NBL Fan
Years ago

Latest Brisbane NBL Team News

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/cant-fill-in-blanks-yet-but-bullets-to-return/

Boti has reported that a Brisbane team will "definitely" be back next year and that this year's pre-season tournament could be in an expansion location.

Fraser Neil has been in Brisbane recently which is a good sign.

Please comment your thoughts.

Topic #34859 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A Brisbane team is essential IMO to round out the capital cities and complete the league. Queenslanders like to be half a step out from the rest of Australia, but they need to be in step on this one.

Reply #482302 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Yes every capital city should have a NBL team and hopefully they bring back the 'Brisbane Bullets' not the 'Brisbane City' or some awful soccer name!

Reply #482308 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Brisbane United would be a good name ;)

Reply #482312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange this news has come about. I'd like to think I have my ear close to the ground here in Bristown, but haven't heard a peep!

I did hear from a good source two weeks ago that no side was likely in Brisbane in the short term. Basketball QLD-backed bid not going anywhere, and the Spartans movement not favoured by the league.

That said, I REALLY hope this is going ahead. Grassroots basketball here is going from strength to strength in terms of participation numbers, and I genuinely believe the community support is there ready to go. Having been to most Bullets games since 94 until their death, and then a large portion of Blaze games after that, I can't wait myself.

Reply #482323 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I would say the team could be part NBL backed????

Reply #482326 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Aaahhh Jack, you funny bugger, are you describing the 'hokie pokie' dance there mate?

I wonder what the cane toads think about that...

They certainly had their feet firmly planted in the origin game last night, didn't they!

Brisbane is a must, next season may be too early but it must happen IMHO!

Reply #482327 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I would love to see the Bullets back in the league, while I didn't support them growing up, they were the closest team to go and watch occasionally, so I have lots of fond memories in BrisVegas, but forcing the issue if there is insufficient long term backing/support will be DISASTROUS to the league...

Grass Roots might be going strong, but the crowds didn't turn up when they had NBL Pre-season or when they had Boomers games... Only so much can be attributed to poor advertising, I just hope things have changed in the last couple of years...

side note: I really hope the NBL isn't going to force things with more than two teams coming into the league in 2015/16, it really spooks me the way they keep talking like adding 4 teams at once will be a good thing, I just really couldn't disagree more...

Reply #482328 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good news. I did have to laugh about Knox being "a good hour" out of Melbourne. I live a good hour out of Melbourne and it takes me a good 45 minutes on the freeway to get to the SBC!

Reply #482329 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wookie, almost everything can be attributed to how a product is marketed.

Reply #482330 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

If they have to be dragged into the league then we don't need them. With one team in Vic,SA & WA we don't need 3 in Qld.

Reply #482332 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I am from Brisbane myself and when the "Sunshine Challenge" (pre-season) tornament was held in Brisbane a few years ago it was terribly promoted.

I don't remember any advertising or media coverage at all except for the NBL website.

Reply #482339 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Even if the thing were held in Adelaide I don't know if it would get outlandish support levels. South Island or Tasmania (another south island) might pique interest. If the Tasmanian crew really pushed their clubs to drum up support, that might work. Plus you could host games at various venues and then get everyone together for finals and photos, skills testing, interviews or whatever.

Reply #482369 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Bear, Queenslanders are an interesting breed IMO, eh but.

I lived there years ago and at the time Holdens catch cry was "Australia's Driving Future", but in Queensland, it was "Queensland Driving Future". Ask a Queenslander and they are a Queenslander first followed by a Australian.

At the time I was living there Powers Brewery had started (Bernard Power had been asked by Sandgroper Alan Bond to move on after he bought it) and so they boycotted XXXX and were drinking Powers. Where I was, XXXX was basically being given away, whereas you had a single 6 pack limit on Powers.

Reply #482376 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:34 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754