Anonymous
Years ago

Opals vs NSW Country U 20 team

Currently playing, girls started well, now falling behind a bit but only trail by 1

Topic #34863 | Report this topic

Ballislife  
Years ago

Just curious........ What's a respectable result in this game for the opals?

Reply #482358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/20138/05/47/89/53uenhwF1ph6E/

20 point loss about par I guess?

Reply #482359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lost by 21,

They went alright, started very well

Reply #482360 | Report this post

watcher  
Years ago

opals offense broke down due to speed,leap and reach of the boys. A lot of early outside shots put up without giving an offense the chance to create shots. Losing cambage early hurt.

Boys played the game in a great spirit.

Reply #482365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did Cambage go?

Reply #482366 | Report this post

watcher  
Years ago

injured left ankle in bucket of ice.

Reply #482368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do people think of the opals roster?

I'm not a fan of burton's game, would much prefer francis at the PF position. (Jackson>Francis>Burton)

Where was Kelly Wilson and Laura Hodges? (locked in already?)

We know Taylor, Phillips, Jackson and potentially Kunek are going to be added to the squad. So.
in the early warm up stages for the opals, which 4-6 players do you think will come out to make room?

Reply #482380 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

What ball did they use?

I remember playing a womans team with the GF6 (?) smaller ball. What a disaster that was LOL.

Only one size down, but considerably smaller and lighter. I remember us lads throwing up absolute bricks. Every shot was long by about a metre.

Reply #482390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They would have played with a 6

Reply #482395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a box score available anywhere???

Reply #482404 | Report this post

sportsfan  
Years ago

Wilson has been injured since the last camp so i be guessing thats why she didnt play

Reply #482412 | Report this post

Opals  
Years ago

They need Jenna O'Hea and Abby Bishop

Reply #482425 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Burton is not impressive that's for sure, but Joyce like her, bit like Lavey, they leave you sctratching your head as to WHY!!, but if Joyce likes you your in with a shot.

Reply #482444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lavey is a year or two away. I believe lavey, wallace, panousis and tupea will be fighting for that No 1 PG position in years to come.

I dont know what to say about burton...
jackson, francis and hodges should be the PF's.

I would probably choose langford and thompson before I chose burton.

Reply #482459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tupuea is no PG proved this in un17s, Wallace is a better SG, and more will emerge in the next few years to challenge those names for sure

Reply #482512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Lavey was running point with Wallace at 2, I'd be happy with that. But, when Lavey is off.. Wallace runs the show.

Reply #482522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be at least another 5 maybe 6 years before these names would be looking to get a run, many many more names will emerge in that time lol, it's like fantasy football

Reply #482535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you look at the ages of mitchell(29) wilson(29) phillips(29) hurst(31) mcully(32) you are going to have to replace them in just a couple of years.

In 2 years:
Lavey(21) > (23)
Wallace(18) > (20)
Panousis (19) > (21)
Tupaea (17) > (19)
Mangakahia (19) > (21)

We dont really have many point guards in that middle age bracket, unless you have cole running the point whos only 22 herself or mcleoad at 28.

Reply #482571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You also have
Clydesdale 21 current SEABL rangers
Antoniadou current un19 gems group
Pirini current un19 gems group

All true PGs unlike Tupaea and Wallace , Wallace is wasted in the PG spot she's too good a shooter but can play the 1/2 same as Clydesdale and Antoniadou.

Reply #482642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

antonidou is more of an SG, clydesdale and pirini are not nearly as good as the people above, both in offense and defense.

Wallace is better in every category, hands down. It shouldn't matter if she is also a good shooter. She's vocal on the court, directs traffic, has good handles, quick, good height at 5'10+, hustle, good shooter(mid range and 3), great passer, great defender(steals the ball alot) and a good shot blocker and rebounder for a guard.

The girl is off to baylor... a top 5 college for div 1 womens basketball. A team that just had odyssey sims last season and brittany griner the season before.

Reply #482694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Antoniadou is a pg. who can shoot, ever watched her direct traffic and bring players into the game she had the coolest head at un18 nationals last year. Not taking anything from Wallace think she's a fantastic player all round, but I'd put her as a shooter first Pg second and Antoniadou PG first shooter second. Kristy loves to shoot first pass second, that's a shooters mindset, were as Antoniadou will always look for the open player first.

Reply #482713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will have to agree to disagree. antoniadou in my opinion is a primary SG and secondary PG.

as a PG:
Her handles (tends to go to the right, weaker on the left)(Not as capable with scoring from either hand.)
Not a great vocal leader and court organiser. (has trouble directing traffic from the top of the key.)
Gets in trouble when pressure is applied when being guarded in a stationary position.

as a SG:
Great speed to get pass the first man and driving to the basket or dishing to open player.
A great spot up and 3 point shooter.
A moderate defender, not as tenacious as wallace.

u19 (96'- born) lineup something like this:
PG Wallace 5'11/Tupaea 5'9
SG Antoniadou 5'9/Sharp 6'0
SF K.Froling 6'2/Maley 6'1/ Burton 5'10
PF A.Froling 6'3/Fareo 6'3/Bibby 6'1
C Scherf 6'5 /Smith 6'3

Reply #482733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting line up for un19s you have there. I'd agree with the other poster though re Antoniadou, great on CRT leader seen her go either way many times and very vocal as soon as she's got the ball she's barking orders. But Wallace is an excellent player. Both have many years yet before they are ready for the big time though, with Wallace in college at Baylor she should come back even better.
Lots of talent floating around for future years with the amount that are going to college, it will be interesting to see who rises to the top

Reply #482742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The u19 worlds are in mid july next year(not long). As of now, that would be my lineup (^).

We are 2 or more years away from determining if they will go pro or be a good fit for the opals, eventhough they have already played for there country many times and been to many national camps.

Either way they will both be on the floor as 1.5's.
No pirini, No theodore running the point like in the pacific championships please.

Reply #482743 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:42 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754