wiggins,

So the Cap space would be more like $12 mil, still enough to make a solid offer to Gasol or Deng though.

Thats the path they should go down.

Please dont trade Wiggins!!

Reply #482403 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I think they only have around $21-22mil in cap space before they get LBJ, due to Wiggins and capholds for all roster spots that are currently free.
So if they get LBJ they will just signing cheap players or doing trades.

Reply #482424 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Could help Delly.

Teams that spend large on a few players (Irving, Lebron) won't have a lot of coin left for the bench players.

Delly did well for his rookie year and you could snag him at minimum and he would still be stoked.

Reply #482432 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

What if they renounce/lose Deng?? and most of the others? my understanding then they have got around the 12 mil, is that correct??

The salary figure i used from Hoopshype of $24M been used doesnt include Deng and any other free agents or Wiggins, so was thinking if they sign LeBron at say $21M, sign Wiggins at say $6M, it still leaves them around $12M in cap space if they renounce everyone else.

Which still leaves them with Varajeo, Irving, Bennett, Thompson, Waiters, Gee, Hopson, Dellavedova, Felix either under contract or the Cavs having team options, which if you add LeBron and Wiggins + the $12 mil and mid level exception to sign further players, which is a nice core.

Is that wrong??

Reply #482436 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

My understanding is Irving will make around $7.5M next season the max extension kicks in after that,

Reply #482437 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Ah my bad, the $24M total on the hoopshype website didnt include team options, so yea they wouldnt have the $12M left if they get LeBron, the real total is in the $40M range without LeBron and Wiggins and any of there free agents like Deng.

Would Deng be able to re sign over the cap if LeBron comes to the Cavs?? is that an option??

Reply #482439 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Id still sign LeBron and keep Wiggins though, trading a guy with Wiggins' potential before he plays a game is really really risky, the only players in the NBA id do something like that for is LeBron or Durant.

You could really regret it if Wiggins ends up anything close to those guys, which some think he will. He will be a star player who plays defense and better than Kevin Love in that case, so yea i wouldnt do it.

Reply #482440 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

They would have renounce their bird rights to Deng to be able to sign Lebron.
So they would not be able to go over the cap to keep Deng.
They are already talking to Ray Allen and Mike Miller as shooters off the bench, according to rumours anyway.

IrvingDelly
WaitersAllenGee
LBJWigginsMiller
ThompsonBennett
Varejao

Need some more bigs for D and rebounds.
Birdman maybe.

Reply #482447 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

If you could add say Birdman, Okafor, Brand, Boozer or a couple of those guys thats a really good team imo.

No need to trade for Love if it costs Wiggins.

Reply #482449 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:56 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754